The Savage Swarm

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

The Savage Swarm

Post by Kooshmeister » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:26 am

Intended as a sequel to (my version of) The Doctors of Doom, this script is my idea for a finale of sorts, creating a "Ci-Kat-A trilogy." As usual, it's a WIP.

THE SAVAGE SWARM

A Script by Kooshmeister

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SCENE 1

EXT. FAST FOOD JOINT - EVENING

A hamburger joint. The tow truck is going through the drive-thru. CHANCE FURLONG is at the wheel, impatiently squirming in his seat at the slowness of the driver ahead of them in ordering. Beside him, JAKE CLAWSON seems oblivious to the slowness of the guy up ahead because he's busy listening to the radio.

CHANCE
(under his breath)
Come on, come on... I need a fish sandwich in my tummy!

The voice of Ann Gora is coming through the truck's radio.

ANN
(through the radio)
At an unknown time this evening, the Aqueon mothership will be returning to our planet, bringing with it the Aqueon ambassador.

The slow customer ahead finally finishes and he pulls forward with what seems to Chance to be intolerable slowness. Grinning, Chance eases the gas pedal forwards, the tow truck inching up to the drive-thru speaker.

JAKE
Isn't this great, Chance?

CHANCE
(not really paying attention)
Yeah, yeah.

He leans out the window.

BURGER GUY
(fizzled through the speaker)
Welcome to--

CHANCE
(impatient)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can have it my way. I'm lovin' it. Now, I want three fish sandwiches, two with extra tartar sauce and two with none...

JAKE
I mean, can you imagine? The Aqueons are making official contact with katkind!

CHANCE
(ignoring him)
...five orders of fries and two chocolate milkshakes...

INT. FAST FOOD JOINT - KITCHEN

The BURGER GUY, a teenage kat boy with a huge overbite and prominent braces and an awkwardly oversized headset, looks panicky as he scribbles down Chance's order on a notepad.

CHANCE
(muffled through the headset)
...no, wait, three milkshakes, two chocolate, one vanilla...

BURGER GUY
(nervous)
Uh-huh. Y-Yeah. Sure, sir. Sure.

Behind him, we see another employee handing the food through the window to the driver of the van that's ahead of Chance and Jake. He smiles and drives off.

The motorists behind the boys are starting to get a little irritated now, honking their horns.

CHANCE
(still yakking)
...and a couple of tuna and apple pies.

BURGER GUY
(through the speaker)
How many is "a couple?"

Chance frowns.

CHANCE
I mean, y'know... two.

INT. FAST FOOD JOINT - KITCHEN

The burger guy throws his hands up, sending the notepad and pencil flying. He's through.

BURGER GUY
Uughhh.....

The thoroughly defeated employee's voice filters through the speaker.

BURGER GUY
(through the speaker)
Anything else, sir?

CHANCE
Mmmm...

He looks at Jake.

CHANCE
Jake!

Jake is still fixated on Ann Gora's news report.

ANN
(through the radio)
The ambassador personally meet with Mayor Manx as the first part of his tour of the country in what will be the first official peaceful contact between katkind and aliens! We here at Kat's Eye News have unconfirmed reports that the city's own beloved SWAT Kats will be in attendance as well. Commander Feral was unavailable for comment.

JAKE
(amazed)
Wow!

CHANCE
Woo! Earth to Jake!

He snaps his fingers in front of Jake's face. Jake jerks as if brought out of a trance.

JAKE
Oh, uh...

He glances back at the long line behind them.

JAKE
Well, I am hungry... but I don't wanna keep everybody waiting. So that's a no from me. I'll just get some leftovers outta the fridge later.

CHANCE
Suit yourself.
(into the speaker)
Hey, you still there?

BURGER GUY
(through the speaker)
Yeah...

Dread fills his voice.

CHANCE
That's a negatory on anything else, there, bud. Oh, uh, except for about twenty packets of ketchup.

