S1E07 - Night of the Dark Kat

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Betaruga
Killa Vanilla
Flag: United States of America

SWAT Kats Gifs from episode "Night Of The Dark Kat"

Postby Betaruga » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Shared these on Swatkats.us, and figured I'd share them here too while I'm at it :) I also provide nerdy animation commentary along with gifs, which (should be) Tumblr friendly, if you'd like to use or spread these goodies around I encourage that! :) Stay tuned for more gifs to come, have lots more episodes to cover, and I'm open for requests!

EPISODE: NIGHT OF THE DARK KAT (Legit some of the best animation in SK Season 1 and in the series)

This gif looks cool but makes no sense when you really look at it.
Dark Kat's fingernail was rounded and then... suddenly pointed, woot!
Pretty sure that's not how that works ;)

This conversation between Chance and Jake highlights
the predominant characteristics that animation masters worldwide
consider to be excellent samples of animation, signified by all the small,
fluid and "unnecessary" details and constant, subtle movements.

Jake's fluctuating microexpressions of guilt here weren't necessary,
it's already captured by his sheepish hand gestures and general expression,
but they add another layer of depth to his personality in this scene
as he white lies under criticism.

The anticipatory energy in this shot is smoothly executed with tense,
jaunty movements that are countered-shifted and supported by
smaller movements like the waving fabric of T-Bone's lapels and mask.

Feral and his Enforcers may be taunted for their relative incompetence
to the SWAT Kats, but the swift decisiveness in Feral's movements
still belies a character to be taken seriously.

#you know he dead

Anime Callie, activate! Honestly, it's Callie's take charge attitude,
competence and doing whatever she can that relieves her from being
your ordinary damsel in distress ;)

"I'd still like to see you two without your masks! So that I can then arrest you. For reals."
1 x
"So you SWAT Kats were telling the truth!"
"Duh, Commander!"

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Re: SWAT Kats Gifs from episode "Night Of The Dark Kat"

Postby Felony » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Oooh sweet gifs! Thanks for making and sharing these!

Bwhaha totally using the one of Dark Kat with his claw. I think maybe it was a sort of extending his claw like cats do? I dunno. He's an evil fiend and it just looked cool. That claw must be strong and sharp cause he used it to cut through wires. LOL Also like the one of Ann and Callie... heh and HD gettin' blown up there. -g-
0 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Re: SWAT Kats Gifs from episode "Night Of The Dark Kat"

Postby Betaruga » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:57 pm

Felony wrote:Oooh sweet gifs! Thanks for making and sharing these!

Bwhaha totally using the one of Dark Kat with his claw. I think maybe it was a sort of extending his claw like cats do? I dunno. He's an evil fiend and it just looked cool. That claw must be strong and sharp cause he used it to cut through wires. LOL Also like the one of Ann and Callie... heh and HD gettin' blown up there. -g-

You're right dude, it DOES look cool. In fact, Dark Kat probably never looked cooler than in that moment :3 Anyway, glad you like them!! I'm having a blast, already have two more episodes done, will post soon ;)

Also who doesn't love Hard Drive exploding <3
0 x
"Duh, Commander!"

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Re: S1E07 - Night of the Dark Kat

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:54 am

If I may go against the grain here, I always thought the character animation here and in The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice was... too rubbery. They're so bouncy, moving all over the place like they're made of elastic putty. It gets a little distracting. Of Mook's season one work, I prefer Metal Urgency and Katastrophe (although looking back at it now, even Katastrophe has the characters bouncing and stretching everywhere in some shots, but Mook thankfully toned it down since its earlier efforts).

That, and I never quite thought that this episode really quite warranted such high-grade animation since it's a fairly mundane story without much in the way of fantastic visuals besides (maybe) Hard Drive's electrical stunts. Did a story where some bad guys use the Turbokat to frame them really merit this amazing level of detail and smoothness...? Compared to, say, bacteria monsters, crystal guys, cyclopes, dragons and shapeshifting jesters?

It looks great, mind you, and all the episodes should've, but, it just seems weird Hanna-Barbera allocated its Mook budget to something like this and not, say, Enter the Madkat.
Last edited by Kooshmeister on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:07 am

Kooshmeister wrote:If I may go against the grain here, I always thought the character animation here and in The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice was... too rubbery. They're so bouncy, moving all over the place like they're made of elastic putty. It gets a little distracting. Of Mook's season one work, I prefer Metal Urgency and Katastrophe (although looking back at it now, even Katastrophe has the characters bouncing and stretching everywhere in some shots, but Mook thankfully toned it down since its earlier efforts).

You're breaking my heart, baby.

I'm gonna defend this kick butt animation for being bouncy tho, cuz I'd rather be distracted by how good something is than how lameduck it looks ;) (aw yeh) The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice had some bizarre (but also some brilliant) moments of animation as well, and was very inconsistent within the episode.

