Cartoon Network and used car salesmen

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Casandro
Fandom Veteran
Flag: Germany

Re: Cartoon Network and used car salesmen

Postby Casandro » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:16 am

Felony wrote:I want to know who thought 15 minute episodes as opposed to 30 minute episodes was a good idea.

Actually in some markets, for example the German one, Children's shows must not be interrupted by commercials. So if you want to sell your show there, it needs to be short.
3 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Postby Rusakov » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:49 pm

And this seems obligatory for this thread.

:P
2 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:21 pm

Though there is an alternative theory that I know of:

3 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:36 pm

And another post >.<

It probably wasn't Cartoon Network alone who's having this problem. It's quite likely their parent company Warner Brothers has had it for quite some time.

Case in point: The Iron Giant (released 1999).

The film was critically acclaimed and people liked it, so why was it a financial disappointment?

According to the then CEO of WB:

People always say to me, 'Why don't you make smarter family movies?' The lesson is, Every time you do, you get slaughtered."

Uh-huh...

I think Brad Bird has a more accurate diagnosis:

The movie business at large, it’s nomadic. You know, you assemble your creative team, you make the film, and then the team disbands. Well, in animation it’s so time-intensive, and it’s got a million moving parts, and you really have to build a team, and then you have to hold the team together. So they were trying to follow the Disney model of having a division. But they didn’t realize that Disney took years to build that division.

They spent a lot of money on a lot of not-very-well conceived projects, and they were kind of exiting the stage. And it was cheaper to have us finish our film than to scrap it. So we were finished — but they didn’t really have any expectations for us. So the great thing when we were making it was that, as long as we produced it efficiently, they left us alone. And the terrible thing about it is that when it came time to come out, they [laughing] kind of left us alone.

Used car salesmen, in other words.

I just thought about this while I was watching a video on The Incredibles, even though I knew about The Iron Giant being poorly handled by the distributor long before this. Me and my dumb brain. :?
2 x

Swatkatfan21
Resident

Postby Swatkatfan21 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:37 pm

I have been stuck out in the middle of nowhere the last couple days. Aside from helping my parents with some heavy lifting projects I have tried killing time catching up on cartoons. This is day three and the line-up still hasn't changed. RazHurt Even adult swim has been the same shows night after night. The sheer lack of variety has becoming mind numbingly boring ChanceSleep

Even switching networks hasn't helped as Disney, Nick, and Boomerang play the same shows just like CN. It is enough to drive an animation lover crazymadkat !
3 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Swatkatfan21 wrote:I have been stuck out in the middle of nowhere the last couple days. Aside from helping my parents with some heavy lifting projects I have tried killing time catching up on cartoons. This is day three and the line-up still hasn't changed. RazHurt Even adult swim has been the same shows night after night. The sheer lack of variety has becoming mind numbingly boring ChanceSleep

Even switching networks hasn't helped as Disney, Nick, and Boomerang play the same shows just like CN. It is enough to drive an animation lover crazymadkat !

Indeed. DisneyXD is at least a hit-or-miss network, but that's only good in comparison to all of the other networks because the other networks are near constant misses now. HardDriveIcon
1 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Then this happened last month (I didn't know about it because I don't watch Cartoon Network much any more):

All those yellow parts are TTG. O.o
4 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Rusakov wrote:Then this happened last month (I didn't know about it because I don't watch Cartoon Network much any more):

Oh... my... god... They should do with SWAT Kats, I'm sure that will boost/spread A LOT not only SK:R hype, but also their audience having in mind it's "something different" and doesn't have for every episode an stereotypical or already seen plot... And I'm not talking just about TTG, but of almost every show Cartoon Network has right now on its channel. It's just boring. ChanceSleep Anyway, 4 days!? Just a day is ok. Lot's of channels do that, JUST ONE DAY. It's like that "James Bond Channel" that Movistar has now cos the new film... James Bond films there all day (but at least they have as an excuse that it's a temporal channel created for that!).

That video says very clear how stupid CN idea was. Lack of common sense and inteligence makes me ill. jakesick
Last edited by Cait on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Cait wrote:
Rusakov wrote:Then this happened last month (I didn't know about it because I don't watch Cartoon Network much any more):

Oh... my... god... They should do with SWAT Kats, I'm sure that will boost/spread A LOT not only SK:R hype, but also their audience having in mind it's "something different" and doesn't have for every episode an stereotypical or already seen plot... And I'm not talking just about TTG, but of almost every show Cartoon Network has right now on its channel. It's just boring. ChanceSleep

I agree with you Cartoon Network could've at least say Yes they could put SK Revolution on Adult Swim or Boomerang but Noooooooooo They Teen Titans Go the most and Power Puff Girls (2016) XP but at least they aired the Original Teen Titans which I like it
2 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Prettyshadowj26 wrote:I agree with you Cartoon Network could've at least say Yes they could put SK Revolution on Adult Swim or Boomerang but Noooooooooo They Teen Titans Go the most and Power Puff Girls (2016) XP but at least they aired the Original Teen Titans which I like it

Yeah, they're airing classic Teen Titans as well these days.

They might be learning their lesson... very slowly.
1 x

Return to “General Discussion”