We hear the poor employee sigh in relief.

EXT. ROAD BY THE OCEAN - NIGHT

Later. The tow truck drives along the two-lane blacktop leading towards the salvage yard. Chance is doing his best to focus both on driving and on digging through the massively overstuffed, bulging fast food bag to make sure the burger place got his order right.

CHANCE
(grumbling)
That guy better not have forgotten anything...

JAKE
Sorry for zoning out back there.

He's beaming excitedly.

JAKE
But it's just that this news really is amazing! The Aqueons coming here to make official contact!

Chance munches a few fries while doing his inventor.

CHANCE
So what? Everyone already knows about aliens. Including them. I mean, in case you forgot, we saved 'em from that four-armed creep Mutilor.

JAKE
Yeah, well, true, but this is them making it official! I mean, after the whole thing with Mutilor, the Aqueons could've just decided to stay as far away from our world as possible! But they wanna come back and make friends and open up trade agreements! Aw, man, imagine all the space-age technology they could share with us!
(a little more enthused)
And the SWAT Kats were part of that! Like you said, we helped free 'em from Mutilor.

CHANCE
(distracted)
Yeah, it's gonna be bigger than the microchip.

Jake smirks.

JAKE
Besides... we'll get to be there. Remember, we've been officially invited.

Chance brightens a bit, but then sours.

CHANCE
CHANCE
(confused)
What would the delegation need with a couple a' mechanics? MASA's got those comin' outta their ears.
(realizing)
Oh! As the SWAT Kats! I dunno. I mean... I hope so. Like you said, we did save their blue butts from Mutilor.

The truck turns into the yard entrance as Chance makes a horrifying discovery.

CHANCE
Arrrghhhhh! That bucktoothed burger geek forgot the ketchup!

EXT. ABOVE THE MEGAKAT PLANET - OUTER SPACE

The Aqueon mothership approaches.

INT. AQUEON MOTHERSHIP - HALLWAY

Aqueon science officer BERTRON walks down the hall leading to the bridge. He is extremely thin with a neatly-trimmed John Waters-esque mustache and wearing an official science officer's uniform. He pauses at the doors. They beep and whoosh open.

INT. AQUEON MOTHERSHIP - BRIDGE

Bertron enters the bridge. AQUEONS (CREW MEMBERS, TECHNICIANS and DELEGATES) mill around, performing various tasks. AMBASSADOR KWI-ESS is noticeably taller than the other aliens, with a dignified beard, broad, impressive shoulder armor and flowing robes.

Bertron walks over to Kwi-Ess. He turns and he and Bertron exchange a wordless Aqueon greeting by holding their hands palms out towards one another. They stand like that for a moment, then both lower their hands at the same time. Bertron seems nervous. Kwi-Ess, however, seems relatively calm, turning away from the science officer to gaze out at the kat world looming large through the front viewport.

KWI-ESS
You seem uneasy, Bertron.

BERTRON
Can we really trust these kats, Ambassador? And with the Queen on board and in the shape she's in?

The Ambassador blinks and turns to look at him.

BERTRON
They're so warlike.

He makes a fist, trembling a bit.

BETRON
Are you absolutely sure we can safely entrust them with the sorium?

Kwi-Ess frowns.

KWI-ESS
Captain Grimalkin vouches for them. And just because their ways are not our ways doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't extend our hand towards them.

He nods his head sagely to indicate the discussion is finished. Bertron sighs and shakes his head.

INT. AQUEON MOTHERSHIP - LAB

The doors whoosh open. Bertron enters a high-tech science lab. It's dark except for a single spotlight coming down from an unknown source to illuminate a glowing crystalline structure contained in a tall glass cylinder sitting on a reinforced pedestal. Bertron walks up to it and leans against the pedestal with both hands, looking conflicted. The crystal in the cylinder glows and emits a soft him.

BERTRON
(to himself)
It'll be like giving bomb fuel to the kats. Because that's what they'll use it for. They're warmongers.

