Lowdog's Terra/Lingering Will Run

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination
Flag: United States of America

Lowdog's Terra/Lingering Will Run

Postby LowdogCraft » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:57 pm

So I'm sure all you Kingdom Hearts 2 HD players remember Lingering Will, right?
*War Movie-esc Flashbacks*
Anyways, this is one of my winning runs, done on Proud mode at Level 99. All Drive forms are at max level with max drive gauge. I don't know all of the abilities that I have off the top of my head, but I'll give some advice as well as what abilities, items and customize options I use for the most part so I can help other KH2:HD players out who wanna fight this boss. (Looking at you, Cait! TboneLaughCait )
So before the wall of text I'm about to put up, here's the run for anyone who just wants to see that. This is absolutely NOT a perfect run,
and I don't have all my stats maxed to 99. That'll be for when I farm the Data Organization for stat boosts.
Perfect thumbnail by the way. Alright, onto my tips and what abilities, items and customize options I used.
Abilities:
-Guard
-Guard Break
-Explosion
-Finishing Plus
-Combo Master
-Counterguard
-Slapshot
-Flash Step
-Sliding Dash
-Combo Plus x2
-Aerial Dive
-Aerial Spiral
-Aerial Finish
-High Jump LVL3
-Quick Run LVL3
-Dodge Roll LVL3
-Aerial Dodge LVL3
-Glide LVL3
-MP Haste
-MP Rage
-Damage Drive
-Item Boost
-Second Chance
-Once More
-Aerial Recovery

Items
Keyblade: Ultima Weapon (gained through synthesis)
Decisive Pumpkin (Gained after 2nd Halloween Town Visit) is also viable.
If you want to spam magic instead of physical combos, use Winner's Proof (do all of the Mushroom XIII), Photon Debugger (Complete Space Paranoids 1st Visit), Mysterious Abyss (Complete Atlantica's five visits), Bond of Flame (Gained after the fight alongside Axel in Betwixt and Between before The World That Never Was). Other keyblades with magic above five are useful, but depending on what spell you want to spam, use the according keyblade. Be sure to also equip the according ability.

Spam Firaga: Bond of Flame and Fire Boost
Spam Blizzaga: Mysterious Abyss and Blizzard Boost
Spam Thundaga: Photon Debugger and Thunder Boost
-Ether x8 (Elixirs and Megalixirs are the ones you really want to have, but you have to make them through item synthesis.)

Armor:
-Ribbon x2
-Petite Ribbon
-Grand Ribbon

Accessories:
-Full Bloom
-Star Charm
-Cosmic Arts
-Executive's Ring

Customize:
Circle: Reflega
Triangle: Firaga (supposed to be Ethers, but forgot to change my customize)
Square: Thundaga
Cross: Curaga

Donald and Goofy both on Sora Attack.

