Razor's Edge: Fan Script

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Razor's Edge: Fan Script

Post by Kooshmeister » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:35 pm

And here I thought I was done with these fan rewrites of episodes! Oh well. Razor's Edge is of course an episode I've long had a few problems with. And so as with The Giant Bacteria and (to a lesser extent) Chaos in Crystal before it (to say nothing of The Doctors of Doom), here is my WIP "fixed" version of one of season two's more problematic episodes. I hope everyone enjoys it. I also hope this is the last fan rewrite I do (some ideas for The Ghost Pilot aside), so I can return to writing my own original stories, like the one where Professor Hackle gets abducted by agents of a foreign power.

"Razor's Edge"

LOGLINE: Razor loses his self-confidence when he accidentally gets two innocent bystanders injured during a pursuit of Dark Kat. Will he manage to get back into the saddle, or will he quit, abandoning Megakat City to the tender mercies of Dark Kat's latest evil creation, the Black Widow?

© 2021 Kooshmeister

Written by:
Bill Hiers

DISCLAIMER: SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron is a trademark of Hanna-Barbara. This author does not own the rights to the show, its episodes, or any of its characters, and this script is not meant for monetary use. I did it just for the heck of it.

Based on the original teleplay written by Mark Saraceni.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ACT I

FADE IN

EXT. MEGAKAT SUPERCONDUCTORS - NIGHT

A large highrise. A sign out front reads "Megakat Superconductors."

INT. MEGAKAT SUPERCONDUCTORS - STORAGE AREA

A back storage area for supplies used by the facility. A triple-locked red door marked "Top Secret" is big in frame. We hear footsteps and feet enter frame. We slowly pan up to reveal a serious-looking SECURITY GUARD. He looks around. Everything seems to be on the up and up. Suddenly...

Into frame leap six KOMMANDO-KATS! These are lithe, almost simian kats dressed entirely in black tactical compression garmets except for their tails, which have purple fur. Even their heads are covered, their identities concealed by red goggles with green lenses and grilled masks over their mouths and noses. All we can tell about them is that they're male.

Though momentarily startled, the guard recovers and reaches for his laser pistol. He's barely gotten it out of the holster when the intruders attack. One of the monkey-like kommando-kats kicks the gun away. Another delivers a vicious punch to the guard's midsection. He doubles over in agony. Another socks him across the jaw, knocking his hat off.

The first kommando-kat - the one who kicked the laser pistol away - then roundhouse kicks the guard. He goes flying offscreen. The guard sails into a stack of heavy-looking shipping crates which collapse on top of him, completely burying him. Only his limp right hand is left sticking free.

Ignoring him, the evildoers approach the big door with three locks. The lead kommando-kat takes out a trio of triangular bombs and attaches one to each of the locks, then runs offscreen as they begin beeping rapidly. Boom! The door is blown inwards and the villains rush into the Top Secret room beyond.

Meanwhile, the guard stirs. He's still alive. He can't manage to get the boxes off of himself, however. His hand raises and reaches desperately for a button on the wall marked "Alarm." It falls down limply before managing to do so, however.

EXT. MEGAKAT SUPERCONDUCTORS - ROOF

A strange-looking vehicle is parked on the roof. The Black Widow is a large transport vehicle with segmented, tentacular spider-like legs ending in funnel-shaped apertures. The rear boarding ramp is down. Standing alongside are a gaggle of chittering CREEPLINGS, immediately cluing us in to who is behind this break-in.

The kommando-kats emerge from the stairwell door. To a man, they're carrying medium-sized but very heavy wooden crates marked with a lightning bolt symbol. They scurry up the Black Widow's boarding ramp silently, like a line of black-uniformed ants. A shadowy figure emerges into view inside. It is of course DARK KAT. He watches his underlings filing in.

DARK KAT
(pleased)
With this superconductive wire, the first phase of my plan is in motion. Soon I'll have all the power I need to reduce Megakat City to rubble.

INT. MEGAKAT SUPERCONDUCTORS - STORAGE AREA

The guard stirs again. He makes another try for the alarm button, and this time he succeeds. It makes a satisfying "click" and then his hand falls limply out of frame. The button begins blinking red on and off.

