Just when I thought the movie industry couldn't dig itself deeper...

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: Just when I thought the movie industry couldn't dig itself deeper...

Postby Rusakov » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 pm

The early reviews are coming in and...

Ooh... ouch.

These are just the early reviews, and we won't know for sure if it will be a flop until box office numbers start coming in (the film won't open until tomorrow) but this is not a good sign for the movie.
0 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 pm

0 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 am

Rusakov wrote:And before I forget: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_emoji_movie

Just entered this... not a single positive review TboneLaughCait
1 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:34 pm

Cait wrote:Just entered this... not a single positive review TboneLaughCait

Bad news: it's up to 6%.

Worse still: domestic gross SO FAR is slightly above $10 million USD according to Box Office Mojo. Compare to its budget of $50 million USD.

Again, probably too early to tell if it will be a financial disappointment. But this is not good news. TboneSwearCait
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:27 pm

I thought I might add my two cents to this discussion, since the movie is out. Whenever a movie comes out and I go to see it, I disregard critic reviews entirely. I judge the movie based on my own merits by watching the trailer or seeing it for myself. If the trailer looks good, I'll go see the movie. If the movie sucks, then at least I can say I didn't see it coming. The trailer looked pretty stupid to me, so when my family asked if I was going to see it with them, I said no.

I can't judge the movie for myself as I've never seen it. I'm still sorta young too, so it's hard for me to judge things well in a critical way. Sometimes movies panned by critics are movies I liked. Not ones I'd buy the DVD for, but decent enough. My family liked it, and I'm not gonna take that away from them because I've never seen the movie. I probably wouldn't like it because even the trailer couldn't get a smile out of me, but if my family liked it, that's their opinion.

I know people rely on critics a lot, but sometimes it goes a long way to watch a movie and judge it on your own. That's the choice I've made and I'm gonna stick to it. Sometimes I won't even look at critic reviews until after I've seen the movie. I won't force people to do what I do, but it's helped me out to find movies I genuinely like while others hate them. Although, this movie might turn into a "so bad it's good" movie like The Room where it's simply fun to criticize it. I dunno, I'd have to see the movie before I have a full opinion on it.

If anyone here has seen the movie, have the critic reviews proved their points or did you like the movie at least to some degree?
2 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

Return to “General Discussion”