S2E06 - The Deadly Pyramid

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

S2E06 - The Deadly Pyramid

Postby MoDaD » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:04 pm

I always thought that the animation in this episode looked extra slick, even though in the past some have criticized the characters (Razor in particular) look a little off-model. But, I think that's a small price to pay, as this is one of the most action-packed episodes of the series, with a lot of cool details, with the SWAT Kats running a gauntlet that pushes them to their limits.

Always enjoyed this scene, as I think it's the only time in the show where Razor's legitimately panicked and doesn't know what to do:

Razor: One mummy, Mega Manacles!

Razor: T-Bone! (yelps) T-Bone!

T-Bone: Crud! Drop him!

Razor: Too late! He’s going to rip us to shreds!
T-Bone: Then I’ll just have to scrape him off!

But, he gets redeemed with some pretty cool karate-moves:

(I think it's worth noting this bit of teamwork was done without either of them exchanging a word beforehand.)

Also, while the Pastmaster maintains his typically screaming of "Noooooooooo!" at the end of his appearance (like in all the episodes he appears in) this time he doesn't seem to disappear in an ambiguous fashion - he plummets into lava, with about 25 tons of stone debris chasing after him:

So, is the Pastmaster 110% dead now? It is his last appearance...

Anyway, more GIFs here.

And, always liked this little detail, with Razor slashing Callie's restraints with his claws, as they''ve exhausted all other resources and equipment by this point:

Also, this is one of the only episodes I haven't been able to make a panorama merge for. Wondering if I'm just missing a scene pan...

It may be interesting to note that this is Callie Brigg's last appearance continuity-wise (she appears in The Origin of Dr. Viper, but that's technically a flashback episode). Also, Lt. Felina Feral is suspiciously absent.
1 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Re: S2E06 - The Deadly Pyramid

Postby Betaruga » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Sweet gifs MoDaD! And yeah, this episode was seriously slick looking. I'm actually torn between which episode wins the Best Animation spot, this one or Unlikely Alloys. Apples and oranges in some ways to be honest. I personally dig that they draw the characters in an "organic", semi-realistic style, whereas most of the time, the two of them are far more... angular in season 2 (and kinda floppy in Season 1) I think Deadly Pyramid was that one episode that basically made me become a conscious observer of animation and my appreciation for it, because it contrasted so much with the rest of the series? Part of my childhood love for SWAT Kats came from the comic-book anthology-esque switch-up of styles.

I think my favorite moment is when Cybertron is all beaten up and beeping at T-Bone and Razor and they're like, "The mummies got Callie?!" LOL shameless Lassie moment xD
2 x
"So you SWAT Kats were telling the truth!"
"Duh, Commander!"

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:56 am

Well by this point "Callie got kidnapped" was sort of a given. She was there, she isn't anymore, Cybertron is all beat up, therefore deductive reasoning dictates the villains trashed him and got her. As opposed to them interpreting Cybertron's beeps I think they just went with what seemed like the likeliest scenario. I mean, considering the rate at which it occurs, the SWAT Kats probably leap directly to "Callie got kidnapped" as the first explanation in every scenario. :lol:
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Kanogetz
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Republic of Serbia

Postby Kanogetz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:36 am

Oh man, this episode rocks! Superb animation with great action shots and perspectives, giant mummy warriors, lots of devastation.. great stuff.

I remember I recorded this particular episode on vhs and after the episode ended, I used to watch it later so that I could examine the frames and practice my drawing. It was kinda painful pausing it on the exact frame that I was searching for but I think it was worth it in the end! :D

Gotta say, I love Cybertron, I think he was adorable. He's gesticulation when he was ordered to protect Callie and Dr. Sinnian always makes me smile. He did his best, also felt really sorry for him when he got smacked into a wall, ouch. I remember that Professor Hackle said that it will take years to repair him and now, over 20 years later, with new series on the way.... MAYBE.. we'll get to see him again? :lol:
Last edited by Kanogetz on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
slothful artist / dynamic gamer / mechanized bum.
http://kanogetz.deviantart.com/
http://stungunwolf.tumblr.com/

Ocelot
Resident
Flag: Philippines

Postby Ocelot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:05 am

MoDaD wrote:even though in the past some have criticized the characters (Razor in particular) look a little off-model.

