Question for the artistically inclined

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Question for the artistically inclined

Postby Mikazo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 pm

I've given some thought to learning to draw. Whether I invest the amount of time needed to become reasonably competent remains to be seen, but as for now it's probably important to find a starting point.

I was able to sketch this outline of Razor by eyeballing (not tracing!) this image. In your opinion, is eyeballing pictures like this actually a good way to learn, or is it better to start some other way, i.e. by learning certain foundations and things like that?

My concern is that by only going off of existing pictures, they could become a crutch and it would be hard to put things together on your own. Or does it really ultimately matter?

Thanks for any tips!

2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Re: Question for the artistically inclined

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 pm

I think it, yes, a good way to learn. Gradually, you'll develop your own style.
3 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 pm

ALL ARTISTS, even the most professional ones, use pictures for reference when they draw or paint. That's how you get the lines right, the colors and shapes right. Artists can't just look at something and have every little tiny detail of it memorized at a glance. (Maybe there's one or two super human people out there than can do that, but not everyone.)

The very beginner will attempt to copy exactly what they see, say this screen shot of Razor. And after you've practiced a little and you are familiar with his character design. Then, the next step would be, while you can still have pictures for reference so you can remember what his design looks like, to draw Razor in an entirely different pose than what you see in your references.

As someone who is self taught, go with whatever works for you. There are no rules to learning how to draw and we all process information differently. But don't feel you are not allowed to use references to practice. All artists do it. Go and draw! :)
5 x

Echo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Echo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 pm

I've been eyeballing with all my pictures, I'm one of those sticklers who want it to be perfect. But I learned to like my style, I am still learning.
3 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Echo wrote:I am still learning.

An artist never stops learning in fact TboneLaughCait

You should go for whatever works for you. As Ty-chou said, eyeballing is done by every artist. To prove it, you will eventually see that some things you see on your daily life will give you an idea for a drawing, and you will copy it to a paper adding your own details (most of my drawings lately are like that). It may not be eyeballing, but still it is using something that already exist and copying it literaly the same.

What I mean is: you are now using pics and "redrawing" them, but when you are confident about yourself, you will start making changes to those refs, using them less and less, and creating your own style on the way.

EDIT: forgot to say... nice drawing!
2 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:05 am

Thanks for the responses everyone!
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:14 am

So I attempted another one. This time I tried giving him more human-like proportions and accentuating the fur (though I may have overdone it). For the head I used a reference picture from the show but I can't find it now.

This may have been a little too ambitious for a beginner.

1 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:36 am

It is not bad :3 if it was me, i would draw the fur with shorter lines, that way it won't seem "overdone". The long lines are fine for the tail and cheeks, as they have longer fur.

And yeah, i was also ambitious at my start (i still am TboneLaughCait )
1 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:59 pm

Cait wrote:It is not bad :3 if it was me, i would draw the fur with shorter lines, that way it won't seem "overdone". The long lines are fine for the tail and cheeks, as they have longer fur.

And yeah, i was also ambitious at my start (i still am TboneLaughCait )

Yeah I think you're right. I decided to remove most of that and ink the drawing. He looks a little less like a neanderthal now.

Probably would be better to share this stuff once I've actually gained some proficiency at it instead. :lol:

1 x

Return to “General Discussion”