S2E05 - Cry Turmoil

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Betaruga
Killa Vanilla
Flag: United States of America

S2E05 - Cry Turmoil

Postby Betaruga » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Dude there was so much unused potential for this episode, which still definitely stands as one of my favorites (and offers T-Bone another layer of character development, even if it was at the expense of Feral's development after the show execs wanted to keep the series SK centric, rather than expanding on the other characters. Pretty sure if they went for the original script where Feral becomes a legit villain temporarily, he would have become the most controversial and dynamic characters of the series)

Anything else in particular really strike you guys about this episode?

There's actually something that I see in the fandom here and there that confuses me xD and its this:

T-Bone was on that aircraft for no more than a few hours tops, so why do so many fans act like they had a serious relationship behind the scenes on that ep when he was only there for an afternoon? Haha calling that a "relationship" reminds me of middle school? XD

I also considered like, whether they got "familiar" between cuts (writing that as PG rated as I can) when T-Bone changes into his flight commander uniform....and I think the answer is no. He leaves his mask on and had to have had some privacy in order to load his uniform up with explosives. Dunno how you swing that when you got company?
1 x
"So you SWAT Kats were telling the truth!"
"Duh, Commander!"

MoDaD
Janitor

Re: S2E05 - Cry Turmoil

Postby MoDaD » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:05 pm

My assumption was that there was a nebulous passage of time that occurred, but it's hard to justify as specific instances in the show (particularly Razor's boarding of the Airship and subsequent rendezvous with T-Bone) seem to suggest a rather rigid flow of events. As others have pointed out, that episode would've made more sense with the original premise of having Commander Feral be the love interest (despite the out-of-character repercussions it would have had on him). Turmoil was a villain with a lot of potential that I think has been better explored in fan fics and fan comics than in the actual episode itself.

Haha calling that a "relationship" reminds me of middle school? XD

At least T-Bone didn't give Razor a wedgie and take his milk money before tossing him out of the Airship.
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:28 pm

My assumption was that there was a nebulous passage of time that occurred, but it's hard to justify as specific instances in the show (particularly Razor's boarding of the Airship and subsequent rendezvous with T-Bone) seem to suggest a rather rigid flow of events. As others have pointed out, that episode would've made more sense with the original premise of having Commander Feral be the love interest (despite the out-of-character repercussions it would have had on him).

I totally respect that. And yeah, the plot line would have made more sense with Feral in it--though I'd have to say that the development would probably have made his character... grow more, or reveal more, than necessarily be out of character. Those are just my thoughts though :)

Turmoil was a villain with a lot of potential that I think has been better explored in fan fics and fan comics than in the actual episode itself

Oh totally. That's a good point. To be honest, if the show had bumped up a rating, that stay on the airship probably would have lasted longer, and we'd have had more of a glimpse into the "temptation" Turmoil's offer really had for T-Bone, as he put it. And not necessarily due to their chemistry, but that and actually having the opportunity to have a life with a woman he respects in a certain regard, and the freedom to fly without a mask. Of course T-Bone would never betray his best buddy tho. Or his integrity. Even in the face of dem cheekbones. *snaps fingers* DANG, son!

At least T-Bone didn't give Razor a wedgie and take his milk money before tossing him out of the Airship.

...HAHAHAHA!! xD Who knows maybe that was more true to personal history than Razor appreciated. I'm also a huge fan of the joke that T-Bone meant to kick him that hard as an impromptu outlet for roommate resentments. "That's for taping over my Red Lynx video!"
0 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Betaruga wrote:
My assumption was that there was a nebulous passage of time that occurred, but it's hard to justify as specific instances in the show (particularly Razor's boarding of the Airship and subsequent rendezvous with T-Bone) seem to suggest a rather rigid flow of events. As others have pointed out, that episode would've made more sense with the original premise of having Commander Feral be the love interest (despite the out-of-character repercussions it would have had on him).

