S2E04 - Razor's Edge

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

Re: S2E04 - Razor's Edge

Postby MoDaD » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:45 pm

"Not only have I destroyed the SWAT Kats, but their reputations as well," but still, it seems a little backwards.

I can see things from your point of view, but here's why I think Dark Kat's actions regarding this point make sense (and feel free to disagree, as this is entirely subjective):

1. The public wouldn't know the SWAT Kats are dead, just Dark Kat and Hard Drive. Dark Kat is sadistic, and wants the SWAT Kats to suffer a horrible, drawn out death (the conveyor crusher). Once they're dead, he doesn't want to leave any evidence (rigging the factory to explode). I'd assume that factory was going to be a pile of smoldering rubble regardless of an escape attempt or not.

2. Ruining their reputation postmortem is useful because Dark Kat can continue to operate secretly, keeping the attention on the "SWAT Kats" and away from himself while he completes his objectives, demoralizes the city, and weakens the position of the city's elected leadership that had both passively and actively backed the vigilantes.

3. He can later have the SWAT Kats "die" in a confrontation with the authorities once the ruse is no longer useful, the ruined reputation denying the heroes the label of martyrs, further serving Dark Kat's sadistic desire to effectively kill the SWAT Kats both literally and metaphorically.

As you've shown, the way things are portrayed in Night of the Dark Kat are admittedly clunky, but I can see what they were trying to attempt, and I still think it pales in comparison to the level of (enjoyable) absurdity displayed in Razor's Edge .
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

SwatKatsFan1
Resident

Postby SwatKatsFan1 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Kooshmeister, I'm confused. How would Tan and the Yakuza see Dark Kat as a threat? They need each other. Dark Kat promised to make Tan expand his criminal operations as long as he gets a large share of his profits and Tan has ninjas that are all hopelessly devoted to him. So I don't get it.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Criminals, especially organized crime, are highly territorial. Dark Kat doesn't generally share; either people work for him or they don't. Even in the "alliance of evil," he made it clear that he was the bossman. He came up with all the plans and let everyone else do the legwork. If a Megakat City Yakuza existed, he'd see them as a threat if they didn't work for him. And since they wouldn't wanna work for him, being incredibly territorial mobsters, they'd likely see Big D as a threat. But I think it's obvious most of this is in a fanfic of some kind. Therefore what the characters do and don't do is entirely up to the author.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

SwatKatsFan1
Resident

Postby SwatKatsFan1 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:02 pm

Good point
0 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:08 am

Another good episode, indeed. Just loved how deep they go with Jake's feelings.

Kooshmeister wrote:the fake elderly couple in Razor's Edge. How were they not found out sooner? By someone besides Razor?

I didn't thought about that... But as you all deduced, probably Dark Kat prepared everything from the begining, as always. Sometimes I see Dark Kat as a genius, always having everything planned to the last detail, knowing that much about technology and even keeping in mind the most insignificant things. He even go through Razor's mind this time LOL What a pity such a great mind is at the dark side... <u_u">
0 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”