Your daily dose of drama

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Re: Your daily dose of drama

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:20 pm

EricoBard wrote:Truth be told, the biggest personality conflict I've had on creative websites happened right here, with Koosh; He got on my case a bit in his reviews of "Foundation" for using one dimensional nameless npcs to set up a situation, I bristled, we exchanged some light barbs.

Yeah, that was a poor move on my part. I do apologize for it once again. I can be pretty difficult to get along with sometimes. RazEmbarrassed
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 pm

I think it gives our creative relationship a lot of character. :) No worries, Koosh.
3 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 pm

All has been said already, so I won't repeat it.

I've been in a similar situation too. I was in a group of 5 friends and one day, two of the girls decided that they were enemies to death ...the three remaining decided to get in the middle. Wrong move FeralStopSign Now I'm in contact with just one of the group.

If they have something between them, better let them fix it by themselves. You will need to know both VERY well to try something and make it work, and even if you do, it will be very dangerous for your friendship.
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Hey, everyone. I'm reviving this thread after such a long time because there are a couple of things I've been meaning to add.

Jiesi wrote:I am so sorry that you where put in the spot like that. They should realize not to drag someone into a feud like that or make them feel like they have to pick sides. It's between them, your not the ref.

I should mention that B intended to do me a favor by warning me that A was such a two-faced backstabber. But there's an old saying: "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

MoDaD wrote:And, as for advice... I've lost count how many people I've inadvertently offended over the years.

I think that's just a part of being human that anyone can relate to. However, I wonder if being involved in fandom, any fandom, adds a couple of factors that can make dealing with people a little more interesting. Creative people (whether they're pros or fans) tend to be unique individuals with strong opinions, which can create or add to friction during interactions. Also, quite a few of us are socially awkward, sometimes because of autism and/or other conditions, so we may not realize when we're getting on somebody's nerves. To sum up, I'm not surprised that fandom is so full of drama; I'm just glad that there's not even more of it, and that the people on this forum get along so well.
2 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:34 am

marklungo wrote:I should mention that B intended to do me a favor by warning me that A was such a two-faced backstabber. But there's an old saying: "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Aaaactually, this is incorrect. Just like nobody ever said "Beam me up, Scottie" in Star Trek.

The actual phrase is attributed to Dr. Samuel Johnson, an 18th Century British author. His exact quote is "Hell is paved with good intentions."

Somewhere from when he first wrote it down, this quote was mangled to add the "The road to..." It's a small detail, but worth noting.

It isn't your fault, Mark. Just people changing things and forgetting their origins. Our collective consciousness is unique that way.

-Erico
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:46 pm

EricoBard wrote:
marklungo wrote:I should mention that B intended to do me a favor by warning me that A was such a two-faced backstabber. But there's an old saying: "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Aaaactually, this is incorrect. Just like nobody ever said "Beam me up, Scottie" in Star Trek.

The actual phrase is attributed to Dr. Samuel Johnson, an 18th Century British author. His exact quote is "Hell is paved with good intentions."

Somewhere from when he first wrote it down, this quote was mangled to add the "The road to..." It's a small detail, but worth noting.

It isn't your fault, Mark. Just people changing things and forgetting their origins. Our collective consciousness is unique that way.

-Erico

Thanks, Erico! I hope you won't mind if I correct your correction: according to the phrase's Wikipedia entry, it goes back much further than Johnson.

Anyway, here's a stray observation: the "incorrect" versions of famous sayings that enter public consciousness are often pithier and punchier than the originals, which arguably makes them improvements.
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Return to “General Discussion”