S1E04 - Destructive Nature

Threads dedicated to the discussion of individual episodes. Everything from casual observations to in-depth analysis welcome.
Swatkatfan21
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: S1E04 - Destructive Nature

Postby Swatkatfan21 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:14 am

Kooshmeister wrote:Plus the idea is cold is the Plantimals' Achilles' heel, the same way electricity is the bacteria monsters' (they say heat, but all three times, it's clearly electrical current being utilized against them). So naturally it affects them instantly. :lol:

I can image everytime the Swat Kats defeated a monster it went into the Enforcers' training manual.

Chapter 1: Creeplings

Lone creepling: punt into nearest wall.
Two creeplings: Use one as a club against the other.
Three or more: Full auto
A dozen creeplings: Kiss your tail "good-bye"

Chapter 2: Giant Monsters
Option 1: Stall the creature until Swat Kats arrive.
Option 2: Run away when Feral's not looking!*
*Your medical coverage is terrible... Run you moron!*

Chapter 3: Dr. Viper
Just burn, shock, or freeze the nasty little things.
5 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:07 am

Swatkatfan21 wrote:Between Feral's ego and the Mayor's cheapness they were fighting an uphill battle.

Well, in Feral's defense, despite his ego, I think he really does care about the city and the people in it; he clearly is a jerk and has an ego which is bruised frequently, and is overly prideful, but aside from the flashback in The Wrath of Dark Kat, he usually puts the safety of the city before his ambition. So he's far more of a gray character than Manx, who is very career-minded, puts himself before others, and only cares about the city insofar as he sees it as his personal possession (it's always "my city").
3 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Swatkatfan21
Long-Term Resident

Postby Swatkatfan21 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Swatkatfan21 wrote:Between Feral's ego and the Mayor's cheapness they were fighting an uphill battle.

Well, in Feral's defense, despite his ego, I think he really does care about the city and the people in it; he clearly is a jerk and has an ego which is bruised frequently, and is overly prideful, but aside from the flashback in The Wrath of Dark Kat, he usually puts the safety of the city before his ambition. So he's far more of a gray character than Manx, who is very career-minded, puts himself before others, and only cares about the city insofar as he sees it as his personal possession (it's always "my city").

I would have to agree with you on that one. Heck, how often have people thought poorly of any of us due to a bruised ego?
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:44 am

While rewatching this, I realized... Razor's Ejektor Seat apparently has a homing function.

When he goes into the tower, he ejects (ejekts?) in the seat and crashes in through a window on what we later learn is the 145th floor.

After the first commercial break, we last see the seat sitting upright in the room Razor landed in, and he walks off. Thereafter, he encounters Callie and the two head to the roof (more on this in a second). There, after a scuffle with Viper, the two get picked up by T-Bone in the Turbokat... complete with Razor's seat, last seen on the 145th floor.

Also, judging by the pic above, Razor can stick his fingers through glass.

Now, why did Razor and Callie go to the roof? At the time they make this decision, they're in the air ducts on the 145th floor. Even before they get the idea to freeze the building, they're going to the roof for some reason. And even after getting the idea, why head for the roof? The place that will have to be the main target for the tank of rocket coolant? The place where Viper is? The place T-Bone (repeatedly) tells Razor he can't get close enough to for an extraction? Going to the roof makes no sense. And the only thing that happens when they get there is a fight with Viper that ends with Razor getting his butt kicked; if not for T-Bone's timing, Razor would've fallen 300 stories to the pavement.

But for whatever reason, they go, and act like they have to go. The only point of no return is when they encounter the giant Plantimal in the central air shaft, which chases them up. Only then do they have to go up. It would've made more sense if they were originally looking for some other way out, intent on avoiding the roof entirely, and the encounter in the air shaft is what forces them to go upwards.

Also, interesting how, despite all of T-Bone's claims, the flying Plantimals left the Turbokat alone long enough for him to both rescue Razor and get Callie. Where were they during the rooftop confrontation? I know the walking Plantimals* on the roof couldn't see the Turbokat rising up, but the flying ones should have!

*We really need this episode's script or model sheets to learn what to call the very different types of Plantimals. There are so many radically different-looking kinds that just "Plantimals" is insufficient sometimes, and I hate saying "walking Plantimal," and "flying Plantimals" and "giant Plantimal," especially the third one, as I then have to specify whether I mean the one guarding the front door, or the one in the air shaft. TboneLaughCait

Also, I found this odd:

One of the very few instances that suggests Megakat City has any law enforcement besides the Enfocers. And, it being an early episode, the designers and animators still haven't quite gotten the hang of "K instead of C," so it isn't "M.K.P.D.," it's "M.C.P.D." There are three explanations:

1. By "M.C.P.D.," they mean the Enforcers, as in early episodes, the Enforcers are sometimes called the police (Razor's "Try the police band" in The Metallikats).
2. There is a regular police which we never see.
3. There was going to be a regular police force in addition to the Enforcers, but they were phased out in pre-production, with little things like this being all that remains of their existence in the show.

