LGBT characters in Swat Kats

This is a place for OOC hypothetical discussions on the show.
Ocelot
Resident
Philippines

Re: LGBT characters in Swat Kats

Post by Ocelot » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:30 am

I dont know if anyone watches Legend of Korra but they did a gay/lesbian storyline with two of the main characters and the world didnt end. And if anyone want to bring histrionic into it the Japanese have done it since the 80s. Sailor Moon and Gatchaman are two of the well known ones. I think its time and honestly if your afraid your children might see it then you might as well keep them in the house until they are adults. Because no way can you hide them from seeing these type of situations these days. The world has changed.

And in regards to the show having one. Im all for having some of the lesser known characters or possibly villians being LGBT. My personal chioce would be Ann Gora and maybe Ringtail or Harddrive. As for the Swat Kats themselves being gay and possibly being together. I dont think it will be a good idea. To me it plays into the stereotype that two people who share a friendship or a closeness is automatically sexually attracted to one another.
8 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:10 am

Steel would be an interesting choice...
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

RedCoonie
Raccoon with a pen
United States of America

Post by RedCoonie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:Steel would be an interesting choice...
adding him to my list of characters LOL
1 x

WooldoorSockbat
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by WooldoorSockbat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:29 am

Hey guys, It's me again...
I haven't been here for almost a month now for reasons that mostly had to do with my mental health and anxiety problems so I would like to deeply and genuinely apologize for not replying and updating at all. (Though, after posting my topic, I visited the site several times, observed and took into consideration most of the answers for about a week.) Thank you immensely for contributing to this important discussion, as well as, welcoming me to the community. I totally understand that because of my lack of response and because the post itself was put in a very blunt and superficial way with lack of arguments to back my thoughts, some of you probably came to the conclusion that my sole intention was to incite unnecessary drama, but just to assure you - THAT'S THE NOT THE CASE AT ALL. The topic itself touches me personally (I'm gay) the support of the idea of a positive LGBT representation from you guys is truly significant and I believe that together we can make that happen :).
It took me time to actually put my thoughts and arguments into perspective... So, first I'd like to answer some of your questions and then I'll elaborate on this topic some more...
Q: Have I started a petition?
A: No, I haven't. And as some of you pointed it out (for example Mikazo), the idea of directly contacting the creators (probably through email) and casually addressing it to them would be more efficient. But does anyone know how to do that? Does anyone have their contacts? I'd appreciate if you let me know how that works?
Q: Do I still believe outing Jake and Chance is a good idea?
A: Yes and No... and I'll address this further.

Now, I definitely see that the best thing that creators could do is to introduce new characters that are LGBT, but concerning the existing ones - here are a few suggestions who should be outed.

1. Commander Feral - I have mixed feelings about the idea of outing him as part of the LGBT, because he would not be exactly a positive representation. He's one of those characters - you either completely despite him or love him :) (He's personally one of my favorites). The thing is, he is made to be a jerk and a laughing stock at the end of each episode. His stubbornness and big ego overshadows his good qualities - the dedication to fight for justice, fearlessness, unbeatable determination despite failing all the time. However, that's why I like him - you can't put him in the black (villain) or white (protagonist) box. Though, we strive for positive representation - the idea that there are all kinds of non-straights that share both good and bad qualities and aren't simply Mary Sues should be established.

2. Felina Feral - She's A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. When I think of her, I see the combination of both Korra and Asami from The Legend of Korra in her... Strong, determined, brave, smart, loyal, rational, skilled, professional - she possesses every good quality that her uncle lacks. That would be splendid representation for queer girls. And I feel like since Korra and Asami are representing bisexual community (just like other very well known bisexual women from marvel and dc universes - Black Cat, Wonder Woman, Harley just to name a few), I'd like to see Felina representing lesbian community. And wouldn't it be great if the rivalry that we see between Jake and Chance 'fighting' for Callie's affection would be extended? What if Felina showed interest in Callie too?

3. And finally - Jake and Chance. Now I agree with majority of you that Jake and Chance as a couple wouldn't be the very realistic possibility , though originally, I considered it to be one of the great ideas in terms of two main characters (started as friends) gradually falling for each other (just like Ocelot pointed it out). The concept is ideal - very strong, brave, not stereotypical male lovers. Correct me if I'm wrong - but the only official same sex (male) couple in the cartoons (aimed for children), that are main characters, are Ren and Stimpy (and as much as I like the show, they are in no way could be attributed to the standard of a good representation). So, if the creators made Jake and Chance together - that would be, in a way, the big change. But then again, the concept that they would not end up together - but are (both or one of them) bisexual is better. I'd like to see the similar episode to the one where Chance fell for Turmoil (but this time he'd fall for male antagonist). And ideally - none of the characters should act surprised or question it. I'd like to believe, since they're very close friends, they would have already come out to each other off-screan.

Let me know what you think.
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:47 pm

I consider Succubus! canon, for the most part, so if Feral were outed, he'd be bi as opposed to gay, considering he almost married Katrina. :lol:

Felina being gay I can kinda see, I just worry it'd run dangerously close to the stereotype of how only unfeminine women are lesbians.

Steel, as I noted, would be an interesting one. Assuming he redeemed himself, somehow.

And if you ask me, Zyme would be a good choice possibly. If he were ever brought back it'd be interesting if he were made gay. Especially with the "Feral is bi" idea, as I once toyed with shipping the two of them, odd considering they only interact twice and only converse once. I guess I just liked the notion of the very masculine Enforcer commander and the more studious, older intellectual scientist being an item. Opposites attract. :lol:
3 x

RedCoonie
Raccoon with a pen
United States of America

Post by RedCoonie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 pm

WooldoorSockbat wrote: (I'm gay)
Cool beans, I am aswell :)
1 x

WooldoorSockbat
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by WooldoorSockbat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:22 am

Kooshmeister wrote: Steel, as I noted, would be an interesting one. Assuming he redeemed himself, somehow.

And if you ask me, Zyme would be a good choice possibly. If he were ever brought back it'd be interesting if he were made gay.
Yes, definitely. Very great suggestions and I have one more.

Mayor Manx - now I know he's worse than Ulysses, but I think the idea that Megakat City has gay mayor, who holds high political power is quite pleasing.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Manx? An unusual choice, but I can kinda see it.
1 x

Cody Furlong
Resident
United States of America

Post by Cody Furlong » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:52 pm

While I agree that making Chance and Jake be together that way would ruin the dynamic they have. It would be interesting of one of them discovered they liked guys, and ended up with a guy love interest with another character. It would provide a lot more plot and character development as they had to try to learn how to handle things. I know they made Chance out to be the macho ladies kat, but I could see him learning that he likes guys too, and it shaking him up, and having to spend time coming to grips with it, and seeing how it would change tings.
0 x
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:45 am

OTP:

3 x