Kooshmeister wrote:That, and I never quite thought that this episode really quite warranted such high-grade animation since it's a fairly mundane story without much in the way of fantastic visuals besides (maybe) Hard Drive's electrical stunts. Did a story where some bad guys use the Turbokat to frame them really merit this amazing level of detail and smoothness...? Compared to, say, bacteria monsters, crystal guys, cyclopes, dragons and shapeshifting jesters?

It looks great, mind you, and all the episodes should've, but, it just seems weird Hanna-Barbera allocated its Mook budget to something like this and not, say, Enter the Madkat.

That's a legit grievance to be honest. I'd prefer that all of them had sweet animation. As for why, well, it could seriously have just been random production nonsense. Or, if there's any sense to it, I'd wager for The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice, it's because it was the series premiere, so... first impressions and whatnot? Katastrophe because it has all the major villains working together in the season finale... Metal Urgency? I couldn't tell you. But the animation notch would reaaaally have helped the other season 1 episodes, which, to be honest, I don't really like looking at so much as listening to them. ESPECIALLY the Ghost Pilot episode, where T-Bone's all "check out those moves!" and I'm just sitting there like :-| Oh ja?

By the way, I've been pondering SWAT Kat's animation styles and whatnot for the past 20 years, and you just provided the studio name I've been wanting to know of/more about for decades now so when I read your message I legit had heart palpitations and had to make myself relax cuz my chest hurt I was so stoked, bro you don't even know
0 x
"Duh, Commander!"

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Betaruga wrote:Or, if there's any sense to it, I'd wager for The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice, it's because it was the series premiere, so... first impressions and whatnot?

That'd make sense except it was the third one made. The Giant Bacteria was the first episode in terms of production code, and, in-house, scripts explicitly refer to it as "Show 1." Also, it does a better job of introducing the main characters and the show's core concepts (to paraphrase Mark Lungo).

Ideas for why it got booted to second:

1. Hanna-Barbera were disheartened by what Giant Bacteria's animation looked like after they got it back from Korea (ditto The Metallikats, animated second and aired fifth), and ran the far superior-looking Pastmaster Always Rings Twice instead simply because of how good it looked. This seems the likeliest one to me.
2. It was held back due to the issue of needing to rerecord some of the dialogue to change Occulus' name to the now familiar Morbulus. This seems a little less likely, as it can't be that difficult to get Barry Gordon, Gary Owens, Frank Welker, Tress MacNeille and Jim Cummings--actually yeah this does sound slightly more complicated than I first thought. But still a little less of a holdup than "Oh, God, this animation is too mediocre to be the first episode!"
3. This one comes from Mark Lungo; that Pastmaster's use of dinosaurs made it "timely in the wake of Jurassic Park." Although this could just be why it was chose to replace The Giant Bacteria as episode one, not necessarily that it was intended as the first one from the start.

If The Giant Bacteria was intended to be the first episode before some or all of the above contributed to it getting pushed back, this means Hanna-Barbera basically cheaped out on what was to be the closest thing the series would've had to an actual pilot (outside of The Wrath of Dark Kat, which was the fifth made episode).

Betaruga wrote:ESPECIALLY the Ghost Pilot episode, where T-Bone's all "check out those moves!" and I'm just sitting there like :-| Oh ja?

Now that you mention it... yeah, a lot of the aerial sequences in the Hahno episodes look like crap, unfortunately.
0 x

SwatKatsFan1
Resident

Postby SwatKatsFan1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:14 pm

The SWAT Kats should be more careful in case their tech gets stolen. Razor could incorporate iris scanners into the TurboKat that would analyze their pupil patterns so the jet would know when to take off and I bet that would work since artificial intelligence is probably advanced like with Zed in the series. However, I have a feeling that Dark Kat and Hard Drive would've probably killed off the SWAT Kats if they couldn't get the TurboKat in the air. Felony, I read your work on Josie Lyons and she's an interesting character. Doesn't she become governor and tries to get the SWAT Kats arrested or something due to her not trusting them?
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:31 pm

I think something more feasible would be if the steering stick and the weapons joystick had handprint ID, like the bad guys' guns in Shoot 'Em Up. Thus, instant recognition of their identity by the onboard AI. The only downside is, they couldn't wear those gloves. And as to how handprint ID systems would work with characters who have fur, uh, well, um... it's a cartoon so let's just role with it. :lol:
0 x

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Kooshmeister wrote: And as to how handprint ID systems would work with characters who have fur, uh, well, um... it's a cartoon so let's just role with it. :lol:

They'd still have paw prints, methinks.

By the way, the gif animation analysis is just DELICIOUS and seeing them loop just made them hilarious (thnx Beta). It makes it fun to re-watch with a critical eye and look out for all these things.
1 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Website
My DA Account
Art Commission Info

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:20 am

Okay, good, so, my idea wasn't as weird as I initially thought. :lol:
0 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”