How Big is MegaKat city?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
stancymckatt
Resident
United States of America

Re: How Big is MegaKat city?

Post by stancymckatt » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pm
stancymckatt wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm
It's a shame that they redrew it.. Or maybe it's a different map entirely showing only streets? The frame is different, definitely.
Well, they kinda had to as it's obviously a closer, more detailed angle of her desk area. And the map looks mostly the same to me.
On closer inspection, you're right that it's close... But not quite the same. Notice that there's no scale on the one in the episode. (Not something worth bothering with when animating really.

The frame is a totally diffrent color too. Again not something you'd notice in the show, but what's the fun if I don't split a few hairs. callieeyerollicon
Closeup_MapCallieOiffice.jpg
(I had way too much fun learning how to rotate selections in GIMP. BlushJakeIcon )

It also bugs me that the vistors chair in the first background is green, then the screen cap in that Kooshmeister put up is Reddish brown. Green goes better with the pink of her office.... But that's totally ill-relevant. SteeleSweatDropIcon
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:41 pm

It's weird how the map in Enter the Madkat is more detailed than the one in Katastrophe, even though the latter is objectively a much better animated episode than the former. The coastline is the same shape, though, more or less.
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

stancymckatt
Resident
United States of America

Post by stancymckatt » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:36 am

Kooshmeister wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:41 pm
It's weird how the map in Enter the Madkat is more detailed than the one in Katastrophe, even though the latter is objectively a much better animated episode than the former. The coastline is the same shape, though, more or less.
Maybe it's just a sign of a more animation savvy artist for the second one? Maps have to be a bit of a pain to deal with.
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:07 pm

I guess? It's not like the map needed to be animated or interacted with at all, really.

Anyway, regarding the different picture frames, a lot of stuff in this show tended to get tinted or shaded weird colors at times.
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:07 pm
Anyway, regarding the different picture frames, a lot of stuff in this show tended to get tinted or shaded weird colors at times.
I'm sure that the animators were under a lot of pressure to get everything done on time -- which makes it all the more impressive that SWAT Kats looks as good as it does.
2 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

stancymckatt
Resident
United States of America

Post by stancymckatt » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:00 pm

marklungo wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 pm
Kooshmeister wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:07 pm
I'm sure that the animators were under a lot of pressure to get everything done on time -- which makes it all the more impressive that SWAT Kats looks as good as it does.
Agreed... Or maybe she redecorated. The chairs are different too. TboneLaughCait
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 pm

stancymckatt wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:00 pm
... Or maybe she redecorated. The chairs are different too. TboneLaughCait
For all we know, maybe the original chairs were destroyed during a supervillain attack.
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

stancymckatt
Resident
United States of America

Post by stancymckatt » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:03 pm

marklungo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 pm
For all we know, maybe the original chairs were destroyed during a supervillain attack.
That is a good point. TboneLaughCait

I'd hate to think of the budget for decorating much less anything else. Especially the damage after the Pastmaster.
2 x

EditorElohim
Just Moved In
Paraguay

Post by EditorElohim » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:21 pm

I doubt very much that Megakat is a city in the purest style of MegaCity Two, much less an ecumenopolis. (Coruscant style city-planet). The series was not very clear about that; we don't even know if it is a city-state like Singapore or belongs to a state and a country. RazConfused (Although the fact that its airport says INTERNATIONAL suggests other countries)

Nor can we assume that it is very big, thanks to the Hanna-Barbera effect. We can take it as a standard city for a hero program: neither as big as New York nor as small as... uh... Ponyville. RazLaugh

By the way, is there a specific topic for discussion on "Where in the world-universe is Megakat City?
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Well, we know there's areas outside of it such as the desert, swamp, mountains, etc., and an entire other town, Megakat Springs, plus as you mentioned an international airport, so I doubt Megakat City encompasses the entire world.
1 x