S1E05 - The Metallikats

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

S1E05 - The Metallikats

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Who else thinks Katscratch has one of the nastier deaths in the show? I mean, ouch!

Also, it occurs to me, why did they declare Mac and Molly dead following their prison break? There were no bodies to find.

"We heard youse drowned, tryin' to bust outta Alkatraz." Heard from who?

"Mac and Molly have been dead for months." Says who? What proof is there?

Their bodies washed ashore at Hackle's place and were found by his robots. And the rowboat sank. There's actually zero evidence they died. Was it just assumed that they drowned? Or... and this certainly would make Hackle very dark indeed... what if he put the bodies back where his robots found them once he was finished with them, and reported it to the Enforcers? Or simply dumped them into the water for someone else to find?

That doesn't quite work, because, for one, it makes Hackle a really sneaky creep, something we're never given any indication that he is, and for two, reporting them dead would mean a lot of awkward questions after he debuted their robot forms in public, which, I assume, he planned to do the next time he went to the scientific academy. Of course, this would only cause problems if he told people their names - but considering he went to the trouble of making masks of their old faces for them, I assume he did plan on presenting them under their original identities once he had determined them and reprogrammed them, as he planned to do in Metal Urgency - note that although he spoke of removing their criminal tendencies, he gave every indication of retaining their original names and identities. So reporting them as having been found dead on his property would cause him problems later, so he'd have to keep it a secret.

So what did he do with the bodies, and how did anyone find out beyond mere assumption that Mac and Molly were dead...?
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Janitor

Re: S1E05 - The Metallikats

Postby MoDaD » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:...why did they declare Mac and Molly dead following their prison break? There were no bodies to find.

This is probably a loose reference to the infamous 1962 incident where three inmates escaped from the island-based prison Alcatraz in the San Francisco Bay, where their bodies were never found and they were presumed dead/drowned/eaten by sharks (take your pick). Though, it took the FBI 17 years to reach that conclusion (and there's still uncertainty about that), so if we're comparing it to Mac and Molly's escape it does seem a little premature.

As for allusions to Hackle's creepiness in regards to what he'd do/did with the bodies, to me, I don't think him planting them to be discovered or putting them back in the bay is any less suspect than someone who'd be willing to to reprogram someone's personality against their will, essentially setting the groundwork for some kind authoritarian 1984/Brave New World scenario. But, that's just where my mind jumps to from a popular fiction standpoint (I don't have any evidence for this).

Hackle seems very precise in his thinking when it comes to his personal notions of right vs. wrong when the Mack* Robots he designed for Puma-Dyne are weaponized, but is conveniently aloof when it comes to what he did/planned to do with Mac and Molly.

Perhaps he suffers from some kind of senility, or perhaps his detached outlook has always been an aspect of his personality.

As for the bodies... my guess is that they're still in Hackle's lab, most likely in some kind of cryogenic storage.
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:51 pm

I always figured that it was just an assumption on the warden's part. Perhaps Alkatraz had a reputation for being impossible to escape. Most likely the warden quickly wrote Mac and Molly had drowned when reporting their escape in order to keep that record and thus keep his job. Could be even that it was learned the ship that hit them contacted the prison saying they came across a rowboat but were too late to stop, thus furthering the assumption that they died. They didn't show up for months and since Katscratch took over, the Enforcers along with them figured yep, they gotta be dead.

I also believe that Hackle began saving their minds before realizing who they were. It was an immediate procedure to save them and he didn't want to waste time. After he realized who they were (though judging by their prison uniforms he surely knew they were convicts) it had already been done. I think Hackle wanted to reform them, to give them a second chance on life. If they would have accepted that and gone along with him by being the first two successful "brain" transplants, there would have been a scandal given who they are. Hackle didn't talk with them for long, and it wasn't until after Mac and Molly were stopped where he considered making adjustments.

