How & When Did You First See The Show?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
marhawkman
Resident
United States of America

Re: How & When Did You First See The Show?

Post by marhawkman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:18 pm

sometime in the 90s, it was on as part of Saturday morning cartoons and I loved it!
3 x

MSTRazorFan89
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by MSTRazorFan89 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:39 pm

I first seen this show airing on Cartoon Network during my child hood. I kept thinking on and off about how awesome that show actually was. Even now I'm still very impressed by how great this show kept up for modern times.
2 x

ulyferal
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by ulyferal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:40 am

It's hard to think that far back but I believe I saw the program when it first came out in 1993. This was just two years after I had retired from USAF after 20 years and had settled in the Pacific Northwest. By that time I had two children and was pregnant with my third and last child at age 40.

I was a big cartoon watcher from childhood until the year 2000. The cartoons after that were just so much junk that I stopped watching cartoons altogether. I turned to caring for my kids and was running my own cat grooming business. It wasn't until 2006 when SWAT Kats returned to my mind. Up to that time, I had been doodling story ideas in notebooks. It wasn't until one of my kid's friends suggested I actually commit to writing stories and posting them on line that I got fired up and did so for the next few years. SWAT Kats became my outlet from the day to day grind of child rearing and running a business.

I love them to this day even though I have stopped writing. I have a cool SK poster hanging on the wall above my computer and figurines (T-Bone and Razor produced when the show came out, a clay bust of Feral and clay model of the Turbokat made by my talented son for me) sitting on the computer desk ledge and my binder copies of the stories I have written in bookcases nearby plus my new SWAT Kat coin I won just recently. All visible reminders of how much I love this show.

Looking towards the future of SK, I can't wait to see them on the TV again which is why I got actively involved once more by donating to the kickstarter campaign and the push to find a sponsor. It's great to see such a wonderful cartoon get a second chance at life. TurboKatBounce
5 x

Cody Furlong
Resident
United States of America

Post by Cody Furlong » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:05 pm

I first saw the show way back in the early-mid 90's, I was still just a teen then. I had just finished playing a video game, and turned on Cartoon Network to watch some other show, Reboot I think it was. but was a bit early, and cought part of the Caverns Of Horror episode of SWAT Kats. It was just the ending of it, but I got to see the Turbokat and the Turbomole, and I was hooked from then on.
3 x
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:40 am

I was there from the beginning. I'm old.

In 1993, I was sampling every cartoon that hit the airwaves. I remember the two shows I was really looking forward to that fall were Exo Squad and Biker Mice from Mars (both of which I still like). And one Sunday morning in September, I decided I might as well check out the new premieres from The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera, two series I knew nothing about since they'd been given no advance publicity I was aware of: 2 Stupid Dogs and SWAT Kats.

Obviously, I was very impressed by SWAT Kats, even though "The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice" isn't a perfect introductory episode. Here at last was an furry action/adventure series that took itself seriously, instead of trying to emulate TMNT's parodic tone. It had intriguing characters, above average animation, and a rockin' soundtrack--it was cool in a way that few cartoons were in those days. You could tell the creators were enjoying themselves, not just cashing a paycheck. And there were no human characters! The more I watched, the more interested I became, until I finally wrote that Animato! article. And more than two decades later, I'm still a part of the fandom.

Trivia: In the Cleveland/Akron area, the station that ran SWAT Kats was WBNX Channel 55, which was owned by fundamentalist preacher Ernest Angley. Back then, the station was unusually restrictive about what it allowed on the air (for example, it bleeped minor swear words like "damn" and "hell" out of cop show reruns), and cartoons were no exception. WBNX broadcast "The Pastmaster Only Rings Twice" only once, then replaced it when it was rerun, probably because they objected to the scene with the zombies. (They apparently tolerated the series' other supernatural elements, because they ran all the other episodes; indeed, the episode that replaced "Pastmaster" was "Enter the Madkat"!) Today, WBNX is still owned by Angley's company and runs his show, but otherwise it's just another CW affiliate that has no problem with series like Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries. How times change...
4 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Casandro
Fandom Veteran
Germany

Post by Casandro » Thu May 11, 2017 3:40 pm

It must have been on the afternoon of the first airing in Europe. There's been some marketing for it before on Cartoon Network Europe, so I set up my trusty little Grundig 2x4 Super from 1982 or so to record it while I was going to school. That tape still must be at my parents.
2 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Felony » Thu May 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Can't believe I haven't posted to this one yet. I like how the series has both old and new fans alike, proving it still holds up.

