Aviation tidbits and did you knows

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
eag1e98
Just Moved In
Flag: United States of America

Aviation tidbits and did you knows

Postby eag1e98 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:50 am

Howdy everyone,

I've decided I will start posting some aviation knowledge and history (not limted to American aviation).

So here is a tidbit. The F-16 is equipped with a black out function where if the plane gets close enough to the ground, the auto pilot kicks in and levels out the plane or sends it into a climb.

Any questions on military or civil aviation feel free to ask turbokatfire
7 x
"Aviate Navigate Communicate" a phrase uttered by every flight instructor to tell the student to fly the darn plane

eag1e98
Just Moved In

Re: Aviation tidbits and did you knows

Postby eag1e98 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Alrighty. Here is one about the tomcat...The original acquisition cost of the F-14, quoted by the USN, was 38 million dollars. The Navy actually would love to bring the tomcat back and give it a 5th generation overhaul TurboKatBounce

I wonder what that would look like RazHappy
6 x
"Aviate Navigate Communicate" a phrase uttered by every flight instructor to tell the student to fly the darn plane

eag1e98
Just Moved In

Postby eag1e98 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:11 am

Alright here is a tidbit about a plane I have personally flown, the Super Decathlon made by American Champion. From what I have seen it is a common trainer plane for those looking to do aerobatics because it is fairly tame but fun at the same time. This one in the picture is owned by my former boss and airshow pilot Debby Rihn Harvey who was kind enough to give me a lesson for free (instead of somewhere close to $200). It has a load limit is 6gs and has a climb rate of 1130 fpm.
IMG_0110 (1).JPG

here is a video of said flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PFARDl031M&t=1s
8 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm

I have a question. I tried to look this up when I was working on my submission for the short story contest that happened a while back. I could not find the answer so I just had to be vague in the story.

When turning on a jet like the Turbokat, how do you turn it on? Do you have a key like a car? Do you flip a switch? Could you give steps on what you do to prepare to take off?
5 x

eag1e98
Just Moved In

Postby eag1e98 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Most jets now a days use a system called a jet fuel starter. While older Vietnam era jets used cartridges or Auxiliary power units. Basically in an F-16 or 15 the pilot would flip a switch toward the left side after switching the electrical systems on that sends jet fuel to the engine and mechanically turns it to it's start RPM. In a multi engine jet, the engines can both be started at the same time or one at a time. An enforcer jet would most likely use a cartridge start where jet fuel is sent through the engine and a cartridges lights it. Both would be triggered by toggle switches.
3 x

eag1e98
Just Moved In

Postby eag1e98 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:18 am

Ok, This one is an aviation pop culture tidbit,

In the movie Top Gun, since CGI was definitely not an option, Tony Scott actually went to NAS Miramar to arrange F-14s and F-5s (and their pilots) to fly in the movie. All of the flight scenes were performed by instructor pilots and aggressor pilots. The scenes out over the ocean were shot by Tony Scott putting on a harness and leaning out of his own personal Lear Jet. Also most of the time when you see Tom cruise, he is in a gimble but a few of the frames were taken during his 3 flights in the F-14 (all of which were done in 1 day) RazLaugh
4 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 pm

I have a question. We all know that SWAT Kats plays fast and loose with the laws of physics, but as far as flying goes, does it get anything right?
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:44 pm

I'm assuming the helicopters in the show use NOTAR, 'cause none of them have tail rotors. How prevalent is NOTAR in real life, and was it in use in 1993?
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

eag1e98
Just Moved In

Postby eag1e98 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:53 am

Kooshmeister wrote:I'm assuming the helicopters in the show use NOTAR, 'cause none of them have tail rotors. How prevalent is NOTAR in real life, and was it in use in 1993?

So I didn't know this but apparently NOTAR was developed by McDonnell Douglas and is still in use with some of their helicopters. Primarily the MD-520N and the MD-600N ChristmasChopper
1 x

eag1e98
Just Moved In

Postby eag1e98 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:24 pm

marklungo wrote:I have a question. We all know that SWAT Kats plays fast and loose with the laws of physics, but as far as flying goes, does it get anything right?

I say it gets everything right but mach speeds, In the rex shard episode I laughed when they did the sonic boom since Mach 5 is faster than the space shuttle, one hell of an airframe RazLaugh
2 x

Return to “General Discussion”