Movie ticket sales are declining

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Movie ticket sales are declining

Postby Rusakov » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 pm

You'll find this interesting, Cait. ;)

Hollywood’s bad summer movies are driving a decline in movie ticket sales

While some people may point at The Emoji Movie as the root of all that is wrong with Hollywood, The Wall Street Journal reports that the problem goes much deeper than a single misfire featuring Patrick Stewart as a poop emoji.

WSJ reports that movie attendance has dropped by 5%, compared with the same period in 2016, and revenues are down, too, dipping just 2.9%, thanks to higher ticket prices making up for the lack of ticket sales. On Aug. 2, AMC shares dropped 27% in one day, the WSJ reports.

While films like Beauty and the Beast, Wonder Woman, and Get Out fared well at the box office, they were the anomalies in a year full of box office disappointments. Instead of giving moviegoers more badass female leads and genre-bending horror films, Hollywood keeps throwing gobs of money at an unwanted fifth installment of Pirates of the Caribbean, more Transformers movies, and putting $175 million into King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and then clutching their pearls in shock that no one wanted to see them. But rather than cranking up Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror” and doing a little introspection, they are probably just going to blame Netflix and HBO, completely ignoring the fact that Netflix’s Okja and HBO’s The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks were a hell of a lot better than The Mummy.

I'm going to reiterate part of that last paragraph because it's so important:

Instead of giving moviegoers more badass female leads and genre-bending horror films, Hollywood keeps throwing gobs of money at an unwanted fifth installment of Pirates of the Caribbean, more Transformers movies, and putting $175 million into King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and then clutching their pearls in shock that no one wanted to see them.

I've talked about how I feel this is similar to the shovelware phenomenon that trashed the U.S. video game industry back in the 1980s. As TV Tropes put it so elegantly:

Shovelware, also known as "crapware" or "trashware", is essentially lowest-common-denominator software. Perhaps the software was created to take advantage of a fad. Perhaps it was made to cash in on a bit of marketing share of something eminently useful. Or perhaps it was an actually good or clever idea that either suffered severe budget cuts and time constraints, or was simply made as an afterthought in the developers' spare time.

Regardless of how it was made, almost all examples of shovelware are made with little thought or care, as if they just scooped up a load of software from a trash heap, dumped it on a table and slapped on a price tag, hence the name.

Pushing out crappy products for quick bucks? Hhhhmmmmm... FeralFrown
2 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Re: Movie ticket sales are declining

Postby EricoBard » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:38 pm

Something happens when you put on a suit and tie and become an executive in a media conglomerate; you lose touch with not only common sense, but what makes things GOOD.

Constant sequels are not GOOD. They are considered a SAFE BET, except when THEY AREN'T. Because eventually, people will get TIRED of 'another _____ movie' and look for something new.

Knockoff films ("Twilight made bank, so we need to make _______ and cash in!") are even lower. TV shows aren't immune to this either. Eventually, people tune out.

Reboots only show that YOU HAVE NO FAITH IN ORIGINAL IDEAS, AND WE SHOULD HAVE NO FAITH IN YOU. Take a successful property from 20-30 years ago, rebrand it and add maybe one or two new things to 'make it fresh' and call it a day. The only problem is this; we've seen this story before, and it isn't worth our time. They might make money, but eventually even Disney is going to figure out that we LIKE the 90's lineup of films, and DON'T WANT live action rehashes. Aladdin without Robin Williams and Beauty and The Beast without Angela Lansbury? SOD OFF. You have scriptwriters. Give them money, stand back, and see what happens.

At the end of the day, they are driven solely by PROFITS. If it doesn't make double what they spent on making and advertising it, then it's a flop in their eyes. Over the last decade, I've grown progressively more dissatisfied and annoyed with the producers of mass media.

Sure, there are the rare exceptions that show that occasionally these rules can be followed with some decent success: The Ducktales 2017 reboot actually IS good because it's a blend of the original show and the Carl Barks comics, has an overarcing season plot to go along with the episodic hijinks, and has the voice talents of some of comedy's finest tucked in its pocket. After 15 years, Brad Bird and his animation team are making The Incredibles 2, because he didn't want to do a sequel until he got a DECENT SCRIPT figured out...i.e. it's not a sequel for the sake of a sequel.

Most days, I adhere to one solid principle: Some of the BEST STUFF being made these days are either low-level in house projects that the Streaming Services pay for (Voltron Legendary Defender), or what the fandom does on their own. fan-made stuff can be just as prone to following the same faults and violations as projects made by larger studios, certainly, you'll get a mix of wheat and chaff wherever you go...

But not being bound by the rules of doing stuff only to make money means that you have a higher chance of getting stuff...like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY
4 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:59 am

What can I say...? I stopped going to the cinema of how expensive tickets were and not seing any film worth it. Last year I just went films once to see Ratchet and Clank, and I almost regret even that as it didn't fulfill all my expectations.

