SWAT Kats: Running Kat - A fan made game for web browsers

If your creative masterpiece doesn't fit in art or text... then place it here! (Music, custom helmets, cosplay)
Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

SWAT Kats: Running Kat - A fan made game for web browsers

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:18 am

Hello fellow citizens of Megakat City!

I'm very pleased to announce the release of SWAT Kats - Running Kat, a fan made game for HTML5-compatible browsers. It's an endless runner based on the graphics and music from the original SWAT Kats SNES game. Please note that this is NOT a remake, but rather a reinterpretation using some of the original game content while having its very own gameplay. Since it has been created to be played in web browsers you can play it on a lot of different devices (computers, tablets, smart phones and maybe even on some game consoles).
Please give it a try and try to get a top position in the highscore table.

screenshot-t-bone.jpg

screenshot-razor.jpg

I had to put quite some effort into this project (which is one reason why I've been rather absent in the forum in the last few weeks), so I really hope that the result of my work is fun to play and that you're having a good time when playing it. I also hope that it's a nice way to attract some additional attention to swatkats.info and to SWAT Kats in general.

I'd like to thank Jacob1290, Jayhan, Kanogetz, Krillos, LowdogCraft and NeeKnight for participating in the beta-test, helping me to make this game working solid and better balanced in the last two weeks.
And a very special thanks goes to Cait who discovered the most nastiest bugs and spent more time on testing than I probably could have asked for.
I also like to thank MoDaD for providing the sub-domain on swatkats.info and everything I've needed to get it working on that server.

Like for all my projects, feedback is very welcome. ;)

But enough of the talking! Here's the link: http://game.swatkats.info

screenshot-dark-kat.jpg

Have fun playing! :D
5 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Re: SWAT Kats: Running Kat - A fan made game for web browsers

Postby Cait » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 pm

I must warn one thing: it's very addictive! ᶘ OᴥO"ᶅ

Give it a try guys! Let's break the highscore table! :twisted:
1 x

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Postby Felix Kayne » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:34 pm

Fun little game. The little browser thing on my ipod was a little in the way. I tried to see if flipping it rightside up, then sideways, but it came back up.

Also, the x key doesn't work when I tried to enter my name for the highscore, and it wouldn't save my low score.

Edit: Oh, it saved that time... Well, got my score up.
Last edited by Felix Kayne on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:37 pm

I must mention tjat I am also playing this on my ipod touch.
0 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:33 pm

FelixKayne wrote:Fun little game. The little browser thing on my ipod was a little in the way. I tried to see if flipping it rightside up, then sideways, but it came back up.

Glad to hear that it's fun for you to play. :)
Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the issue you've mentioned above in a private message? I'm not sure what you mean by "little browser thing".

FelixKayne wrote:Also, the x key doesn't work when I tried to enter my name for the highscore, and it wouldn't save my low score.

I'm gonna try to reproduce the x-key-issue on my own iPod when I have some time for it. Thanks for letting me know.

Did you receive an error message when your score wasn't stored? If so the code numbers mentioned in the text are very important for me to know.
Or was your score simply too low (<1000 points)?
1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:15 pm

Sorry for the late reply. This is really incredible! And, your dedication to refining the gameplay the last few months has been exemplary. Is this the kind of thing you do for a living? A lot of the browser-based scripting and programming is really above my head; it's all very impressive.

Thanks for this really great fan project!
2 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:24 am

Thank you very much for your compliment, MoDaD. :D

And to answer your question: Yes, I've worked on a few (mostly smaller) games in the past which are probably unknown outside of Germany and probably most of them have been forgotten by now in general. I've started as a level and game designer. Later I've worked as a programmer at a browser-game company for five years. This company maintains some games that are based on classic HTML (developing Running Kat was therefore kind of a new experience for me now). Currently I'm not working at a games company anymore, but that may change again some day. ;)
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:35 pm

3 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:24 pm

That's a really neat trailer you've assembled there, MoDaD!
I really like how you integrated the video footage into that scene from Destructive Nature. :D

I've made a few adjustments to the game today. So here is the update log for everyone who wants to know about the changes:

Update Log - Build 20160813

Issue: It wasn't possible to enter names into the highscore table that include the letters w, x and also blanks (reported by FelixKayne).
Comment: These keys had been locked by the game controls as they are all used to let T-Bone jump and Razor ascent. I'm actually feeling a bit embarrassed that I didn't notice this one earlier and I'd like to apologize to all players having these letters in their names and thus couldn't store them correctly in the highscore table until now. This apology counts twice for the Clawson family.

Issue: The highscore wasn't stored in a special case when the connection between the server and the player's client couldn't be established (reported by FelixKayne).
Comment: This issue has been fixed now.

Issue: It was possible to perform a double jump with T-Bone on some very rare occasions (reported by Cait).
Comment: I've revised the code which is responsible for the jumping and ascending. I couldn't reproduce this anymore after I've made these changes. Hope that they fixed this issue.

Issue: When the player lost a life in one of the T-Bone levels it was possible to collide with collision boxes at outdated positions when the corresponding platforms were reactivated (reported by Mr. Goodkat).
Comment: I've added an additional check to determine if the collision box position is valid or not. This might also have been a cause for the double jump behavior in the previously mentioned issue.

Suggestion: Allow the player to use the fullscreen button while playing the game in the case that he/she has to switch to another tab while in the middle of playing (suggested by Cait).
Comment: Implemented.

Suggestion: Allow to pause the game using the keyboard since using the mouse in order to move the cursor over to the pause button can take too long (suggested by Volker).
Comment: The game can now also be (un-)paused by hitting P. The pause button additionally displays the letter P now in order to point this out.

@FelixKayne: I've added your name to the list of Beta-Testers in the game's credits subsequently as you've reported two serious bugs I've missed and the other testers didn't find. I've also "fixed" your name in the highscore table as a reward. Hope it's okay doing all of this without asking you upfront.

Let the games continue!
1 x

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:06 pm

Mr. Goodkat wrote:
@FelixKayne: I've added your name to the list of Beta-Testers in the game's credits subsequently as you've reported two serious bugs I've missed and the other testers didn't find. I've also "fixed" your name in the highscore table as a reward. Hope it's okay doing all of this without asking you upfront.

Let the games continue!

Oh wow. That's nice of you. I don't mind none of that one bit.
1 x

Return to “Other Creative Fanworks”