How Big is MegaKat city?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
stancymckatt
Resident
United States of America

How Big is MegaKat city?

Post by stancymckatt » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 am

I live in a rural area, so the idea of a large city is overwhelming. The biggest place I've ever been is less than 700,000 on the previous census. My bother said I haven't seen anything yet (he's a trucker). So that got me to thinking... How big is MegaKat City Really?

Is it LA big? 4ish million
Is it NYC big? 8ish million
Is it Toyko big? 38million

Or is it Bigger?

If MegaKat city is that big, it would explain why people would still live there... The whole "It won't happen in my neighborhood" effect.

Mutation City blew that out of the water.... But if it was a one time thing.
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: How Big is MegaKat city?

Post by Kooshmeister » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:35 pm

I seem to recall a quote from someone explaining how large it is once but I forget the exact wording.
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Interesting question, Stancy! While official sources vary, the consensus is that Megakat City is ridiculously, infeasibly huge. But hey, we know better than to expect realism from SWAT Kats by now. TboneLaughCait

Anyway, in their original creative brief, the Tremblays describe Megakat City as "a GIANT METROPOLIS of about the size of the state of California". Lance Falk's promotional packet goes even further, stating that the city is "a vast and varied metropolis, rivaling Planet Earth in size." A city the size of a state, or an entire planet! How would that even work? I guess we have our next discussion topic!
4 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:37 pm

There's not a lot of resources in regards to maps, but here's a few.

From the SNES game menu:

From Enter the Madkat, a city map on Callie's office wall:

And, just for fun, another non-canon SK RPG map:

4 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:09 pm

You can also see the map pretty well in Katastrophe:

3 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:19 pm

marklungo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:33 pm
Interesting question, Stancy! While official sources vary, the consensus is that Megakat City is ridiculously, infeasibly huge. But hey, we know better than to expect realism from SWAT Kats by now. TboneLaughCait

Anyway, in their original creative brief, the Tremblays describe Megakat City as "a GIANT METROPOLIS of about the size of the state of California". Lance Falk's promotional packet goes even further, stating that the city is "a vast and varied metropolis, rivaling Planet Earth in size." A city the size of a state, or an entire planet! How would that even work? I guess we have our next discussion topic!
This makes the most sense to me. I always imagined it to be huge. A giant, sprawling, densely packed behemoth of a city, that stretches on and on and where citizens live on top of each other like sardines.

I mean, the Swat Kats need a whole fighter jet to traverse the thing.

Why does everyone want to live there, of all places? Because that's where the jobs are!
3 x

stancymckatt
Resident
United States of America

Post by stancymckatt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm

marklungo wrote:
But hey, we know better than to expect realism from SWAT Kats by now. TboneLaughCait
Agreed. TboneLaughCait
marklungo wrote:
California I can see... Especially with the desert, swamp, and the mountains. The entire size of earth... Not so much. SteeleSweatDropIcon
MoDaD wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:37 pm
There's not a lot of resources in regards to maps, but here's a few.
Thanks a bunch for digging them out MoDaD chancestareyesicon

Is it just me or does the one on the original background, for Callie's Office CallieIcon1 , look like it might be an old fashioned one that you call pull down more maps for different views (Like in movies set in old classrooms). Or maybe it's just a light... There are four lines in the center that could be pull cords for more maps, or a pull string for a light. They don't make sense for shading.
Kooshmeister wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:09 pm
You can also see the map pretty well in Katastrophe:
Thank you :-) It's a shame that they redrew it.. Or maybe it's a different map entirely showing only streets? The frame is different, definitely.
Mikazo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:19 pm
This makes the most sense to me. I always imagined it to be huge. A giant, sprawling, densely packed behemoth of a city, that stretches on and on and where citizens live on top of each other like sardines.

I mean, the Swat Kats need a whole fighter jet to traverse the thing.

Why does everyone want to live there, of all places? Because that's where the jobs are!
Excellent points. That also explains why the Enforcers have so many choppers and jets.

It must be really hard for someone moving in from somewhere else. I doubt they'd bother with the name MegaKat if it was the normal size for a city on that planet.
1 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Felony » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:11 pm

stancymckatt wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 am
I live in a rural area, so the idea of a large city is overwhelming. The biggest place I've ever been is less than 700,000 on the previous census. My bother said I haven't seen anything yet (he's a trucker). So that got me to thinking... How big is MegaKat City Really?
It’s ever growing isn’t it? It’s gotta be huuuge given the SWAT Kats don’t zoom over it in 60 seconds or less in a jet. XD I doubt there is anything comparable to any city on earth in size.

MoDaD wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:37 pm
And, just for fun, another non-canon SK RPG map:

LOL oh wow, that brings back memories. Except the memory of who made that map for the #skrpg. RazEmbarrassed Was most likely either Strike or Klawz. Alex’s apartment is referring my Alexandria Manx.
2 x
DarkKatFury

stancymckatt
Resident
United States of America

Post by stancymckatt » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:38 am

Felony wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:11 pm
It’s ever growing isn’t it? It’s gotta be huuuge given the SWAT Kats don’t zoom over it in 60 seconds or less in a jet. XD I doubt there is anything comparable to any city on earth in size.
I hadn't thought about the speed of the TurboKat being a clue to the size of the city. I looked it up and a F-14 TomKat's speed ranges from 600 to 1500 for the avg one. The fact that they would need to go that fast to get across the city. You're right that there's nothing on earth to compare it to.

That's a very good reason for them to pick a Jet. turbokatfire
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pm

stancymckatt wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm
It's a shame that they redrew it.. Or maybe it's a different map entirely showing only streets? The frame is different, definitely.
Well, they kinda had to as it's obviously a closer, more detailed angle of her desk area. And the map looks mostly the same to me.

Looking at the RPG map, goodness, it seems like Dr. Zyme sure lived a long way from where he went to work. And as I recall, he drove. I hope he got good gas mileage. zymeicon
1 x