S01E12 – Enter the Madkat

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

S01E12 – Enter the Madkat

Postby AkaneKitty » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:53 am

I'm selfishly creating this topic because I've doing research about Madkat for a story :D

Anyhoo, this episode is my favorite, inching out Katastrope and Razor's Edge. Mostly because it has my favorite villain Madkat, and for other reasons like:

-I love how everyone is on a level playing field, Enforcers and SWAT Kats alike. Nobody's weapons work against Madkat, and he was like to shoot them back at you or use his own. He could warp all over the place, take over your equipment and even use that against you, shrink and grow tall... it goes on and on. For once, the SWAT Kats didn't have a firepower advantage.

-I liked Feral's heroics in this when he was trying to save Manx. He looked really good there. He failed, but that's par for the course in this show.

-The first glimpse of Feral out of uniform! And his apartment! I'd love to see him (and later Felina) in various Enforcer dress and casual out of uniform. As he is in MKC, I'd expect him to be packing at all times.

-Madkat himself. He's so...jovially mad and crazy. Unlike sadistic lunatic. He's like a Frank Gershwin Riddler, who I adore, and think is the best Riddler.

-This is one episode where the SKs got lucky in defeating the MOD. They didn't out think or out fly Maddie. Just lucky.

-This episode look like it took place over two days! I had to go back and check to see how the episode plotted out. So there is time gap between the Sks first encountering Maddie and his appearance at MBC the next day. I wonder what Maddie was doing in the interim.

Food for thought:
I wanted to see more of Feral's apartment and his closet.
Is Feral and Felina the only characters we don't see in another type of clothing? They seem to be always in uniform. Even what Feral shows up in this episode it just standard Enforcer dress.
What was Maddie going to do his collection of the King, Queen, Knight and Jester if the SKs didn't stop him?
Just what is the kat in the box anyway? Mad spirit?
Could the court that put Maddie away be tied to Queen Callista's court? Or another court entirely? Do the ancestor's line up?
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Re: S01E12 – Enter the Madkat

Postby MoDaD » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:01 pm

Coincidentally I was just updating a Madkat entry for something.

Anyway, I always thought this episode would have really benefited by an appearance from Dr. Abby Sinian who could explain more details about Madkat (though from a writing standpoint I also acknowledge it'd be kind of difficult to work in).

And, the level playing field you mentioned is a nice observation, though I'd probably use the label "grit" rather than "luck" when it came to T-Bone delivering the finishing blow at the climax of the episode (much like the climax of Unlikely Alloys).

I'm still suffering from a poorly executed upgrade to Yosemite that unexpectedly nerfed half of my stuff (including video codecs for making animated gifs), and haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot it. But, someone else on the board has been taking up that task lately :D
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:47 pm

MoDaD wrote:Anyway, I always thought this episode would have really benefited by an appearance from Dr. Abby Sinian who could explain more details about Madkat (though from a writing standpoint I also acknowledge it'd be kind of difficult to work in).

Yeah she really could have expanded on Madkat's origins and whether or not he was tied to the court Pastmaster was a apart of. I get why they used Katzmer but Abby's absence is glaring since she's the go to gal for history (and mythical beings).
1 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:58 pm

Actually, they had plans to bring back Mad Kat for the third season (which they were planning when the show got cancelled) and I bet Abby would have made an appearance by that point ;) Magic and SWAT Kats make a difficult combo, but definitely an interesting one, because of their handicap in handling that--it really DOES come down to luck in the end here, and it's definitely a cool point to make that Mad Kat DID level the playing field.
1 x
"So you SWAT Kats were telling the truth!"
"Duh, Commander!"

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:35 am

If Madkat returned, I actually hope he'd possess someone besides Lenny Ringtail. A lot of people seem to list "Lenny Ringtail" as Madkat's alter ego, but this isn't the case. Madkat and Lenny are two separate characters. And aside from them both being insane, having similar backstories, and a vague similarity in jawline, there's nothing saying Madkat needs to actually possess Lenny in particular to have a body.

What we do know is, apparently, Madkat does need a host, being a ghost possessing an otherwise useless kat-in-the-box, and since he apparently couldn't take over Katzmer (the shop owner), my own theory is it needs to be a willing host. Otherwise he would've long since taken over Katzmer, giving us a short, geriatric and vaguely Chinese Madkat. Instead, he never was able to get to Katzmer, and even when Lenny came along, notice how he seemed to, well, let's say, pour a honeyed potion into Lenny's ear to convince him to let him in. Because lunatic though he is, even Lenny seemed to find the whole thing kind of iffy at that point. Sure, he tried to steal the actual toy, but that was just because he was enamored with its history. Madkat didn't reveal himself to Lenny until that.

Now, that being the case, you may think, well, of course he could just possess Lenny again. After all, Lenny goes, "I'd be crazy to give this up!" at the end. And this may indeed be the case. But notice that despite still wanting the power Madkat gives to him, he seems to have reconciled with David Litterbin at the end. Meaning that if he did let Madkat back into himself, his goals would likely be at serious odds with Madkat's. Madkat's single-minded pursuit of vengeance would likely still consume him, whilst Lenny wouldn't see the point because he's reconciled with Litterbin a.k.a. "The Jester" and doesn't personally give a hoot about Callie, Manx and Feral. It could lead to some interesting internal turmoil between the two opposing personalities as they become increasingly less compatible due to Lenny's annoyance at Madkat's refusal to just let go, and Madkat's annoyance at Lenny refusing to just do as he's told.

