S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
User avatar
Casandro
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:38 am
x 1
x 26
Flag: Germany

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby Casandro » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:08 pm

I've just found my recording of the first time this episode aired in Europe. As far as I can recall, this was actually the first episode shown here at all. And yes, it has the scene with the cow in it. And in this original airing there was only English and Spanish sound.

Watching this, I think this probably makes quite a lot of sense as a first episode as it already explains some things, like where they got the TurboKat from.
2 x

User avatar
Tarnish
Just Moved In
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:19 am
x 16
Flag: Hungary

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby Tarnish » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 am

Felony wrote:This is one of the decisions the SWAT Kats made that I didn't agree with and was pretty dumb on their part and what helps give them the reputation of being reckless. Even Callie seemed ticked when she pulled off the helmet and realized Morbulus wasn't there. However it wasn't Feral's fault, it was the SWAT Kats'. It would have made more sense if say they chose to deliver him to the Enforcers and Morbulous got away under their supervision for Callie and the SKs to criticize Feral as it WOULD have been his fault.


I personally never had a problem with the 'dunk, mega belly flop' scene, I actually found it (and still I do) pretty hilarious. When you think about it, they did the hard part of the job that the Enforcers couldn't handle: disabling Morbulous' plane while still cathing him alive. When they dunked him, he was only in the water for literally a few seconds before an Enforcer chopper picked him up (Maybe the SWAT Kats dunked him because they already saw the Enforcer chopper approaching).

If the enforcers can't even capture an unarmed man from the water, what use are they to the city? The SWAT Kats might as well say 'Sorry we assumed you guys were good for something.'

I actually think Feral is the one that comes across as a bit dumb when he says 'Due to the interference of the SWAT Kats, this is all we have of Morbulus at the moment.', showing his flight suit. If it weren't for the SWAT Kats' 'interference', at the time of that interview Morbulus would probably be still in the air with his plane, another oil refinary would be blown up and there's a good chance even more Enforcer choppers would have been shot down by then.

Also, not related to this episode but related to the subject: What about when the creeplings steal Mac and Molly from Enforcer HQ in 'Katastrophe' and bust out Hard Drive in 'Night of the Dark Kat'? Both the Metallikats and Hard Drive were captured by the SWAT Kats and kept at Enforcers HQ, yet when they escaped, neither Feral or the SWAT Kats acknowledged that their reappearance can only mean that the Enforcers failed to keep them in custody. While the SWAT Kats could have said (rightfully so) 'Dude, you guys can't even keep bad guys behind bars, let alone capture them.', they said nothing.
0 x

User avatar
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
x 1285
x 1148
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:33 pm

It isn't the Enforcers' fault Morbulus Harry Houdini'd himself out of his clothes. If the Enforcers had taken longer to arrive, I'd agree they were at fault; as it stands, though, you yourself said they show up literally right after he lands in the water. This means it's impossible for them to have done anything more. However ridiculous it is that Morbulus managed to get out of his clothes as quickly as he did, it's still the SWAT Kats who gave him the opportunity to do it by dropping him in the water.

Blaming the Enforcers for his escape is like throwing a box at someone without a lid and blaming them for the stuff falling out of it in midair before they've caught it; yes, the stuff fell out, but the other guy successfully caught the box, so it's actually the thrower's fault for not putting a lid on (yeah, I know, it's a weird analogy, but, eh, it's all I could think of).

As for the Metallikats, it was just their deactivated heads, and they were kept in an evidence room because they were effectively inanimate objects (one wonders what they were being kept as evidence for), so there was no reasonable expectation that they'd ever pose a problem again. After all, Professor Hackle assured Feral the neural neutralizer would stop them "once and for all." And as for Hard Drive (and other villains who keep escaping), we don't know he was being held at Enforcer Headquarters. They have cells in the building, but those are presumably not for long-term incarceration, otherwise why have two regular prisons that we see? I say the cells are for holding people until trial/transfer to an actual prison.

