S1E07 - Night of the Dark Kat

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E07 - Night of the Dark Kat

Postby MoDaD » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:52 pm

This is one of the few episodes where we get a glimpse at some of the everyday goings-ons of Megakat City. The scene where the child and his father witness the "SWAT Kats" attack the city has always stood out to me, and I always wondered how that incident may have swayed public opinion. Even if the general populace was told about Hard Drive and Dark Kat's involvement, I'd assume there'd be many who were disturbed by the amount of power wielded by T-Bone and Razor, and also equally concerned by the fact that the Tubokat could be stolen (though I wonder how aggressively Feral would point that out seeing as how Enforcer technology and city resources have frequently been stolen and used by criminals).
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

zaba11
Resident

Postby zaba11 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:53 am

I have problem with Hard Drive, why he is a villan?
I know cartoon logic, but why he steal the secret's from Enforces?
(One of them look's like a laser rifle, but is diffrent that used by Enforces in leater episodes.)
He have a coat, what give power to transform in to electricti, and travel throug computers.
Why he don't sell that, for any corporation's or Enforces, they will spend millions for that.
And leater drinks milk on Anakota, served by she-kat's.
But that will be game changer, easy to imagine how gona Enforces use that.
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:25 pm

This was one of the better animated episodes in season 1 (and as a DK fan, I am glad of that fact!). We get to see more of the boys in their hum drum civilian lives, working hard and dull jobs like many of us do. LOL I wonder how many calls Feral has received from that little old lady's Auto Club on their bad service? XD A fun running joke is that little old lady.

I enjoyed seeing Dark Kat's manipulative side. He forces Hard Drive to work for him through fear, which must be so great that HD didn't try and fry him when he got his Surge Coat and take off. He hurts the SWAT Kats by ruining their reputations, which I'm sure some citizens never recovered from and as MoDaD pointed out many most likely were disturbed by the power wielded just by the SK's jet alone. (This is part of why a fan character of mine Enforcer Josalyn "Josie" Lyons distrusts the SKs so much and wants them out of the skies and their base located to be shut down.) We also witness more of his brute strength as he frees HD with just a claw and backhands Razor like he was nothing.

One flaw though which I was surprised Dark Kat would make was leaving the SKs to their doom. I believe if he would have stayed there to supervise, they wouldn't have gotten away. But we can't have the bad guy winning. ;) It was a bit funny in the end seeing the SKs saved by Callie tossing that bag of money. You'd think they'd take her more seriously than just a damsel in distress but again, that was her role in the series so whatcha gonna do? She obviously works out to heft and throw that, even with adrenaline pumping, and in a later episode we even see her out for a morning jog so the girl keeps in shape. She might not be SWAT Kat material but she's good back up.

One of my favorite images of Dark Kat comes from this episode:
He definitely looks wicked and menacing!

My favorite scenes were when Feral was ready to unmask the SWAT Kats and Callie goes up to get them to take her hostage. Hopefully in interviews with Ann Gora following the events, she set the record straight that it was her idea! Speaking of Ann, LOL I liked where DK was watching HD destroying the city. Ann said "The SWAT Kats are trashing Megakat City!" and Dark Kat said to himself "No, I am!" Bwhahahaha! He really thought he was winning.

zaba11 wrote:I have problem with Hard Drive, why he is a villan?
I know cartoon logic, but why he steal the secret's from Enforces?
(One of them look's like a laser rifle, but is diffrent that used by Enforces in leater episodes.)
He have a coat, what give power to transform in to electricti, and travel throug computers.
Why he don't sell that, for any corporation's or Enforces, they will spend millions for that.
And leater drinks milk on Anakota, served by she-kat's.
But that will be game changer, easy to imagine how gona Enforces use that.

It's more than cartoon logic. I feel Hard Drive wants to make a name for himself. He seems to have an ego, something we see in the beginning of this episode where he gets his Surge Coat on as he talks to himself. He could most likely profit more by selling the Enforcer military weapons secrets on the black market than he'd get by selling the Surge Coat idea. Plus, why would he want the military to have something like that? He is all powerful when in that Surge Coat, able to do a lot of damage as well as profit from it. He gets to be on par with the other big name villains of Megakat City (which is why he deserved more solo airtime) and I think he likes that a lot better as well as the thrill of it. If he didn't get arrested all the time, I could see one of the things he might do for awhile as he rests and plots is getting milk drinks on a nice tropical island served by she-kats. ;9
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:12 pm

razorREO wrote:
Felony wrote:he becomes fed up with the two for being irresponsible

That's an interesting idea, though I wonder if it would only serve to reinforce Feral's opinion of Chance and Jake, and ironically act to reduce his curiosity, and further make Feral feel that interacting with them isn't worth his time. That's not to say the "checking in" task couldn't be delegated to someone else, though, as I recall Kooshmeister alluded to this in one of his works of fiction.
0 x
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:45 am

It was more or less stated outright in the show that Burke and Murray were supposed to be Chance and Jake's babysitters. They don't do a very good job, though; they seem content to do as little work as possible, only occasionally showing up for the dual purpose of making deliveries and (incompetently) mocking them.

Chance and Jake's long absences from the garage does make me wonder how their auto repair business stays afloat, though; what if someone comes by when they're off doing SWAT Kat stuff? They've gone and lost a customer to whatever the cat world's equivalent of Jiffy Lube is right there!
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:42 am

Kooshmeister wrote:Chance and Jake's long absences from the garage does make me wonder how their auto repair business stays afloat, though; what if someone comes by when they're off doing SWAT Kat stuff?

Maybe all of the in-jokes throughout the series regarding occurrences of "once a week" have an actual literal canonical presence? I wonder how often the SWAT Kats are actually doing something as the SWAT Kats. I know there's mentions of them being on patrol (I believe that was in The Metallikats), but most of the time they seem to be reacting to intermittent crisis on an as-needed basis as opposed to being ever-present, though they do seem to spend a lot of time training (which I suppose it's possible these occurrences are during the weekend or their off-hours).
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm sure the big crises we see aren't as frequent as it seems. A couple weeks or more probably pass by and they do their patrolling at night so probably don't get too many calls. And when they do, I imagine they head straight away after parking the jet and all.
0 x
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

T-Bone
Resident
Flag: Russia

Postby T-Bone » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:50 pm

This is my favorite episode in the first season,I don't know why hard drive can't sale enforcers secrets to the other villains or corporation?
0 x
SK fan since 1998.

SwatKats forever!

Razor:Hey,don’t sweat it, I’ll teach you how to swim.
T-Bone:Fish swim,I fly.

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:26 pm

T-Bone wrote:This is my favorite episode in the first season,I don't know why hard drive can't sale enforcers secrets to the other villains or corporation?

Because he's now in prison. ;)
0 x
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 am

T-Bone wrote:This is my favorite episode in the first season,I don't know why hard drive can't sale enforcers secrets to the other villains or corporation?

He says, after taking all the files off of their computer, that whoever wants them will have to pay him "big time." So stealing them to sell them off was his original plan.

As to why he never went through with it, first because the SWAT Kats captured him, and then because he was "persuaded" to come work for Dark Kat, who (despite claiming otherwise) had his own uses for the defense secrets. And then the surge suit was destroyed, presumably taking most of the data with it unless Hard Drive uploaded it somewhere else between scenes.

If the data was lost when the surge suit was destroyed, that must've set the Enforcers back who knows how many years' worth of research! Remember, kids, always have backup files!
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Return to “Episode Discussion”