He sighs and hangs his head a bit.

BERTRON
And yet so were we once. And the Queen has commanded it.

He frowns, straightens and leaves the laboratory, the doors whooshing shut after him.

INT. AQUEON MOTHERSHIP - BEDCHAMBER

Lying in a bed atop a dais in the middle of the room is QUEEN AKI-VASHA. She is older but still beautiful, with an impressive, intricate crown made of many different pieces. The room actually belongs to the ambassador, but is being used by the Queen for the trip. Beside her is her daughter, PRINCESS JEHNNA. In contrast to her regal mother, Jehnna is young and rambunctious-looking, wearing a much simpler crown. The Queen's hair is long and straight while Jehnna's is a little wilder, almost punkish.

The Queen, we see, is very old and sick and hooked up to a bunch of high-tech life support equipment. She nevertheless maintains her dignity. Jehnna refuses to leave her side and she is being tended to by AQUEON DOCTORS.

Jehnna is looking out the window.

JEHNNA
I for one can't wait to see the kat world. It seems so fascinating and exciting.

AKI-VASHA
(smiling tiredly)
Now, Jehnna, just remember to behave yourself when you're down there. Although you'll be representing our family, Ambassador Kwi-Ess will be doing the talking.

Jehnna squeezes her mother's hand tightly.

AKI-VASHA
I don't feel right about leaving you up here.

AKI-VASHA
(tired smile)
Oh, I'll be all right. You just worry about getting the Sorium to the inhabitants of this planet. And more importantly, the Water of Life.

She indicates the jug nearby. Its contents sit serenly.

AKI-VASHA
It shall be the symbol of everlasting friendship between our two worlds. And I'm trusting you to carry it for the Ambassador. Do you think you're up to the task?

JEHNNA
Oh, yes, mother! You can count on me!

The door opens and Ambassador Kwi-Ess enters. He pauses, bowing, then exchanges greetings with the Princess. As before, they hold their hands palms outwards towards one another, without actually making physical contact, and lower their hands at the same time after a few moments. Kwi-Ess goes to repeat the greeting with the Queen, but she impatiently waves him off with a tired smile.

AKI-VASHA
Save the ceremonial greetings for the kats, Ambassador. I don't want to spend my remaining time greeting everyone every time they walk into the room. Report.

Jehnna starts and looks concerned for her mother, but Aki-Vasha takes and squeezes her daughter's hand lovingly. The doctors continue tending to the beeping medical equipment. Kwi-Ess clears his throat and straightens, embarrassed, smoothing his robes out.

KWI-ESS
We're arriving at the kat planet. We'll orbit until we come in over the location of Megakat City, which appears to be their world's greatest city. We must make ourselves ready to greet the first of their leaders...
(struggles to pronounce "Mayor")
...Mah-ayyy-ohr Manx.

Jehnna covers her mouth and laughs quietly.

Meanwhile, a derelict-looking MASA rocket, its exterior covered in a thin layer of frost and ice from being in space for so long, is in the last stages of a decaying orbit around the planet. It makes contacts contact with the upper atmosphere.

INT. ROCKET - CONTROL CENTER

A single CI-KAT-A DRONE perches on the control panel with his mandibles jammed into the metal. He's stuck. He isn't moving and doesn't appear to be alive, ice coating his body. As the rocket is shaken by the tremors of its entering the planet's atmosphere, however, we see the alien bug's eyes shine a malevolent red, dim, then glow brightly again, indicating a hideous and sinister life.

Continuing through the upper atmosphere as fire erupts around it, the rocket descends towards the surface of the planet.

EXT. UPPER ATMOSPHERE - EVENING

The rocket descends down through the sky on an unstoppable course.

EXT. FOREST - EVENING

A deer walks along, pausing every now and then to glance around himself. He has an impressive set of antlers. The sound of bugs (cicadas, crickets, etc.) fills the almost prehistoric-looking forest. Finally, assured that he is alone, the deer pauses to munch at some plants near a gently babbling brook. The barrel of a laser rifle rises into shot slowly.

