S2E09 - The Dark Side of the SWAT Kats

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination
Flag: United States of America

S2E09 - The Dark Side of the SWAT Kats

Postby LowdogCraft » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:37 pm

This is the episode where the dimensional radar was first introduced. While a neat gadget, the main reason it's in this episode is for the main gimmick of the episode. Jim Katz wrote this, and I think he did a pretty okay job. This is one of the favorite episodes of mine, mainly for the dimensional radar itself, and the hilarious banter between the villains in the episode, the evil SWAT Kats. While not the best episode, it's still a favorite. I think that the writer of the review for the SWAT Kats Encyclopedia said it best:
It’s fun to watch the three evil twins verbally abuse each other, but this episode has little else to offer because Katz fails to take full advantage of the alternate universe concept. What if more of the good characters had been evil in the parallel world? What if some of the villains had been heroes? “Dark Side…” just isn’t as good as such similar tales as Star Trek’s “Mirror, Mirror” and Darkwing Duck ‘s “Life, The Negaverse and Everything.”
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Writer, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
also i'm bi
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."
Icon by @menacing-marshmallow on Tumblr

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Re: S2E09 - The Dark Side of the SWAT Kats

Postby MoDaD » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:45 am

While not necessarily a personal favorite of mine, it's a neat little "what-if" jaunt, even if it wasn't explored to its fullest potential. The part of this episode that always left me scratching my head was this scene:

Feral has the SWAT Kats in custody, but doesn't bother to unmask them. How to rationalize this without acknowledging the obvious lazy writing? Maybe in this alternate dimension (despite never referring to them by their real names) Feral already discovered who they were, so there was no need to unmask them?

But then, why are they referred to as "T-Bone" and "Razor" in their wanted poster?

Perhaps it's a keepsake from an earlier time prior to Feral discovering their identities?

But, if Feral knows their identities, how can they use the hangar under the salvage yard when Feral would be aware of where they work/live? Maybe the hangar's secrecy transcends dimensions, and the so-called "Dark" SWAT Kats' hideout is completely unrelated and unknown to whomever runs the salvage yard on the surface?

Lots of questions with admittedly shaky answers.

A number of fan fic writers (Kristen Sharpe and Sage come to mind) have put forth their own ideas, where essentially this alternate universe deviated when Chance and Jake got kicked out of the Enforcers like their "normal" counterparts, but chose to react by becoming all-out criminals instead of vigilantes. Allying with Dark Kat (who in the normal universe was involved in the incident) would make sense, too, I suppose.

And, another random thought, whenever the Dark SWAT Kats are mentioned I always think of F. Muller's artwork:

From the SKFAA.
1 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:37 pm

I think that F. Muller's art looks like what could have happened in this episode if it was expanded upon as well. His comic was very interesting and fun to read, mainly because it was of course expanded on my favorite episode.
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Writer, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
also i'm bi
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."
Icon by @menacing-marshmallow on Tumblr

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident

Postby thelastmemory » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:44 pm

This episode probably could have been expanded upon in maybe multiple episodes. It left a lot to be desired, but was an interesting start to the alternate dimension concept. I had a lot of questions after I first watched it, like why and how did Dark Callie and the SK's become evil and start working together? Same with Dark Kat? Were the other villains in the series still just as bad in this dimension? Or are some of them good? Like I had an idea about Elrod Purvis not becoming Dr. Viper in this dimension. What if he were good and chose not to steal Viper Mutagen out of greed. That was one idea I had. I don't know about the other villains though.
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:35 pm

I enjoyed this episode as we were shown what would happen if the SWAT Kats were bad guys. And also, since the SKs are so awesome, how would they do against DUN DUN DUN fighting themselves? XD Though thing is, these two don't seem quite as intelligent or skilled, which did kinda disappointed me in a way. Sure they were a challenge but in the end lost out, mostly due to their incompetence in choosing to follow and take out the good ones instead of carrying out DK's plan.

I wonder too why it was only the SKs and Callie who's doubles were evil. Was anyone else closely associated with the SKs "dark" too, like say Professor Hackle? Felina was good though, but then again she's her own kat not depending on them or as close to have contact with them.
0 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:26 pm

“Dark Side of the Swat Kats” is one of my favorite favorite favorite episodes. It opened up a brand new door to possibilities and really just set my imagination (and a lot of fans') on fire. Suddenly, there was a whole other Megakat City out there where only half of it was the same and the other half completely opposite. I just burned to know about the rest of the characters; which ones remained the same? Which ones turned a 180?

I definitely agree that this episode would have been better served it was two episodes instead of one. Delving into an alternate dimension is a lot to go into in just a 25 minute show. It was very rushed, but I think they did a fair job covering what needed to be covered in the amount of time they had. (And I'm sorry, Darkwing Duck's “Life, the Negaverse and Everything” is NOT better than “Dark Side”. Having everyone but the villains being evil is utterly ridiculous. A world cannot survive that way. We all love Negaduck, but the premise of his world is just moronic.)

The premise of “Dark Side” is exciting because no one can really beat the Swat Kats. So what if they face themselves? How can they beat two kats with the same skill set? It's an exciting idea. Though when we actually see the Dark Swat Kats, I agree with Felony, they come off a bit like bumbling lackeys. They aren't the biggest bad in Megakat City, they're Dark Kat's errand boys.

