Possible AU World Building

SWAT Kats related fan art goes here.
EmpressAkitla
Just Moved In
United States of America

Possible AU World Building

Post by EmpressAkitla » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:25 pm

Figured I’d start a thread where I can toss up some stuff I’m working on for a possible AU I’ve been tinkering with for a while. My iPad is out of commission currently and so I’m missing some of my other stuff, but I managed to find this piece from 2019 of T-Bone conversing with an insectoid alien, and then promptly remembered he’s supposed to be scared of bugs, lol. We’ll say this one’s fluffy so she gets a pass.

I’ll probably post more pics if I can find them or muster up the oomph to post some traditional sketches and such. Also, feel free to comment. I know some artists don’t like their threads cluttered up, but I’m okay with it.
Attachments
CC12A32E-8E61-4ED2-B971-60DC06BEA7D8.jpeg
1 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: Possible AU World Building

Post by Mikazo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:35 am

That's a nice drawing! Thanks for sharing.
EmpressAkitla wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:25 pm
We’ll say this one’s fluffy so she gets a pass.
I wonder if that's actual fluff on the alien, or if that's more like those furry-looking venomous spines you see on some insects, like those asp caterpillars? ZymeIcon
1 x

EmpressAkitla
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by EmpressAkitla » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:26 pm

Mikazo wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:35 am
I wonder if that's actual fluff on the alien, or if that's more like those furry-looking venomous spines you see on some insects, like those asp caterpillars? ZymeIcon
Ooo! Astute observation. This particular variation is lightly venomous/poisonous (haven’t decided which yet), but with a mild paralytic that wears off after an hour or two. I’ll have to go dig through my sketchbooks to find the original drawings, but there’s another variety within the same story that is highly toxic. Funnily, it’s the fluffy not-so-toxic variety you have to watch out for. ViperLaughCait
0 x

EmpressAkitla
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by EmpressAkitla » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:57 pm

Here we have some sketches of what I’ve temporarily dubbed Fertile Females and Sterile Females. Being more insectoid, they’re not binary. I’m still doing research on how exactly things like bees are divided, so it’s a work in progress.

First is of a sterile female, those of which usually act as guards or sentries and are more toxic. Typically they come in more drab colors with a bright accent on their wings or limbs.

The second is a few extra sketches of the variety we saw T-Bone talking to previously. They’re usually pretty short, the one in the previous colored image being unusually tall for a fertile female. Typically very bright and ornate.

I’m still hammering out why and how the boys have to interact with this species. Currently working idea is that the TurboKat was sucked through an anomaly (will definitely post more about what I’ve tweaked in this AU later) and they wound up either on this foreign planet, or on their ship. It’s immediately unsettling despite the friendliness on the part of the smaller, fluffier aliens. Razor winds up getting the full story from a guard while T-Bone tries to weasel some help/parts to repair the jet out of one of the fertile females in charge.

And then it goes downhill from there, lol.
Attachments
B3A268AC-1235-4374-8906-40FFD03D4BF9.jpeg
03815CE0-9677-4079-A6CA-37B8032F0557.jpeg
0 x

EmpressAkitla
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by EmpressAkitla » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:39 pm

Okay, figured I’d post some actual AU ideas while I’m on roll.

First up in this more science fiction forward AU is the good doctor himself - my favorite villain from the series - Doctor Viper.

I really wish my iPad wasn’t out of commission right now, because I’d like to dig in and do some more with this headcanon of Viper, but this will have to do until it’s fixed.

I’m mostly rolling with what the show did as far as his origins go, other than I’m adding in the fact that he had been experimenting on himself along the way without Zyme’s knowledge, thus why it was such a wild result when the Viper Mutagen spilled on him and why it didn’t kill him. Not super sure why he was experimenting on himself in the first place, as I don’t see him selflessly sacrificing himself to further a project like the one he and Zyme were working on. Perhaps he was sick? Or something else? Idk. I’m open for suggestions.

Anyway, I wanted to lean more into the reptilian nature of Viper without straying too far from the original design. The Viper in this AU can and often does walk on all fours and can climb exceptionally well. He’s also an excellent swimmer as we’ve seen in the show, though I imagined he’d swim more like an alligator or snake versus a whale as he seemed to swim like in “Mutation City” with the up and down movement rather than side to side. I’m also thinking that his new reptilian/kat status prefers a warmer, more humid environment, which is why he quickly moves to the swamp. I kind of have this idea that despite being on the coast, Megakat City is quite dry and is mostly surrounded by deserts and dry mountains. So Viper’s obsession with turning the city into Megaswamp City in part stems from him wanting to comfortably live wherever he pleases, among other reasons.

I’ve also made him venomous with retractable hypodermic fangs, because why not. I’ve always felt he was one of the most challenging villains to face on the show, so I wanted to up the ante.

Of course, he’s still a brilliant scientist in all things biology and chemistry. And with these so-called anomalies opening up, he’s gotten his hands on some pretty foreign biological samples…

Next up might be Dark Kat. Not sure. Personally, I never cared for Dark Kat, but have some ideas for his existence in this AU. Others like Hard Drive and the Metallikats - my other favorite villains - have remained pretty much the same. The Pastmaster, on the other hand, got so reworked, he pretty much got scrapped and replaced by a different character that kind of fills that niche, but fits this AU better.

Ignore the Hard Drive doodle floating behind Viper.
Attachments
4499C7D5-74B8-47E4-B370-4E19019CCAB0.jpeg
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:52 pm

EmpressAkitla wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:57 pm
I’m still hammering out why and how the boys have to interact with this species. Currently working idea is that the TurboKat was sucked through an anomaly (will definitely post more about what I’ve tweaked in this AU later) and they wound up either on this foreign planet, or on their ship. It’s immediately unsettling despite the friendliness on the part of the smaller, fluffier aliens. Razor winds up getting the full story from a guard while T-Bone tries to weasel some help/parts to repair the jet out of one of the fertile females in charge.
Suppose they have any relation to the Ci-Kat-A? It might make sense that those weren't the only insectoid species in their universe.
0 x

EmpressAkitla
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by EmpressAkitla » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:25 pm

Mikazo wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:52 pm
Suppose they have any relation to the Ci-Kat-A? It might make sense that those weren't the only insectoid species in their universe.
Hmmm…you know, I don’t know. Honestly, I had forgotten about the Ci-Kat-A when I started working on the insectoid aliens back in 2019. I do suppose they could be related somehow. Or perhaps from the same planetary system? These insectoids are less of a conquering hive minded species like the Ci-Kat-A, but I could see them being familiar with the species. Which reminds me, I should draw how I imagine the Ci-Kat-A would look in this AU…
0 x

EmpressAkitla
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by EmpressAkitla » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:54 pm

An example of Viper on all fours, sneaking off with a katalyst and accompanied by a variation of a plantimal while his other oddballs keep everyone else busy.
Attachments
332EEC9C-9424-4412-9BAB-229E06A56170.jpeg
1 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:57 pm

EmpressAkitla wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:54 pm
An example of Viper on all fours, sneaking off with a katalyst and accompanied by a variation of a plantimal while his other oddballs keep everyone else busy.
I like that, that's novel! (At least, I can't recall Dr. Viper being on all fours before, though someone feel free to correct me if there's a scene somewhere I'm forgetting about.)
0 x

EmpressAkitla
Just Moved In
United States of America

Post by EmpressAkitla » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:38 pm

Mikazo wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:57 pm
I like that, that's novel! (At least, I can't recall Dr. Viper being on all fours before, though someone feel free to correct me if there's a scene somewhere I'm forgetting about.)
Thanks! Idk if I’ve seen anyone else depict him on all fours. I mean, it’s an old fandom and there’s a lot of art and fic floating around out there so I wouldn’t think I’m the first person to come up with the idea. I just always got a kick out of his tiny little legs in the show and wondered how he got around so fast. That sorta gave me the idea of him getting around more like a lizard.
1 x