Through the scope, we see the deer finish eating a piece of planet, then go for a drink at the stream. In a reverse shot, we see two hunters. OGILVY is tall and broadly built, wearing yellow-tinted glasses and a hat with a tree branch (a twig, really) stuck in it for "camouflage." He's the one peering through the targeting scope. STENT is younger and looks more inexperienced. He has a baseball cap tipped insolently back on his head. Both of them are wearing reflective hunting vests and armed with laser hunting rifles that look like futuristic AK-47s or Ruger Mini-14s. Ogilvy's is larger and more impressive than his friend's, with a bigger scope and power cel "magazine."

Ogilvy's finger tightens on the trigger. Stent is impatient.

STENT
(whispering)
Come on, man, take the shot already. I wanna get home and watch the game.

OGILVY
(whispering)
Almost...

Suddenly, the chirping bugs all go silent. This unnerves Stent, but Rupert doesn't notice. The deer also notices, jerking his antlered head up, eyes wide. THIS Ogilvy notices, blinking, taking his eye away from the scope for a second, but then he looks back through it, preparing to fire before the deer bolts, when suddenly there comes a thunderous roar from overhead and fire fills the sky. The deer runs off. Ogilvy reflexively fires, missing, his laser blast going into the trunk of a tree, and both hunters turn and gawk up at the side of the battered MASA rocket, engulfed in flames, goes shooting overhead. They throw themselves to the ground as the ship takes the tops of several trees off, raining branches, pine cones and needles down upon the area.

After it passes, they jerk upright, blinking.

STENT
What in the world was THAT?!

OGILVY
Let's go see!

EXT. MASA - EVENING

Establishing shot of the Space Center. A banner hanging on the front of the building reads "Welcome Aqueons!" Judging by the quality of the writing, it was done in fingerpaints by various kids from Megakat City schools. There's also signs of a big impending to-do. Below the banner is a more official one that says "Megakat City Welcomes the Aqueons!" spread above a raised wooden platform with chairs for a delegation and a podium for a speaker. More chairs face the platform. A velvet red carpet leads to the platform.

INT. MASA - MISSION CONTROL

In the main control room area, the MISSION CONTROLLER and a MASA FOREMAN stand over a radar screen.

MISSION CONTROLLER
Whatever it was, it crashed in the forest area outside of the city!

FOREMAN
(worriedly)
Oh boy, I sure hope it wasn't the Aqueons!

MISSION CONTROLLER
No way!

He points to a big screen showing the kat planet. A blip representing the Aqueon ship can be seen.

MISSION CONTROLLER
They're still safely on their approach, thank goodness!

FOREMAN
What do you think it was, then?

MISSION CONTROLLER
No clue. But it's nothing to worry about. Just send a retrieval team out to investigate it.

Nodding the foreman goes and presses a button. There's a buzzing sound, indicating a low level alert.

EXT. MASA - EVENING

Two stern-looking MASA GUARDS stand at attention by the front gate. Hearing a honking horn, they snap to attention like soldiers and go open the barricade. An armored MASA van drives through and the guards shut the gate again.

EXT. FOREST - EVENING

The rocket sits buried nose first in the ground in a crater at the end of a long trench dug by its sliding impact into the ground, back end slightly raised. Uprooted, bent and torn trees lay strewn around everywhere. Ogilvy and Stent's vehicle, a Jeep station wagon with faux wood paneling, drives up and stops at the rim of the crater. The two hunters get out, hefting their guns.

STENT
What is it? Is it those Aqueons we've been hearing about on the news?

OGILVY
No. It looks like some kind of old MASA rocket.

From the inside of the rocket, looking out through the blown hatch, we see a red-tinted P.O.V. shot taking in the approaching hunters.

INT. GARAGE - LIVING ROOM

Chance, in a white undershirt and Scaredy-Kat pajama pants, is gorging himself on his food. Scaredy-Kat is playing on TV, though Chance is uncharacteristically only giving his favorite cartoon part of his attention in favor of complaining about the burger joint having forgotten his ketchup packets.

CHANCE
I still can't believe that bozo forgot my ketchup.

Jake is rummagging through the fridge, getting himself a sandwich on a cellophane-wrapped plate and a can of milk. These he brings over to the couch. Sitting down, he unwraps the sandwich and opens the can, taking a sip.

JAKE
You know, you have a bottle of ketchup in the gridge.

CHANCE
(grumbling)
It's not the same.

Jake just shakes his head and eats his sandwich. On the TV, we see SCAREDY-KAT being menaced by a SKELETON PIRATE wielding an enormous mallet. The cartoon kat screams as he gets pounded into a puddle by the pirate's huge hammer. Chance, seeming to have finally gotten over the injustice of the lack of ketchup packets, guffaws uproariously. Jake just rolls his eyes.

He finishes eating his sandwich and drains the last of his milk can in one big swallow. Getting up, he toges and throws the can, paper plate and cellphane wrapper in the trash. Dusting his hands off, he turns to Chance, who is still munching away and glued to the TV. We see the skeleton pirate is forcing Scaredy-Kat to walk the plank.

JAKE
I'm off to bed.

CHANCE
(distracted)
Yeah, yeah...

JAKE
(playfully stern)
Just remember, don't stay up too late. We've got to be up bright and early tomorrow to go out to the Space Center.

CHANCE
(still distracted)
Uh-huh.

Sighing, Jake heads upstairs to bed.

EXT. FOREST - NIGHT

The MASA retrieval team drives up in their van, following the trench the crashing rocket made when it landed. We recognize the two men inside as the hard-hatted TECHNICIANS in jumpsuits from "Destructive Nature," although they're not wearing their reflective, visor-like sunglasses. We can see their eyes.

TECHNICIAN #1
Well, this is definitely the place.

TECHNICIAN #2
And there it is.

Tires crunching, the van slides to a halt opposite the hunters' Jeep. Ahead, in the headlights of both vehicles, they can see the crashed rocket. Ogilvy and Stent stand a little to one side, near their car, as the two technicians get out. Guns in the crooks of their arms casually, the hunters approach.

OGILVY
Evenin'.

TECHNICIAN #1
Evening.

He looks over the wreck, which tilts precariously a little.

TECHNICIAN #1
Looks like an old MASA rocket. Listen, you two better stand back, this thing looks like it could be dangerous.
(turning to the other technician)
Call it in.

Nodding, Technician #2 goes and reaches in through the window of the van, grabbing his radio. The hunters look annoyed. Slinging their guns by their shoulder straps, the hunters bend down and pick up rocks.

TECHNICIAN #2
(into the radio)
Retrieval team to control. It's just some old MASA rocket.

MISSION CONTROLLER
(through the radio)
Any casualties?

TECHNICIAN #2
No, nobody's hurt or anything.

There's a clang.

TECHNICIAN #2
(into the radio)
Hold on a second.
(yelling over as he sees something offscreen)
Hey!

He points. We see that Ogilvy and Stent are throwing rocks at the crashed vehicle. Technician #1, who'd been standing watching him, turns.

TECHNICIAN #1
Cut that out!

Ignoring him, they continue throwing rocks.

MISSION CONTROLLER
(through the radio)
We'll send a truck, so just sit tight. Over.

TECHNICIAN #2
(into the radio, annoyed)
Roger. Over and out.

He hangs up. He and the other technician walk over to the hunters, intending to make them quit throwing rocks.

TECHNICIAN #1
I told you guys--

He stops as something stirs inside the rocket. The hunters also freeze, each with a rock in either hand. They hear a chittering sound coming from inside the vehicle.

STENT
What was that...?