Tips:
-Unless you take off Guard Break, NEVER do three combos on LW. Always combo into Guard Break, then start a new combo and use both Guard Break and Explosion. This guarantees that LW can't retaliate before the recovery lag after Explosion.
-Doing this same strat during his second phase will lock him into doing his Desperation Move (DM) every time.
-Only heal when you're safely on the ground. This will ensure that you can use Leaf Bracer when he attacks to block hits.
-In PS4's 60fps, there's a glitch where you cannot stand still after blocking LW's first punches in his punch attack, otherwise his third punch will hit. To mitigate this, use Reflega or Dodge Roll slightly after his third punch. If you use Reflega, only do one combo, using both finishers.
-LW has two auto counters, one at 5 1/6 HP bars empty, and one when he has about 6 bars left. His first auto-counter will almost always be either his Keyblade Whip or Rising Sun, so I suggest either spamming Dodge Roll or Reflega.
-Only heal at 1HP exactly as not to waste Curaga. It takes all your MP and you need as much MP as you can get, even with a bunch of MP Haste abilities equipped. Second Chance and Once More both guarantee you to stay at one HP after massive damage or a combo.
-Usually after two Rising Sun volleys (his dash attack he does alone without his glider that he does in groups of three), spam Reflega so you don't get stunlocked by Keyblade Whip. He can either do this move or a third volley of Rising Sun, so just keep spamming Reflega if he does either.
-Anytime LW jumps towards you, or is just standing on the ground, you need to attack him FAST before he goes to do another move.
-Whenever you have the chance, open your Drive menu and set the cursor over Limit Form, but don't go into Limit Form. Just press Circle to exit the menu. Next time you do a huge combo and want to input Limit Form to use Ars Arcanum or Sonic Rave for massive damage, you can easily press X twice after navigating to the Drive option.
-His DM is hard at first, but easy to block once you know how to do so. Back up away from him when the sky goes dark and he starts charging, but not too far as he'll teleport and wreck your face. Input guard three times when he starts attacking. Then Aerial Dodge and Glide towards the edge of the cliff that the battle takes place on after his attacks. Turn your back to the edge, as this will prevent him from coming up behind you. Next, Guard four times to block all his attacks after he teleports then Dodge Roll his last Thunder Surge dash, preferably into the direction he's facing. Then you can hit him with my combo that I said to do earlier. This will loop him into doing his DM every single time.
-Guard has more invincibility frames than Dodge Roll, but longer recovery time. Use Dodge Roll if you can time it well in place of Guard. If LW doesn't hit you during your Guard in his DM, he can attack you again and you'll be stun-locked. Reflega can also be used, but don't spam it during his DM.

Well, that was quite the wall of text, eh? My video demonstrates my points rather well and if you need further explanation, here's a video of Soraalam1's tutorial on how to fight the Lingering Will. He helped me a lot with dodging LW's desperation move. However, I don't recommend his "three combos with four finishers" strat on PS4 as I've seen that this strat is very inconsistent on 60fps. I also don't recommend equipping Dodge Slash as it can whiff hits very easily.

To all future fighters of the Lingering Will, I give you my blessing and good luck. RazHappy

Or you can just use Fenrir and Negative Combo and stagger him forever. RazSilly
Last edited by LowdogCraft on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Re: Lowdog's Terra/Lingering Will Run

Postby Cait » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:36 am

Really, REALLY useful! You know... I have never beat Lingering Will yet RazEmbarrassed When I saw him beating me in 3 hits at level 99 semiprepared AND in normal mode I said... screw it, gonna boost my stats to 255 before that xD Last time I played I had all stats around 170... Maybe it will make a difference RazSilly

Well, time to clean the dust of my disc and try it again (I want that crown in my head so bad LOL)
0 x

LowdogCraft

Postby LowdogCraft » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:57 am

Cait wrote:You know... I have never beat Lingering Will yet RazEmbarrassed When I saw him beating me in 3 hits at level 99 semiprepared AND in normal mode I said... screw it, gonna boost my stats to 255 before that xD Last time I played I had all stats around 170... Maybe it will make a difference RazSilly

Don't worry, it took me over 30 tries at least before I finally beat him on Proud mode. Now I get to try and do it on my Critical Mode save file. RazEmbarrassed

Boosting your stats will indeed help, you'll just have to keep an eye on LW's lifebar as he'll hit his auto counter points WAY sooner. If you need to farm stat boosts, you can synthesize them or fight the Data Organization fights. They'll always give you stat boosts (or in the case of the Absent Sillhouettes, Manifest Illusions), but unless you can quickly kill them, synthesis item grinding by using Lucky Lucky abilities and potentially Jackpot abilities may be your best bet.
1 x
~Lowdog002
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

