S1E07 - Night of the Dark Kat

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E07 - Night of the Dark Kat

Postby MoDaD » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:28 pm

While working on something else, noticed another pan:

Could probably make it a little wider if the effort of removing part of the opening credits was warranted.
1 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Ocelot
Resident
Flag: Philippines

Postby Ocelot » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:27 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Chance and Jake's long absences from the garage does make me wonder how their auto repair business stays afloat, though; what if someone comes by when they're off doing SWAT Kat stuff? They've gone and lost a customer to whatever the cat world's equivalent of Jiffy Lube is right there!

I don't think the salvage yard is a business. I think its basically a dump site for Enforcer, Military, Government equipment. Jake and Chance are just suppose to be managing the place. They are doing lifelong community service. They must get paid for their time but judging from Burke and Murrays comments about their salary they must be getting paid only minimum wage. It isn't an auto repair place either. The only repairs Jake and Chance seem to do is for Callie and the old lady. So I'm guessing they only do repair work for Government employees because its completely free.

Which has me thinking that the old lady must either be a retired former Government worker, Enforcer, Military, or the mother of a Government official.
0 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 am

Ocelot wrote:
Kooshmeister wrote:
Chance and Jake's long absences from the garage does make me wonder how their auto repair business stays afloat, though; what if someone comes by when they're off doing SWAT Kat stuff? They've gone and lost a customer to whatever the cat world's equivalent of Jiffy Lube is right there!

I don't think the salvage yard is a business. I think its basically a dump site for Enforcer, Military, Government equipment. Jake and Chance are just suppose to be managing the place. They are doing lifelong community service. They must get paid for their time but judging from Burke and Murrays comments about their salary they must be getting paid only minimum wage. It isn't an auto repair place either. The only repairs Jake and Chance seem to do is for Callie and the old lady. So I'm guessing they only do repair work for Government employees because its completely free.

Which has me thinking that the old lady must either be a retired former Government worker, Enforcer, Military, or the mother of a Government official.

Well, as Burke and Murray seemed to say in The Wrath Of Dark Kat, the salary for working in the salvage yard is minimum and it all goes to pay their bill. With all that metal and mechanic junk in there and the vast knowledge of Jake about machinery, probably they ended opening the garage to boost the earnings and save some money for them. Being their own bosses with the garage business, they don't need to follow the garage schedule to the letter (they set it after all). Aside for that, Jake and Chance are doing two works at the same time, so if they left unattended the salvage yard, people could think they are just picking up a damaged car for the garage business or viceversa. As for the customers... I'm sure there are more, but as other details in the story, it's not seen.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:41 am

Ocelot wrote:So I'm guessing they only do repair work for Government employees because its completely free.

Then there'd be no need to advertise with a big sign identifying it as their garage.

Ocelot wrote:Which has me thinking that the old lady must either be a retired former Government worker, Enforcer, Military, or the mother of a Government official.

Except she never mentions any of that. It's pure speculation. She doesn't say "I'm gonna complain to my son! He's in the Enforcers!" She says she's going to complain to the Megakat Auto Club. No mention of the Enforcers, City Hall or anything involving local or federal government. If she had such connections, someone as cantankerous as her would've used them in her threats. Instead, it's some local auto club she's a member of that she threatens to contact. Which is probably how she learned about them and got their number, since they may pay to advertise through the club's magazines and monthly fliers and such.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:00 am

Kooshmeister wrote:Instead, it's some local auto club she's a member of that she threatens to contact. Which is probably how she learned about them and got their number, since they may pay to advertise through the club's magazines and monthly fliers and such.

That whole scene is so awful. It'd be one thing to never show up, but from her perspective, Chance and Jake arrive only to abruptly leave without explanation, abandoning her in some back alley for an entire day.

It looks like it's morning when they first arrive and the middle of the night when they return at the end of the episode.

But, I guess pizza makes that okay :lol:
2 x
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:I think something more feasible would be if the steering stick and the weapons joystick had handprint ID, like the bad guys' guns in Shoot 'Em Up. Thus, instant recognition of their identity by the onboard AI.

