SWAT Kats Variety Ad

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Re: SWAT Kats Variety Ad

Post by Cait » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:25 am

MoDaD wrote:I might run it through an OCR to extract the text from the image tomorrow (unless someone beats me to it). But, here's a larger resolution version that's readable in the meantime:

variety-larger.jpg

I don't think there's anything SWAT Kats related.
Thanks again! Nope, there is nothing Swat Kats related. Almost all is about Disney, with some mentions to Nickelodeon and others companies about their recent releases back then and how popular their films and music were to the point of continue doing more.

Also, fun fact: at that time, they were producing Toy Story, apparently called "Toy Store" back then (if it's not a typo) :lol:
0 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:51 pm

MoDaD wrote:Commonly known for several decades now as the "poster," this has been sitting in a tube on my office desk (along with other unopened stuff) for months now. For many of us it's been a bit of a mystery as to what this was, so hopefully we have some new details:

poster-002.jpg

poster-003.jpg

poster-004.jpg

This was from the Thursday, September 22, 1994 edition of Daily Variety, a trade publication magazine. It's one side of a spread, with an ad for Fox Kids Club adjacent, and articles on the reverse side.

Now, before anyone asks, this is already destined for Kristen Sharpe's personal collection of SWAT Kats stuff, as she's the closest equivalent we have to a museum curator :lol: And, it'll just get lost and inadvertently destroyed if it stays in my possession.
How did I miss this!? Looks like I'll be firing up GIMP to try to spruce up that poster a bit. RazDetermined
0 x

Swatkatfan21
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Swatkatfan21 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:08 am

MoDaD wrote:Commonly known for several decades now as the "poster," this has been sitting in a tube on my office desk (along with other unopened stuff) for months now. For many of us it's been a bit of a mystery as to what this was, so hopefully we have some new details:

poster-002.jpg

poster-003.jpg

poster-004.jpg

This was from the Thursday, September 22, 1994 edition of Daily Variety, a trade publication magazine. It's one side of a spread, with an ad for Fox Kids Club adjacent, and articles on the reverse side.

Now, before anyone asks, this is already destined for Kristen Sharpe's personal collection of SWAT Kats stuff, as she's the closest equivalent we have to a museum curator :lol: And, it'll just get lost and inadvertently destroyed if it stays in my possession.
This is one of the coolest finds I've seen in a long time. The Hanna-Barbera logos on the bottom really make me long for the good old days of Cartoon Network. Thanks fir sharing!
1 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:07 pm

I apologize for the necro. But here's a few edits I did (the first one of these was AGES ago, back when the SWAT Kats online forums were still... online, ~2012).

Now for the second one I did with the image source from this thread. I was only able to smudge the noise in this one, but I think it's a decent improvement.

What say you all? TboneSmile RazDetermined
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:59 am

Kicking even more tail in 1995, eh? If only. TboneSwearCait
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:32 am

There's problems in both of my edits.

The first one is way too blurry (attempt at noise reduction).

The second one still has the bright streak (albeit reduced), along with noise that while blurred is still apparent. Also it looks like the poster skews a bit too green, which is something I noticed in the untouched versions (but wasn't as obvious in them). I don't know if the ad was printed improperly or maybe it's just my imagination. :?
1 x

QueenSimia
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by QueenSimia » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Rusakov wrote:There's problems in both of my edits.

The first one is way too blurry (attempt at noise reduction).

The second one still has the bright streak (albeit reduced), along with noise that while blurred is still apparent. Also it looks like the poster skews a bit too green, which is something I noticed in the untouched versions (but wasn't as obvious in them). I don't know if the ad was printed improperly or maybe it's just my imagination. :?
There's definitely intentional green highlighting on the figures, which probably spread with Reduce Noise (you're using Photoshop, I assume?). Most likely some scanner reflection and JPEG artifacts contributing to it as well whenever any blurring operations come into play—mashed-together/softened artifacts tend to look kinda green afterwards.

As far as reducing the scanner reflection glare goes, you'll probably have to do some heavy Clone Stamp retouching to get rid of it completely. If my main computer weren't in Texas getting a mobo transplant at the moment (hooray for warranties), I'd tackle it myself. :<
1 x
|||| friendly neighborhood aero ace ||||

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:31 pm

QueenSimia wrote: There's definitely intentional green highlighting on the figures, which probably spread with Reduce Noise (you're using Photoshop, I assume?). Most likely some scanner reflection and JPEG artifacts contributing to it as well whenever any blurring operations come into play—mashed-together/softened artifacts tend to look kinda green afterwards.

As far as reducing the scanner reflection glare goes, you'll probably have to do some heavy Clone Stamp retouching to get rid of it completely. If my main computer weren't in Texas getting a mobo transplant at the moment (hooray for warranties), I'd tackle it myself. :<
GIMP actually. Too broke to afford Photoshop. :P

I'll have to check if I have the Resynth plugin installed since GIMP's built in cloning tool kinda sucks.

Edit, well I did another edit. No noise removal method was satisfactory IMO, but I did get rid of a lot of the glare.

1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:35 pm

I have several other high resolution exposures I took with different lighting. The point of this thread wasn't really to produce a high quality rendition of that, but to give some added bonus context to a popular SWAT Kats image.

But, I suppose that's no reason not to try again, anyway TboneLaughCait

The physical copy I received for this wasn't in very good condition. Aside from having been rolled and crumpled, the paper texture was highly reflective. You can see several examples of this here.

After reexamining these, and seeing the issues discussed in this thread, I chose file RILLC-4502 for touching-up:

Not sure if that's addressing the mentioned issues or not, but it wasn't a very pristine item to work with RazHoping
4 x

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:40 am

Ooh, that's a job well done! RazorHappyCait

Yeah, it's always a bummer when the source you have to work with isn't so good from the outset. RazEnraged
0 x