S2E04 - Razor's Edge

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

S2E04 - Razor's Edge

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:39 pm

This is what TV Tropes calls "fridge logic," a term originating from something Alfred Hitchcock said (although he called it "icebox logic"). It basically means it's something you don't notice or think about while watching the show or movie but some indeterminate time later. And for me, the big one is the fake elderly couple in Razor's Edge. How were they not found out sooner? By someone besides Razor?

Think about it. They're not actually injured, and they're not even old. They're two young hoods wearing masks. Anyone who examined them either at the accident site or at the hospital/on the way to the hospital would very easily determine these things. How could anyone declare them seriously injured without even the most cursory examination - one which would've discovered, no, they're not hurt, and they're also wearing masks. Even if the masks are so seamlessly attached and super-lifelike, it'd still be obvious to anyone looking at them without their clothes (or at least their shirts) that these are young bodies.

You can't fake broken bones, not from trained medical professionals, so, were the doctors and nurses in on it? What about the paramedics who carried them away on stretchers? Y'know, the ones who determined they were injured in the first place?

What I think is that, yes, Dark Kat bribed some of the people working at the hospital. These two would have to be kept isolated from everyone not also working for Dark Kat, so only a select inner circle of bribed staff members would come and go from their room, and it would've been off limits to anyone else. And as for the first responders, either they were the real deal and bribed or fake medics in a fake ambulance, but in any event, to ensure they'd be the ones who "examined" the "victims" and determined they were actually "hurt," they would've had to have lain in wait to be the first ones at the scene ahead of anyone else.

All this intricacy brings to mind another bit of "fridge logic," namely, how did Razor even get in to see them? Forget bribed doctors and nurses ensuring nobody comes and goes from their room, the frickin' Enforcers, unaware of all of this and thinking it was an actual, hurt elderly couple, should've had someone there. I'd say police protection doesn't exist in Megakat City, but we've seen the Enforcers directly defend Manx and Callie, so what gives? Is Enforcer protection only for the wealthy? Do these two (as far as Feral knows) random joggers not count? Sheesh.

I know this is a beloved episode, and it is fun (I love the hospital fight scene!), and I know I'm thinking way too much about it, but, hey, isn't that what this forum is for? :lol:
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Re: S2E04 - Razor's Edge

Postby Felony » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:19 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:What I think is that, yes, Dark Kat bribed some of the people working at the hospital. These two would have to be kept isolated from everyone not also working for Dark Kat, so only a select inner circle of bribed staff members would come and go from their room, and it would've been off limits to anyone else. And as for the first responders, either they were the real deal and bribed or fake medics in a fake ambulance, but in any event, to ensure they'd be the ones who "examined" the "victims" and determined they were actually "hurt," they would've had to have lain in wait to be the first ones at the scene ahead of anyone else.

All this intricacy brings to mind another bit of "fridge logic," namely, how did Razor even get in to see them? Forget bribed doctors and nurses ensuring nobody comes and goes from their room, the frickin' Enforcers, unaware of all of this and thinking it was an actual, hurt elderly couple, should've had someone there. I'd say police protection doesn't exist in Megakat City, but we've seen the Enforcers directly defend Manx and Callie, so what gives? Is Enforcer protection only for the wealthy? Do these two (as far as Feral knows) random joggers not count? Sheesh.

I know this is a beloved episode, and it is fun (I love the hospital fight scene!), and I know I'm thinking way too much about it, but, hey, isn't that what this forum is for? :lol:

I always figured Dark Kat had every little detail to this planned. Paid the impostors (I bet there was retaliation from Dark Kat after it was learned of their slip up...), paid, blackmailed or even threatened the hospital staff, probably the same for the ambulance drivers (or they could have been hired goons even)... That's part of why I love Dark Kat's brand of villainy, everything is detailed and there is often a back up plan or two in place. Sure it would've been interesting to show Dark Kat approaching the hospital staff and all, but time was limited and I figure most viewers came to the same conclusion that more than just those two impostor kats were paid.

As for how Razor managed to sneak in, he didn't walk in through the main entrance I'm sure. Coming down through roof access most likely, using his SWAT Kat skills to get to their room. The police don't usually have guards posted from victims, and there wasn't a reason for there to be as the couple obviously weren't the targets of the SWAT Kats, they were just near the exploding warehouse at the wrong place at the wrong time. Feral does blame them, calling them dangerous and a menace, but he knew they weren't specifically going after an elderly couple.

