S1E01 - The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

S1E01 - The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice

Postby MoDaD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 pm

I always liked the level of detail that went into Museum of History. If you look at the backgrounds you can see some neat things in there.

http://swatkats.info/wp/wp-content/gallery/new-s01e01-pastmaster-always-rings-twice/001201.jpg

And, some corresponding model sheets:

0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Re: The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice

Postby Mikazo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Hah! I like the cave cat vs. modern cat comparison. Say, suppose any earlier kats had big saber teeth?
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:41 pm

This episode was actually the first one I ever saw, when I was watching Boomerang one night. It was a great introduction to the series, as well as the fanbase itself, because shortly after watching this episode, I looked online for fan forums and other websites. :P
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

Casandro
Fandom Veteran
Flag: Germany

Postby Casandro » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:55 pm

BTW you might want to use a different deinterlacer for screenshots.
0 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:29 pm

LowdogCraft wrote:This episode was actually the first one I ever saw

Were there any specific aspects to the episode which you thought made it a great introduction? For me, the quality of the animation really stood out, and is among the best in the first season, especially compared to The Giant Bacteria.
0 x
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 pm

What I loved was the background museum pieces, like the Pastmaster represented as an hourglass and the Ripper exhibit.

I'm going to touch on something I meant to port over to show discussion, and may anyway. This was a first example of making Feral (and by extension the Enforces as well in this case) look bad by taking about what Feral did instead of showing it. This also has the bonus of Feral being directly restricted in his actions, but the SWAT Kats given carte blanche to do whatever they want.

For the first point, after Abi and Callie are saved and the Enforcers are pulling up, T-Bone says "The Enforcers are here, late as usual".
This seems like an innocent comment and jab, but it started to bug me as I started dissecting it, First it brings up an supposed issue about Enforcer response times. Were they always consistently late? Or were they not always called?

In the real world police response times are a very big issue, so if the Enforcers are always slow about getting to the scene I can get the jab. But the problem is that this nothing was shown to back this up. In fact I'm surprised the Enforcers arrived at all because the Pastmaster incident was so self contained. It wasn't like fireworks were going off over the museum to call attention to itself. We didn't get a scene of Abi or Callie trying to call the Enforcers, so the putdown by T-Bone is unnecessary. The Enforcers can't respond to something they don't know about, so them showing up "late" actually shows there was a good Samaritan around the museum who called. I'd be more interested in the response time to call like that, because the SKs have an unfair advantage due to their direct link to Callie.

If we had got a scene of someone trying to alert the Enforcers and saw a bored or indifferent response, then sure I get the jab and the undercurrent of resentment that seemed to follow Feral around at times. But without a scene like this and a few others leads back to the issue of people telling how bad (or inept) Feral instead of showing it.
0 x

jesse220
Long-Term Resident

Postby jesse220 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:26 pm

Well I was imagining that the kat people would evolve from the sabre tooth tiger millions of years ago
0 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 pm

AkaneKitty wrote:This was a first example of making Feral (and by extension the Enforces as well in this case) look bad by taking about what Feral did instead of showing it. This also has the bonus of Feral being directly restricted in his actions, but the SWAT Kats given carte blanche to do whatever they want.

It's interesting that you mention that, because I've always viewed this episode as one that was probably the most generous in its depiction of the Enforcers. Early in the episode, it's the Enforcers who respond to the looting at the grave site and neutralize the Pastmaster's zombie-skeletons. While the SWAT Kats are stuck in the prehistoric past, it's up to the Enforcers to handle the Megasaurus Rex, which they actually do by gassing it and cordoning it off into the tar pits. Later, it's explicitly shown that Feral has gathered his strike force and is prepared to act, but is prevented from doing so by Mayor Manx over some fairly petty reasons considering what's at stake. To me, this episode solidified the narrative in my mind that it's Manx who's at fault for setting policy that both Feral and Callie have to follow (though Callie bypasses that with her link to the SWAT Kats).

Also, what do you think of the scene where Feral first arrives, and has this to say:
Feral> I’m surprised those meddling SWAT Kats aren’t here.

Enforcer> They got taken out early, sir.

Feral> Really? Well, we can handle this.

His inflection and expression always seemed like a strange mix of opportunistic and worrisome to me, almost as if he couldn't decide whether or not (subconsciously perhaps) that the SWAT Kats were needed, or that this was a chance to prove themselves as an organization. I don't think he was relishing the notion that they'd been killed, as some in the past have suggested.
1 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Re: S1E01 - The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice

Postby Poecat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:53 am

This was the first episode I saw as well. I remember my eyes being glued to the TV, watching these kats on the screen. LOL as I had already been drawing my own cat based comic characters. And seeing some onscreen was just mind blowing LOL.

The screen shots you got in this is are very nice. I love the details they put into the backgrounds.
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Re: S1E01 - The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice

Postby Felony » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:32 am

This was the first episode I saw as well when the series aired back in '93. I love history and time travel stuff so this plot helped get me into the series from the get go along with the fact they're all kitty people. I agree that the animation in this episode is better than most of this season. I particularly liked the scene where the Pastmaster is hanging onto the Enforcer chopper looking down at how the city has changed (poke at MoDaD for another great panorama XD).

I find it interesting that despite the Pastmaster coming across Callie, he doesn't seem to see her resemblance to Queen Callista until the second time he comes across her in the second season episode "The Deadly Pyramid". Guess it wasn't conceived for a plot point until then.

Also lol I didn't notice until now that this is a second instance of something in the background being spelled cat with a "c" and not a "k".

I really wish they had included the original intro with Jake/Razor at the beginning of this episode in the DVD release. Honestly I don't remember what he said as that was so long ago. Shame no one has a copy of that anywhere.
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Return to “Episode Discussion”