If you want to blame someone for the repeated villain escapes, blame the prisons (which despite having Enforcer logos on their vehicles, don't appear to be run by the Enforcers).
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

User avatar
Tarnish
Just Moved In
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:19 am
x 16
Flag: Hungary

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby Tarnish » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:29 pm

No, it wasn't the Enforcers' fault Morbulus got out of his clothes...but it is their fault they didn't do anything to find him. Since they saw him fall in the water at most only a minute before they discovered he disappeard, they should have immediately started a search in the water and around the docks to find him, since he couldn't have gotten far in that short amount of time. Yet Feral gives no orders to do anything, he's too busy blaming the SWAT Kats on air. And even if you want to be mad at the SWAT Kats, they still improved the situation for Feral: an unarmed bad guy on the run imo is still a lot better than a bad guy with a plane loaded with missiles.

And regarding the Metallikats, it doesn't make any difference that it was just their deactivated heads. Is evidence not supposed to be kept safe? So it's perfectly fine to let people take stuff from the evidence room? It's their responsibility to make sure nobody messes with evidence, otherwise what's the point of it?

And with Hard Drive, they clearly showed a building with the Enforcers logo with Enforcer cruisers parked in front of it, so it most definitely was an Enforcer building where they kept Hard Drive, even if it wasn't their HQ. And since it's an Enforcers building, it's definitely their responsibility to stop suspects from escaping.

You guys are giving a free pass for Feral and the Enforcers on waaay too many things, lol.
0 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:07 pm
x 45
x 111
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby AkaneKitty » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Nobody's giving Feral a free pass. At least not me. If anything he's given the benefit of the doubt considering the show treats his character (and by extension the Enforcers) unfairly. And by unfairly I mean the show can't make up its mind on whether or not it wants Feral to be a villian or a non villainous antagonist, so it manipulates the universe to force Feral into the role it wants at the time. Plus it ensure Feral is not on an even playing field even more so for a similar cartoon.

Like Morbulous here. Callie gets mad at Feral for him getting away. Why isn't she equally mad at the SWAT Kats for being so reckless by dumping him the water? They could have easily dumped the guy into Feral's arms! So if she had to get mad, get mad at them both. And of course the SWAT Kats fail to take any responsibility about letting him get away, which is par for the course.

And rouge gallery breaking out is just showing the laziest way of making Feral look bad without commiting to his character. We don't get sleeping/lazy Enforcers to show incompetence, nor see Enforcers looking the way to show a criminal element. We just get scenes that give Ferals character no recourse to help define his own character.

So this is why I give Feral the benifit of the doubt. Not exuding him, but the show had plenty of opportunities to make a great villian or a non villianous antagonist and it was squandered.
1 x

User avatar
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
x 1285
x 1148
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Tarnish wrote:No, it wasn't the Enforcers' fault Morbulus got out of his clothes...but it is their fault they didn't do anything to find him.


You do see the helicopter that picked him up flying around in the air, apparently searching for him, but by then he'd already made it to the drain pipe (plus Feral said he'd probably drowned, which makes his later statement on the news contradicting this kinda weird).

Tarnish wrote:And even if you want to be mad at the SWAT Kats, they still improved the situation for Feral: an unarmed bad guy on the run imo is still a lot better than a bad guy with a plane loaded with missiles.


This is true, I admit. I think the main reason Feral was angry was because he's often left holding the bag; the SWAT Kats always fly away, leaving the responsibility of picking up the mess (usually theirs) to him. The fact Morbulus got away only added to his annoyance, I'll bet. FeralFrown

Now, you might mistake this observation for me disliking the SWAT Kats, which is untrue; I like that they're imperfect. It makes them more realistic. It's merely that the show stubbornly glosses over these imperfections and pretends they don't exist, or, worse, glorifies them.

Tarnish wrote:And regarding the Metallikats, it doesn't make any difference that it was just their deactivated heads. Is evidence not supposed to be kept safe?


The evidence room as depicted is consistent with virtually every other evidence room I've seen in fictional police stations, complete with keeping the items on shelves behind a fence. Theoretically, the evidence is already safe in that it's in Enforcer Headquarters, with guards at the entrances and exits; as with real life police stations, I'm assuming the Enforcers think that the evidence room is secure enough. And, to be fair, it was; it's just that the Creeplings 1) circumvented normal security by coming through the floor (as they did when they sprang Hard Drive), and 2) got lucky because Smitty had the radio turned up and didn't hear them.

