S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby MoDaD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:56 pm

A lot of times this episode is criticized for being one of the weaker and/or less favored ones (and to be fair, there's a lot about this episode that could have been better). Mark Lungo's grade of a "D" seems appropriate to me, but maybe there's some things about this episode that you enjoyed? I personally didn't mind the violent aspects of the episode (nor do I mind violence in and of itself), but it did present some awkward moments in terms of the narrative and some practical considerations. As has been mentioned by others, having Morbulus, who the writers have gone through the trouble of giving a decent introduction, character and gimmick, get killed-off in a series that could really use more recurring characters seems like a waste.

Also, the jovial conclusion of the episode and the lack of emotion toward all the innocent bystanders who get killed by the Giant Bacteria monsters is awkward. (Yeah, Burke and Murray get theirs in the end by having to clean up the mess, but have you ever considered just exactly what it is they're shoveling?)

I don't mind that it happened from a storytelling perspective, but there should have been a scene with the SWAT Kats showing some kind of reaction to their inability to save them. Or, is it that these events have become so commonplace in Megakat City that everyone is deadened to these kinds of tragic situations?
0 x
Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident

Re: S1E02 - The Giant Bacteria

Postby thelastmemory » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:43 pm

Violence in this episode didn't bother me that much. One thing that did bother me about it though was that I thought the animation wasn't as good as some of the later episodes in the series. Another thing that bothered me was how the SK's at the beginning of the episode were just sort of goofing off. They dunked Morbulus in the water and he was basically able to escape because of that. And then they were all mad at Feral for being legitimately angry at them for this. That part of the story was pretty weak.

On the plus side, this was also the first notable episode where we saw the whole JakexCalliexChance dynamic, which was kind of fun. But all in all, I don't really remember that much more of the episode to comment on it, so it must not have been that memorable to me.
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:09 am

MoDaD wrote:maybe there's some things about this episode that you enjoyed?

While this is one of my least fav episodes, I did like the characterization. We got to see a bit of the lives of the SWAT Kats when out of costume and working their real job. They have rivals/sucky bosses with Burke and Murray, are working class guys, know Callie personally sans masks, Chance wants to hook up with Callie etc. I wish they had continued using Burke and Murray in the second season... perhaps those two died or something in all the destruction of season 1. LOL We also saw a lot of the kats' universe. Little details like they drink canned milk instead of beer, there is local news media, there is a subway transport system there and so on.

MoDaD wrote:(Yeah, Burke and Murray get theirs in the end by having to clean up the mess, but have you ever considered just exactly what it is they're shoveling?)

Oh yeah. I didn't forget that the giant bacteria was once a kat and had absorbed multiple others. This came to mind as well in the episode "Chaos in Crystal" in regards to the warden. Greenbox I think it was knocked his crystalized self over which shattered so I can imagine what was found in his office after the crystallization was reversed...

MoDaD wrote:I don't mind that it happened from a storytelling perspective, but there should have been a scene with the SWAT Kats showing some kind of reaction to their inability to save them. Or, is it that these events have become so commonplace in Megakat City that everyone is deadened to these kinds of tragic situations?

I figure the citizens are used to this sort of tragedy. It's common place enough to where they are used to it much like the way we are with seeing so much on the news. I suppose they didn't have the SKs speak of it as it is a kid's show and they didn't want to get too heavy with the loss of lives.

thelastmemory wrote:Another thing that bothered me was how the SK's at the beginning of the episode were just sort of goofing off. They dunked Morbulus in the water and he was basically able to escape because of that. And then they were all mad at Feral for being legitimately angry at them for this. That part of the story was pretty weak.

This is one of the decisions the SWAT Kats made that I didn't agree with and was pretty dumb on their part and what helps give them the reputation of being reckless. Even Callie seemed ticked when she pulled off the helmet and realized Morbulous wasn't there. However it wasn't Feral's fault, it was the SWAT Kats'. It would have made more sense if say they chose to deliver him to the Enforcers and Morbulous got away under their supervision for Callie and the SKs to criticize Feral as it WOULD have been his fault.
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:30 pm

I'm concur with everyone stating this isn't a favorite episode of mine.

thelastmemory wrote:Another thing that bothered me was how the SK's at the beginning of the episode were just sort of goofing off. They dunked Morbulus in the water and he was basically able to escape because of that. And then they were all mad at Feral for being legitimately angry at them for this.

Seriously they couldn't wait a few seconds for the Enforcers to physically put Morbulus into custody? And the SKs getting mad at Feral for pointing out that goof is face palm worthy. If Feral's mistakes or ineptitude is always under a microscope to be scrutinized and laughed at, it should also flow back the same way.

