Podcast Development

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: Podcast Development

Post by marklungo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Just discovered this thread, which is why my reply is so late.

1. So the podcast is up! Yay! I haven't listened to it yet, but I will soon.

2. Thanks for the kind words, Lowdog and Koosh! I'm glad you haven't gotten tired of my ramblings yet. Madkatlaughing For that matter, several of us here at the forum would make good guests, considering all the creativity and energy we've put into the SWAT Kats fandom.

3. Two SWAT Kats crew members I'd really like to hear on the podcast who haven't been named yet: Davis Doi and Robert Alvarez. As the series' producer and director, they were two of the most important members of the creative team, and their insights would be invaluable.
2 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Poecat
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Poecat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:35 am

This is awesome guys! I just got finished listening to the SWAT Kast. LOVE IT! I think its great :3 I can't wait to hear more. RazorLoveCait
4 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 pm

I listened to the podcast and I liked it! I also have a couple of suggestions which I hope you'll find useful.

1. There's one bit of repetition in the show that happens a few times that I would try to cut down on. To wit:

PODCAST HOST: And then Feral says X.

CLIP FROM SHOW: (Feral says X)

So the audience winds up hearing the same phrase twice in a row several times. I personally would vary the wording to handle it more like this:

PODCAST HOST: And then Feral comments on the situation.

CLIP FROM SHOW: (Feral says X)

2. Since SWAT Kats was so short-lived TboneSwearCait , the podcast won't last long if it concentrates solely on episode reviews. Maybe there could be fanfic reviews as well?
Last edited by marklungo on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:28 am

marklungo wrote:...the podcast won't last long if it concentrates solely on episode reviews.
I'm flattered that you think we'll make it all the way through Madkatlaughing

At the current schedule, it's probably going to be 1.25 years by the time you hear an episode about Unlikely Alloys. RazHoping

But, maybe that will streamline a little bit. We'll see.
marklungo wrote:1. There's one bit of repetition in the show
That would be me. And yeah, there's repetition. So much so that I edited about 90 minutes completely out, though there were a few places I should've ADR'd myself back in. There's a trashcan full of a hundred "um" "so" and "apparently" somewhere, yet they still creep in at points TboneLaughCait

I'd like to focus on fan works, too, but I'd like to get this format nailed down a little bit more. We'll be recording again tomorrow, concerning The Giant Bacteria. Is that D+ still applicable? BacteriaDivide
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:43 pm

MoDaD wrote:
marklungo wrote:...the podcast won't last long if it concentrates solely on episode reviews.
I'm flattered that you think we'll make it all the way through Madkatlaughing

At the current schedule, it's probably going to be 1.25 years by the time you hear an episode about Unlikely Alloys. RazHoping

But, maybe that will streamline a little bit. We'll see.
Maybe I'm overstimating you. RazLaugh But seriously, the podcast not only has a lot of potential, but it fills a void in the SWAT Kats fandom. I really hope you and your friends can keep it going.
MoDaD wrote:We'll be recording again tomorrow, concerning The Giant Bacteria. Is that D+ still applicable? BacteriaDivide
On reflection, I might upgrade it slightly to a C- since this was the first episode made and everyone was still figuring things out, and it does have some good moments. However, I still have some big problems with TGB, particularly the subway sequence. It's bad enough that it happened, but the way it's treated is even worse. Here's a scene where dozens of civilians are unambiguously killed, and it's almost immediately forgotten as the story moves on to the next cheap thrill. It shouldn't be that way! When someone dies, it should matter--even in fiction, even if it's just an extra (or a whole bunch of them). If Viper's monster killed that many people at once, there should have been major consequences for him and for Megakat City until he was finally dealt with. I hope your podcast will deal with that. (BTW, compare and contrast this story with a real life commuter train shooting that happened just a few months after it was first broadcast.) And thank you for giving me cause to write this rant, which I've been meaning to do ever since I first came here.

P.S. At least "The Giant Bacteria" isn't as bad as G.I. Joe: Resolute, the adult-oriented version of the cartoon from 2009. There, Cobra Commander actually nukes Moscow, killing 10 million people, but it's given no more emotional weight than the latest fight between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. Sigh... My point is that if you absolutely have to write a story with a mass killing, at least have the decency to fully deal with the consequences.
2 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Ty-Chou » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:24 am

Hello! I actually ended up with a little free time tonight so I though I'd try to listen to at least part of it. I do have some critiques that I hope will be helpful as you work to find your stride with this series. I am going to be very honest with what I thought. At this stage, with only one episode out, I hope honest thoughts on how the show can improve would be useful. Please note that these critiques come from a place of love and also an excitement for this project. I want it to be fantastic and to really succeed. Perhaps even be something that brings more people back to the fandom. But at the same time, I am only one person and it's possible my opinions don't match that of the majority. So take my thoughts as they are and do what you want with them.

So, my first thoughts:

I really liked the opening. MoDaD has an excellent podcast voice. I thought the spiels at both the beginning and the end sounded fantastic and very professional. All the sound quality and technical aspects from MoDaD's end sounds great. All the little extra sound effects and cuts from the show sounded great, too. It really seems you have the technical side of the podcast down pat. Unfortunately, Sage and NeeKnight were not quite as clear. I'm assuming because of Skype? But you work with what you've got, right? That I certainly don't take any points away. I could still understand them well enough.

Now, here are my two main critiques of the first episode:

1. The podcast covered every. Single. Second of the episode. This might just be me that has a problem with this. It sounds like other people enjoyed it. But as the podcast began, I thought to myself "Oh no, they're not really going through the whole entire episode moment by moment, are they?" When it became obvious you were, I will be honest, I skipped ahead to the end. I have already seen the episode numerous times in my life. I don't want to go through it moment by moment. What I really wanted to hear was maybe a group discussion of the episode as a whole, at least at the end. But that didn't really happen. Once you reached the end of the episode, it just kind of stopped.

2. This episode was really low energy. I know you guys are just starting out and probably getting used to talking to each other through the equipment. You haven't developed your natural rhythm with each other yet and it's a talent that will come with time and practice. But this episode really dragged. Come on, you guys get to talk about SWAT Kats! I am super jealous! This sounds like so much fun! I thought I would be hearing more excitement. And maybe I did miss more high energy moments in the middle. But you guys have to remember, we don't even have anything to look at with a pod cast, all we have is your voices. You want to keep your voices a little higher energy. Perhaps even just take some time for the three of you to banter with each other without recording. Get comfortable with each other, get comfortable using the equipment. It IS more difficult with 3 people than 2 when you're trying to run a discussion. But I really think the podcast would benefit if the structure was a little more loose, allowing for more banter and open discussion between the three of you.

And that's it. I think this was still a great test run. Testing both the equipment and how you three interact with each other. I will say, in the future, I will be less interested in episodes like this one, that cover an entire episode scene by scene, and more interested in an episode literally about anything else. (Though I will probably listen to the whole ep about The Giant Bacteria because it's THAT episode. But not for every single episode covered.) I know doing a podcast about this show only will be a challenge to keep episodes fresh, but there is still a lot that can be covered. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a whole pile of episode ideas. So I hope covering episodes isn't the only thing planned for this amazing podcast.

Once again, everything posted here is just my opinion and the suggestions are shared in hopes they are helpful in making the podcast better. I want to send you all well wishes and I will be looking out for more episodes. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Good luck!
3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:08 am

First and foremost, thank you for the constructive criticism. It means a lot coming from you. I've carefully read your response, and I would like to start incorporating your suggestions by the third episode (second one is in post production).
Ty-Chou wrote:I really liked the opening. MoDaD has an excellent podcast voice.
I've been told I have a face for radio, and a voice that is better seen and not heard.
Ty-Chou wrote:Unfortunately, Sage and NeeKnight were not quite as clear.
That's obviously because I'm a narcissist who wants to sound better than everyone else TboneLaughCait But in all seriousness, yes, that annoyed me in editing, and I'm fairly certain it's been corrected on the last go-around.
Ty-Chou wrote:1. The podcast covered every. Single. Second of the episode.
It's amusing to me that you mention this, because I've had other people (who shall remain anonymous) who've told me they've had the exact opposite position. That NOT every single second is covered, and that things have been skipped or glossed over. But, I understand your concern.