While that would be a neat idea to see visually, given the context of the circumstances in this particular episode, it probably wouldn't have helped (and may have actually made things worse) as Hard Drive was shown to be able to easily bypass and modify computer security systems as easily someone passes through an unlocked door. Worst case scenario Hard Drive could've rendered all of the SWAT Kats weapons useless and they'd have to rely on a low-tech or alternative means to combat him...

... :roll:
0 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:55 pm

MoDaD wrote:That whole scene is so awful. It'd be one thing to never show up, but from her perspective, Chance and Jake arrive only to abruptly leave without explanation, abandoning her in some back alley for an entire day.

It looks like it's morning when they first arrive and the middle of the night when they return at the end of the episode.

But, I guess pizza makes that okay :lol:

Ugh, I would have flipped that pizza all over their faces for that stunt.
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:23 pm

MoDaD wrote:[/img]While that would be a neat idea to see visually, given the context of the circumstances in this particular episode, it probably wouldn't have helped (and may have actually made things worse) as Hard Drive was shown to be able to easily bypass and modify computer security systems as easily someone passes through an unlocked door.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't have it in case of theft by someone other than Hard Drive. I mean, locks don't always work. People pick them or otherwise find ways of getting around them all the time, but nobody ever said, "Welp, they failed this one time, let's never use them again." :lol:
1 x

Darker
Resident
Flag: Spain

Postby Darker » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:54 pm

Feral: What do you think I am, stupid?
T-Bone & Razor: Bingo.

Peace out!

Easily my favourite comedic moment in the whole series, it's so sudden yet expected, and Feral definetely got served there.

I'm a bit impressed by the fact that Feral just left Hard Drive there in the cell, until his battery wears down. Isn't that practically a death sentence, considering Hard Drive is nothing but living electricity at this point?

Dark Kat: Do I make you nervous, Hard Drive?

DK, do you seriously expect anyone to NOT be nervous when you're around? :lol:

Dark Kat: I don't need defense secrets!

Pretty sure those would be helpful, DK.

Wait, how are they able to hear Callie?
Where does her voice message come from?

That's some mad destruction for someone who is just living electricity. Though if he just started some fire, then this amount of chaos would make sense.

The SWAT Kats got captured a bit too easily in my opinion, they should've put more of a fight. I guess it's just something that needed to happen to prove Dark Kat's point of them being nothing without the Turbokat, even though that's a huge lie, they're very skilled fighters and forces to be reckon with.

I also feel like the Creeplings, while obedient, are a bit too weak as minions for Dark Kat. They're diabolical, but they're not strong in any way.

Dark Kat: I want the SWAT Kats destroyed!
Dark Kat: I don't want them destroyed so quickly...

You were a bit more excited about their demise before, DK, don't be so inconsistent.

Dark Kat: Cocky until the end... I like that! But make no mistake. This IS the end!

One of DK's best quotes.

Ann Gora:[on TV] The SWAT Kats are trashing the city!
Dark Kat:[watching TV] No, I am!

Oh, that's freaking hilarious.

Dark Kat: Yes, those stolen defense secrets came in handy!

BUT YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T WANT THEM!! :roll:

Meanwhile, in the James Bond trap where T-Bone and Razor can't get out of, two Creeplings just show off their incompetence by not paying attenton to the SWAT Kats. Gotta give Dark Kat props though, at least he kept a few to assure the SWAT Kats' destruction, but I feel like they would be a lot more helpful if they were able to speak.

The hostage thing with Callie is so great, I was impressed by her when I first saw that.

Dr Evil: One Million Dollarsss...

Did T-Bone just punch through a thick ceiling made out of bricks?
Dang I don't remember him being so strong.

That old lady shouldn't eat pizza, I think. It's probably not good for her age.

And that's the end to my lazy review. Could've done better, but I'm pretty tired.
Great episode, it probably has some of the best animation in S1, but it doesn't match S2 in any way, there are still many classic animation errors, but also the voice sync is a bit off at times. This is probably my favourite Callie Briggs episode.

All hail the non-damsel-in-distress-kitty-woman!

1 x
It feels so good to be bad!
Click above & enjoy

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Dark Kat, put some pants on...
3 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”