I totally respect that. And yeah, the plot line would have made more sense with Feral in it--though I'd have to say that the development would probably have made his character... grow more, or reveal more, than necessarily be out of character. Those are just my thoughts though :)

Yeah, Feral would a way better choice. There's no suspense with T-Bone...at least with Feral there would always be a question of 'will he or won't he', and then a question of if he really returned back to the good side (or if he ever left it).

And Feral in T-Bone's wouldn't exactly destroy his characterization. Just look at Callie. She couldn't believe Feral didn't take the Metalikats deal (cue 'You don't know your Commander' disbelief). Feral could just play up aspects that everyone thinks he's a blowhard type of kat who just a hair from corruption, suck in Turmoil, turn the city on its ear (cue wailing from Callie about how could he do this to us) before flipping the script and bringing in Turmoil himself.

Hmm...I smell fanfic possibilities...

Of course, they could always go with the idea has a thing for bad girls. :D Feral needed love on this show too darn it. :D
1 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:31 am

I think the "relationship" thing stems from the fact there was contact later beyond those few hours. T-Bone actually took the time to write her a letter, one in which he hoped she kept her "whiskers clean", and called himself her top gun. Which wow really T-Bone? Not sure how long after the event that was, she was incarcerated in Alkatraz prison so I assume there was a trial and everything which may've taken awhile. Honestly I'd like to see something between them, like maybe as Chance he comes into contact with her for whatever reason should she be let out on parole (not likely to happen tho) and befriends her to see if she's on the up and up. It would never work out of course, as he won't go to her side and she clearly isn't interested in behaving.

I don't think it was written for people to assume T-Bone was going bad. I mean we hear his inner thoughts which yeah he's finding her attractive and all, but I felt it was clear he wasn't turning sides. Though when I first saw that episode, I was at a family gathering and caught it in the middle. T-Bone was in that uniform at that point and was all "let's drain this city dry" and kissy face and I was like "WHAT the heck is going on?!" lol without having seen the first part of that episode. At that time we didn't have CN so I couldn't see the second season eps unless at someone's who had it so I didn't get to watch that episode fully until a few years later. It drove me nuts lol wondering how close WAS he to turning, but again that was without seeing the whole thing.

This is one of my favorite episodes, and Turmoil one of my favorite villains. I wish it was longer, it was all a bit rushed (another reason it was more obvious T-Bone wasn't committing betrayal). Seeing another rival pilot for the SKs was great, Turmoil was a serious threat and there was a bit of characterization for T-Bone. Plus I love Turmoil's design, a beautiful femme fatale. I wouldn't mind seeing the original version with Feral but this is what we got and I'm glad Turmoil was introduced to the series, even if for half an episode.
1 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Riverbend
Just Moved In

Postby Riverbend » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:09 pm

There's a reason why I picked Turmoil for my Avatar. I'm a huge Turmoil fan.

With this episode I felt very much cheated with it being so short. There was alot of great potential in the episode to be a full half hour. I once flirted with the idea that T-Bone was on that airship for at least a day or so, but really that doesn't seem to fit right anymore. The fact T-Bone had those bombs made me wonder if he wasn't set up to do that anyways. Like he planned the entire 'turn coat' thing when he saw the villain was a she kat.

I had alot longer winded thought process but the train has derailed in my brain. LOL.

RIGHT? I'm actually wondering how T-Bone managed to swipe them onboard without Turmoil noticing. What, she didn't bother having her crew search him first?
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:30 am

Maybe the bombs were taken from Turmoil's armory.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:22 pm

I think if they make a sequel to this episode, Turmoil should become several hundred feet tall due to some freak incident, break out of prison, and walk around the city smashing everything. XD

Then! She could get in a fight with an equally-large mutated version of another supervillain, or some kind of giant robot, and wreak even further havoc in the process. It could be like an homage to kaiju films. Could you imagine T-Bone's reaction?

...what? I think it's a great idea. :oops:
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:38 am

Sounds like someone just wants an excuse to have a hundred foot Turmoil. :lol:
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla