How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby Mikazo » Thu May 31, 2018 6:14 pm

Since there is talk about rebooting the series, has anyone discussed whether they would rewrite some elements of the original story? More specifically, how closely should the new show follow the original?

Put it this way - if you are trying to reboot Star Trek, DuckTales, RoboCop, or any franchise like that, you will have very big shoes to fill. Those movies and shows were popular and have an enduring legacy. Remaking those is like walking a tightrope, where you have to preserve the original story while at the same time creating new material. These remakes are not always successful. In contrast, the Swat Kats only lasted a few seasons. While it was the number one syndicated cartoon at one point, it was still a passing phenomenon, resembling a mole in a "Whack a Mole" game. It popped its head up only to be swiftly struck back down, never to resurface. Its existence was abruptly cut short before it could really blossom into its full potential. I'm just being dramatic here. :) But because of its very short initial run (so many years ago, at that), maybe the writers have a lot of creative liberty. In some ways this could be just as much about creating a new show as it is rebooting an existing one.

And let's say the new show really takes off and surpasses the old one in quality, viewership, and length. A revamped or updated story could be a good move in this case. And either way, would it really upset the apple cart too much if the 1993-94 version of the show did one thing and the 20xx version did another?

So as an example, what could they update? Just speculating here, but maybe the heroes' backstory needs some work. In the original story, our heroes (or anti-heroes?) disobey a direct order from their superiors. As a result they accidentally blow up their headquarters, and as punishment, they are relegated to working in a scrap yard to pay off the damages. There are so many problems with this idea. It's the Enforcer headquarter building and they have lots of powerful enemies - of course it's going to get attacked anyway. Don't they have insurance for this? How did our heroes end up being transferred to a scrap yard that conveniently sits over an old hangar/bunker? How will they ever pay off what must amount to millions or even billions in damages within a single lifetime? Some people may like this story the way it is, but I could see some potential in making a new backstory. That's just one idea.

Any thoughts?
2 x

Leon Mane
Resident

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby Leon Mane » Thu May 31, 2018 8:16 pm

The story could definitely take a little more of the run-time, for me. Not a lot more, but enough to build the world up, give a good lore to really dig into. Overall, things just usually reverted to status quo too often, and nothing really changed. Story arcs are becoming the norm, so I say go for it. Let's see who Mac and Molly Mange were before they were the Metallicats, show us more of who Elrod Purvis was. Background is key for developing the characters, so take a season to introduce villains before they were city destroying threats, maybe set the path to them becoming the dangerous machines, to give the 'good' doctor a taste for his evolutionary mutations.

I'd like to see Mac and Molly running a gang and giving Feral trouble, robbing banks, barely escaping choppers and slipping the net with clever tricks or sheer dumb luck.

Purvis could make a mistake trying to get crops to yield a greater harvest, or multiple harvests year round, but one compound turns pumpkins into monsters that threaten the city on Halloween, but instead of fear, he starts wondering what else he could make. Eventually, greed and the thought of power leads to that fateful day he falls down the stairs, covered in the Viper mutagen, and is reborn as Dr. Viper.

Flesh out the characters, give them broad, real personalities, give Manx a rival for re-election, give Callie some credit for being the one to really run the city, throw Feral a bone more often by letting him finish a bad guy (like the time he punched Viper into the shield).

Maybe an episode or two now and then set in the past, showing Queen Callista defeating the Pastmaster when he was alive and not a lich. Goodness knows the villains could have used more screen time tongue their motivations actual depth.

Thinking on it, I'm sort of following Gotham's original premise. Not the current one, because it's starting to feel like Game of Thrones.
2 x

Tarnish
Just Moved In
Flag: Hungary

Postby Tarnish » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:28 am

Mikazo wrote:Since there is talk about rebooting the series

Who said that and when? Christian Tremblay clearly stated at Anime Matsuri they want the new show to be a continuation of the original, not a reboot. Or did they change their plan?
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:43 am

Tarnish wrote:

Who said that and when? Christian Tremblay clearly stated at Anime Matsuri they want the new show to be a continuation of the original, not a reboot. Or did they change their plan?