INT. ENFORCER HEADQUARTERS - CENTRAL OPERATIONS ROOM

An enormous backlit map of Megakat City bathes the darkened central control center of Enforcer Headquarters in a greenish glow. The overhead lights are out. Over by the bank of monitors serving as the dispatch center, a lone ENFORCER DISPATCHER wearing a headset mic sits working the graveyard shift. He glances up from his "I Hate Mondays" coffee mug to see a red dot blinking on and off on the huge map looming above him. He sets the mug aside and taps his mic on.

ENFORCER DISPATCHER
(all business)
Chopper 1! Chopper 1! Red alert!

EXT. SKIES OVER MEGAKAT CITY - NIGHT

An Enforcer chopper flies along on patrol.

ENFORCER DISPATCHER
(V.O.) (through the radio)
I repeat, red alert!

Inside the chopper are two serious-looking ENFORCER PILOTS. They're jerked into alertness by the voice coming through the radio.

ENFORCER DISPATCHER
(through the radio)
Silent alarm at Megakat Superconductors! Investigate!

ENFORCER PILOT
(with a slight British accent)
Roger that! Chopper 1 on its way!

The chopper zooms forward rapidly.

EXT. MEGAKAT SUPERCONDUCTORS - ROOF

The Enforcer vehicle approaches, flicking on its spotlight. It bathes the Black Widow in harsh brightness, although since the Enforcers are approaching from the vehicles front, they can't see Dark Kat and his Creeplings standing at the back, just inside the open rear entrance. Dark Kat is surprised but not alarmed. His Creeplings, however, go berserk, screeching in wild panic.

DARK KAT
Don't worry, my Creeplings! Nothing can stop us now!

As the last kommando-kat files in, Dark Kat presses a button. The boarding ramp swings up and closes with a metallic bang. A moment later, the vessel roars to thrumming life and begins lifting up off the rooftop. The approaching helicopter keeps a respectful distance.

ENFORCER PILOT
(over the P.A.)
Halt! You're under arrest!

Dark Kat of course ignores him. The Black Widow finishes lifting off and zooms away, the spider legs trailing limply behind it like jellyfish tentacles. Without missing a beat, the Enforcer craft pursues, firing with its side guns, but it quickly becomes apparent that the spider craft is going to escape. The British-accented Enforcer pilot scowls and pounds his fist on the control panel in frustration.

ENFORCER PILOT
NO way to catch him!

CUT TO:

EXT. SKIES OVER MEGAKAT CITY

The Turbokat zooms along. Aboard are your heroes and mine, the SWAT Kats. T-BONE frowns as he listens to the radio.

ENFORCER PILOT
(through the radio)
He's too fast!

Sitting in back, RAZOR grins, eager to kick some tail.

RAZOR
But not too fast for us, huh, T-Bone?

T-BONE
Only one way to find out! Hang on!

He pushes the throttle forward.

EXT. MEGAKAT SUPERCONDUCTORS - NIGHT

The Turbokat flies past the building.

T-BONE
And you thought tonight was gonna be a slow night!

EXT. SKIES ABOVE MEGAKAT CITY - NIGHT

The Turbokat overtakes and flies past the pursuing Enforcer chopper and quickly gains on the Black Widow. T-Bone makes a face at the thing's design.

T-BONE
Whoever this guy is, he's got a thing for spiders. Yuck!

Razor just chuckles and begins pushing buttons, trying to target the fleeing villain's craft.

In the Black Widow, Dark Kat is seated in the front control area/flight deck, which is dominated by an enormous seat that is one part plush office chair and several parts demonic crimson throne. This area is dimly lit by low purplish lighting, as is the entire interior of the vehicle. The villain frowns as an alarm goes off and the lighting turns from purple to red. The attendant Creeplings chitter nervously. On a small monitor placed ahead of and slightly below Dark Kat's seat, we see an image of the Turbokat (as seen from a rear camera on the spider craft).

DARK KAT
The SWAT Kats!

Although the Creeplings are once again extremely agitated, shrieking and scampering around, and even the kommando-kats, lingering behind Dark Kat's seat in the huge vessel's rear cargo area, look a little uneasy, Dark Kat himself is merely annoyed.

DARK KAT
How irritating. As usual, sticking their noses in where they don't belong.
(soothingly to the Creeplings)
A minor setback easily remedied.

Between his legs is a large thick metal steering stick with a huge handle that has two buttons on top of it, one off white, the other red. This Dark Kat has been holding and he now pushes it forwards gently. The Black Widow shoots forward with the Turbokat in hot pursuit. The Enforcer chopper continues following although it is lagging behind. In the jet, Razor tries to line up a shot on the spider craft as Dark Kat dives down towards the riverfront. T-Bone's right on his tail.

