Can we get some more details about SK Revolution at Anime Matsuri?

Any fandom news about the SWAT Kats, Kats Eye News wants to know!
MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: Can we get some more details about SK Revolution at Anime Matsuri?

Postby MoDaD » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:53 pm

Poecat wrote:Dedication indeed. I'm not sure I would had been able to stand the pressure on a head cold like that and flying for as long as you did. Along with the little sleep and RL stuff going on.

I mention these details not to be all "Hey, look how awesome I am," but more "This is why things aren't up to the standards I'd hoped for," excuse. One of my greatest fears when I started this was that I didn't want to become THAT GUY. Every fandom has one. You know what I'm talking about ;)
0 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:03 pm

MoDaD wrote:I mention these details not to be all "Hey, look how awesome I am," but more "This is why things aren't up to the standards I'd hoped for," excuse. One of my greatest fears when I started this was that I didn't want to become THAT GUY. Every fandom has one. You know what I'm talking about ;)

I know what you're talking about. X3
0 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:19 pm

You surely had a bad time... Even so, you did a great job that not many people could do in your situation (I didn't have the time yet to see the video, I want to see it in one time but didn't have an entire free hour x.x) Anyway, it's great to see you went better at the con and you managed to not fulfill those bad expectations to a certain point. :)

How is the illness now? Did it let you enjoy the con at least? x.x
1 x

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:30 pm

MoDaD wrote:I mention these details not to be all "Hey, look how awesome I am," but more "This is why things aren't up to the standards I'd hoped for," excuse. One of my greatest fears when I started this was that I didn't want to become THAT GUY. Every fandom has one. You know what I'm talking about ;)

Oh... I'm sorry if I said the wrong thing...
1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:32 pm

FelixKayne wrote:Oh... I'm sorry if I said the wrong thing...

Not at all! :lol:

I appreciate the concern :D

I'm just trying to relay the experience accurately without it being too self-serving or overly dramatic. I'm still not 100%, but after two weeks of not going to the gym I really need to go back today. It's going to feel like physical rehabilitation at this point, but I'll make it a light day and try to get back into my stride gradually.

Anyway, sorry for the bits and pieces - I'll be adding to this thread gradually as well (likely in the mornings - I know I'm doing a horrible job being timely with this).
2 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:06 am

MoDaD wrote:[...] Same time, I contacted Christian. (At the behest of Mr. Goodkat) I explained my background, and he was on-board with the idea of having someone do a lot of event pieces comprised of photo, video, audio and anything else I could put together, as it would help them showcase just how popular SWAT Kats is even after 20 years for some studio meetings he'd be having the week after the convention. Got in contact with the event organizer, cleared my press credentials, and have everything set.

Not being a native speaker I had to check the word behest. Most translations of this word into German are of the kind "to give someone an order to do something" or "to push someone to do something", but it can also mean "at somebodies request". I would say that I suggested to ask the Tremblays about this.

I'm glad that they agreed and that the staff at Anime Matsuri was so cooperative. Especially when having in mind that we would have to deal with rather poor material of the second panel otherwise, filmed with cellphones. So, thanks for all of your effort, MoDaD.
Thinking of it, I'm quite touched that my suggestion played such an important role in this project. :D

But in case that it has crossed one's mind reading the word behest, I just want to make it clear that I don't order people around in this forum, don't have the means to and also don't want to. :lol:

MoDaD wrote:I don't like to announce projects or ideas until they're either done or a near certainty. Too many times in the past others have made bold proclamations only to have them fall flat. This would've been one of the boldest, and if I failed, it would've been one of the most disappointing ever. I didn't want to risk getting people's hopes up only to crush them with disappointment. I knew this would be a controversial decision.

This is perfectly understandable and also a reason why I agreed on not to say anything until it was over. Although I'm not around in the fandom for that long, I've noticed that there were quite some bold promises made in the past (e.g. fan-made movies) and there are also a lot of unfinished projects. If you take a look at FanFiction.net for example, you'll see that more than the half of the SK related fan fictions are in progress and I doubt that majority of them will ever be completed.

Besides, if I were in your shoes, I also wouldn't have wanted to make a fool out of myself in case that everything would have gone wrong.

MoDaD wrote:I mention these details not to be all "Hey, look how awesome I am," but more "This is why things aren't up to the standards I'd hoped for," excuse. One of my greatest fears when I started this was that I didn't want to become THAT GUY. Every fandom has one.

Good thing you pointed that out. It would be a pity and a bitter disappointment if you would become a self-loving blowhard, because of this. ;)

MoDaD wrote:I had contracted a severe illness in the days leading up to the event, and why (if you happen to catch sight of me during any of the footage) why I look like a zombie.

[...]

I'm just trying to relay the experience accurately without it being too self-serving or overly dramatic. I'm still not 100%, but after two weeks of not going to the gym I really need to go back today. It's going to feel like physical rehabilitation at this point, but I'll make it a light day and try to get back into my stride gradually.

Anyway, sorry for the bits and pieces - I'll be adding to this thread gradually as well (likely in the mornings - I know I'm doing a horrible job being timely with this).

You pushed yourself to your limits (and probably even way further). So, take good care of your health, because it's way too precious for you too risk it any further, no matter what. Besides, turning into a zombie would make conversation rather difficult ("Braaaiiins!").

I think, what most fans wanted to see (the second panel) is already available, so there is no need to rush.
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Alright, so it’s Friday morning about 10:00am, I walk the eight blocks from the Holiday Inn to the George R. Brown Convention Center. It’s an interesting setting, because there are three simultaneous events going on the same block – basketball games, and a barbecue cook-off event, along with blocks of road construction that have completely torn up the roads. I’m glad that I didn’t bother renting a car as that would’ve made things impossible. Uber wound up being very useful along with the Houston Taxi Cab company.

