S1E08 - Chaos in Crystal

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

S1E08 - Chaos in Crystal

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:12 pm

Chaos in Crystal was one of the episodes I remembered most from back when I saw the series as a kid. The central concept of a guy who changes things to crystal, Warden Meece shattering, the giant Shard, etc., all stayed with very vividly over the years. It's also the first episode that doesn't involve one of the recurring villains, giving us a new one-shot bad guy for the plot to revolve around, Mr. Rex Shard.

It's just a shame this wasn't one of the episodes Hanna-Barbera gave to Mook. What a visual feast it would've been if Mook had animated it! A guy made of living green crystal who turns other things to crystal, and all those gigantic crystalline structures and formations and so forth. Instead, it was given to Hanho Heung-Up who did their usual work that veers between being "okay" and "terrible," depending on the shot. And other episodes, like The Giant Bacteria with its bacteria monsters, Destructive Nature with the plantimals, Bride of the Pastmaster with all of those mythological creatures, and Enter the Madkat with all of the shapeshifting magic scenes... those all would've been far better choices to give to Mook than Night of the Dark Kat and Metal Urgency. I feel as if Hanna-Barbera made a huge mistake in which episodes they chose to give to Mook, as so many season one episodes could've been a visual treat for the eyes if animated by that company.

The four Mook did animate look good. But their stories and imagery are (except for The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice and the robots in Metal Urgency) relatively dull compared to the more fantastic sci-fi imagery of Chaos in Crystal and the other episodes described above, so it seems like a waste to me.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Janitor

Re: S1E08 - Chaos in Crystal

Postby MoDaD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 am

I suppose the writers were going for some kind of poetic justice or something.

Upon reflection, that's a pretty dark scene if you think about it.
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:38 am

I would've preferred it if Shard shattered him. I think it's dumb that not only does Greenbox knock him over, but it's a goofy accident.
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Heh oh yes. Wonder if Greenbox later realized (or cared) what he'd done in his haste to escape when the remains of Meece were found. They had to find a new warden for certain. ;D Maybe Callie was able to help make the decision on who to hire to replace Meece since she was seriously disliking his practices.

This episode also features an SK vehicle we don't see again later, the Sandkat. Heh T-Bone giving the keys to it to Callie if they didn't make it back from fighting Shard. Though she did leave it out there in the middle of the desert when she flagged the Kats Eye News Chopper and hitched a ride. XD
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Felony wrote:Heh oh yes. Wonder if Greenbox later realized (or cared) what he'd done in his haste to escape when the remains of Meece were found.

That is a good question. He didn't seem as corrupt as Meece (or corrupt at all, really), so he likely was upset by what he'd accidentally done.

And speaking of Meece's corruption, it's mostly only implied, with the rest being assumed by fans, I think. Callie says "With plenty left over for himself!" and Shard himself later says "Meece is the only one gettin' rich off this mine!" But besides this and him being vaguely unpleasant in a stereotypical evil redneck kinda way, he didn't seem that terrible. He's certainly no Samuel Norton or Cyrus Buelton. Heck, he isn't even a Buford T. Justice. Nor are his guards particularly mean or abusive, beyond a few barbs aimed at Shard from the two schmucks watching him. So it seems like the episode didn't really do much with the whole "corrupt prison warden" angle, despite Lance Falk intending Meece's fate to be "poetic justice."

His corruption was one of the things I expanded on in my (as yet unfinished) rewrite of the episode.
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:36 am

Does anyone notice the small abundance of puns in this episode? Not sure if they're intentional, but I like them. :3
But, ya gotta admit, they sound cool!

What's wrong, SWAT Kats? Can't cut it? *maniacal laugh 2,265*
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:50 am

I love when Shard says "No interviews!" as he shoots the news copter down. :lol:

LowdogCraft wrote:Does anyone notice the small abundance of puns in this episode? Not sure if they're intentional, but I like them. :3

Did you notice the (probably unintentional) kinda pun with the warden's name? His name is Meece and he shatters. Meeces to pieces. As in Mr. Jinks' famous line, "I hate meeces to pieces." :lol:

In fact, can somebody make a gif of him breaking that says "Meeces to pieces!" ?
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
In fact, can somebody make a gif of him breaking that says "Meeces to pieces!" ?

I'll see what I can do. :3
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 am

Can MoDaD or Betaruga do it? They seem to he whiz-kids at animated gifs, and Matt even already made one of Meece shattering anyway, it just requires text. :lol:
0 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Fri May 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:Can MoDaD or Betaruga do it? They seem to he whiz-kids at animated gifs, and Matt even already made one of Meece shattering anyway, it just requires text. :lol:

Ask, and you shall (eventually) receive :)
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Return to “Episode Discussion”