RAZOR
Stay on him, T-Bone!

T-BONE
He won't shake this tail!

EXT. MEGAKAT RIVER - NIGHT

The Black Widow zooms down low over the river. We can see the full moon brilliantly reflected in the water as the two aircraft fly along. Up ahead, a train trestle spans the river. The spider craft flies low between the water and the underside of the trestle with the Turbokat right behind as a high-tech Japanese-style bullet train shoots along the tracks up above them. Blinking, the ENGINEER glances out his window as the chase flies by beneath him.

INT. BULLET TRAIN - NIGHT

Various PASSENGERS on a late-night commute rush to the windows and look out.

PASSENGER #1
What was that?

PASSENGER #2
Look! The SWAT Kats!

PASSENGER #3
Hey, yeah, it is the SWAT Kats?

PASSENGER #4
I wonder who they're chasing?

As they watch, we see the Enforcer chopper come in from above the train car's window frame, having elected to go above the trestle rather than under it.

EXT. MEGAKAT RIVER - NIGHT

The train finishes whipping past as we see the Enforcer chopper reflected in the mirror-like shine of the windows. Up ahead, the Turbokat is closing the distance rapidly. Razor continues pressing buttons. In a bid to evade his pursuers, Dark Kat flies up and away from the river and over the tops of buildings towards a particularly tall skyscraper.

EXT. SKYSCRAPER - NIGHT

The Black Widow flies around the tall building in a corkscrew maneuver which finishes at the top. However, T-Bone matches Dark Kat perfectly, never once losing sight of him. The spider craft then continues on over the increasingly lower and lower rooftops.

EXT. WAREHOUSE DISTRICT - NIGHT

This area is on the outskirts of the city and is almost entirely industrial and has more than a few abandoned buildings. One in particular is important:

EXT. ABANDONED WAREHOUSE - NIGHT

An old wooden warehouse that looks like it saw better days a century or two ago. It sags and looks close to falling down under its own weight, abandoned so long ago there is no signage on it of note. As the Black Widow nears it, we see an ELDERLY COUPLE out walking, passing by the weed-filled old parking lot. They're both wearing jogging outfits consisting of hoodies and sweatpants. The pause in their walk and glance up as the huge shadow of the spider vehicle falls over them.

Closeup on Razor's targeting scope. He's got Dark Kat in his sights now!

RAZOR
Just a little closer...
(his instruments beep)
I'm on him! Octopus Missiles... deployed!

Whoosh! Two Octopus Missiles launch forward and fly straight and true towards Dark Kat's vehicle. In the villain's cockpit, alarms are going off. The Creeplings are having a coniption. Dark Kat grips his steering stick tightly as he flies low over the old warehouse.

Dark Kat waits until the last moment and then jerks the stick up. The descending Octopus Missiles just barely miss the Black Widow's engines and slam into the roof, punching two holes through the rotten wood. Blam! They hit the floor and the sides of the structure explode outward violently, and then the whole thing collapses in a big heap of rotten wood planking and rusted metal, sending up a huge cloud of dust which the Turbokat dramatically zooms through.

RAZOR
Crud! Missed 'im!

The Black Widow zooms over the low roofs with our heroes in hot pursuit. Behind the Turbokat, though, we see the Enforcer chopper suddenly exit the chase, veering offscreen to the right (our left). The SWAT Kats don't notice, however.

RAZOR
Luckily I got more where those came from!

He once more targets the Black Widow.

RAZOR
Locked...

His thumb hovers over the firing button.

RAZOR
...loaded... depl--

He's cut off as a familiar British-accented voice comes through the radio.

ENFORCER PILOT
(through the radio)
This is Chopper 1! We need paramedics in Sector 12! We’ve got civilian casualties in a collapsed warehouse!

Razor looks startled. T-Bone frowns and turns to glance back at his partner.

RAZOR
Casualties?

T-BONE
(grim)
Doesn't sound good, buddy...

In the Black Widow, Dark Kat is confused.

DARK KAT
Something's wrong. Why aren't they firing?

Deciding not to look this gift horse in the mouth, he jerks the steering mechanism forward. The background outside the cockpit windows whooshes past, indicating that he's diving down. Back in the Turbokat, by the time T-Bone turns back around, their prey is already gone; from his P.O.V. we can see nothing but the nighttime Megakat City skyline as far as the eye can see.

T-BONE
Where'd that creepy spider thing go? Cripes, we lost 'im!

RAZOR
(a little distant)
Maybe we should double back to that abandoned warehouse. I guess it wasn't so abandoned...

The Turbokat whips around and heads back the way they came.

Emergency services have arrived, along with the Enforcers. We see several ambulances and a fire truck as well as a veritable armada of Enforcer cruisers, their lights flashing. ENFORCER CRIME SCENE TECHS are combing through the gutted remains of the destroyed building, being overseen by FELINA FERAL. A YOUNG COUPLE lingers nearby, separated from the property by a string of Enforcer do-not-cross crime scene barriers. The man is compact-looking but athletic, with short black hair. The woman, who we take to be his girlfriend, has very angular features and long, straight reddish hair.

The Kat's Eye News van drives up and parks. ANN GORA gets out along with JONNY K., who aims his video camera at Ann.

JONNY
We're rollin', Ann.

ANN
This is Ann Gora of Kat’s Eye News, live from the site of a spectacular disaster.

She glances at something offscreen to her left. The elderly couple from earlier are being carried past on stretchers by PARAMEDICS. They appear to be in quite a lot of pain. Ann rushes over and gently speaks to the old woman.

ANN
We're with the victims of the accident. Can you tell us what happened?

The elderly woman can only groan in pain. Her husband pipes up.

ELDERLY MAN
(pained)
We was just passin' by on our evening walk when the SWAT Kats flew by chasin' some kinda weird spider thing and then boom! The whole place dropped down on us!

He falls back onto the stretcher with a gasp, unable to continue. That took a lot out of him. The paramedics carry the couple past where COMMANDER FERAL stands with SERGEANT TALON. They watch them first responders go with their burden, scowling angrily. Ann rushes into shot and sticks her microphone in Feral's face. Feral eyes the thing like he wants to bite it and the hand holding it.

ANN
Commander Feral, have the Enforcers determined how this accident occurred?

FERAL
(boiling)
This was no accident! It was the work of those two irresponsible hotshots, the SWAT Kats!

Ann blinks at this accusation. Behind her, we can see that so does Felina, over supervising the crime scene techs.

As the Turbokat nears the scene, we can see that T-Bone and Razor are listening in to the news broadcast.

RAZOR
(horrified)
But... it was an accident!

Back down on the ground by the destroyed warehouse:

ANN
(carefully)
Surely you're not suggesting that the SWAT Kats intended to hurt innocent civilians?

FERAL
Accident or not, the SWAT Kats are responsible! They're dangerous vigilantes! A menace to society, accountable to no one!

Sergeant Talon nods along in agreement. We can see the young couple standing in the background behind him. Walking over, Felina rolls her eyes. Suddenly, the young couple hop the barrier and rush over.

YOUNG MAN
(with a slight accent)
We witnessed the whole thing!

Talon moves to stop them but Feral waves him off.

FERAL
Let them speak!

Talon growls but relents. The young man continues, talking fast, breathlessly. His accent is vaguely European and difficult to place, but negligible enough that it goes unremarked upon.

YOUNG MAN
The SWAT Kats are the ones who blew up that building!

FELINA
What? Was it an accident?

YOUNG WOMAN
(she has the same accent as her boyfriend)
No! They did it on purpose! Long after that spider guy had passed by!

YOUNG MAN
Yeah, I think they did it for fun!

In the Turbokat:

T-BONE
What's that guy talkin' about...?

RAZOR
(nearly speechless)
I dunno!

Down below, Felina looks astounded. Feral, however, is beyond enraged. He balls his huge hands up into fists.

FERAL
I always knew it! I knew it! Those reckless hotshots!

Feral's rant is interrupted as the Turbokat roars by overhead. He turns to shake a fist up at it.

FERAL
There they are now, returning to the scene of their crime!

RAZOR
Maybe we should g-go down and explain...

T-BONE
Why bother? Feral doesn't exactly look like he's in a listenin' mood. Besides, with those eyewitnesses, we're already guilty in his eyes.

The jet turns and flies off.

FERAL
You can run but you can't hide, SWAT Kats!

The young couple smirks, which goes unnoticed by everyone. Feral growls and turns to talk directly into Jonny's camera.

