S01E12 – Enter the Madkat

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Darker
Resident
Flag: Spain

Re: S01E12 – Enter the Madkat

Postby Darker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Ah, Madkat. The most underrated villain in the whole series.
0 x
It feels so good to be bad!
Click above & enjoy

Ocelot
Resident
Flag: Philippines

Postby Ocelot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:42 am

MoDaD wrote: The most egregious example that comes to mind is in Batman Returns, where Riddler and Two-Face are just parroting Joker's lunatic tone and style, when Riddler is supposed to be more cerebral and calculating and Two-Face is supposed to be more serious and menacing (oversimplifying here, I know, but you get the idea).
I thought that was more Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones copying the performances of the 60s Batman TV series villains. They were all like that manic,campy, and over the top. Which is what the Joel Schumacher Batman movies practically are. The tribute to the 60s Batman series.

But I do agree I don't like it also when memorable Villains like the Joker are ripoffed.

MoDaD wrote:
It's another huge reason why I'm not looking forward to a certain upcoming superhero movie, because Jessie Eisenberg (who I thought, based on his performance in The Social Network, would've made an excellent Lex Luthor), but in the trailer it's like he's been coerced into playing Gene Hackman, the actor who played Lex Luthor in previous incarnations super-campily, instead of giving the character the kind of gravitas that Clancy Brown did in Superman: The Animated Series. More unnecessary "Jokerization."

I like Gene Hackmans Lex Luther. He was a sleazy conman who happens to be a genuis. Judging from the trailers Jesse Eisenberg Luthor feels more over the top and campy. He kind of reminds me of Jim Carrey in Batman Forever actually lol. We will see how the movie goes but the trailer is not giving me optimism.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:30 pm

Darker wrote:Ah, Madkat. The most underrated villain in the whole series.

You sure? He seems pretty popular in the fandom.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Darker
Resident

Postby Darker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:43 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Darker wrote:Ah, Madkat. The most underrated villain in the whole series.

You sure? He seems pretty popular in the fandom.

He doesn't seem to get as much recognition as he should. He should be up there with Viper and Dark Kat, in my opinion. A shame we never appeared in Season 2.
0 x
Click above & enjoy

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:You sure? He seems pretty popular in the fandom.

I think people like Koosh and myself who've been around for awhile still think of Madkat being depicted as the unofficial "mascot" for the SWAT Kats's online presence. That whole visual style was how Strike themed the SK Zone, which was something I tried to reflect when I put up a content archive for it:

1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Darker wrote:
Kooshmeister wrote:He doesn't seem to get as much recognition as he should. He should be up there with Viper and Dark Kat, in my opinion. A shame we never appeared in Season 2.

True, unlike other one-shot villains, he had a lot of potential beyond just one gimmick. Have you seen my ideas for him over in the What If? section?
0 x

Darker
Resident

Postby Darker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Darker wrote:
Kooshmeister wrote:He doesn't seem to get as much recognition as he should. He should be up there with Viper and Dark Kat, in my opinion. A shame we never appeared in Season 2.

True, unlike other one-shot villains, he had a lot of potential beyond just one gimmick. Have you seen my ideas for him over in the What If? section?

I have not, I cannot find the thread. :oops:
0 x
Click above & enjoy

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Cait » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Darker wrote:
Kooshmeister wrote:True, unlike other one-shot villains, he had a lot of potential beyond just one gimmick. Have you seen my ideas for him over in the What If? section?
I have not, I cannot find the thread. :oops:
This one maybe?
0 x

Darker
Resident

Postby Darker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:35 pm

I guess I agree with all that, but I'd rather have Madkat being a more personal threat. With his godlike powers, Madkat could easily make the SWAT Kats feel hopeless and even reveal their identities. He's crazy enough to do that, especially after what they did to him. However I don't want Lenny to be Madkat again. It would be sweet to have a new kind of Madkat, I'd love the idea of Madkat taking over Dark Kat. Can you imagine how terrifying that would be? Dark Kat with Madkat's powers, and just to make it seem crazier, let's add Pastmaster's watch so that he can also travel through time and space. And we can also make it even crazier, as this time-travelling Dark Madkat could also steal Mutilor's technology and twist it in a typical Madkat way.

Madkat would become by far the most threatening villain in the series, even moreso than Zed who had enough firepower to blow up a freaking mountain like it was nothing.
1 x
Click above & enjoy

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Darker wrote:I guess I agree with all that, but I'd rather have Madkat being a more personal threat.

How would Madkat not be a personal threat in the scenario I laid out? He'd be a very personal threat for Lenny Ringtail, who'd effectively be battling an addiction to the power Madkat granted him. And the same for every individual he possessed afterward.

Darker wrote:However I don't want Lenny to be Madkat again.

Did you read the entire thing? I did posit that Madkat would eventually move on to someone else after finally being rejected by Ringtail.

Darker wrote:Can you imagine how terrifying that would be? Dark Kat with Madkat's powers, and just to make it seem crazier, let's add Pastmaster's watch so that he can also travel through time and space. And we can also make it even crazier, as this time-travelling Dark Madkat could also steal Mutilor's technology and twist it in a typical Madkat way.

Sounds like a gimmick too many. TboneLaughCait

Also other than his fighter craft, all of "Mutilor's" technology was just Aquian stuff he'd stolen.

Anyway, one thing I noticed in this episode is that when Madkat knocks Litterbin head over heels out of his chair, Chance complains that it's "not as funny as a Scaredy-Kat toon." You'd think slapstick like that would be right up his alley. In fact, being hit in the face with a bouncy ball definitely seems like the exact type of comedy that would happen in Scaredy-Kat. I think Chance is just determined to hate whatever isn't Scaredy-Kat, even when it does things Scaredy-Kat would do. TboneLaughCait

I also have to wonder about the "stupid kat trick" segment on Litterbin's show. All I can figure is that it's something akin to America's Funniest Home Videos, but we humans don't say "stupid human trick," we just say "stupid tricks."
0 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”