S2E02 - A Bright and Shiny Future

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

S2E02 - A Bright and Shiny Future

Postby MoDaD » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:01 pm

And, just in case anyone was wondering, anyone can start the episode thread in this particular forum (not just moderators). So, if there's an episode you want to skip to feel free (though a mod may edit the title for formatting at a later date).

Anyway, A Bright and Shiny Future has historically been among everyone's list of favorite episodes of the show. There are a lot of good things about it. One aspect that I always liked was the swerve the writers threw at us with acknowledging that the Pastmaster can travel into the future, and the juxtaposition with magic and technology with an unlikely villainous team-up involving the Metallikats. I really felt like Glenn Leopold really embraced the show's canon in this one. I always liked how Molly confiscated the Pastmaster's watch and kept it like some kind of trophy.

And, the irony of the title (which isn't lost on T-Bone, either), is wonderfully contrasted with the animation. This is probably the "darkest" episode, both thematically and visually, and features one of the coolest action sequences in the series when the SWAT Kats ride the Cyclotron into the city and encounter its defenses. The music is also awesome in this part.
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Re: S2E02 - A Bright and Shiny Future

Postby Felony » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:42 pm

It was cool to see another baddie team up. Seems like the only way they have a chance to defeat the SWAT Kats is by teaming up, though in Katastrophe the alliance of evil failed whereas this triple threat succeeded. Not surprising there was a doublecross. Baddies just don't seem to work well together.

I particularly enjoyed seeing some of the characters older. LAWL poor Feral went nearly bald. XD Hackle dude... I wonder how old he is cause he seemed up there in years in the normal present timeline and he managed to survive awhile longer. I do wonder what happened to the other villains of Megakat. Did the Metallikats and Pasty destroy them too? Would have been interesting if one of them helped the good guys to fix things (which when they landed in the swamp, I expected Viper to emerge), only of course to cater to their own whims of taking over.
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:27 am

My favorite shot of this episode is the slow pan across the Pastmaster standing on top of the bridge with the Metallikats on the big screen behind him. Epic.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident

Postby thelastmemory » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:41 pm

T-bone really got to show off his flying prowess in this episode. Probably second best after Cry Turmoil in that regard.
0 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:My favorite shot of this episode is the slow pan across the Pastmaster standing on top of the bridge with the Metallikats on the big screen behind him. Epic.

That always stood out to me, too. The whole episode was a real visual treat.

I've got more of these animated gifs from the episode here unorganized.

2 x
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:02 am

Nice gifs! This episode was one of the better animated ones.

LOL these two crack me up for some reason:
misc/gifs/bright-and-shiny-future/molly-watch-b.gif
misc/gifs/bright-and-shiny-future/razor-001.gif

The first one looks like Razor is going "boo. boo. boo." or something XD Second one looks like he's spazzing on 'nip or something.
1 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:20 am

razorREO wrote:Another good scene was where Callie runs over and hugs T-Bone. The 'This is the best day of my life' look on his face was worth seeing more than twice xD

1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:26 pm

razorREO wrote:I also believe that this is the only episode that mentions Chance's last name...Just fyi... :|

And no episode gives Jake's. How did we know it before the model sheets and promo material became more available...? Because it was mentioned (I think) as far back as Mark Lungo's Animato! article on the show. Is that where most of us got it from? :shock:
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

marhawkman
Resident

Postby marhawkman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:22 pm

We need a gif of the jaw drop from the Metallikats when they realize the Ferals are flying and not the SWAT Kats. :D THAT was my favorite part of the episode.
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:48 pm

marhawkman wrote:We need a gif of the jaw drop from the Metallikats when they realize the Ferals are flying and not the SWAT Kats. :D THAT was my favorite part of the episode.

4 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”