S2E08b - The Origin of Dr. Viper

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Ocelot
Resident
Flag: Philippines

Re: S2E08b - The Origin of Dr. Viper

Postby Ocelot » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

A question of logic here in the characters.

- If Purvis only cared about money. Then why is he working for what looks like a nonprofit organization? Considering he is smarter then Zyme, he could have made it on his own.
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Postby marklungo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Ocelot wrote:A question of logic here in the characters.

- If Purvis only cared about money. Then why is he working for what looks like a nonprofit organization? Considering he is smarter then Zyme, he could have made it on his own.

Is Purvis smarter than Zyme? He's certainly more ruthless.
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:50 pm

I wouldn't call Purvis smarter. After all, it was Zyme, not him, who figured out how to use viper extract (unforeseen consequences and all). Purvis acted like he doubted it would work, and he seemed genuinely surprised when it did. In fact, other than trimming the rose they used as a test subject, the episode provides no evidence that Purvis contributed anything to the project besides bellyaching about money all the time.

Then there's his "plan" (and I'm being generous here) to steal Zyme's work. First, taking the entire jar of mutagen and the notes instead of only taking a little bit of the former and copying the latter, means that not only would the theft be easily discovered, but it would also be easily traced back to him. And not only doesn't he wait until he's sure Zyme is gone, he proves how sucky he is at thinking on the fly when he encounters Zyme in the hallway - rather than thinking up something resembling a plausible explanation for why he has the mutagen and notes, he simply outright states he's stealing them and runs. Then he adds an assault charge to his rap sheet by punching Zyme when he chases after him. Every action he takes upon being caught serves only to dig himself in deeper.

And who said Megakat Biochemical Labs is non-profit? Yes, Manx gave it a grant, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Even for-profit research facilities receive funding. Scientists are often criminally underpaid. And Zyme's decision to donate the Viper Mutagen to the city instead of making money off of it could simply be a one-time deal; and judging from Purvis' reaction, it was a last-minute decision that Zyme didn't consult with him about beforehand (probably because he figured, wrongly, that Purvis was just as altruistic as he was).

And if Megakat Biochemical is non-profit, then Purvis is an even bigger moron for getting a job there expecting to make money.

So, no; Dr. Viper is smarter than Zyme, but Dr. Purvis was IMO a lazy and incompetent scientist and an even worse thief. I think being turned into an undead mutant abomination actually improved Purvis' intellect. TboneLaughCait
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Ocelot
Resident
Flag: Philippines

Postby Ocelot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:19 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Then there's his "plan" (and I'm being generous here) to steal Zyme's work. First, taking the entire jar of mutagen and the notes instead of only taking a little bit of the former and copying the latter, means that not only would the theft be easily discovered, but it would also be easily traced back to him. And not only doesn't he wait until he's sure Zyme is gone,
To be fair Zyme coming back was pure dumb luck. How was Purvis suppose to know he forgot his glasses. If the theft was discovered how does it link back to Purvis? I say Purvis has a pretty good chance of getting away considering how awful the security guard is in the building. Anybody could have broken and stolen it.

Kooshmeister wrote:he proves how sucky he is at thinking on the fly when he encounters Zyme in the hallway - rather than thinking up something resembling a plausible explanation for why he has the mutagen and notes, he simply outright states he's stealing them and runs.
I think it was pretty obvious what he was doing. What excuse was he suppose to come up with? He's taking the formula out for a walk. ViperLaughCait

Kooshmeister wrote:Then he adds an assault charge to his rap sheet by punching Zyme when he chases after him. Every action he takes upon being caught serves only to dig himself in deeper.
I don't think cared at that point. And to be fair the Enforcers don't have a great reputation at catching runaway felons. If someone like Lenny Ringtail can escape them. Then Purvis probably liked his chances.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Ocelot wrote:To be fair Zyme coming back was pure dumb luck. How was Purvis suppose to know he forgot his glasses. If the theft was discovered how does it link back to Purvis? I say Purvis has a pretty good chance of getting away considering how awful the security guard is in the building. Anybody could have broken and stolen it.

But he still could've waited until he was sure he was gone. It was a big risk.

Ocelot wrote:If the theft was discovered how does it link back to Purvis?

Why wouldn't the assistant of the scientist who'd made it be a primary suspect? Especially considering:

Ocelot wrote:Anybody could have broken and stolen it.

Not just anybody either knew it was valuable, or that it even existed, outside of Zyme, Purvis, Manx and Callie. That's a very small pool of suspects, and Purvis would stand out, as he'd remained behind after Zyme left. Then there's how vocal he was about wishing they could profit off of the formula. Admittedly, most of it was behind Zyme's back, but he did make comments to Zyme himself about his desire for money ("How do they pay off for us?").

Plus: Security cameras. I'm positive someplace like Megakat Biochemical has them. Footage of Purvis walking into the lab and taking the mutagen and notes would exist. Admissible in court and just cause for a warrant.

Ocelot wrote:I think it was pretty obvious what he was doing. What excuse was he suppose to come up with? He's taking the formula out for a walk.

Not necessarily. He could've said he was moving it to somewhere more secure. Perhaps chide Zyme good-naturedly for being absentminded and forgetting to lock it up somewhere safe. He had a lot of options in that instant that didn't involve burning his bridges and going on the run. Anything other than "I'm taking the formula, Zyme!" would've made him seem remotely like he was actually carrying out a plan as opposed to just winging it like a moron.

Ocelot wrote:And to be fair the Enforcers don't have a great reputation at catching runaway felons. If someone like Lenny Ringtail can escape them. Then Purvis probably liked his chances.

Lenny evaded them, at most, for half a night. I'm sure that he would've eventually been caught. One incident of them failing to capture a regular escaped mental patient is hardly indicative of their competence. Considering we see comparatively little ordinary crime in Megakat City, I'd say they do a pretty good job of handling normal crooks, which Purvis was at that point. He wasn't Viper yet, just a greedy lab assistant.

No matter how you spin it, his theft attempt was pretty sloppy. As I said, he would've done better to just copy Zyme's notes discretely. But then we wouldn't have an episode, heh. So I maintain that there's little evidence of Purvis being more intelligent than Zyme. I'm not sure where you got "Zyme isn't smart" from. His only demonstrable shortcoming is that he's a really terrible judge of character. I reiterate that what made the mutagen work at all was Zyme's idea. I'm convinced he was the main creative force behind the project. I think Purvis was riding his coattails at best.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Return to “Episode Discussion”