Their bodies most likely were buried, either on his property or elsewhere. Or he very well could have kept them in cryogenic storage as MoDaD suggests. It seems like the Enforcers were unaware of Hackle's involvement in reviving the Manges until their second appearance. Their parts were just sent to the salvage yard, and suppose Jake and Chance didn't bother letting the Enforcers know that "hey, this professor Hackle guy came by and picked up the remains of the Metallikats". Hackle himself doesn't come forward to the Enforcers until after Mac and Molly escaped and he learns where they went in Metal Urgency. I noticed this time, their robotic remains are sent off to Enforcer HQ in evidence as I figure Feral realizes Hackle can't fix their personalities and doesn't want to risk them getting loose again to harm the citizens.

I do wonder if Hackle faced any sort of consequences because of this. If he was incarcerated, he must have been released as in season two he is in his workshop home still working away inventing.
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Watch out people. I have my DVDs and I watched this whole ep as I wrote my review.

The origins of my favorite villains from this show. A really great origin story to boot. Now, I'm not familiar with the origins of every super villain in fiction, but the way these two came about seemed like a fairly original idea to me.

Usually, the character in question is either good, or slightly shady at best to begin with. Then, when they go through that traumatic physical alteration, something snaps in their psyche that tips them over the edge. But Mac and Molly were already no angels. This alteration did little else to them but increase their power. They remained as bad as they ever were. No post traumatic drama for what they went through. These two hit the ground running and never stopped.

I absolutely love the interaction between these two. I love the lines:

Mac: So I ran a couple of stop signs
Molly: Yeah, and here they all are

What a great introduction for this episode. We're not even sure what's going on yet and we've already got some entertaining snark to keep us watching. Mac and Molly look so neat in their clothes with their masks. I kept wishing they'd show up in a different episode dressed like that again.

This episode also has a pretty brutal scene where Catscratch is straight up murdered pretty much on camera. He wasn't a victim of his own doing or getting shot while in the middle of a fight. He was shot just standing there and the show leaves no question that he is dead.

Some other great scenes of this episode: Fango talking to Feral about what happened has great dialog. “Bullets don't stop the Metallikats. Nothing stops them.”

I believe this is our first look at Scardy Kat and clearly this isn't Chance's first time watching this episode. The entire couch scene is very entertaining. Chance doesn't give a crap if there's robots out there- let Feral handle it. But if Callie's in danger he is dressed and ready to go! (Though the animation had Chance eating a sandwich and then he was eating a fish. Someone wasn't paying attention.)

And why was Molly wearing black heels when she escaped from prison while we're on odd animation.

The relentless missile (one of my favorite missile names) and Plan Z.

The scene where Molly wakes up in Hackle's lab is eerie and one of those scenes I'll never forget when she looks around, her head doing a full rotation. You almost feel sorry for these two.

As for Hackle, this guy is clearly not wired right. What if the people he found on his beach weren't escaped fugitives? Did he still expect them to leave their lives behind to become his maid and chauffeur? Did he think that Mac and Molly would jump at the deal because it was better than prison? Or would he have expected any kat in that situation to forget everything else and become his domestic servant. Also, Mac's exclamations that he feels like he could rip the city apart with his bare claws doesn't seem to alarm the old man at all. In fact, instead, he shows them all the weapons he strangely keeps in his house, though he hates them. Hackle's a bit of a senile, absent minded professor in all of this. He may not be as mentally sound as he was in his youth. Or maybe he never was.

Callie also earned a lot of respect from me in this episode. We see she's not just an overworked politician and a Swat Kats cheerleader. She stands up for what's right, even in the face of danger she would not back down. Pretty much, she was willing to give her life for what she thought was right. And the “remember to land on your feet” bit was such a great line.

I also loved how irritated she looks when Razor tells her to stay put. She just got thrown out a window, and she's ready to go after them again. And Swat Kat Day, oh man. They probably knew Manx was just blowing hot air up their tails.

And Hackle again. It seems he comes to the salvage yard often which would make sense. It's a great place for parts for his inventions as well. It seems Chance and Jake knew him well before the Metallikat event. Why did Mac and Molly end up in the salvage yard if they were still functioning? And why did Jake and Chance if them over to Hackle? While it was cool the whole thing went full circle, this part doesn't really make sense when you think about it.