I really enjoyed this episode for the depth it gave our boys, particularly Jake/Razor. Also w00t ninjakats! Hoooi! First time we see henchmen instead of just creeplings (or another villain) working for Dark Kat. Plus his whole plan just wow, he got into Razor's mind there. Makes me wonder what all he knows of those two from all their times battling it out y'know?

I also enjoyed:
The hospital fight! LOL
T-Bone doing detective work.
Felina and T-Bone working together some.
Dark Kat's Black Widow Spidercraft. Turning energy into mass! Wonder if he uses that to supersize his lunch? XD

Though I gotta say... I can't believe after all this time and after all the damage the SKs did cause saving the city, this was the first time civilians were injured. >_>
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:21 am

Felony wrote:First time we see henchmen instead of just creeplings (or another villain) working for Dark Kat.

Just a shame they never actually fight anyone besides that guard at the start. And even then, all they do is chuck him across the room. After this, they're reduced to being console jockeys. The writers really underused them.

Felony wrote:Though I gotta say... I can't believe after all this time and after all the damage the SKs did cause saving the city, this was the first time civilians were injured. >_>

Their track record is still intact because these two were phonies - in fact, there's another complaint. I thought revealing that the elderly couple were not only faking it and working for Dark Kat but also not actually even elderly was cheap. A quick and easy way to wrap up that part of the plot in a way that leaves Razor squeaky clean and, as noted, keeps the SWAT Kats' track record of improbably never accidentally harming innocents intact.

Rather than it all being emotional manipulation in a plan by the bad guy, what if Razor really had caused that explosion, realizing he isn't the sure-shot he thought he was, but regains his confidence when he apologizes to them and is forgiven? I think it would've had a much more lasting emotional resonance if they'd been real, had held no hard feelings, and had been the ones to encourage Razor to get back in the saddle and save the city.

Mark Lungo tells me that the same guy who wrote this episode also later did the Biker Mice from Mars episode Modo Hangs It Up, which had essentially identical circumstances. Can anyone confirm whether the people Modo is supposed to have injured, resulting in his crisis of conscience, were faking it, too?
0 x

SwatKatsFan1
Resident

Postby SwatKatsFan1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:25 pm

That episode was also my favorite to, I liked:
-the detective work
-the hospital fight
-Razor loosing his edge and then being able to gain it back
-Dark Kat getting his tail whipped

However, some parts of the episode don't actually make sense, like how could the doctors have not noticed their patients were faking their injuries. If you closely observe the scene where Razor is trying to apologize to the Old Couple, you'll notice that the woman has a cast on her neck. I bet Kooshmeister's right that some corruption goes on in MegaKat City. In my fanfic world, Dark Kat was able to get help from Charlie Tan (the leader of the MegaKat City Yakuza) with his scheme and that would work since that would explain where the ninjas came from and Tan bribed Major Thompson to remove any evidence at the site of the explosion to make the SWAT Kats look bad. Thompson wanted to frame the SWAT Kats so he can go after them in order to replace Feral as commander while naively trusting his boss to deal with the crisis.
Enough about my fanfic world, I think that police protection does exist in MegaKat City and I think the Enforcers thought the Old Couple would be safe since they felt the SWAT Kats had no reason to harm them or there is some corruption going on in the series and outside my fanfic world. Who knows?
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:43 pm

SwatKatsFan1 wrote:that would work since that would explain where the ninjas came from

That's one idea. Other theories have included them being fanatical followers of Dark Kat's (notice they have purple fur). They may also just be mercenaries. However he got them, I have this amusing mental image of Dark Kat putting a want ad in the newspaper: "Help Wanted: Must be willing to dye fur purple."

SwatKatsFan1 wrote:Tan bribed Major Thompson to remove any evidence at the site of the explosion to make the SWAT Kats look bad.

Then he did a sucky job 'cause T-Bone and Felina still found those blasting cap remains...

SwatKatsFan1 wrote:I think that police protection does exist in MegaKat City and I think the Enforcers thought the Old Couple would be safe since they felt the SWAT Kats had no reason to harm them or there is some corruption going on in the series and outside my fanfic world.

Possible, but it's worth noting that besides Steel, the Enforcers seem pretty genuine and loyal, so there's no immediate evidence of any of them besides him being corrupt. And anyway, when I suggested a larger conspiracy of corruption, I was talking about crooked doctors and nurses, not Enforcers.
0 x

SwatKatsFan1
Resident

Postby SwatKatsFan1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:09 pm

That's funny having Dark Kat ordering his men to dye their fur purple and I think my idea would work because where does Dark Kat have a volcano as a secret hideout, an abandoned warehouse, a tuna factory where he nearly killed T-Bone and Razor in "Night of the Dark Kat", and that place on the island where he held Manx and Briggs hostage? That would cost money and Dark Kat is probably desperate for cash because why else would he order Hard Drive to rob the treasury. It would be logical if Dark Kat was being sponsored by the Yakuza or someone else in the show.