Suddenly, the Ci-Kat-A, eyes glowing red, leaps out towards them. It tackles the Technician #1, knocking him to the ground and sinking its mandibles into his throat. He screams and writhes. The hunters panic. Ogilvy unslings his rifle. As he jerks and lies still, the Ci-Kat-A gets off of him, turns and sets its sights on Technician #2, doing a flying, buzzing leap towards him. The process is repeated. The technician is tackled and bitten, his screaming and thrashing abruptly stopping.

Stent throws his own rocks at the creature, but they just bounce off of its carapace as it rises from its prone victim. With a hiss, the thing leaps off of the Enforcer and comes flying at him. Stent yells as the Ci-Kat-A hits him, knocking him down and pinning him.

STENT
(screaming)
Help me!

Chomp! Its mandibles sink into his neck. He shudders and stiffens. Ogilvy takes aim with his rifle but then lowers it again. He doesn't dare risk hitting his friend. He watches, wide-eyed, sweating. Turning, red eyes blazing, the Ci-Kat-A gets off of Stent and rushes at Ogilvy, who takes aim with his rifle and fires repeatedly. However, his aim is off due to how terrified he is, and with a flying leap the alien is upon him. It bites him.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: The Savage Swarm

Post by Kooshmeister » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 pm

EXT. CITY HALL - DAY

It's the next day,

FERAL
(V.O.)
Absolutely not!

CALLIE BRIGGS and MAYOR MANX are in fancy "steppin' out" clothes. A long gown for Callie and a tuxedo for Manx. The Mayor is futzing with his bowtie in a mirror. He can't seem to get it right. Standing nearby is COMMANDER FERAL, who is very angry.

FERAL
I absolutely forbid it!

MANX
(curt)
YOU forbid it...?

Feral winces and changes tactics.

FERAL
What I mean is, I've already knuckled under in allowing those hotshots the SWAT Kats to attend, but I insist that you allow my Enforcers to provide security at the ceremony!

Manx goes back to messing with his tie. He isn't paying attention to Feral anymore.

MANX
Curse this tie! We're going to be late!

CALLIE
Commander, may I remind you that the Aqueons are extreme pacifists who don't like the sight of weapons and machines of war?

Feral crosses his arms, scowling.

FERAL
I know! But not one single tank or patrol car on hand...?

MANX
(frustrated)
Rrggg! Feral! If you're concerned about your darned Enforcers having a presence, you'll be up there on the stage with us--

FERAL
(protesting)
That isn't the point, sir--

CALLIE
Mr. Mayor, I don't think that's what--

MANX
(ignoring them both)
--and that niece of yours will be flying an escort squadron for these Aqueons when they arrive.
(chuckles, then turns serious)
An unarmed escort.

Manx narrows his eyes at Feral in the reflection of the mirror.

MANX
I will not risk offending the Aqueon Ambassador. Or the royal family.

Manx still hasn't gotten the tie right, so, with another sigh, Callie walks over and ties it for him. He smiles his thanks, then returns to preening in the mirror.

MANX
Besides, all this discussion is purely academic. The lack of any visible weaponry was a request from the Ambassador himself. And what the Aqueon Ambassador wants, the Aqueon Ambassador gets. Understand, Feral? If you think I'm blowing the intergalactic deal of the century just because you're a little paranoid, you've got another thing coming.

Feral just growls and storms out of the office. Callie watches him go, then sighs. Manx smirks.

MANX
And as for you, Callie, those SWAT Kats better be on their best behavior. I don't want them embarrassing me in front of the aliens.

CALLIE
Don't worry, Mr. Mayor, there'll be no danger of that.

As Manx returns to admiring his own reflection, waggling his eyebrows in a "Hey good lookin'" kinda way, Callie, rolling her eyes, slips out of the room.

INT. CITY HALL - HALLWAY

Callie steps out, leaving the office door open. Feral is by the elevator. He presses the "down" button. Clearing her throat, Callie walks over to him.

CALLIE
Commander Feral, you really have nothing to worry about. The Aqueons are peaceful.

FERAL
(annoyed)
It's not them that concerns me, Ms. Briggs. It's those who might hate them and fear them and try to attack them because they're aliens. It's my duty to protect any dignitaries visiting Megakat City... regardless of who and what they are and where they came from. I can't do that if I don't have my forces ready at hand.

Callie sighs, seeing that the Commander has a point.

CALLIE
(attempting to be conciliatory)
MASA has its own security guards.

FERAL
(dismissively)
Bah!

Feral turns and gestures with one hand as if the idea of MASA's guards being competent at their job is a foreign concept to him.

FERAL
Rent-a-cops!

Callie sighs again. She hates having to be the mediator between the prideful, stupid Manx and the hot-tempered Feral. Suddenly, she smiles.

CALLIE
You know, Commander...

She leans in conspiratorially. Feral blinks and turns to look down at her.

CALLIE
...the Mayor only said you couldn't have your men on MASA's property. Which, last time I checked, ended more or less at the front gate.

Feral's scowl deepens and for a moment he seems about to protest that this is nothing but the same kind of "wiggle room" the Deputy Mayor gives his hated rivals, the SWAT Kats, but then merely nods. The elevator doors swing open. Without saying anything else, he gets on and stands there wordlessly as the elevator doors slide shut. There's a "ding." Going and pulling the door of Manx's office shut, Callie takes out her communicator and activates it.

INT. GARAGE - JAKE'S BEDROOM

The alarm blares. Jake jerks awake and launches out of bed like someone lit a fire under him. He's in nothing but a pair of black boxer shorts.

INT. GARAGE - HALLWAY

Jake charges down the hallway, a weird mixture of groggy but alert. He stops at Chance's bedroom door.

JAKE
Chance--

He can see Chance's bed hasn't been slept in. Growling, Jake turns and runs off down the hall again.

INT. GARAGE - LIVING ROOM

The alarm stops. Jake comes downstairs and finds Chance watching TV and talking on the communicator. The Scaredy-Kat marathon is still going.

CALLIE
(over the comm)
Sorry to wake you guys up so early, but I was just too excited!

CHANCE
(into the comm)
So what's up, Ms. Briggs? How are things down at City Hall?

CALLIE
(over the comm)
Manx is... well, Manx. And Feral just got through having a roaring fit about not being allowed to have any of his men at the Space Center when the Aqueons arrive.

JAKE
(speaking a little loudly so as to be heard)
Why? What's he afraid of?

CALLIE
(over the comm)
Is that you, Razor? Well, he's concerned, in his own way, that someone might try to harm the Aqueons.

Chance laughs.

CHANCE
(into the comm)
Someone should've told 'im that the only guy who ever wanted to do that is space dust by now, and we're the ones who did it. Well, Razor did. Mostly accidentally.

Jake playfully smacks him and leans in further over his shoulder.

JAKE
(into the comm)
Point being, if there's any trouble, we can handle it. Besides, last time I checked, MASA's got a crack security force. And we oughta know. We fought a whole bunch of 'em while they were being controlled by the Ci-Kat-A.

Chance shudders.

CHANCE
(quietly)
Please don't mention that word...

Jake chuckles.

CHANCE
(into the comm)
Anything else?

CALLIE
(through the comm)
Mayor Manx was adamant that you two had better behave yourselves.

CHANCE
(into the comm)
Don't worry about Manx. We can handle that old fuddy duddy.

CALLIE
(over the comm)
Careful. That "old fuddy duddy" signs my paychecks.

On TV, the Scaredy-Kat cartoon continues. The little cartoon kat is tied up and being boiled in a big pot by a bunch of cannibalistic NATIVES wielding spears. He screams piercingly. Chance guffaws.

CALLIE
(over the comm)
Is everything okay?

CHANCE
(into the comm)
Yeah, yeah. Sorry. I was laughin' at somethin' else. Anyway, like I said, that's great news! Razor and I will be over pronto!

He hangs up. Grinning, he turns and and gives a thumbs-up to Jake.

CHANCE
Imagine that! Feral thinking anyone on this planet would ever wanna hurt the Aqueons!

On TV, we see a native WITCH DOCTOR pouring some salt into the brew used to cook Scaredy-Kat. Right as he opens his mouth to scream, Kat's Eye News cuts in, their logo filling the screen. "News Flash!" and "UFO Mania!" scroll across the bottom. Chance grumbles. The screen then cuts to ANN GORA reporting live from MASA.

ANN
(on TV)
Ann Gora, Kat's Eye News, live from the MASA Space Center as the Aqueon delegation are moments from arriving! This is truly an historic moment!

CHANCE
Yeah, so historic it cut into the latest episode of Scaredy-Kat.

JAKE
Oh, come on, buddy. You've seen that one before. And besides, the news was gonna cut in eventually.

Jake shuffles over to the fridge. Chance turns down the volume and turns to look at him.

CHANCE
You okay?

JAKE
What if Feral's right?

CHANCE
It'd be even more newsworthy than the Mayor meetin' with aliens.

JAKE
Be serious!
(sighs)
The Aqueons are a peaceful and gentle people. If someone did try to hurt them...

Chance sighs.

CHANCE
Like I said, we took care of that creep Mutilor and all of his guys are in space jail somewhere. There's not a thing on this planet right now that could ever be considered a threat to those little blue guys. At least, nothing that we can't handle.

He turns the volume back up and laughs at something funny happening to Scaredy-Kat as Jake begins making breakfast.

EXT. FOREST - DAY

The impact site of the rocket. Its engine groaning and grinding, a MASA retrieval truck pulls up to the wreck. The two jumpsuited TECHNICIANS inside frown and blink, glancing around, not seeing anyone or any other vehicles. The area is completely deserted except for the crashed rocket.

WHIP UP away from the truck over the charred and broken treetops and pan over towards the distance, zooming in on a road coming out of the forest and heading into more arid country.

EXT. COUNTRY ROAD - DAY

A dusty road out beyond the forest, heading into the desert area. The MASA van speeds along, followed by the hunters' wood-paneled Jeep station wagon. Both vehicles are driving somewhat erratically, swerving over the line and sometimes onto the median repeatedly. They weave back and forth as though their drivers are having difficulty concentrating on what they're doing.

In the lead car are the two MASA technicians from last night. Both of them now have their mirrored sunglasses on now, hiding their eyes, and grim, serious expressions on their faces. The Ci-Kat-A drone sits between them, twitching its antennae impatiently. The Kat's Eye News report has just finished up on the radio. Technician #2, riding shotgun, robotically leans over and switches it off. He and the other two stare ahead without moving, except for the drone who occasionally twitches restlessly.

TECHNICIAN #2
Did you hear? Bzzz.

TECHNICIAN #1
I did.

TECHNICIAN #2
The Aqueon filth are here. Bzzz! Bzzzzz!

TECHNICIAN #1
(annoyed but emotionless)
I said I heard. Bzzz!

TECHNICIAN #2
We must eliminate them and then get off this backwater rock. It's become too dangerous for our kind here.

The Ci-Kat-A drone between them buzzes excitedly, gripping the dashboard with its clawed hands. Its wings flutter behind it. Both technicians spare it a glance before returning their attention to the road. Keeping one hand on the wheel, Technician #1 reaches up and takes off his shades, revealing his multi-faceted, fly-like eyes. They blink and he rubs them with the hand holding the sunglasses, then puts the shades back on.

TECHNICIAN #1
(confident)
And we will. We'll eliminate the visitors and steal their ship. Then we can resume what we started years ago.

The two vehicles continue driving, passing a sign that reads "MASA Space Center: 3 Miles."
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)