To those who are into podcasts, you can probably guess which ones "inspire" at best, and are "ripped off" at worst when it comes to the format. Point-by-point commentary where people crack wise and offer some insights. But, things are still new. I'm sure that by the time we're done with Unlikely Alloys we'll have this thing nailed down.
Ty-Chou wrote:This episode was really low energy.

Now I know how Jeb! feels. I'll try not to take any Xanax before recording next time TboneLaughCait
Ty-Chou wrote:Perhaps even be something that brings more people back to the fandom.
That would be neat. But, maybe our little SWAT Kast will so infuriate potential listeners that it will inspire super talented people to make their own SWAT Kats podcast out of spite, just to prove they can do it better. Then, I can listen to it and enjoy it, and everyone wins. Madkatlaughing

To answer your bigger question, which I've surmised as "will you keep doing what you're doing or are you going to change?"

Yes. That's the goal. Talking about episodes point-by-point in a (hopefully) humorous way is a start, and that's carried through into The Giant Bacteria recording a bit (I'm still in the process of editing), but there's still room for growth. This is still in the midst of identifying "our audience," which I'm no doubt identifying too narrowly based on decades of cloistered interaction with only a dozen or so fans regularly, when there are in fact many more than that.
Ty-Chou wrote:Just off the top of my head, I can think of a whole pile of episode ideas.
Now you're just teasing. Please, dump that wheelbarrow of thoughts here.
4 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm agree with Ty-Chou in the aspect of the quality of Nee and Sage' voice. The most common issue is always the microphone used, that has noise and don't get the voice right. Then is the program used for the call (recording programs aren't usually involved in this, as it will always be a configuration problem). If you're using skype... I suggest you to stop right now. Skype is awful in every aspect: calls sometimes are laggy, there are random network problems, has a lot of problems after every update and sometimes, calls don't work at all. In my case, I use Discord. It's a lot better, consumes A LOT less RAM (you can even use it online, but I suggest downloading it since you won't need your navegator open all the time and wasting RAM on it's own and sometimes can give problems trying to recognise the microphone), configuration is very simple and doesn't have any problems at all. And the best part is that you don't need to be calling, you just create your voice channel and join it with a click. If you don't know how to use it at all but want to give it a try, just tell me, I can teach you or even set a channel for you (I'm already admin of a channel).

And... I'll join the "not every single second is covered" club XD TboneLaughCait Practicaly, all important scenes were covered, but there are still some that has potential for good comments or discussions, YOU MISSED THE INTRO! (joke RazSilly )
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Cait wrote:Skype is awful in every aspect: calls sometimes are laggy, there are random network problems, has a lot of problems after every update and sometimes, calls don't work at all.
Was using Skype as a backup and for sync purposes. Nee and I recorded our own tracks independently, but Sage didn't have that option at the time, so had to use the Skype audio for her portions. I've since sent her one of my digital recorders with a condenser mic. As for why Nee's didn't sound on par, well, that's my fault for over-correcting the noise reduction, which became very apparent once amplified/normalized to the other tracks (something I did after 75% of the edits - not doing it that way again). Hopefully you can hear an improvement in the YouTube preview: https://youtu.be/xN1nr-n2EZQ

Anyway, thank you for recommending Discord. I'll be trying that out over the weekend.
2 x

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Prettyshadowj26 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm sure Hope the Tremblay Bros. Will Love this Podcast :D :D
2 x