This could have good a nice character development point. Maybe someone seeing the SKs goof off might have them think that maybe Feral is right about them. Or, at the very least, show Jake and Chance talking about it back at the garage , saying we screwed up and to be more careful next time. Instead this made them look like they had swelled heads.

This is one of the decisions the SWAT Kats made that I didn't agree with and was pretty dumb on their part and what helps give them the reputation of being reckless. Even Callie seemed ticked when she pulled off the helmet and realized Morbulous wasn't there. However it wasn't Feral's fault, it was the SWAT Kats'. It would have made more sense if say they chose to deliver him to the Enforcers and Morbulous got away under their supervision for Callie and the SKs to criticize Feral as it WOULD have been his fault.

This would have been a perfect time to show Feral's ineptness instead of the characters telling us. The Enforcers getting physical custody and then letting Morbulus get away could have at least shown that the SKs were right about Feral and why they're needed. But instead it shows the Feral might not be the bad guy in this after all.

Or at least this could have swung Callie back toward the neutral regarding the SKs and Feral if she had agreed with Feral that the SKs let Morbulus get away.

Callie, Callie, Callie...*sighes* Why must these discussions come up when I'm writing about you and Feral?
0 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:30 am

Another thing about this episode that always perturbed me a little was how it's the first of many instances where the Enforcers/Feral are shown to be ineffective in a situation that they should be able to handle, and are defeated by artificially inflated circumstances that reek of bad writing. The specific instance I'm referring to is how Dr. Zyme coordinates with Feral in developing an antibiotic warhead for an air-to-ground missile. It's actually a really good idea plot-wise (not so sure about the hard science involved), but it's hand-waved by Dr. Viper, who says his bacteria are immune to antibiotics. If that was an RP I'd accuse the player of powergaming :D

It set the precedence that if the SWAT Kats aren't the ones to do it, 9 times out of 10 the universe will increase the difficulty. Off the top of my head, very similar things happen in The Wrath of Dark Kat, Destructive Nature, and Night of the Dark Kat, where the universe seems to be conspiring against Feral when his actions (logically) should have been far more successful than they were.
0 x
Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:10 am

Powergaming? How about the Computer always cheats? Feral needed to have a Game Genie around. :)

Another example of this was in Destructive Nature. Feral decides to dump a huge amount of plant poison (I'm fuzzy on this, correct me if I'm wrong ) on the mutant plant. Technically it should work, but all it did was make things worse.

Yeah I hated that artificial escalation too. It's just poor mechanics almost to the point of lazy writing, to give the SKs the glory and make the Enforcers look bad by changing the rules on the fly. It's not it was established that Viper would make his creations immune to certain things. I hate dragging Batman into this but Gotham PD wasn't made to look like idiots just so Batman could swoop in the save the day.

I'm not sure what they were trying to do with Feral and the Enforcers. Did they want them to be like Keystone Cops? Or something else? Was it to justify making Feral the catalyst that made the SWAT Kats? If so, it's not being fair to Feral's character. It's incredibly frustrating because with a few tweaks Feral could be a power hungry blowhard that the show seemed to present him as or he could have been a great rival and non villainous antagonist for the SKs to play off of if they gave him an even playing field.
0 x

Furlong29
Just Moved In

Postby Furlong29 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:28 pm

I, as well, liked this episode because of the little snippets of information given about MegaKat City. If you look closely near the end of the episode, you'll see car models that are different than the ones seen driven by Callie or Feral. I also like that they name their subway stations (Katalina Station). It's also funny to see that at one point, it was called MegaCat City! (Look at the sign after the Swat Kats return to their base.) Megakat City is as much of a character as the main cast, and it was nice to see it fleshed out a little.
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 pm

thelastmemory wrote:One thing that did bother me about it though was that I thought the animation wasn't as good as some of the later episodes in the series.

You do have a point, however, this episode was released pretty early in the show's life, so it would make sense that it's not as well animated.
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident

Postby thelastmemory » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:25 pm

MoDaD wrote:It set the precedence that if the SWAT Kats aren't the ones to do it, 9 times out of 10 the universe will increase the difficulty. Off the top of my head, very similar things happen in The Wrath of Dark Kat, Destructive Nature, and Night of the Dark Kat, where the universe seems to be conspiring against Feral when his actions (logically) should have been far more successful than they were.

I know which part of Night of the Dark Kat you're probably talking about. The one where Feral plants a homing device in one of the money bags, only for Hard Drive to somehow "discover" it (in a matter of seconds it seems) later on.

Poor Feral. I feel like the creator's of the show tried to "demonize" him a little too much. He was one of the more complex characters of the show, or at least he had the potential to be.
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 pm

LOL one other crazy wild thing that had me saying "huh?!" even during its original airing was they flew the Turbokat INSIDE the lab! AND they didn't kill Callie in the process. That was a wee bit over the top. ^^;
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Return to “Episode Discussion”