Oh he did? I probably just missed when he said that. Well, carry on. :)
0 x

Tarnish
Just Moved In
Flag: Hungary

Postby Tarnish » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:30 am

Mikazo wrote:
Tarnish wrote:

Oh he did? I probably just missed when he said that. Well, carry on. :)

Well that was in 2016, but I haven't heard them saying or implying they changed their minds.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:21 pm

An actual first episode would be good. And not killing off Dr. Zyme this time around wouldn't be a burden, either. RazLaugh
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:12 pm

I see great potential in a reboot too but, maybe after we got a few seasons of the new continuated show. Something like "SWAT Kats Zero". If the new show doesn't touch what we saw on the first 2 seasons too much, we can easely get a nice reboot.

A nice reboot would be the one that tells the same story we saw earlier focusing in the story more than in the action and maybe splitting some episodes in parts to give more space for nice elaborated plot. Also, adding details like the ones you said (like adding Manx a rival) are good additions to make it feel something new. This last idea for example can lead to some interesting sittuations to both Manx and Callie. How about Manx is about to lose his position due to the last villain threat? Callie could be working not just for Manx, but also for this rival, making her doubt and even reconsiderate her actions. Maybe Callie could try to help Manx to maintain his position for just a bond or something that happened in the past. We already know the failure that Manx is, but there could be more we haven't see yet that makes him a more decent person for the charge.

This example applies to every character in the show, even secondaries, and I definitely want to see this.

PS: the original show could even be "truth". What if what we saw till now is just the version of someone in the third season? There is a whole new truth to discover then!
3 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:53 am

A lot of people frown on retconning for a number of very good reasons. It can be cheap and upset a story's continuity. At the same time there may be some aspects of the show that either need to be cleaned up or just rethought in general. Or just updated.

Like the technological stuff. Megakat City is very high-tech. Should the new show reflect technological advancements in our current society too? Do the characters have self-driving cars? Would they have smartphones and text each other? Actually that could a double-edged sword - somehow I don't see much aesthetic appeal in watching characters walk around looking at their phones.

Imagine Callie texting the Swat Kats instead of calling them:

SK giant masters attaching city need ur help pls hurry
*monsters attacking sorry autocorrect

There is already a lot of high-tech stuff in the show, it doesn't make sense not to include the phones. But that could change the show a lot too.

Speaking of technology, here's an idea! What if they revisit "A Bright and Shiny Future?" In the original, the Swat Kats are transported to a future in which robots have enslaved katkind and the Metallikats are in charge. Sort of Terminator-esque. Now they could make another version in which, instead of enslaving the kats, the robots have simply replaced all the workers. Now almost every sector of the economy is automated so unemployment is rampant, not to mention the Metallikats have rigged the system so all the gains go to them. The Swat Kats would have to stop the Metallikats in order to prevent the economy from collapsing, so civilization can transition into a post-scarcity society and colonize outer space!

Well, anyway. Lots of potential. :oops:
2 x

Leon Mane
Resident

Postby Leon Mane » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Auto-correct sucks (it just suggested 'ducks' when I wrote sucks, for example). Never have I found a reason to text or otherwise write 'ducking', when I refer to a game being of consistently poor quality (In other words, sucking. Vampire Rain, worst game since ET (Auto-correct switched in SAT for that!) for the Atari 2600.).
0 x

eag1e98
Just Moved In

Postby eag1e98 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:01 am

I know the tremblays and Lance would like to work on a story involving their parents (primarily chance's father). I also know they wanted to do something similar to our favorite fan trope (3rd member). They wanted a she-kat that wouldn't necessarily go out in the field but help out on technology (and possibly some hacking)...at least that's what was talked about at anime matsuri.

But as Lance said, when it comes to SK never say die SKLogoIcon
2 x
"Aviate Navigate Communicate" a phrase uttered by every flight instructor to tell the student to fly the darn plane

Return to “SK Show Discussion”