The Pastmaster's Watch...

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
EricoBard
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

The Pastmaster's Watch...

Post by EricoBard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Okay, this is a somewhat odd thought that popped into my head as I was writing the latest "Staying in Character" post.

The Pastmaster is a lich. We know this. You know, exposed bones, skull-like face, glowing eye sockets without eyes, blah blah blah...

But his watch. HIS WATCH. Look at the face of it. When it's drawn, does the minute and hour hand stay static, or stand at different positions/times through the show? Someone with more time than me, take a look at this.

If the hour and minute hand are somehow fixed or locked at a certain time...it's possible that that is the exact hour and minute at which he imbued his soul into the pocketwatch and transformed himself into a lich.

Or maybe the hands do change positions; easy enough if the artists for the show weren't outright told in their series bible to leave the hour and minute hands at a certain time in every damn shot, which would render this theory moot.

Food for thought.
2 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: The Pastmaster's Watch...

Post by Mikazo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:42 pm

EricoBard wrote: But his watch. HIS WATCH. Look at the face of it. When it's drawn, does the minute and hour hand stay static, or stand at different positions/times through the show? Someone with more time than me, take a look at this.
Interesting question. A quick google search revealed the following two images (on the Swat Kats wiki page, and SK Encyclopedia respectively):

(Those images are huge. How do you resize them with the code here?)

Anyway, it doesn't appear to be at a fixed time. That worried me for a second - thought for a moment the Pastmaster has the same issue with his watch as the Swat Kats do with their always-July calendar. :)

The Pastmaster certainly is an interesting character, the lich of which we've never seen. (Sorry, had to. :oops:)
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:31 pm

EricoBard wrote:Or maybe the hands do change positions; easy enough if the artists for the show weren't outright told in their series bible to leave the hour and minute hands at a certain time in every damn shot, which would render this theory moot.
Would the Pastmaster be part of the series bible (assuming SWAT Kats had one)? He isn't in the main models. His only existing model sheets that we're aware of are in what's referred to as "episode design," i.e. the model sheets for individual episodes. This suggests that until Bride of the Pastmaster was pitched, Megakat City really wasn't going to have to worry about him anymore, just like Dr. Sinian said. SinianThisCait

None of the villains are featured in the main models, now that I think about it. Were they all originally intended to just be used once? Dr. Viper, for example, wasn't originally going to be in Destructive Nature. ViperLaughCait

As to the Pastmaster's watch, I think, generally, the hands were supposed to be in whatever position the storyboards and/or model sheets indicated, but, as shown, were depicted in different positions on the watch face at least once. I'll have to go through his episodes and see what the most common position of the hands is from shot to shot.

Here is a model sheet of him from his first episode, although the watch's hands are difficult to see (the image is very small because it's from Cartoon Network's old website from the 90s). It appears they're in the same position they're in when Jack and Tom first unearth him:

Here's one for him and Callista (for the flashback scene in The Deadly Pyramid), which was larger and ought to give us what is more or less the official position the watch hands are supposed to be in, assuming there is one (it appears to just reuse his exact character model from The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice):

Unless we can find a model sheet of the pocketwatch itself, with any attendant notations detailing that it's always supposed to be stuck at that time, your guess is as good as mine and this is as close as we'll get.

Also, while we're on the subject, that's a huge pocketwatch. And it isn't just 'cause he's so small. That model sheet is more or less a screen accurate size comparison between him and Callista. That thing is huge for her, and she's a normal-sized kat. That thing would only be a "pocketwatch" for Dark Kat! :lol:
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

marhawkman
Resident
United States of America

Post by marhawkman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Given that the hands are the same size... I'm not sure they cared. But yeah, real pocket watches were 1/4 that size.

Also given how many eps have a villain of the week format.... I'd be willing to bet that the villains were made up while writing the episodes.
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:12 pm

marhawkman wrote:Also given how many eps have a villain of the week format.... I'd be willing to bet that the villains were made up while writing the episodes.
Some may have been, but a good many of them were created by the Tremblays before production began. Their artbook features very early drawings of the Metallikats, Dr. Viper, the Pastmaster, Morbulus (back when he was still named "Occulus") and a few other villains who never ended up being used, such as Ninja Kat and Mad Manx Mercenary (a no-goodnick black sheep of the Manx family, perhaps?). While many villains probably did get made up on the fly later on, the script writers for the first season (especially the first half of it) seem to have drawn from a pool of pre-made bad guys built episodes around them.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Swatkatfan21
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Swatkatfan21 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:25 am

Mikazo wrote:
EricoBard wrote: Anyway, it doesn't appear to be at a fixed time. That worried me for a second - thought for a moment the Pastmaster has the same issue with his watch as the Swat Kats do with their always-July calendar. :)

The Pastmaster certainly is an interesting character, the lich of which we've never seen. (Sorry, had to. :oops:)
As a bachelor like Jake and Chance I can explain the calendar. Its either an old calendar that they like to much too toss out, favorite picutre is from July (guys who have worked in any shop know what I mean), or they are just too lazy to care. Been guilty of all three myself! RazSilly

As for the lich joke; Boo! TboneLaughCait
0 x