S1E11 - The Ci-Kat-A

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

S1E11 - The Ci-Kat-A

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:11 am

Boy, the punny titles on the marquee... :lol:

Pink Katillac, Claw Hard 3, Feline Instinct, Night and the Kitty and Silence of the Kittens.

Also, the guy behind them in the blue coat appears to be looking at a blank movie poster... he certainly isn't at the ticket counter.

And Hard Shell apparently did so well that the studio rushed out a cheapie sequel to theaters; Hard Shell 2 was being advertised while the first movie was still playing on movie screens!

More random thoughts: so Chance heard the title and thought it was about a tank? Why not a turtle? And Jake didn't bother correcting him? And he saw no posters or advertisements revealing it was a monster movie? And then sat through the entire movie before realizing it was about a giant insect? Unless Hard Shell only shows up for the exact amount of time we, the viewer, see him, Chance had to have already been aware "Hard Shell" was an alien beetle long before the movie's climax.

And Jake is one of those moviegoers. Overly enthusiastic and talkative, tending to point out the kind of obvious - "They're using the bug spray, now." (Although to be fair, it looked more like Hard Shell was splashed with scented hand lotion than any kind of insecticide I've ever seen; far too goopy, so his explaining plot points was helpful at least this time.)

They go to the theater in their mechanics' coveralls? Do they own no other clothes? This was an example of the animators being a little lazy, methinks.

The writers got lazy, too; despite introducing Chance's fear of insects, almost nothing is done with it. Basically everything that should've happened to T-Bone to exploit the bug phobia happens to Razor instead. And not even in a "T-Bone must overcome his fear to save his friend." He never conquers it, except insofar as the Ci-Kat-A make him a little milder around the Earthbound bugs. And this is just used as a gag at the end. Yeah, he frees Razor from the cocoon earlier, but that was more him just being vaguely grossed out than being afraid and overcoming it to help his partner. Basically they introduced a plot point, and then promptly forgot to, well, do anything of import with it. It wasn't even a mild inconvenience for T-Bone; just something for him to complain about once or twice.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Janitor

Re: S1E11 - The Ci-Kat-A

Postby MoDaD » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:13 pm

One thing about this episode that always stood out to me as odd was the MASA vehicle Dr. Street uses during his getaway in the middle of the episode, where it's revealed the vehicle has a concealed, rear-facing, rotary canon that Razor has to dodge on the Cyclotron.

0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:23 am

Ann really is the driving force behind the story for the first half of this episode. Though, one need not have a reporter's instinct to know that there's something shady (other than the sunglasses) going on at MASA.

This was recycled in the Season Two opener, and I'm curious if this is the first time this Turbokat sequence is ever seen (it's clearly Mook's awesome animation). If I had to guess (as I'm too lazy to check now) I'd assume it's from The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice.

And, the party is ready to start:

This scene always stood out to me, and I made a point of trying to emphasize it in that Hatred Chopper music video I made a few years ago ("Take off your face with the front of my hatredcopter...")

1 x
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:10 pm

MoDaD wrote:One thing about this episode that always stood out to me as odd was the MASA vehicle Dr. Street uses during his getaway in the middle of the episode, where it's revealed the vehicle has a concealed, rear-facing, rotary canon that Razor has to dodge on the Cyclotron.

Maybe it's a security vehicle? MASA also has guard towers with double barreled anti-aircraft laser batteries. Guns on everything, including civilian stuff, seems par for the course at research centers in Megakat City. In fact, judging by what we see of it, it seems like the Space Center is more well-defended than Pumadyne.

MoDaD wrote:Image

Interesting how the door in MASA says "Dr. Street - M.A.S.A" on it, as if they needed to remind everyone (including Street) where they worked. Sort of like how in the Topps Comics adaptation of Jurassic Park, the sign at the Dominican amber mine says it's an amber mine in the Dominican Republic, like the miners wouldn't remember what country it was without the ever-present reminder of the sign at the entrance.

MoDaD wrote:This was recycled in the Season Two opener, and I'm curious if this is the first time this Turbokat sequence is ever seen (it's clearly Mook's awesome animation). If I had to guess (as I'm too lazy to check now) I'd assume it's from The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice.

...and I'm ashamed to admit I never noticed! :oops:

MoDaD wrote:Image

"Aaagghh, space alien hickeys!" :shock:

"Can't you see what I'm trying to tell you? I love you!" :twisted:
0 x

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 pm

There are several things I noticed while watching this episode again that I never really paid attention to in the past. I got screencaps but I'm unsure how to add them and add text after them on my iPod since I'm rarely on my laptop these days. So.... I guess I'll just try to explain through text.