#1 is the most likely, especially considering, their very specific name aside, the Enforcers are police. Similarly, Feral says "the authorities are handling this," not "the Enforcers are handling this" in The Giant Bacteria. So I'm willing to bet almost any references to police or authorities in early episodes are meant to refer to the Enforcers.

#2 is the least likely. Even if they don't handle large-scale threats, you'd think after so many episodes we'd see some evidence of them besides police tape. #3 I can kinda see, but I'd need some further comment from the writers or the Tremblays or whoever first.

There is this guy seen very briefly in The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice, but he could be anything from a weirdly recolored Enforcer officer, to some kind of meter reader or a guard for one of the nearby buildings; any job requiring a uniform and peaked cap.

There are also these cars, which show up with the Enforcer Sergeant's cruiser at the museum. However T-Bone says "the Enforcers are here," so I think they're just a type of Enforcer car we never see again.

3 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 am

One of the very few instances that suggests Megakat City has any law enforcement besides the Enfocers. And, it being an early episode, the designers and animators still haven't quite gotten the hang of "K instead of C," so it isn't "M.K.P.D.," it's "M.C.P.D." There are three explanations:

1. By "M.C.P.D.," they mean the Enforcers, as in early episodes, the Enforcers are sometimes called the police (Razor's "Try the police band" in The Metallikats).
2. There is a regular police which we never see.
3. There was going to be a regular police force in addition to the Enforcers, but they were phased out in pre-production, with little things like this being all that remains of their existence in the show.

#1 is the most likely, especially considering, their very specific name aside, the Enforcers are police. Similarly, Feral says "the authorities are handling this," not "the Enforcers are handling this" in The Giant Bacteria. So I'm willing to bet almost any references to police or authorities in early episodes are meant to refer to the Enforcers.[/quote]

I noticed the tape too. I thought C was for city since Megakat is one word?
Maybe the police are the ground troop division and enforcers are air? Then would there be a Jurastiction issue like with the police and FBI?
1 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:07 am

I always thought they were so futuristic with robots and flying cars which would be great the way I go threw tires. Then I noticed Callie smashes a plantimal with a typewriter. Why? If I ever have kids one day and make them watch the show they'll think I grew up without computers. Although I was talking to a student of mine about the show and they asked if it was in black and white if it was in the 90s
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Jiesi wrote:Maybe the police are the ground troop division and enforcers are air? Then would there be a Jurastiction issue like with the police and FBI?

No dice. All the ground vehicles and troops have the Enforcer logo on them, and all the model sheets for them identify them as being Enforcers.

Jiesi wrote:Then would there be a Jurastiction issue like with the police and FBI?

If so, then why are Commander Feral and Felina seen operating both air and ground vehicles?
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Jiesi wrote:Maybe the police are the ground troop division and enforcers are air? Then would there be a Jurastiction issue like with the police and FBI?

No dice. All the ground vehicles and troops have the Enforcer logo on them, and all the model sheets for them identify them as being Enforcers.

Jiesi wrote:Then would there be a Jurastiction issue like with the police and FBI?

If so, then why are Commander Feral and Felina seen operating both air and ground vehicles?
I think if the logo was the same it's ok since there's mounted police, police motercycles cars helicopters etc. but to label the tape with pd. I don't know. But I have wondered if there's other branches.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Either way, I'm pretty sure the Enforcers are the only law enforcement game in town and the "M.C.P.D." do-not-cross tape and mentions of "police" are all examples of what TV Tropes calls "early installment weirdness."

What I can't explain is why the prison van in Chaos in Crystal has the Enforcer logo on the hood:

It's the only thing connected to the prison which features that logo. The guards' uniforms have their own symbol on them (an orange circle inside a larger yellow one, seen on Lem's shoulder in the screenshot above), so the prison isn't run by the Enforcers. Despite this, their vans have the Enforcers' logo on them. I can only assume that for whatever reason the Enforcers loaned vehicles to the prison.
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Here's a missed opportunity in the episode: Wouldn't it have been neat if T-Bone, not Razor, had come up with the idea for the super rocket coolant? Obviously, Razor (and Callie) would've still made the discovery that the Plantimals are weak to cold, but it would've been interesting if it was T-Bone, remembering the outer space-themed video game he played, thought of going to MASA.
2 x

Return to “Episode Discussion”