I actually liked the way Razor looked here. He looked more catlike instead of the weird whiskers he has in the other episodes. All the characters are superbly drawn here. Most especially Callie, this is the most beautiful she has looked in the entire series. And also love the cameo from Callista.
4 x

Darker
Resident
Flag: Spain

Postby Darker » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:21 am

MoDaD wrote:But, he gets redeemed with some pretty cool karate-moves:

How is that karate, though? It's such a basic throwing move. :lol:

MoDaD wrote:Image
(I think it's worth noting this bit of teamwork was done without either of them exchanging a word beforehand.)

Seriously how are these kats so ridiculously strong? Those huge mummies could take laser guns like nothing, iirc, yet a kick from the physically weakest one of the SWAT Kats does some damage to their heads?

That's way too much strength for these guys.
0 x
It feels so good to be bad!
Click above & enjoy

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Not so, if you think about it.

In my story, "Foundation of Trust", I have Felina eventually comparing notes between T-Bone and Razor, and she realizes that those are more than just callsigns they chose. They're actually a very accurate reflection of both their personalities and their fighting styles. Their names, whether the Tremblays meant to imply it or not, are indicative of how they approach a fight.

T-Bone is just as his name implies: A juggernaut. Being the more physically imposing of the two, he prefers brute force. T-Bone is the one more quick to throw punches, rely on chokeholds, and the like. It's in his personality; direct, in your face, and very sure of himself.

Razor, on the other hand, is someone who relies on precision. Make no mistake that he's strong, but it isn't raw force and strength that he uses as his primary weapon, but rather his dexterity, his flexibility. Razor doesn't have to be the bludgeoning cudgel or warhammer that T-Bone is; He applies his strength selectively. His skill in the martial arts isn't to be underestimated. On infiltration missions, he's the better pick. Razor doesn't have to be strong enough to knock down the entire wall. Just like his namesake, he relies on a sharp cutting edge; maximum force applied in a very precise spot for greater effect.

In this same episode, we saw him kick his way out of a stone sarcophagus. You can't do that with just strength alone; his ability to land his blows carefully and SURGICALLY is what makes him such a terror to his enemies. With that evidence in mind, I can easily see him being able to do a flying jump kick and strike the crystalline faceplates of the Katchu Picchu mummies. Notice the damage; he doesn't kick out the entire frame, he cracks it, a spiderweb of damage around a very small, locally centered impact point.

Lastly, recall that these mummies suffered from "Power Rangers Putty Patrol" weakness...hit them anywhere else, they get back up and keep coming. You have to hit their emblem...their faceplate, in the case of these behemoth mummies...to cause a critical blow. And even then, you need to shine a little light on the subject. The Enforcers all try for bodyshots, center of mass. It doesn't matter what kind of weapon they're shooting, apparently; it doesn't do them any good, as the attacks don't focus on the mummy's weak spot. Laser cannons, helicopter gatling fire, tank rounds, whatever. The undead have always been particularly resilient, regardless of medium.

Sure, this is meant as a mechanism to show once again how useless the Enforcers are in Omega Level crisis events and how awesome the SWAT Kats are, but really they're not stronger than a tank, or a helicopter's gatling gun.

Razor just knows where to hit them to make it count.
Last edited by MoDaD on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added URL
3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:29 pm

EricoBard wrote:In this same episode, we saw him kick his way out of a stone sarcophagus. You can't do that with just strength alone...

EricoBard wrote:...his ability to land his blows carefully and SURGICALLY is what makes him such a terror to his enemies.

4 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:42 pm

Ohhh, nice gifwork there. :) And very apt to the conversation.
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:25 pm

MoDaD wrote:Image

The Pastmaster has got got a really hard head. :lol:

I gotta say, I'm surprised this didn't cause the Pastmaster to smash apart into his component bones. 'Cause he seems like such a fragile little guy and yet he takes that statue to the face like a champ!
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Return to “Episode Discussion”