POLL: What's your favorite episode of SWAT Kats?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.

What's your favorite episode of SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron?

The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice
No votes
The Giant Bacteria
No votes
The Wrath of Dark Kat
3%
Destructive Nature
No votes
The Metallikats
5%
Bride of the Pastmaster
No votes
Night of the Dark Kat
3%
Chaos in Crystal
No votes
The Ghost Pilot
3%
Metal Urgency
8%
The Ci-Kat-A
No votes
Enter the Madkat
5%
Katastrophe
5%
Mutation City
18%
A Bright and Shiny Future
No votes
When Strikes Mutilor
No votes
Razor's Edge
10%
Cry Turmoil
10%
SWAT Kats Unplugged
No votes
The Deadly Pyramid
5%
Caverns of Horror
5%
Volcanus Erupts!
No votes
The Origin of Dr. Viper
8%
The Dark Side of the SWAT Kats
5%
Unlikely Alloys
8%
The SWAT Kats: A Special Report
No votes

Total votes: 39

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

POLL: What's your favorite episode of SWAT Kats?

Post by thelastmemory » Wed May 21, 2014 12:55 pm

I know that's probably a tough question. :lol:

For me, its either "When Strikes Mutilor" or "Razor's Edge". I also really liked "Cry Turmoil." I just thought that all three of those had the best animation and really great action. Turmoil and Edge had some interesting character development as well.
Last edited by MoDaD on Thu May 22, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added poll and made sticky
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: What's your favorite episode of SWAT Kats?

Post by MoDaD » Thu May 22, 2014 12:44 am

My favorite used to be When Strikes Mutilor because it it was a pretty cool, high stakes episode with lots of close calls and an entertaining and threatening antagonist. The Enforcers get to look their best in this episode, and the SWAT Kats really show their ingenuity by having to push their technology to new limits (the debut of the Speed of Heat Mode is still cool, if over the top. Reminds me of Kitt's Super Pursuit Mode from Knight Rider).

The notion that the fate of the whole planet is at risk also adds to the drama. I think the finale of this episode is a top contender for closest call alongside Zed's/Lieter Greenbox's near destruction of Megakat City with the Mega Beam in Unlikely Alloys.

Admittedly, after many years, I've come to focus on its weaker attributes, like how the sequence with the Thunder Truck, while neat, was kind of pointless and tactically unsound. Also, despite the Enforcers looking their best, they seem to give up too easily in the beginning, which is a bit of an annoyance. To me it seemed like the writers were artificially generating a need for the SWAT Kats (which they're guilty of in several other episodes). And I intentional meant the plural there, as this episode was heavily revised from Falk's original, which if it had been left intact would've been a really cool way to end things.

My favorite episode would have to be Metal Urgency. The Metallikats are at their most entertaining, the SWAT Kats are caught off guard and have to defend their home from intruders, their identities are at risk, we get a sneak peak at Chance and Jake's daily life in context with Burke and Murray (frustrating in a good way), Hard Drive gets his five minutes, there's clear continuity of technology (the Scrambler Missile is once again used to disable a force field), it's a strong contender for best animated episode of season 1 (everything looks really good and fluid), and of course there's the subplot with Commander Feral (which is probably the strongest storyline we see in the whole show). It might just be my imagination, but I also though the music sounded better, too.

And, it has my favorite quotes from the series in it:
Mac: Wow Molly. Feral hates the SWAT Kats even more than we do.
Molly: Why shouldn’t he, Mac? Those fighter jocks make him look stupid at least once a week.
Really, all the character's exchanges in this are great:
(Metallikats observing from behind a pile of scrap)
Mac: Dueling low-lifes.
Molly: C’mon, let’s get our wheels and blow up this dump. It’ll be a public service.
And Jake's pragmatism:
Chance: Crud! They know who we really are!
Jake: Hey it won’t matter if we’re really dead!
Then there's all the stuff with Commander Feral, but I'll stop now, because I get the feeling there's someone else here who can elaborate on that.
0 x

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: POLL: What's your favorite episode of SWAT Kats?

Post by thelastmemory » Fri May 23, 2014 11:24 am

Yeah, the thunder truck segment in Mutilor always felt like filler to me, nicely animated filler, but still filler.
Metal Urgency was pretty aweome. Its probably my favorite episode of the first season after Katastrophe. The metalikats have some of the best lines in the whole show.
0 x

NeeKnight
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Great Britain

Post by NeeKnight » Fri May 23, 2014 6:41 pm

I had to give it to Enter The MadKat as I adore the concept basically. While I think from all around stand point it is no where as great as certain others episodes, this is a poll on favourite episodes so I have to be honest.

If this were a poll for best episode, I would give it to Razor's Edge in a heartbeat. The way they address the often overlooked collateral damage that can occure during these adventures is very well done as is the reveal of what really is going down showing the one behind the event is willing to play mind games on our heros. Please note: I know all of you have seen this episode but I wanna make sure I don't spoil what is the best episode to any new to the show ^^ Because it is a beauty to behold.