So my idea is that Lenny, not Madkat, would undergo some serious character development with regard to just how much he actually wants those amazing magical powers, over, say, the course of three of four episodes (say two per season), which I'll cover in more depth over in the "What If" section.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:01 am

Kooshmeister wrote:f Madkat returned, I actually hope he'd possess someone besides Lenny Ringtail. A lot of people seem to list "Lenny Ringtail" as Madkat's alter ego, but this isn't the case. Madkat and Lenny are two separate characters. And aside from them both being insane, having similar backstories, and a vague similarity in jawline, there's nothing saying Madkat needs to actually possess Lenny in particular to have a body.

What we do know is, apparently, Madkat does need a host, being a ghost possessing an otherwise useless kat-in-the-box, and since he apparently couldn't take over Katzmer (the shop owner), my own theory is it needs to be a willing host.

Yeah, I think the kat-in-the-box just needs a host to become Madkat, instead of just needing Ringtail himself. I'm not sure if the host needs to be willing, but maybe just needs someone to line up with his interests?

For example, Ringtail wanted revenge against Litterbin. The kat-in-the-box wanted revenge against the court that put him there. Interests and desires line up, so the kat-in-the-box gets a nice shiny host. But things definitely go smoother if the host is willing. In my own current writings the kat-in-the-box, who's obsessing over a certain she-kat, is able to forcibly take a host that just has big crush on the she-kat. But he runs into some small problems later on when the host starts rebelling.

By the way, is the kat-in-the-box a 'he' or an 'it'? I'm leaning toward 'he'.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:58 am

Well, given it belonged to Madkat and was made in his likeness and it's possessed by his ghost and he's male...
1 x

Ocelot
Resident
Flag: Philippines

Postby Ocelot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:49 pm

I read the Animato artice review of this episode. The one thing I completely disagree with in that review is i thought Roddy Mcdowall was perfect as Madkat. I love his performance and I can't picture anyone else voicing Madkat. I've heard him play villains before in Gargoyles and Batman. But his performance as Madkat was really unique. The article wanted to have a more off the wall actor voice Madkat. I think that would have been a mistake. Madkat is out for revenge not to be a joker. Roddy Mcdowall i felt found the right sort of menace for Madkat. That made him feel like legit threat. Madkat reminded me a lot of Freddy Krueger based on how he used his powers and creatively coming up with ways to harm people.

Real shame Roddy Mcdowall passed away a long while ago. I would have love to hear him voice Madkat again.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:20 pm

I think he wants both; revenge and to be an entertainer. Keep in mind, Madkat is effectively two people sharing one body, disgraced comedian Lenny Ringtail and the vengeful jester whose name they both use while fused together. Madkat is using Lenny's body, but Lenny lets some of his own personality peek through from time to time. He says, after imprisoning David Litterbin, "I can provide all the entertainment Megakat City needs!" This is Lenny talking. So, after he/they have captured everyone on the hit list, satisfying the Madkat side, the Lenny Ringtail side of him wants to achieve his dream of being the "king of late night" and entertain everyone.

Just my interpretation, anyway.
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:21 pm

Ocelot wrote:The article wanted to have a more off the wall actor voice Madkat. I think that would have been a mistake. Madkat is out for revenge not to be a joker. Roddy Mcdowall i felt found the right sort of menace for Madkat. That made him feel like legit threat. Madkat reminded me a lot of Freddy Krueger based on how he used his powers and creatively coming up with ways to harm people.

THANK YOU. This is exactly how I feel, particularly nowadays when every pop culture property feels obligated to make every comic book style villain a carbon-copy Joker clone. It's really annoying, particularly when a character already has an established style or tone from other media, but when they appear in a movie they're completely out-of-character. The most egregious example that comes to mind is in Batman Returns, where Riddler and Two-Face are just parroting Joker's lunatic tone and style, when Riddler is supposed to be more cerebral and calculating and Two-Face is supposed to be more serious and menacing (oversimplifying here, I know, but you get the idea). It's another huge reason why I'm not looking forward to a certain upcoming superhero movie, because Jessie Eisenberg (who I thought, based on his performance in The Social Network, would've made an excellent Lex Luthor), but in the trailer it's like he's been coerced into playing Gene Hackman, the actor who played Lex Luthor in previous incarnations super-campily, instead of giving the character the kind of gravitas that Clancy Brown did in Superman: The Animated Series. More unnecessary "Jokerization."

And don't get me wrong, I'm as big a fan of the Joker as the next person (Mark Hamill's in particular), but it just gets tiresome (and reeks of lazy writing to me) when every villain is depicted like him.

So, yes, I, too also felt that Madkat's persona was appropriately subdued and menacing. I just wish the character had another appearance in season two.
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Return to “Episode Discussion”