I never really noticed when the Swat Kats were flying back into the hanger how big the Salvage Yard really is in that shot. But I guess it's kinda explainable due to it belonging to the government, or military. Or... Whatever it was. Just from that shot you can see how big it really is.

Why and how do the Swat Kats have a TV sitting near them while they were cleaning out the intakes on the jet? It's not even plugged into anything. No cord is visible. What does it run on, batteries? Actually knowing Jake, he would have found a way to do that, seeing how smart he is.

The last that kinda stuck out was a little... Animation coloring error. After Feral crashes and Miss Briggs comes up to him, he pulls out his communicating device (walkie talkie?) and says to get more chopper back up with bug spray. At the end, we see the color of his eyes go from his usual yellow, to white.

Wow, that's a lot that I said...
2 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:00 am

FelixKayne wrote:I never really noticed when the Swat Kats were flying back into the hanger how big the Salvage Yard really is in that shot. But I guess it's kinda explainable due to it belonging to the government, or military. Or... Whatever it was. Just from that shot you can see how big it really is.

FelixKayne wrote:Why and how do the Swat Kats have a TV sitting near them while they were cleaning out the intakes on the jet? It's not even plugged into anything. No cord is visible. What does it run on, batteries? Actually knowing Jake, he would have found a way to do that, seeing how smart he is.

FelixKayne wrote:The last that kinda stuck out was a little... Animation coloring error. After Feral crashes and Miss Briggs comes up to him, he pulls out his communicating device (walkie talkie?) and says to get more chopper back up with bug spray. At the end, we see the color of his eyes go from his usual yellow, to white.

Also, Feral is really starting to approach Launchpad McQuack levels of incredulity when it comes to surviving crashes.

2 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:26 am

And, here's another pan:

1 x

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:55 am

MoDaD wrote:
FelixKayne wrote:I never really noticed when the Swat Kats were flying back into the hanger how big the Salvage Yard really is in that shot. But I guess it's kinda explainable due to it belonging to the government, or military. Or... Whatever it was. Just from that shot you can see how big it really is.

FelixKayne wrote:Why and how do the Swat Kats have a TV sitting near them while they were cleaning out the intakes on the jet? It's not even plugged into anything. No cord is visible. What does it run on, batteries? Actually knowing Jake, he would have found a way to do that, seeing how smart he is.

FelixKayne wrote:The last that kinda stuck out was a little... Animation coloring error. After Feral crashes and Miss Briggs comes up to him, he pulls out his communicating device (walkie talkie?) and says to get more chopper back up with bug spray. At the end, we see the color of his eyes go from his usual yellow, to white.

Also, Feral is really starting to approach Launchpad McQuack levels of incredulity when it comes to surviving crashes.

Well, thanks for the gifs... o-o

Really helps with my explanations. Giving a visual representation instead of my words alone.

Also yes, those crashes would've killed or seriously injure a normal person. Feral must have a body of steel with how often he crashes choppers.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:54 pm

When Feral climbs out through the helicopter windshield, he really should rip open his guts on the shards of broken glass sticking out of the frame. :shock:

Clearly, his abs are so tough that they cannot be pierced! :lol:
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:39 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:Boy, the punny titles on the marquee... :lol:

Pink Katillac, Claw Hard 3, Feline Instinct, Night and the Kitty and Silence of the Kittens.

XD I bet younger fans of today don't get the movie puns as that was before their time.

MoDaD wrote:Ann really is the driving force behind the story for the first half of this episode. Though, one need not have a reporter's instinct to know that there's something shady (other than the sunglasses) going on at MASA.

I liked Ann Gora in Chaos in Crystal, but this episode she became a favorite. LOL I particularly liked the scene where she, Jonny and the SKs were in the space shuttle trapped with those bugs. Ann just grabs up the video camera to whack at a Ci-Kat-A. Girl must be strong to do that XD or just in an adrenaline rush. Jonny was like "Annie! Not my camera!!" XD

MoDaD wrote: scene always stood out to me, and I made a point of trying to emphasize it in that Hatred Chopper music video I made a few years ago ("Take off your face with the front of my hatredcopter...")

Mwhahaha I still love that video. One of my fav SK vids. He is COMMANDER evil stopper! -g-

They did have tiny TVs which could run on big honkin' batteries (not for long tho) buuut that was probably an animation error, or as you suggested, some sort of rechargeable TV Jake rigged up. He should get his stuff patented! Then they could pay off their debts.
1 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Return to “Episode Discussion”