But as for my favourite, I like the chaotic element that MadKat provides to the story of the SWAT Kats. It had a lot of potential and put the kats against someone who had the most power of any of the shows villians, someone who had control over matter itself allowing for very creative visuals that the show could not otherwise present outside a scaredy cat's cartoon. X3
Some might see MadKat as a Joker clone from Batman, however I saw him more in line of a "The Mask" kinda character from the comic series "The Mask" mixed in with a bit the Venom Symbiote from the Spider-Man line. He is a revenge fantasy that Ringtail was given access to and we've all had one of those times where we've wanted to get even with someone we feel has wronged us (just not to the level Ringtail wants to take things) but it gets more complex than that as the MadKat starts to take over and gets it's own revenge on the King, Queen and Knight. And I woulda loved to have seen this character come back and maybe get himself another "host" to turn the crank... But that's also cause it's the premise behind a Fan Character I made XD
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination
United States of America

Post by LowdogCraft » Sat May 31, 2014 10:15 am

I think my favorite is The Dark Side of the SWAT Kats, for multiple reasons. First, the title makes me think of Star Wars, which is always a plus. Second, it introduced the dimensional radar, which I think was only in this episode. Third, the dimension travel concept, well not original, did have an original way of sending the SWAT Kats into the reversed and dark dimension. It reminds me of the Star Trek episode Mirror, Mirror. Fourth, the hilarious banter between the evil SWAT Kats. Here's some of my favorite quotes.
*Evil Turbokat hits hangar wall*
Evil Razor: Your flying stinks, T-bone!
Evil T-Bone: Ah, go choke on a furball! You think you could fly any better?
Evil Razor: *sarcastically* Nice flying.
Evil T-Bone: Shut up!
Evil T-Bone: Next time, try shooting with your eyes open!
It cracks me up every time I hear it. The normal SWAT Kats are best buds, yet the evil SWAT Kats hate each other as much as the normal SWAT Kats hate Dark Kat! Fifth, the humor at the beginning. The SWAT Kats are playing around with the dimensional radar, and see Feral, and they are commenting about why Feral is out in the storm. Here's how it went out.
T-Bone: Hey Commander, what are you doing out in this storm? Looking for a doughnut shop?
Feral: What the...
*T-Bone and Razor laugh*
Razor: Did you forget to shave this morning, Commander?
*Feral strokes chin, then pounds on the chopper dashboard*
Feral: I don't know how you can see me, but get off my frequency, you clowns!
*Turbokat flies by Feral's Chopper*
Feral: Ooooh, you hotshot jerks! one of these days I'll---
Razor: Wow, what a grouch.
T-Bone: Why don't you get yourself a nice prune doughnut.
Razor: Yeah, that oughta relax ya!
I think this episode is one of the funniest, and the ending shows how T-Bone won't give up until the situation is too hard to resist. That is why this episode is my favorite.
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Writer, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
also i'm bi
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."
Icon by @menacing-marshmallow on Tumblr

Leon Mane
Resident
United States of America

Post by Leon Mane » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 am

That's my favorite episode as well, mostly for the concept, but also for how it shows just how tough the good Turbokat is to disable, let alone get rid of, coming back from being underwater thanks to the Speed of Heat thrusters, not that being underwater would shut down the normal engines for too long (Which shows that they went all out into designing and building the engines).

And you forgot something, they were right at the end, when they returned and Feral was eating a donut with some coffee in his chopper, and they flew by and made him spill fresh and very hot coffee on his leg. I just love a good brick joke.
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination
United States of America

Post by LowdogCraft » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:56 pm

Ah yes, Leon. Thanks for reminding me. That was another thing I thought was funny. Episode 22 is my favorite and probably most watched. The humor, the concept and the action as always brings it together as my favorite SK episode.
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Writer, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
also i'm bi
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."
Icon by @menacing-marshmallow on Tumblr

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:00 am

Leon Mane wrote:... and they flew by and made him spill fresh and very hot coffee on his leg. I just love a good brick joke.

If you look closely the humor isn't lost on the chopper's pilot, either.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 am

The Origin of Dr. Viper, simply to give it some love and because I love its portrayal of Dr. Zyme, particularly in regards to seeing season two's take on his very early season one character design (he kinda stands out).

It's also a nice twist to reveal that before he got mutated, Viper was kind of a dullard. He wasn't a very good scientist (the Viper Mutagen wasn't even his idea!), and was nothing but a sneaky cowardly thief. Quite different from the megalomaniacal genius with grand aspirations he'd later become. One could argue dying and returning as an undead mutant abomination actually improved his intellect and ambition.

My one problem with it is that it feels too much like a season two episode, and not like it's actually set before season one. Even Zyme's mostly out of place appearance can't change this.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

T-Bone
Resident
Russia

Post by T-Bone » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:35 pm

My favorite episode is Caverns of Horror. I like stories about the mutants.
0 x
SK fan since 1998.

SwatKats forever!

Razor:Hey,don’t sweat it, I’ll teach you how to swim.
T-Bone:Fish swim,I fly.