SVMON94
Resident
Flag: Finland

Postby SVMON94 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 am

What a coincidence,i'm currently attempting to play all kingdom hearts games on the 1.5+2.5 remix bundle disc on the ps4 in hopes of making any sense of the convoluted plotline of kingdom hearts. I hate it when the important plot points are overshaded by nonsensical exposition about darkness. I'd say the first one started off with a nice simple plot and then the writing and the character interactions started going downhill with the handheld games. Just feels that the plot isn't going forward. So yeah in retrospect kingdom hearts wasn't as great as i remember em but i still enjoy playing them. Anyway sorry for derailing this into a general kingdom hearts thread. I'll keep that guide of yours in mind in case i feel like going for the optional bosses. (and hopefully not get any hand injuries)
0 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Cait » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:42 am

LowdogCraft wrote:Boosting your stats will indeed help, you'll just have to keep an eye on LW's lifebar as he'll hit his auto counter points WAY sooner. If you need to farm stat boosts, you can synthesize them or fight the Data Organization fights. They'll always give you stat boosts (or in the case of the Absent Sillhouettes, Manifest Illusions), but unless you can quickly kill them, synthesis item grinding by using Lucky Lucky abilities and potentially Jackpot abilities may be your best bet.

Materials are very easy to farm. Just a few runs in the corredor previous to the data organizacion hall for dense and twilight crystals (to create mitril) and some more runs in Space Paranoids for lighting crystals. The rest are very easy to get. In just one hour I can stack enough materials for 5-7 boosters. The thing is that boosters are also VERY usefull for Riku... hehe, yeah, the data fight of Xenmas. Riku part is a real hell there if you don't have defense.
0 x

Katney
Resident

Postby Katney » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Personally I used what's considered the "Easy" method to beat the Lingering Will. Granted, I tried the normal way several times before I went this way. XD I equipped Fenrir and negative combos (so every attack is a finisher), removed all my combo pluses and high jump. Avoid LW's opening attacks, run up to him when he's open for an attack, and then jump-attack-jump-attack-etc over and over until his health runs out. ViperLaughCait Be careful not to break the pattern or he'll escape and attack you again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJHxIjBlq0
1 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Cait » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Katney wrote:Personally I used what's considered the "Easy" method to beat the Lingering Will. Granted, I tried the normal way several times before I went this way. XD I equipped Fenrir and negative combos (so every attack is a finisher), removed all my combo pluses and high jump. Avoid LW's opening attacks, run up to him when he's open for an attack, and then jump-attack-jump-attack-etc over and over until his health runs out. ViperLaughCait Be careful not to break the pattern or he'll escape and attack you again.

That's not fun! You're bulling him! RazorAnnoyedCait

Now seriously... WHAT!?!? Is it really that easy!? Ok, I'm done... RazDumbfounded
0 x

LowdogCraft

Postby LowdogCraft » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Katney wrote:Personally I used what's considered the "Easy" method to beat the Lingering Will. Granted, I tried the normal way several times before I went this way. XD I equipped Fenrir and negative combos (so every attack is a finisher), removed all my combo pluses and high jump. Avoid LW's opening attacks, run up to him when he's open for an attack, and then jump-attack-jump-attack-etc over and over until his health runs out. ViperLaughCait Be careful not to break the pattern or he'll escape and attack you again.

Yeah, the method is really useful for farming Manifest Illusions, but I personally don't like to go for it as I feel like it sort of kills the fun in fighting him. Although that's just me. I must say though, it's pretty hilarious seeing a powerful opponent fall to two abilities practically. RazLaugh
1 x
~Lowdog002
LGBTQ+ Supporter

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Cait » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:26 am

I'm curious... Did you record that with the PS4 share option or did you use something else? I'm looking for something that allows me to record without those "sopiler" restrictions PlayStation has... Or even stream, that would be cool!
0 x

LowdogCraft

Postby LowdogCraft » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Cait wrote:I'm curious... Did you record that with the PS4 share option or did you use something else? I'm looking for something that allows me to record without those "sopiler" restrictions PlayStation has... Or even stream, that would be cool!

I used the PS4 share menu to record this. I don't have an Elgato or an Avermedia to record console games, so this is the best I have.
1 x
~Lowdog002
LGBTQ+ Supporter

Return to “General Discussion”