Tarnish wrote:So it's perfectly fine to let people take stuff from the evidence room? It's their responsibility to make sure nobody messes with evidence, otherwise what's the point of it?


I never said that. You're acting like they knowingly let the Creeplings in and said "Help yourselves!" The Creeplings were stealthy and (as noted) the fact Smitty had the radio on helped.

Tarnish wrote:And with Hard Drive, they clearly showed a building with the Enforcers logo with Enforcer cruisers parked in front of it, so it most definitely was an Enforcer building where they kept Hard Drive, even if it wasn't their HQ. And since it's an Enforcers building, it's definitely their responsibility to stop suspects from escaping.


Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant him escaping after being captured at the end of the episode(s). My bad. Anyway, that, again, was due to the Creeplings coming in through the floor as opposed to coming in the regular way. The Enforcers' security would clearly keep out ordinary intruders, but the Creeplings are not ordinary intruders; they're small, difficult to detect (provided they keep quiet) and typically enter buildings in ways allowing them to bypass the otherwise excellent security, which is designed around normal threats.

See, for instance, Katastrophe, where they got into Megakat Biochemical Labs by coming in through the ceiling, completely avoiding the armed guards. Dr. Viper enters similarly, using an amorphous monster that oozes through the cracks under doors to go in ahead of him so his path is clear of the aforementioned guards. Those guards would've stopped ordinary intruders, but Dark Kat and Dr. Viper are not ordinary, nor are their helpers. The same, I believe, is true of the Enforcers.

Tarnish wrote:You guys are giving a free pass for Feral and the Enforcers on waaay too many things, lol.


And I think you give them of a hard time for things that are out of their control, and also overstate the SWAT Kats' effectiveness, considerable though it may be. They're good, but they're just two guys and they can't be everywhere at once. Getting rid of the Enforcers would be disastrous for the city. They're neither incompetent nor completely ineffective, and they're needed just as much as the SWAT Kats, whatever shortcomings they have. As opposed to dismissing them as incompetents, I'm content to think of them as good, but not good enough. If they were, this show wouldn't be called SWAT Kats, it'd be "The Adventures of Commander Feral and his Enforcers." FeralFrown

In other words, cut them some slack; they're already at enough of a disadvantage without you ragging on them. TboneLaughCait
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

User avatar
Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 2:31 pm
x 191
x 159
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby Rusakov » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:49 pm

What I remember most about this episode was my armchair biologist analysis of the bacteria monsters. ViperLaughCait
2 x

User avatar
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
x 1285
x 1148
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:00 am

Heh, ah, yeah, well, SWAT Kats isn't exactly known for being scientifically accurate. Real bacteria don't have arms, legs, heads, mouths or eyes (of any number). BacteriaDivide
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

User avatar
Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 2:31 pm
x 191
x 159
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby Rusakov » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:44 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:Heh, ah, yeah, well, SWAT Kats isn't exactly known for being scientifically accurate. Real bacteria don't have arms, legs, heads, mouths or eyes (of any number). BacteriaDivide


IIRC one of our hypothesis was that it wasn't a "bacteria" so much as it was Morbulus' biological matter hybridized with the bacteria. :P

Oh, and "bacteria don't have eyes" you say? http://www.d.umn.edu/~olse0176/Evolution/bacteria.html
2 x

User avatar
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 1126
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
x 1285
x 1148
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Well, the eyes are Morbulus', as opposed to the eyespots of real bacteria. It's important to remember the creature used to be a (more or less) ordinary kat, and the model sheet explicitly says he's turning into the bacteria monster, so it was never a true attempt by either Viper or Glenn Leopold to create an actual giant-sized germ. This explains why it's so un-bacteria-like.

Speaking of Morbulus' mutation, where did his tail go? I have this disturbing mental image of it falling off during his transformation. RazDumbfounded
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)


Return to “Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest