Visit to Trembly Bros. Studios

Any fandom news about the SWAT Kats, Kats Eye News wants to know!
EricoBard
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: Visit to Trembly Bros. Studios

Post by EricoBard » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:26 am

Welp, it took me some time, MoDaD, but I think I've settled on 15 questions which I'd personally love to have those 2 crazy Canadian brothers answer.

Tentative Interview Questions (Use or Not at your Discretion)

1) What Inspired you to become animators?

2) In past interviews, you and the writers have remarked that certain episodes were 'the Die Hard/etc' episode. How did you derive inspiration from popular movies and themes and still keep the show fresh?

3) You got your start at Hanna Barbara studios, whose intellectual properties eventually were incorporated into Cartoon Network. What did you feel stifled by the most, working in a large animation studio?

4) How did you secure the rights to any future SWAT Kats productions? Was this a part of your original contract, or something that was put into the language back when the show was cancelled?

5) From Season 1 to Season 2, there was a dramatic shift in the art style, with things looking cleaner and sleeker, and making the characters more 'realistic' overall. Was this an intended move on your part, or merely an effect of having the assistance of another animation studio?

6) Of everything that was either edited out of existing episodes or was cancelled in the planning and production stages, what do you consider your greatest regret? And are there certain plotlines or concepts that you've been able to recycle as you put in the groundwork on Revolution?

7) The loss of the voice actors for Dark Kat, Commander Feral, and Abi Sinian have been blows to the SWAT Kats fan communities, and I imagine that deciding whether to replace their VAs or write the characters out of the script entirely has been a struggle. Can you recall any particular stories of them from working on the show? For that matter, do you have any tales of the VA's behind the scenes that are worth memorializing?

8) You have been involved in many other animation projects in the years since the cancellation of SWAT Kats. In your own opinion, what is it about this show which has made it such a draw and strong source of positive memories to the fans, 20 years later?

9) A popular thing in various fan communities is to 'ship' or place particular characters in relationships. Were there any particular romantic affiliations between the characters of Megakat City you ever pondered as their creators? Or does the business of being vigilante heroes, cops, and public servants make such things an impossibility, to your thinking?

10) The show always focused on Megakat City and its immediate surroundings, which limited the overall world quite a bit. What are other regions and places beyond the boundaries of Megakat City that we should be aware of which you never got the chance to touch on during the show?

11) With the rise of the internet, it became much easier for fans of certain video games and television shows to find one another and continue to make tribute works. In your interviews for Revolution, one of the things that you listed as a continuing inspiration were how many fans either wrote stories, made music, or did artwork in tribute to your efforts. Can you think of any particular fan works you particularly appreciated?

12) The Turbokat appears, on the surface, to be a heavily modified F-14, due to its swept wing design. Somehow, it is able to store multiple vehicles, from the Cyclotrons to the larger Turbomole and Hoverkat, as well as a large array of weapons from the customized missiles to the cement machine gun...not to mention the four sub-orbital boosters used during Speed of Heat operations. This may be a highly technical question, but how exactly did Jake and Chance manage to squeeze in all that additional gear into the Turbokat without sacrificing its thrust to weight ratio?

13) We know far more about Chance's background than we know of Jake Clawson. Was the technical brain of the duo a Megakat city native like Chance, or if he was not, where do you think he hailed from?

14) One of the things that has changed in cartoons, especially since the rise of internet-only production studios, has been a marked shift from episodic writing to series writing, where each episode might have its own individual plot, but contributes to the ongoing narrative. A prominent example of this would be Voltron: Legendary Defender. Do you see SWAT Kats Revolution as becoming an ongoing series, or will you be adhering to the episodic model?

15) There has been very little news to come out on your Kickstarter page, or from the studios in general since the announcement that Cartoon Network refused to pick up the option on the show. What new developments could you pass on to the fans who are hungry for news of your new project? Any new artwork, or a preview of the 2 minute 'show trailer' that the stretch goals got up to? And given their commitment to shows like Voltron, Trollhunters, and others, what has Netflix's response been to the petition to have Revolution join their family of exclusive projects?
4 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:39 am

EricoBard wrote:Welp, it took me some time, MoDaD, but I think I've settled on 15 questions which I'd personally love to have those 2 crazy Canadian brothers answer.
Really love question 12 RazLaugh

And MoDaD, almost forgot... Get fun there, for all of us! (And don't catch a cold RazHurt )
2 x
------------------------
NERO (X3)
------------------------
ImageFind me on: DeviantArt / FurAffinity / Twitter
ImageSK smilies request list: https://www.dropbox.com/s/exp9slsdtz8b9 ... t.txt?dl=0

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:15 pm

These are all good topics of discussion, but something to also keep in mind...

One of the obstacles I had when editing together the Houston convention was not knowing what I'd capture, and things being so chaotic that it took a lot of time to organize everything, so things got pushed back (trying to add things to hours long panels was challenging). This time around, I think what I'd like to try to do is organize things into "bursts" that are centered around topics (or better yet actual episode clips), that way they'll be easier to edit and upload to YouTube in 10 minute or so increments.

An idea for a content burst would be sort of a general topic, like, let's talk about T-Bone for 15 minutes, with some specifics like "In this episode T-Bone does this, and he does it again here in this other episode." Was there more intended backstory, was there intended follow-up, was this part of something larger that got left off, is there a funny story behind it?

This serves the dual purpose of having something visual already in mind that can be edited in post (and it can also be something I have queued up that I can show them on-site).

