Fanfic Writer Problems

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: United States of America

Fanfic Writer Problems

Postby Ty-Chou » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Anyone else have this problem. I really have a difficult time with short stories. My brain wants to write ALL THE THINGS and stories always end up longer than I mean them to be.

The short story contest was a fun challenge for me because it forced me to narrow my thoughts and keep them focused on just one story aspect.

Anyone else have any writer's woes they want to talk about?
5 x

MintySage
Fandom Veteran

Re: Fanfic Writer Problems

Postby MintySage » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 pm

*laughs, meme!* All. The. Time.

I have four works in progress that demand my attention, but keep constantly getting pushed back. The ideas are there, I know what the characters are going to say, I know where the scene is going and how the story is going to end. It's weaving the story together and the wording that will always stump me. I'm terrible at writing action scenes, so my brain decides it's not going to let me continue until I write a decent enough action scene so I can get to the next part.

My other problem is that I get a little too excited to get the story out into the open... hence the four works in progress. RazEmbarrassed
3 x
Se habla Español. | Tweet, Tweet TboneSmile

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:33 am

One time when I wrote a story, I made some effort to keep the story short and not get too mired in extraneous details. I tend to like to get to the point quickly and not drone needlessly on about things. I shared the story with the respective fanbase, and people complained that it was too short and seemed rushed.

While I wanted to make an effort not to bore the reader and take up all their precious time, it didn't occur to me that a longer story may have actually been better received.

So my question is, is there a particular reason you want to write shorter stories?
2 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:49 am

I'm having this problem now.

I'm trying to finish Mad Love, but then another one shot came up that I want to write. Then on top of that I'm really interested in writing a SK AU set around the time of the Roaring 20s or prohibition.

Drives me nuts. My brain goes "Me? Write one story? Ha!"

But I'm dead set on completing Mad Love. That story is going to come out whether it wants to or not.
3 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Mikazo wrote:
So my question is, is there a particular reason you want to write shorter stories?

Largely because the shorter the story, the sooner I can finish it. I am very good at starting writing projects and very bad at ending them. My brain always comes up with new ideas, ready for the next story. My largest fanfic series is currently 5 books and 600,000 words. Is it finished? Of course not.

Do my unfinished projects stop me from starting new ones? Alas, no. Now, when people ask me how long a story should be, I always give them the same answer: The story should be as long or as short as it needs to be. But I have so many projects and so little time, I am constantly thinking "How can I make this shorter and get this story done faster." It sure takes out all the needless filler. But is it always a good thing, I don't know. I just know I will probably be writing fanfiction (and original novels) for the rest of my life with how many ideas I have.
1 x

Return to “Fanfics”