And yeah, Thompson is more incompetent than Steele or he didn't have time to remove the explosives since Commander Feral and the Enforcers arrived to the scene.

And yeah again, there are crooked doctors and nurses which is why I bet that the hospital performs medical operations without reporting them.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:25 pm

SwatKatsFan1 wrote:That's funny having Dark Kat ordering his men to dye their fur purple and I think my idea would work because where does Dark Kat have a volcano as a secret hideout, an abandoned warehouse, a tuna factory where he nearly killed T-Bone and Razor in "Night of the Dark Kat", and that place on the island where he held Manx and Briggs hostage? That would cost money and Dark Kat is probably desperate for cash because why else would he order Hard Drive to rob the treasury. It would be logical if Dark Kat was being sponsored by the Yakuza or someone else in the show.

Actually, considering the events of Night of the Dark Kat, it seems more likely he finds himself through robberies. It just went for the treasury because, hey, he had the Turbokat and a guy who could turn himself into electricity that day. Dark Kat being Dark Kat, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who accepts donations from lesser criminals. And why would this hypothetical Megakat City Yakuza fund Dark Kat, anyway? What are they getting out of it? I would think they'd see Dark Kat as a threat; competition.

SwatKatsFan1 wrote:And yeah, Thompson is more incompetent than Steele or he didn't have time to remove the explosives since Commander Feral and the Enforcers arrived to the scene.

One wonders, then, why his fellow Enforcers haven't found him out yet... or why whoever he's working for hasn't decided he's not worth it and stopped paying him. Or killed him.

SwatKatsFan1 wrote:which is why I bet that the hospital performs medical operations without reporting them.

Well, my idea about the existence of corrupt paramedics and hostipal staff was only intended as a suggestion for why the elderly couple weren't found out as fakes. While people who'll take hush money from a tall purple guy in black robes wouldn't be above other kinds of illegal activity, it's still just as much of a fan theory as mine is.
0 x

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:53 pm

I had a thing about it even being a little kid that got injured:
Attachments
kitty.jpg
kitty.jpg (29.43 KiB) Viewed 862 times
0 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Artsite
My Blog
Art Commission Info

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:49 pm

Dark Kat being Dark Kat, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who accepts donations from lesser criminals.

I'd tend to agreee, though I wonder if instead of taking "donations" he'd be the type who would accept "dues," to give patronage to Dark Kat in the hopes that he'll stay out of their business.

...because why else would he order Hard Drive to rob the treasury.

That's an interesting point, though I personally never got the vibe that Dark Kat was short on cash. I'd always viewed this as a tactical move - keep in mind Dark Kat was trying to frame the SWAT Kats, so he'd have Hard Drive implicate them for a petty, pedestrian crime (both to make them look bad and to also distance his involvement) - and likely to also bankrupt the city to make it an easier target.
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:33 am

MoDaD wrote:I'd always viewed this as a tactical move - keep in mind Dark Kat was trying to frame the SWAT Kats, so he'd have Hard Drive implicate them for a petty, pedestrian crime (both to make them look bad and to also distance his involvement) - and likely to also bankrupt the city to make it an easier target.

Except didn't he figure they were dead at this point? In fact, now that it occurs to me, he captures them, sets them up to be killed and then frames them? Why bother ruining their reputation if they're (as far as he knows) already dead? I know he flat out says "Not only have I destroyed the SWAT Kats, but their reputations as well," but still, it seems a little backwards. And even though the obviously escapable death trap was obviously escapable, that's a fault of the script, and Dark Kat is limited to what he can do within the confines of that, so he had to have assumed they were going to die.

Although here's another issue; his contingency in case they escaped, the button being wired to explode the building, makes no sense. He says it's in case they shut it off, but that's actually the last thing they'd do from their positions. More than likely, upon getting free, they'd just roll off the conveyor belt, and run out leaving the machine running. The only conceivable scenario I can see the button being pressed to stop the belt is if one SWAT Kat got free before the other one and got off, then pressed the button to halt it. That's possible, but weirdly specific. I'd have wired the front door of the building after leaving, myself.
0 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”