I first saw SWAT Kats on its premiere airing on TBS in '93. I saw an ad for it and 2 Stupid Dogs on TBS, might've been during WCW which I watched regularly, and was interested. Even though I was 15, I still got up early to watch cartoons and watched it and 2 Stupid Dogs. I liked both but preferred SWAT Kats by far. Cats, jets, action, humor, rock music... I was into it immediately! I recorded them but ugh my older brother had a bad habit of taking my 'toon VHS tapes when he ran out of his own to record him and his doofy friends backyard wrestling so my SK tape fell victim to that. -_-;

I didn't get to see season 2 until years later in '98. SWAT Kats was moved to Cartoon Network and when it was included in our cable service, it was a premium channel which my mom wouldn't pay for. In '98, our cable company had CN become a regular channel so I was finally able to watch it without going to a friend's (loved Space Ghost Coast to Coast). They had Superchunk Saturdays and I saw SK and was like "wait, there was another season?!" My love for the series was renewed. With internet access at University and soon at home (I had to pay for it lol), I was able to learn more about it (via Strike's SK Zone) and was happy to find fellow fans. Eventually through Superchunks and re-airing it, I got to see the entire series. Well all save SK IQ which at that time was debated on if it existed and those who said it did said it wasn't worth watching >_>
4 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony

GeminiGenie
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by GeminiGenie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:06 pm

I saw the show probably when I was 8 or 9 years old, so like 1998 or 1999. I don't remember really thinking much of it at first. I liked the theme song and would always sit and watch it all the way through whenever it came on, then turn to something else. Probably Rugrats or Rocko's Modern Life. Fast forward one or two years later I decided to sit and watch a full episode rather than just watching the theme and turning and I was hooked after that. It came on less and less as time went by, popping up every now and again on Toonami's Midnight Run. I checked the TV Guide sporadically for years to see if it was back on or if, at the very least it would show up on Toonami again. For a while I forgot about it and moved on to other things until, one day, when I was around 20 or so, at like 4AM on a Saturday I was flipping channels and found it on Boomerang.

I was overjoyed to see it again after so long and set about trying to find the Swat Kat's online community so I would have someone to share my joy with. What I found, unfortunately, was that I was several years too late, and all that was left--or rather all I could find--was a small group of very dedicated role players on MIRC.

That was super long winded ya'll...sorry. XD
2 x

LadyStormcrow
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by LadyStormcrow » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:39 pm

I first saw the show on Cartoon Network in 1995, when I was about 8-9. I was changing the channel, and came across bits and pieces of "Katastrophe"; I remember it was the opening fight with Viper and the creeplings that made me stop and pay attention ("Kitties! Reptiles! Bat-things! All stuff my weird young self likes!").

The first episode I actually watched all the way through was "The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice"; I'm happy to hear that was other people's first episode too! In addition to kitties, reptiles, and bats, my weird young self also liked history and magic, so I was pretty much hooked from then on. I'd hurry home from school every day to watch the show (and I drove my mom crazy babbling about it).

When I was 10, we moved to a place that didn't have cable for a couple of years, so I lost touch with the show, and didn't rediscover it until I was about 15 and had Internet for the first time. I hadn't even been aware that the show was cancelled after "Unlikely Alloys", so that was pretty disappointing. It was great being able to finally talk about the show with other people, though, since none of my childhood friends had been into it. (I also want to give a big thank-you here to Kooshmeister, who actually went to the trouble of lending me his own VHS copies so I could make my own. That meant a lot!)
5 x
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead shall party on the Internet.

VulpineAxiom
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by VulpineAxiom » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 pm

I first saw SK when I was like 4 but then totally forgot about it until I was 14 when it went into Boomerang reruns. I pretty much glued myself to the TV when it came on and even tried to schedule my day around it. Naturally Ted Turner killed it RazorAnnoyedCait TboneSwearCait but at least it's got a chance now to come back TurboKatBounce
6 x
~Axiom RazConfused