S1E13 Katastrophe

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E13 Katastrophe

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Manx's toupee has a homing instinct; even when it detaches from his head it will always find its way back somehow.
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Felix Kayne wrote:Funny what you see when you decide to slowly move the DVD speed slowly frame by frame, manually...

Ah the look of those villain's faces :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: priceless extremely priceless
1 x

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Feral Punch!
Attachments
image.jpeg
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Here's something that just occurred to me. Blowout!, Lance Falk's original go at the season one finale before Glenn Leopold refined it into Katastrophe, Manx and Callie are captured because they're lured to a phony charity event.

In Katastrophe, Callie says the two are heading to attend the opening of the new Manx Wing at the museum, and are captured because Mac, impersonating the chauffeur, gasses them in the car. But, going off of Blowout!, is it possible the "Manx Wing" was as made up as the charity event in Lance Falk's original script? The episode never confirms it one way or another, and a wing dedicated to Manx's family (or even Mayor Manx himself) isn't out of the question, but the preparedness with which Mac abducts them suggests it's too much of a coincidence that he just happened to be impersonating their chauffeur the same night they were going to attend some function at the museum.

Of course, Callie would've likely called ahead and confirmed the event with Dr. Sinian, who would've been able to tell her whether it was real or not. So if the Manx Wing was real, then all that is required is for Dark Kat to know about it in advance, which he seemed to ("Fortunately I have another plan to lure the SWAT Kats to their doom."), so he could have Mac there to nab them as they came out to go to it.

Still, food for thought.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 pm

T-Bone: I thought we disconnected them for good!

Does this mean the SWAT Kats are unaware of what Feral did...?
1 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:13 am

An interesting thought; One that puts the "Kats Eye News" SWAT Kats sum-up half-episode into a new perspective, but isn't likely to be true.

If the SWAT Kats were unaware of Feral zapping the Metallikats with the Hackle-inspired Neural Neutralizer, that'd mean that after T-Bone picked up Razor and they tore off for home, they figured the Metallikats died in the crash of the Macrobots. They figure, problem solved; identities safe because the Metallikats are wiped out.

Their reactions during the Kats Eye news half episode may not be all that faked; old video footage shows that Feral confronts the Metallikats as their heads crawl out of the crater afterwards, and it goes unreported until Ann Gora does her SWAT Kats piece and says, 'hey, how come nobody ever mentioned this?' Of course, Jake and Chance at home watching the TV are stunned and horrified until they see Feral zap the pair. Makes a rather useless episode have slightly more of a point to it; If the SWAT Kats didn't know of Feral's action, it meant that act of nobility from 1x12 went unrecognized by them, and the larger public, for a very long time.

It also may mean that the Metallikats decided after that failed parley to hold onto that scrap of information for themselves.

----------------------------------

In general, I tend to avoid external resources from scrapped 'what-ifs' and show rewrites, and treat only the show and its Series Bible contents as canonical. I know there's arguments to be made that "No, they said 'x' in this one interview, so that's what they were really going for", but down that path leads a lot of arguments and fractious details. Although I personally am in love with the scrapped idea that they had for Mutilor where HUMANS were in SPACE, I nonetheless ignore it. If it didn't happen on the show, it doesn't exist as canon.

(That isn't to say that it can't exist in Fanfiction, I mean, come on...)

In connection to what I talked about earlier, there's the idea, scrapped from a script, that somehow the Neural Neutralizer Feral used on the pair scrambled the Metallikats' memory enough to remove their knowledge of the SWAT Kats' real identities. I immediately scoffed at this; it's a handwave Deus Ex, and tries, as so many poorly written narratives do, to fall back on the old "It was all a dream/Amnesia" defense to reset after a suitably dramatic moment. It's Amateurish at best. People argue that "They never bring up their real identities in the show again" and use that as the proof that the Metallikats don't remember. And I call bull puckey on that.

I know lots of people who know something and never bring it up. It's called keeping a secret. And they're never alone with the SWAT Kats again after 1x12, or at least, not alone with them in the present. Bright and Shiny Future we'll ignore, because they already killed the SWAT Kats once in that reality and then converted the salvage yard into a concentration work camp. "But wait, that's just a coincidence..." I can hear the counter-arguments already. Please.

The Metallikats know something that no other villain does; who their counterparts are in real life. And it's a secret they're willing to tuck away for a very rainy day, and one that they never bring up in mixed company. Why haven't they blitzed the pair at the salvage yard since? Not worth the trouble, plus, as I'll have them saying in the next chapter of "Transitions", the Metallikats are pretty sure that they wouldn't get nearly so damn lucky again. Before they were robots, they were gangsters, the co-leaders of their mob. You don't advance that far in a criminal career without a healthy mix of suspicion, paranoia, and planning. Albeit probably planning on Molly's part, Mac is by far the more instinctive, 'fly off the handle' kind of fella.

One last detail; the Neural Neutralizer made by Hackle in 1x12 to stop the Metallikats disappears after that episode. Again, shoddy work on the part of the script-writers. There's not even a mention of it being disassembled, or lost, and I doubt that the Enforcers would leave that tech on the ground and NOT stuff it in evidence lockup.

This missing Neural Neutralizer will be making a reappearance in "Digital Divide."
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:06 pm

It's possible Feral returned it to Hackle. However, if the neural neutralizer is really the only real "off switch" for Mac and Molly, I don't see why Feral would return it to the frail old scientist who has twice let the killer robots escape from his care. So there goes that idea.
0 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”