Anyway, couldn't be more agree with you too. Hollywood deserves that for being so selfish and don't think twice what they are making. Netflix has the fault? If they ever say that, then they will lose the remaining respect we have in them. Netflix, as far as I saw, are not only working on things that will give them money. They are working on things the public wants to spend THEIR money on. Because, we are not shouting "MOAR TRANSFORMERS!", we are shouting "GIVE USE THIS OTHER THING" (sorry, don't have examples, but everytime I hear "Netflix", is for good TboneLaughCait Go get SWAT Kats, Netflix!). They are listening to the public (ejem! Well, maybe not to us... RazorAnnoyedCait ), a touch I'm willing to say Hollywood has lost. Emoji Film was just the last drop that made the glass overflow. So, deal with it and learn from it!
2 x

Jacob1290
Raccoon with a pen

Postby Jacob1290 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:41 pm

I thought Spider-Man homecoming was really good.

Probably one of the rare cases of a reboot being better than what came before, but then again. It's not hard to top the Amazing Spider-Trash

But, I'm a Spider-Man Fanboy, I'll eat up anything good or bad.
2 x
If there's a will, There's a way. #LoveWins
I got myself a medal of honor just by sitting in the dark drawing
Website HERE >> http://swatkats.net/ <<
ImageImage

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Spider Man: Homecoming was good but that doesn't negate the fact that tons of awful films being made by studios on the cheap to get quick bucks are a problem.

Funnily enough it was about a decade ago that Disney was the studio that seemed hellbent on killing itself via endlessly spewing out direct-to-video sequelitis pap. Now it seems to be the only major studio left in town turning out consistently good films these days.
1 x

T-Bone
Resident
Flag: Russia

Postby T-Bone » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:13 am

Totally agree! In my opinion modern movies, cartoons are very bad (not all) but mostly modern movies are trash.

Last modern movie which i saw was Guardians of The galaxy 2. This movie is so awesome. My favorite character is Rocket Raccoon. RazorLoveCait
1 x
SK fan since 1998.

SwatKats forever!

Razor:Hey,don’t sweat it, I’ll teach you how to swim.
T-Bone:Fish swim,I fly.

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:52 am

Reboots only show that YOU HAVE NO FAITH IN ORIGINAL IDEAS

This right here.

Tons of people with original ideas at the grassroots level. They just don't have the exposure and budget the old, dying set do. And what I hate is if they get a hold of you they will try to control you into turning it into a completely alien thing and your vision is lost. I understand editing process an make things better to appeal to people but good Lord, man. I have a song to sing to the world, let me sing it.

That is why I am glad for internet. More creators are able to gain exposure and support independently. You have to trim off old dead branches so new growth can come in.

Overall, I just don't see anything interesting worth watching at the movies. The last thing I saw at the theatre was Jurassic World.

I mostly just watch stuff on Hulu/Netflix anyway.
3 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Website
My DA Account
Art Commission Info

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:33 am

EricoBard wrote:Sure, there are the rare exceptions that show that occasionally these rules can be followed with some decent success: The Ducktales 2017 reboot actually IS good because it's a blend of the original show and the Carl Barks comics, has an overarcing season plot to go along with the episodic hijinks, and has the voice talents of some of comedy's finest tucked in its pocket. After 15 years, Brad Bird and his animation team are making The Incredibles 2, because he didn't want to do a sequel until he got a DECENT SCRIPT figured out...i.e. it's not a sequel for the sake of a sequel.

Let's hope that SWAT Kats: Revolution gets the chance to become an awesome sequel someday.
4 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:13 pm

marklungo wrote:
EricoBard wrote:Sure, there are the rare exceptions that show that occasionally these rules can be followed with some decent success: The Ducktales 2017 reboot actually IS good because it's a blend of the original show and the Carl Barks comics, has an overarcing season plot to go along with the episodic hijinks, and has the voice talents of some of comedy's finest tucked in its pocket. After 15 years, Brad Bird and his animation team are making The Incredibles 2, because he didn't want to do a sequel until he got a DECENT SCRIPT figured out...i.e. it's not a sequel for the sake of a sequel.

Let's hope that SWAT Kats: Revolution gets the chance to become an awesome sequel someday.
I hope so too we're gonna have wait until The Tremblay Bros. give us some update by the end of 2017 ok
2 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Some interesting info from here: http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/08/14/re ... n-prevails

One interesting note:

Four years ago, at a USC symposium, famed and very successful directors George Lucas and Steven Spielberg warned the film industry that reliance on blockbusters– tent pole movies that failed would cause an implosion. At first no one took them seriously. But now maybe we’re seeing what they meant.

Spielberg said at the time: “That’s the big danger, and there’s eventually going to be an implosion — or a big meltdown. There’s going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even a half-dozen mega budget movies are going to go crashing into the ground, and that’s going to change the paradigm.”

It's quite ironic seeing the two directors whose films started the whole blockbuster craze are telling Hollywood that it's a bad idea to depend solely on blockbusters.

But is it surprising? Lately studios have been tending towards putting all of their eggs in a small number of very expensive baskets. It was only a matter of time before their luck ran out on that tactic.
3 x

Return to “General Discussion”