I'm actually very okay with this. The Dark Swat Kats are my favorite types of villains. Not necessarily super ambitious in the villain game, but they do what they want no matter who bosses them around and they are utterly entertaining as they do it. If Alternate Universe Megakat City had it's own tv show, (in my head canon, the Metallikats are the super heroes), then the Dark Swat Kats would be my favorite villains from that series.

And when the Dark Swat Kats do meet the originals, no matter how they act, they do very much appear to have the exact same physical prowess and skill as their counterparts. Likewise, I'm sure the same flying and sure shot talents as well. I would have very much loved to see another visit to this alternate dimension concept had the show continued on.

And addressing MoDad's comment about Feral unmasking the Swat Kats, here are some options:

It was too dangerous to get close enough to the Swat Kats to unmask them. Look at how many Enforcers Feral has with him just to talk to the Swat Kats while he has the safety of bars between them. Maybe he was biding his time until he figured out how to do it.

OR, Feral knows he doesn't have every citizen in Megakat City memorized. Just because he takes off their masks, doesn't mean he magically knows who they are. (And how was he to know they used to be on his Enforces?) He could have had them finger printed (paw printed?) and/or their DNA scanned and was waiting for that to run through the system and tell him who they were that way. Then, mask or not, he'd know who they were.

Though some fans have theorized these evil Swat Kats were exactly like the good ones up until they were kicked out of the Enforcers and turned evil as an act of revenge. But what if this Chance and Jake were never good? What if they were never in the Enforces? Maybe Feral DID unmask, had no idea who they were, and put their tails back in jail while he waited for print and DNA results. (And gave them back their masks and helmets for some reason. I don't know. I tried.)

Either way, LOVE this episode. I thought the story was interesting, the animation was good. I love me some evil Callie and I adore that scene in the beginning where Feral can't find the Swat Kats in the rain. It's one of my all-time favorites.
0 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:32 pm

LowdogCraft wrote:I think that the writer of the review for the SWAT Kats Encyclopedia said it best:
It’s fun to watch the three evil twins verbally abuse each other, but this episode has little else to offer because Katz fails to take full advantage of the alternate universe concept. What if more of the good characters had been evil in the parallel world? What if some of the villains had been heroes? “Dark Side…” just isn’t as good as such similar tales as Star Trek’s “Mirror, Mirror” and Darkwing Duck ‘s “Life, The Negaverse and Everything.”

You're welcome. :mrgreen:
0 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:I love me some evil Callie...

I actually came up with a scenario where evil Callie winds up in the "real" Megakat City, tries (and fails) to take good Callie's place, and eventually becomes the series' latest supervillain. Would have been cool!
0 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri May 01, 2015 8:35 am

MoDaD wrote:But then, why are they referred to as "T-Bone" and "Razor" in their wanted poster?

Many outlaws and criminals go by well-known nicknames on wanted posters, although that was usually an "Old West" style trope (i.e. Billy the Kid). Maybe it's a nod to how alternate-universe Megakat City has descended into utter lawlessness kind of like a techno-futuristic cyberpunk Old West sort of world with the SWAT Kats as Dark Kat's flunkies instead of his enemies?

I suppose people were more likely to encounter them masked and in their Evil!T-Bone and Evil!Razor personas. Maybe there's separate wanted posters for Evil!Chance and Evil!Jake?

Speaking of Megakat City being a crapsack world, if the government (or at least Evil!Callie) is corrupt and working for Dark Kat just like the SWAT Kats, why are the Enforcers still incorruptible pure pureness? Or still around at all? You'd think it'd be in Dark Kat's best interests to turn the Enforcers into a private army or have them abolished entirely, or at least replace Feral and Felina with someone more... open to being a crooked S.O.B., like, say, Steel. Seriously, Steel is the perfect crooked cop flunkey for Big Purple (in exchange for promises of power, or if for no other reason than to save his own life, or both).

I'm pretty sure that if Dark Kat said jump, Steel's head would hit the ceiling before Dark Kat had even finished talking

In other words how is it Dark Kat in this universe apparently has a lot of power and influence as well as eyes and ears in City Hall, implying he more or less runs the show, but still does things the way he would if he didn't, such as still needing to deal with the Enforcers and steal what he needs from Pumadyne? Or does he just like committing crimes even when he doesn't need to? But why would he do that? Isn't that just making things needlessly difficult for himself? I mean, a challenge now and then certainly keeps you on your toes, but considering that (as far as I remember) the bomb was intended to blow up Enforcer HQ, then Dark Kat isn't keeping the Enforcers around for the exercise; they're somehow still a problem for him and he wants them gone.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Wed May 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Speaking of Megakat City being a crapsack world, if the government (or at least Evil!Callie) is corrupt and working for Dark Kat just like the SWAT Kats, why are the Enforcers still incorruptible pure pureness?

As Callie is Deputy Mayor, her position (while influential and definitely an asset for Dark Kat) is still not as powerful as the mayor, so perhaps Mayor Manx (assuming he is the mayor of Megakat City in this alternate universe) is actually hyper-competent and runs a much tighter ship than his counterpart. Perhaps there was some kind of political coup planned by Dark Kat after the elimination of Enforcer Headquarters that would allow Callie to take the reigns of power. It would have been an interesting plot point if Mayor Manx and Commander Feral were both supposed to be in Enforcer Headquarters during the alternate universe's SWAT Kats attack.

Of course, if the alternate Mayor Manx is hyper-competent, one wonders how he'd fail to notice the illicit activities of the deputy mayor. Maybe Dark Kat is just that good at clandestine activities.
0 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”