I would’ve done more external shots, but everything was a mess due to construction, so I de-prioritized that.

So, the first hurdle, check-in. This is where I hold my breath and make sure my credentials made it through (I brought along hard copies of emails just in case). Managed to verify that and get my press pass taken care of – they told me where the “secret” room was for the press pool – which could’ve been useful for interviews – but I wound up not using it.

So, with that out of the way, I start setting up for some b-roll shots. Hundreds of people are filling up the lobby waiting for the main floor to open. I takes some notes on the first guy in line (I’ll drop his name in later as my notes are away from me at the moment) who’s been waiting since 5:00am. He’s a huge Morning Musume fan, and he keeps popping up throughout the weekend (I could probably do a small vignette just for him). I setup an opening shot with my secondary Nikon right at the entrance to get everyone walking in as the doors open while I take more shots with the telephoto. People are mix of excited and irritated – can’t blame them as waiting in line isn’t fun.

Gate opens and people rush in. I stay out of the way – I’m in no hurry. It would’ve been fun to have spent some time as an attendee, as out of the corner of my eye I saw lots of cool things, but 100% of my time is dedicated to the job at hand. So, next place I go is where no one else goes: the panel room. Nothing is scheduled for another hour, but it’s guarded by several event staff.

A useful piece of advice I’ve gotten from my press and photographer friends over the years is this: “Act like you belong there.” Fortunately, I didn’t have to act, and my first real test of the legitimacy of my credentials and what I would soon discover the incredible good nature of the staff came into effect. I wanted to see the room and plan out how to set up. I told them who I was, who I was working for, and what I needed to do. They glanced at my pass and no hesitation. They unlocked the doors and let me in. I documented the room and forward that to Christian so he had an idea of the setup.

One of them was even nice enough to act as my stand-in while I tried to gauge my primary video angle.

Now with concrete knowledge of the where and how things would need to be having seen them in person, I made my way back downstairs to the floor, where something very impressive and unexpected was waiting.
3 x

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:10 pm

This sounds like this would be a fun job to do for some reason o-o

Wolf is intrigued...
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:12 am

Mr. Goodkat wrote:What kind of footage can we expect in the next few days/weeks in the newly created SWAT Kats channel on YouTube?

Off the top of my head, there's still the first panel from Friday night, but as everyone already saw that via periscope I think that'll be the last item I do. I have various snippets of Christian and Lance talking about some things that may be of interest, the two live episode commentaries, some interactions with fans (and one very good improvised interview with a fan that I thought was very interesting), over 1,200 photos to share, and I suppose this ongoing thread/written account (now with pictures and possible other media). My personal favorite so far is probably going to be Lance's commentary. He really enjoyed it and (spoilers) he wants to do more - so I'll be doing my best to make that happen somehow. But, that's in the future - still concentrating on this project :lol:

It's been a rough week - work has got me busy full time and my return to exercise has been very challenging (but that's to be expected after two weeks of not doing it). So, it's looking like the weekends are where most of my time is going to be spent on this.
3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:12 am

I make my way down to the main floor, and am surprised to see this:

Christian said there'd be a banner, but what he described didn't sound like this. This thing was huge, and propped up by a bunch of really cool looking metal rigging. The thing that's been bothering me now for two weeks is why didn't I move all of that equipment out of the way for at least one complete/clean image?

Anyway, this display is very eye-catching, and it's right near the entrance. Everyone coming and going sees this thing. Passers-by noticed me, and they have questions about SWAT Kats. I give out my prepared/token responses about the kickstarter campaign, the 140 thousand and change raised, online cult internet following, etc., and I take it as an opportunity to try to squeeze in a couple of fan interviews.

One in particular stands out from a Mr. Scott Mowry (who will return in the Friday night panel) who on the spot recited just about every detail about the show (he's in the opening scene of this video). I plan to have a whole 5 minute segment just for him eventually.

So, as I'm setup and doing interviews, behind me Christian and Yvon arrive. The massive display is obviously more impressive than they were expecting, much to their delight (Chrisitian's in particular). This is him just moments after seeing it for the first time:

And he can't wait to get his picture taken in front of it (carefully avoiding one my XLR cables on the ground):

And he pulls Yvon in, too.

Anyway, shake their hands, say hello, but it's pretty much business from the get go. I introduce them to their awaiting fans who've already started to gather...

...while they pass off Jason Williams, the assigned technician from Anime Matsuri, to me. Jason's under the impression that I'm the official Tremblay's assistant for the weekend... which I temporarily forgot that I am :lol:

But, I didn't blink an eye, and with no hesitation I tell him we need tables, some kind of barricade, and a visual display setup that can take misc. multimedia input - preferably from a laptop, and some chairs. I tell him how we need things setup to keep the backdrop in place, an area for three people to be in front of it, while still allowing an area for photos and posing in front of the display. I even have to correct the schedule for them and make sure they arrive at certain events on time because they were operating on an out of date time sheet. I started to absorb some of the responsibilities that the people actually assigned to Christian and Yvon have (not that they seemed to mind - I think the schedule correction came as a relief to them). Me doing this allowed Christian and Yvon to instantly spend time with fans instead of dealing with operational things. But, I wasn't so busy with Anime Matsuri staff that I forgot I still had a primary job to do, and I noticed something transpiring out of the corner of my eye and I grabbed my TASCAM that I'd equipped with a shotgun mic to capture the audio of Christian speaking with one fan in particular:

It's around 2:30 pm at this point, and I inform Christian that the opening ceremony is happening at 3:00 and we'll need to wrap things up on the floor. So, they finish up, give some last autographs and goodbyes and we head upstairs to the General Assembly room where Lance Falk awaits.
2 x

Return to “Kats Eye News”