Work I normally do

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Jiesi
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Work I normally do

Postby Jiesi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 am

I decided to share work that I do on scratchboard. It's basically drawing with knives on a black board to get white underneath it. You can add color with ink and other water base paint. Drawing cartoons is new to me as well as drawing on the tablet. Since I've always drawn or painted realism these are some 5x7
Attachments
IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_5637.JPG
IMG_6066.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
6 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Re: Work I normally do

Postby MoDaD » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:33 am

That's really cool, and I'm assuming it's also really challenging to do. I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of room for mistakes with that kind of technique. Because the colors are inverted, does it require any sort of... for lack of a better term, reverse thinking? I.e. thinking about an image like a photo negative?
2 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:55 am

You got some mad skills on the scratch board. They all look so realistic. I’ve never used a scratch board and like MoDaD mentions... I could image it’s like working backwards, like having a negative. I think my fav is that one of the woods.

Have you ever thought about drawing a realistic Kat like version of T-bone or Razor in your style on a scratch board? I bet that would be interesting to see. :3
6 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:00 am

These are absolutely wonderful! That MUST be a difficult medium to work with. X_x I'd be too nervous of messing up. No undo button! And on that fixing a mistake might prove difficult than drawing on paper. I know you have talent, and seriously I want you to improve on any medium you try because... wow I'm just blown away by these. Also, I want to eat that pie. XD

Poecat wrote:Have you ever thought about drawing a realistic Kat like version of T-bone or Razor in your style on a scratch board? I bet that would be interesting to see. :3

Ooh I'd love to see that as well!
3 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 am

Negatives are what's black is white and what's white is black so when light hits the photo sensitive paper the black blocks the light leaving it white while the white on the negative lets in more light to make the image darker.
On scratchboard you work from light to dark instead of on white paper you go from light to dark. Or on mid tone paper you ad your high light and your shadow.
It's more forgiving then some people think but you still need to be careful. I draw in pencil or chalk fist then I do a layer ad a wash of ink and do anything layer of scratchboard. If a mistake is made just go over in black ink.
I did start drawing Felina on scratchboard but so far I don't know how I like it. But then again in the beginning it's always the ugly stage lol. There's also a pose that I saw of T-Bone and Razor sitting on the jet that I liked but I don't think I'll do it. Well see. There's so many other things that I never finished.
The good thing about working with kids is I know tricks to help teach my kids if I ever somehow have one. It's not always that bad it's kinda like a lottery but your stuck for the hole year if it's insane. And it's insane right now. But there's still things you can do it's just going to take time. By then I'll be completely grey lol
3 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:51 pm

I almost forgot I made this vid. my cousin suggested it but I don't have the right set up so its all over. I have the worst habits. https://www.facebook.com/MaJiesi/videos/706637059512/
I find the biggest challenge is not stabbing myself. lol I need adult supervision. I did get better somehow RazEmbarrassed
2 x

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 pm

I like your art work it's incredible Amazing
2 x

Swatkatfan21
Long-Term Resident

Postby Swatkatfan21 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:58 pm

This is one of the most incredible art forms I have ever seen! How did you ever discover how to do this? Art school perhaps? Each one is unbelievably good, but the pie has to be my favorite. You just can't go wrong with pie! BroFistIcon
0 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Thank you. I was aware of the cheap scratchboard kits that hat the print out images and eventually I found blank ones or scraper paper. But I got better and stumbled across the real artist grade ones when I was taking anthropology at the academy of art university. I know sounds weird getting better at art in a class that learns different cultures and how people identify with their backgrounds. But with term papers they had us relate what we're doing with our art form to one from another country. And I stumbled across the international society of scratchboard artist. They are truly amazing :o
1 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Now that I finally got the sky to a nicer green, instead of that ugly pea green that reminds me of my old kitchen growing up, lol I'm wondering if I should put in clouds. SighingChanceIcon I should of just started of with something small and simple but no I just get carried away with the first idea..... maybe I should watch Mutilor again for visuals and composition ideas
Attachments
IMG_7730.JPG
5 x

Return to “General Discussion”