Also, T-Bone apparently loves tuna. Maybe his favorite food?
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:06 am

Ty-Chou wrote:He wasn't a victim of his own doing or getting shot while in the middle of a fight.

Well, to be fair, he did shoot first. However, because it doesn't harm them, he may as well not have for all the effect it had.

Ty-Chou wrote:Some other great scenes of this episode: Fango talking to Feral about what happened has great dialog. “Bullets don't stop the Metallikats. Nothing stops them.”

I just wish I knew how his crowbar got wrapped around his neck...

Ty-Chou wrote:As for Hackle, this guy is clearly not wired right.

Yeah, for all of his rep as a sweet old guy, he does more than a few ethically questionable things.

Ty-Chou wrote:Also, Mac's exclamations that he feels like he could rip the city apart with his bare claws doesn't seem to alarm the old man at all.

"Indeed you could, my boy..."

Ty-Chou wrote:Or maybe he never was.

If not for Metal Urgency and later episodes featuring him, it would've been interesting to think about an alternate character interpretation for Hackle; i.e. that he's actually evil and knowingly turning the Metallikats loose for whatever reason, and his nice old guy act is a facade. (If nothing else, this must certainly be what the Hackle in the alternate universe is like!).

Ty-Chou wrote:And Hackle again. It seems he comes to the salvage yard often which would make sense.

I always just assumed he went there because he's seen the news and figured that if the Metallikat parts weren't at Enforcer Headquarters, they'd be there. However, Chance and Jake seemed mildly chummy with him, suggesting he'd visited before to rummage for parts.

Ty-Chou wrote:Why did Mac and Molly end up in the salvage yard if they were still functioning?

All I can figure is nobody knew they were still functioning; they certainly weren't moving and talking even after they blew up, and when Manx tells Feral to take them to the salvage yard, they're just an immobile pile. I guess they figured, eh, they're broken and not a threat anymore, off to the junkyard with 'em!

Ty-Chou wrote:And why did Jake and Chance if them over to Hackle?

They wrongly assume he's responsible enough to not let them escape again?
0 x

NightSlayer2
Just Moved In
Flag: Canada

Postby NightSlayer2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Hey guys, I just saw that episode and I can't help but wonder if Mayor Manx is corrupt. Do you honestly that Manx would accept a bribe? After all, Callie did say that he was greedy in 'Destructive Nature'.
0 x

SVMON94
Resident
Flag: Finland

Postby SVMON94 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:41 pm

NightSlayer2 wrote:Hey guys, I just saw that episode and I can't help but wonder if Mayor Manx is corrupt. Do you honestly that Manx would accept a bribe? After all, Callie did say that he was greedy in 'Destructive Nature'.

I think you noticed how he's actually portrayed. a typical comedically exaggrated corrupt politician type character. In my opinion he's the most comic relief character in the show.
0 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:54 pm

It's possible he would've accepted the bribe. But we can't know for certain how much integrity Manx does or doesn't have. ManxSmile
0 x

NightSlayer2
Just Moved In
Flag: Canada

Postby NightSlayer2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Hey Kooshmeister,
I don't think that Manx is corrupt. In the episode "A Bright And Shiny Future", Manx was willing to stay behind to join the resistance even though he is portrayed as a coward in the series. I think that Manx is a good guy. He most likely would've granted Mac and Molly parole since the rap song made about the SWAT Kats say he's too soft.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:25 am

NightSlayer2 wrote:Hey Kooshmeister,
I don't think that Manx is corrupt. In the episode "A Bright And Shiny Future", Manx was willing to stay behind to join the resistance even though he is portrayed as a coward in the series.

Of course he did. It was the only way to remain alive and free. ManxSmile

NightSlayer2 wrote:Hey Kooshmeister,
He most likely would've granted Mac and Molly parole since the rap song made about the SWAT Kats say he's too soft.

So he would've accepted the bribe, then? Accepting money from convicted criminals in return for being pardoned is being corrupt. :lol:

Or do you mean he would've paroled them without the bribe? I doubt that, otherwise they wouldn't have needed to bribe him in the first place. ManxSmile
0 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”