3 Years Later: Evaluating the Kickstarter Phenomenon

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: 3 Years Later: Evaluating the Kickstarter Phenomenon

Post by Kooshmeister » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:10 pm

MoDaD wrote:This has been a repeatedly stated reason, one that I can personally relate to as I myself try to avoid talking about things until they're certain.
Fine. But that still leaves the trailer. Which wouldn't necessarily have to reveal much, if anything at all. It could just be a brief snippet of the SWAT Kats busting some bad guys. A little self-contained thing like the opening sequence to Batman: The Animated Series. So if they're using that excuse for not making the trailer despite having surpassed the Thruster stage, then I'm crying foul.

This is not up for debate.

It is explicitly stated in the Kickstarter that once they hit $100,000, they'd make a trailer. They haven't, and (as far as I'm aware) have not said why. There is no getting around this fact. When are we getting the thing specifically promised in the Kickstarter? What have they been doing with that $141,500?

It's a perfectly normal question that would be nice to have answered. If the trailer is the thing that's planned for this November, then I'd like them to say so and quit being so darn vague. I'm not trying to rock the boat or ruffle anyone's feathers. I'm just trying to ensure things remain on course and that there is accountability.

This fandom means a lot to me. In fact, it means more to me than any other fandom I'm in. Whatever else certain people may think of me, never doubt that I mean what I say when I say SWAT Kats is (almost!) everything to me.

I want Revolution to happen.

I appreciate all that the Tremblays have done and are doing, that they've provided us with a lot of great behind the scenes material from the original show (and saw fit to gift me in particular with a piece of memorabilia that undoubtedly is worth a lot of money, for which I will be eternally grateful), but whatever their reasons, this silence is extremely frustrating. They took our money. They owe us what we were promised once we'd given a certain amount. So here's hoping the trailer is what's going to come out in November, or else I fear I'm going to lose faith in Revolution altogether.
4 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:This is not up for debate.
Nope. Just reaffirming Echo's statement, as that has been the stated reason. Not to excuse the lack of fulfillment.
Kooshmeister wrote:When are we getting the thing specifically promised in the Kickstarter? What have they been doing with that $141,500?
SinianThisCait
4 x

Echo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Echo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Well guys, we got 2 months to see if they'll deliver or not. And I and many others (especially Koosh) hope they do. KittyEyesChanceIcon
2 x

Tarnish
Resident
Hungary

Post by Tarnish » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:16 am

Yeah, a statement at least would definitely be welcome regarding that promised trailer. Do they even remember they promised that or did they forget during the efforts trying to find a financial partner? Did they plan to use the raised Kickstarter funds to produce the trailer (which you would assume, as that's how Kickstarters work), or only after they find a partner and there's an agreement in place (which is a pretty pointless way of doing a trailer as upcoming cartoons/movies always get a trailer anyway).
3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:59 am

Copied from Discord:
MoDaD wrote:I'd like to apologize for being unable to deliver any positive news. One of the reasons I try to avoid talking about in-progress projects is because they have a tendency to fail. Due to the time-sensitive nature of events in September I broke that personal policy (in this thread) in revealing time table dates concerning SK Revolution announcements. I relayed those times as they were given to me, but at each point circumstances changed on a weekly basis.

One of the main reasons for the repeatedly delayed announcements is due to the changing status of certain guest availability for a "25th anniversary reunion." For reasons ranging from being unavailable due to other industry obligations, to plain disinterest, original show staff (out of respect I won't be identifying by name) would largely not be attending. Due to this, the nature of what the Tremblays have planned is changing. There will probably not be a live event. There may or may not be a Kickstarter announcement. I'll be touching base again with them later this week.

As has already no doubt been observed by others, it has now been over 1 year since the last official Kickstarter update post.

As a reminder, if and when a Kickstarter update occurs, and you would like to voice your concerns to them in the replies, I'd suggest using the points that Erico outlined in (this thread).
3 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:39 pm

MoDaD wrote:Copied from Discord:
MoDaD wrote:I'd like to apologize for being unable to deliver any positive news. One of the reasons I try to avoid talking about in-progress projects is because they have a tendency to fail. Due to the time-sensitive nature of events in September I broke that personal policy (in this thread) in revealing time table dates concerning SK Revolution announcements. I relayed those times as they were given to me, but at each point circumstances changed on a weekly basis.
(snip)
Thanks for the update. What exactly were they hoping to accomplish by having a reunion? At this point, it would seem more prudent to me to focus on creating new content. Besides as you stated, it's easy for those kinds of events to fall through due to a variety of reasons.

I mean this with all due respect of course, but I guess I'm not quite understanding what they are trying to do.
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Mikazo wrote:What exactly were they hoping to accomplish by having a reunion? At this point, it would seem more prudent to me to focus on creating new content.
This is a very on-point observation, and it hasn't gone (diplomatically) unsaid.
2 x

Tarnish
Resident
Hungary

Post by Tarnish » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:44 am

MoDaD wrote:For reasons ranging from being unavailable due to other industry obligations, to plain disinterest
Not to derail the thread or imply that being disinterested in attending a live event is the same as being disinterested in the entire show, but just a throught: after listening to how special SWAT Kats was to the various key people behind it (the first big project for the Tremblays, as well as a major studio picking up a show idea they created, Lance Falk's first real opportunity as a writer), I wonder for how many people was it just another job among the many others they worked on.
3 x