Stuck On Writing

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
Cody Furlong
Resident
Flag: United States of America

Stuck On Writing

Postby Cody Furlong » Thu May 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Recently I have been trying to get back into writing fan-fiction for our favorite heroes. Though have come to a bit of an deciding point with it. Not for the lack of story ideas, as I have lots of them, but due to the fact that most, if not all of them are adult orientated. I find myself constantly debating on if I should keep the original concept, complete with cursing, gay parings, and everything else, or try to cut it down, and change it a up to make it more PG 13.
1 x
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Re: Stuck On Writing

Postby Cait » Thu May 18, 2017 3:01 pm

I should say, do what you feel more comfortable with. If that means including cursing and other adult features, go for it.

Anyway, you could try writing two versions of the story: censored and uncensored. You just need to see first if the censure needs parts of the story being cut or not. If the answer is not or you can do small changes without touching the main story to make it PG 13, then it's an option, but of course that will be more work for you. Just remember that if your are going to post content here, it must be underage.
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Thu May 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Cody Furlong wrote:...or try to cut it down, and change it a up to make it more PG 13.

I had that same conundrum a few years ago when I wrote a couple of stories. I wanted to explore more mature, character-driven topics and themes, and to realistically try to portray peril in a way that felt dangerous, while still not going too far for the audience.

For the sake of discussion, I'll go ahead and list my specific writing rules for the typo-laden Girls, Guns & Grit series. You'll have to decide your own rules for yourself :lol:

1. No profanity. I have the vocabulary of a sailor IRL, but I always find it distracting in SK fiction. Maybe a choice, low level swear once, but even then (in hindsight) I think I'd probably change it. I'll usually try to dance around that with a token "swore under her breath," or "made a profane response not suitable for children's' ears," description in lieu of actual dialog.

2. The repercussions/aftermath of violence without delving too deeply into the act of violence itself (i.e. violence has to serve a greater narrative purpose and not just to exist for its own sake). This was particularly difficult in Ten Twenty-Four, and in hindsight, I think I failed that rule a little bit :lol:

3. No "on-camera" nudity. References to this are vanilla and not very detailed, and like violence, have to serve a narrative purpose. No long paragraphs describing how certain parts of anatomy glisten with perspiration :lol:

4. The repercussions/aftermath of...intimate relations, and not a detailed, play-by-play description in real time. The audience can probably use their imagination on that one, much as many network shows will (or used to) fade to black/end scene. You know what really happened without having to see it 8-)

5. My most controversial rule: treat everyone as people in a real world. This was a stylistic choice, partly derived from artistic license and partly out of laziness as working in pronouns and world references had a tendency to derail a lot of pieces of dialog and descriptions, so I just decided not to even try. And, it didn't go unnoticed either, as the great Kristen Sharpe noted it in an early beta read:

[His hand] felt dry and coarse, like the hand of a mechanic.
"I realize that this story has pretty much ignored the fact that the cast are humanoid cats, but this part did make me wonder if that's something one would notice when touching a hand that's either furry or covered in some variation of a cat's rough paw pad."

Those were my general writing rules, all geared toward writing something that (hopefully) had a broader appeal while still adhering to a PG 13 or equivalent rating in terms of content, with hopefully enough subtext to allow readers to infer things they wanted to without being super explicit.

Whether or not they're good rules (and they probably aren't) is subjective. Some people write better with imposed limitations, as the freedom to do anything can oftentimes leave one overwhelmed by possibility and thus be creatively paralyzed.

A few token ones
  • Make an outline first
  • Have your ending always in mind
  • Know your audience, and write for that audience
  • Have fun - if you're not immersed in your world, story and characters, how can your readers be?
And, the most important rule of all: there aren't any rules, just guidelines and suggestions. Do what works for you (and by extension, your audience) and see where it takes you.

Cait wrote: Just remember that if your are going to post content here, it must be underage.

Well, yeah, there are rules here :lol:
2 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Writing mature situations doesn't mean it has to be explicit. It can go that way (in language and descriptions and whatnot) but it's not a guarantee it that will be.

When I write I treat the characters like they're adults and proceed from there. I don't think about the shows intended audience, I just write mostly about what I want to write about and what my fans/followers would enjoy.

Sometimes that means writing about mature situations. One plot I'm mulling now is how Feral is placed at an extreme low point and how he reacts to that. I can't candy coat what happening, as it would minimize what was going on. Nothing explicit happens, just a mature situation. But if you look at my previous razor and feline stories the maturity and explicitness goes hand in hand just because that's how I envision the characters in the situation I placed them in.

So I would do what Cait suggested: Write what you want to write then edit it to where you want to place it. Sometimes you can't edit without losing something but if a reader really wants the story as you intended it you can always post the original story (Unrsted version!) in a place that accepts it so they can read it themselves.
2 x

NightSlayer2
Just Moved In
Flag: Canada

Postby NightSlayer2 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Cody, my best advice to you is to do whatever you see fit. I also wonder if you're aloud to post stories with gay pairing and a lot of violence in this forum as well. I honestly have no idea.
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Mon May 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Felony probably has a better rundown on that. To my knowledge, it's less about pairings and more about depictions and subject matter (the kind of things that would also not be allowed for stories with hetero relationships, either). The site admins would need to verify that.

When in doubt, you can always PM her ;)
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Tue May 23, 2017 7:08 am

NightSlayer2 wrote:I also wonder if you're aloud to post stories with gay pairing and a lot of violence in this forum as well. I honestly have no idea.

No idea?

"1. This board has a PG rating. Posts should not contain material that would be considered inappropriate for this rating. Profanity, heavy violent and sexually explicit materials are not allowed."

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3

Also in the Fan Fic Forum itself...

"• RATED PG - Nothing should go over the PG rating on this forum."

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=267
1 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Return to “Fanfics”