S2E03 - When Strikes Mutilor

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination
Flag: United States of America

S2E03 - When Strikes Mutilor

Postby LowdogCraft » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:11 am

This episode was always one of my faves, mainly for the Speed of Heat turbine enhancement and the villains of the episode, Mutilor and his assistant, Tragg. Tragg is personally my favorite of the two, due to his dark aqua skin, and the fact he attacks with a laser pistol and doesn't wait to attack until the LAST POSSIBLE MOMENT. My love for this episode miiiiight also have something to do with the climax. It's so well animated and in my opinion, is one of the best animated scenes in the entire series. But enough with my opinions. Let's see what you guys thought of this episode! :)
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

MoDaD
Janitor

Re: S2E03 - When Strikes Mutilor

Postby MoDaD » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:03 pm

The whole episode was pretty solid start-to-finish, though the Thunder Truck segment, while visually cool and a neat action scene, was ultimately kind of pointless, as that was time the SWAT Kats could've used to finish work on the Turbokat.

But, that finale was definitely one of the most memorable ones due to the animation.

This is also an interesting, somewhat character-defining moment for the SWAT Kats (and the series as a whole). The SWAT Kats are pursuing Mutilor, and there's no misjudging their intent: they're going to do everything in their power to stop him, even if that means outright killing him. No time for moral quandaries or debating what's right or just: it's a state of war with the survival of everything on the line. Which brings me back to a point I made some time ago, where I think the SWAT Kats fall closer to the anti-hero side of the continuum due to their pragmatic moments that are scattered throughout the series.
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:22 pm

That's a great point MoDaD! They definitely aren't like Batman in their vigilante approach (although moreso like him than less so) because it's true, when there's no option to give up a villain for arrest, they... tend to just straight up kill them. "Bingo!"

The "Speed of Heat" always arouses some confusion in me though, and I can't help but shake my head at it sometimes xD The amount of sass in this episode and the beach scenes are definitely highlights for me--as well (and especially, to be honest) Felina Feral Independence Daying that biz years before Indepence Day even released.
1 x
"So you SWAT Kats were telling the truth!"
"Duh, Commander!"

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:39 am

I liked this episode as well for the dramatic. This was one serious threat, probably one of the biggest since these space pirates were about to kill off katkind by draining all its water. It was a threat that affected more than just Megakat but the whole world.

This episode showed us there is at least three more other alien races out there, something more than the Ci-Kat-As as we have the Aquians, Zarhabi and whatever Mutilor and his crew are. I'm really glad they decided to not go with the original ending of the Aquians being humans cause meh boring. The Aquians are neater and lol I love how they too are cat like. Not all cats dislike water! XD

I agree with MoDaD that the Thundertruck was kinda pointless, though least they were using something besides the Turbokat. That would've been a fun toy that's for certain! Also, SWAT Kats in space w00t! More proof of the genius of the SKs' tech.
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:13 am

The clever thing about the Aquains is they're essentially feline versions of rubber forehead aliens from Star Trek. They're almost literally just blue cats with alien bits stuck on. :lol:
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

LadyStormcrow
Resident

Postby LadyStormcrow » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:13 pm

One thing I found myself wondering after watching this episode again is, why do the (mostly) peaceful Aquians have a giant spaceship that can carry an entire Earth-like planet's worth of water? What were they planning to do with it? (My personal theory is that Grimalkin and his crew are terraformers - dumping mass quantities of water on a barren planet seems like a good first step toward making it habitable.)

Also, like Felony pointed out, this was a threat toward the entire planet and all of katkind, which makes me a little disappointed we didn't get to see the reactions of more characters, especially the regular villains. They would've been just as doomed as everyone else if Mutilor succeeded; if the story had been longer, maybe there could have been another "good guys and bad guys have to team up to fight a bigger threat" plot?
3 x
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead shall party on the Internet.

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Perhaps they're water merchants, taking water from uninhabited worlds to sell to planets in need of it (basically just like Mutilor, except with scruples). Or perhaps it's a generation ship and they need the water themselves. If the former, I hope they were able to help the Saharbis who seemed pretty hard up for water.
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Return to “Episode Discussion”