A specific example of this that I want to make sure to include is the scene in Caverns of Horror, where T-Bone is rescuing Ann Gora, but a mutated Agracite Scorpion leaps out in front of them, and T-Bone uses Ann Gora as an improvised weapon:

And then we get their reactions, explanations, etc. I'd like to concentrate on the funny, the heartfelt, the close-calls, etc. that will help play into reactions/discussions that will (hopefully) make for something that's interesting to watch/listen to and doesn't wind up being boring.

A lot of the questions that Erico put together are great, but I think they'd be more appropriate in a condensed form or segment along the lines of "questions from the members of MegakatCity.com" which can be it's own video.

I guess, to reiterate, maybe topics should specifically center around a clip(s)/scene(s). My goal is to stir up a statement like this: "That was a great scene, but here's what we originally wanted to do," or "We planned to follow-up on this in another unused script or episode idea" and then hopefully there will be some supplemental materials (sketches, concept art or anything) to drop in.

I hope this is making sense :lol:
3 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:31 pm

MoDaD wrote:I hope this is making sense :lol:
It is, and I like the idea Image. Maybe it's a good thing to revisit some old topics like Closest Calls, Iconic Scenes, Unanswered Questions, or even Ridiculous Moments. Those posts are full with episode scenes and questions that I think got the atention of us all and maybe can also take the atention of the Tremblays if shown.

Tomorrow I'll search some other topics for more, I'm too tired right now.
2 x
------------------------
NERO (X3)
------------------------
ImageSK smilies request list: https://www.dropbox.com/s/exp9slsdtz8b9 ... t.txt?dl=0

SVMON94
Resident
Finland

Post by SVMON94 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:09 pm

How about character design as a topic? I'm sure there's something like the inspiration of the designs and the little details. (Example:Callie's glasses)
2 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

Krillos
Resident
Sweden

Post by Krillos » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Oh man, those are some radical news I've heard all day! I hope you have an enlightened and awesome experience during your visit to the studio.

Personally, I am still iffed over how unprofessional the questions were from the audience during the interview at Anime Matsuri convention and this would be a golden opportunity to ask the Tremblays some real productive questions but I agree with everyone here that you should prioritize with your questions, no matter how much we would want to know more about the Revolution.

Here are five questions I would like to suggest:

"If SK Revolution would be put on Netflix, would you consider to put up the original Swat Kats-show as well for continuity purposes for the new fans?"

"Out of all action figures, Dark Kat looks the least bit of himself in appearance. What is the story behind its unusual look?"

"During the interview at Anime Matsuri, you talked about the current statuses for Chance, Jake, Callie and Dark Kat in Revolution but you haven't mentioned about the Enforcers. What has Commander Feral and Lt. Felina been up to?"

"Will Dr Viper and the Pastmaster's disappearances in The Deadly Pyramid and Mutation City from the first show be connected to their return in Revolution?"
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:36 am

Another technical note, I'll primarily be using three Nikon DSLRs for HD video capture, with independent lapel and other mics on other audio recording devices. It's mostly for budget reasons, as dedicated HD cameras get a little pricey. DSLRs work well enough with proper lighting. The only caveat is I'll have to juggle things in 20 minute increments as that's the limit without hacking the hardware. I''ll probably have some inexpensive HD camcorder running constantly in the background as an emergency footage backup.

So, what this means from a preparation standpoint, is I think that I'll want to shoot content into dedicated 15 minute segments*, and with your help I'd like to plan out these segments in advance.

So, excluding DVD episode commentary, I'd like to know (with your corresponding clip/scene) what you want to target and try to get in Segment 1, 2, etc. I'm hoping to have at least 3 hours available - which may seem like a long time, but it really isn't, so I think we should prioritize the most important things first.

*This does not guarantee what is used will be 15 minutes in length - editing in post may reveal only a few minutes of usable content.
3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:31 am

As you can probably tell by now, this thread is helping me to "think out loud," so that's why it's not following any kind of flow or order. I may post abrupt things here and there :lol:

Anyway, one of the things I want to make sure to include is a 30-minute-ish live stream, likely through the YouTube channel. It's probably going to occur toward the end. It'd be nice to have some interaction with fans, but I don't want to oversell this yet in case there are any unforeseen limitations. Something along the lines of reading comments/questions off the YouTube stream, or using Twitter, or maybe even coordinating a call-in using one of my various Google phone numbers might be a possibility.

Anyway, with low expectations in mind, what would be the best way to take advantage of a live stream? I'll have already recorded In-depth questions and interviews earlier in the day, so maybe it could be framed as something a little more "light?"
1 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:18 pm

MoDaD wrote:Anyway, with low expectations in mind, what would be the best way to take advantage of a live stream? I'll have already recorded In-depth questions and interviews earlier in the day, so maybe it could be framed as something a little more "light?"
Maybe it could be used as a small Q&A like the one we got at anime matsuri, but this time, online with the questions that get the Tremblay's attention. I mean, If there is a chat during the stream, there won't be any respect or word order by the viewers, so the Tremblays will be able to choose what to answer and maybe even see what the fans have more interest in (and use it in the future as advertising/news material to keep high the hype).

Aside of that... how about a quick tour of the studios? Let's see what they have there RazDark (and maybe find something cool! RazHoping ).
0 x
------------------------
NERO (X3)
------------------------

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Rusakov » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Cait wrote:Aside of that... how about a quick tour of the studios? Let's see what they have there RazDark (and maybe find something cool! RazHoping ).
I don't think that'd be a good idea. Considering that they might want to keep a few other projects under wraps for now. Plus they probably want their privacy. Though I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

And best of luck to your visit MoDaD! RazDetermined
1 x