FERAL
If it's the last thing I do, I swear to bring the SWAT Kats to justice!

EXT. GARAGE - NIGHT

Establishing shot of the garage. We can hear a news report playing on the TV.

NEWSCASTER
(V.O.)
There you have it, viewers.

INT. GARAGE - LIVING ROOM

The lights are off. JAKE CLAWSON sits on the sofa watching TV, lit only by the glow coming from the set. Onscreen, we can see a handsome male NEWSCASTER sitting behind a desk. A still image of the destroyed warehouse occupies the upper righthand corner of the screen.

NEWSCASTER
(on TV)
Two innocent civilians, married couple of forty years, Max and Valerie Clawver, have been seriously injured, apparently as a result of deliberate actions taken by the SWAT Kats.

Already slumped down a little, Jake sinks a little lower.

NEWSCASTER
(on TV)
We go now to the footage taken at the scene where our own Ann Gora managed to interview two eyewitnesses to the incident.

The screen cuts to Ann interviewing the couple. "Recorded Earlier" flashes along the bottom. CALLIE BRIGGS lingers in the background, arms crossed. We can see her green car parked behind the Enforcer barricade behind her.

ANN
(on TV)
And you say the SWAT Kats did this deliberately...?

She seems a little doubtful. The couple, however, are adamant.

YOUNG MAN
(on TV)
You bet!

Beside him, his girlfriend is smirking visibly. Her boyfriend continues, gesturing broadly as he talks.

YOUNG MAN
(on TV)
Right as that old couple--

ANN
(on TV)
Mr. and Mrs. Clawver.

YOUNG MAN
(on TV)
--right. Right as the Clawvers were passing by that old warehouse, the SWAT Kats launched two of their stupid missiles at it. Kaboom!

He spreads his arms wide, miming an explosion. His girlfriend shakes her head. Behind them, Callie is aghast. She begins approaching.

ANN
(on TV)
And the SWAT Kats. What did they do next?

The young woman shoulders past her boyfriend.

YOUNG WOMAN
(on TV)
They just kept right on flying as if it didn't even matter to them!

Callie interjects at this point.

CALLIE
(on TV)
But they flew back to the scene after they realized they must've hurt someone.

The young couple both scowl bitterly.

YOUNG WOMAN
(on TV)
Yes! To survey their handiwork! We've always agreed with Commander Feral that the SWAT Kats are nothing but criminals who enjoy causing destruction for its own sake!

Her boyfriend nods. Callie blinks. Even Feral has never said that. She attempts to say so.

CALLIE
(on TV)
But even Commander Feral--

YOUNG MAN
(on TV) (interrupts)
I'm tellin' ya, people of Megakat City...

He lifts a finger, pointing directly into the camera, seemingly at Jake, who is watching and couldn't looking even more unhappy.

YOUNG MAN
(on TV)
...the SWAT Kats are no good and never have been!

Jake sighs. The screen changes back to the newscaster.

NEWSCASTER
(on TV)
Mayor Manx had this to say.

Cut to a view of the front steps of City Hall. Kat's Eye News reporter TAB MOUSER is interviewing MAYOR MANX. Behind him stands DISTRICT ATTORNEY MILLS, a tall, polished-looking red-haired kat in an expensive suit. Manx looks positively alive and giddy to in front of the cameras. Mills, however, fidgets uncertainly. He doesn't like the spotlight.

TAB
(on TV)
Mr. Mayor, what does City Hall have to say about the SWAT Kats' actions?

At this, Manx's confidence vanishes. He doesn't like having to give concrete one-way-or-the-other answers for the record.

MANX
(on TV) (stammering)
Um, uh, well, y'see, there, Tab, City Hall is behind Commander Feral 100%!

TAB
(on TV) (pressing)
So if it is determined that the accusations against the SWAT Kats are true, a warrant will be issued for their arrest?

Manx stammers some more. Rolling his eyes, Mills steps forward.

MILLS
(on TV)
I'm sure that what Mayor Manx is trying to say, Tab, is that any action we take is dependent upon confirmation from the Enforcers' investigation that the SWAT Kats are indeed responsible for intentionally inflicting those grievous injuries upon Mr. and Mrs. Clawver.

Manx blinks, then grins and nods, jerking a thumb at the D.A.

MANX
(on TV)
Eh-eh, what he said.

At this point, CHANCE FURLONG enters. He looks at the slumped Jake, then at the TV.

CHANCE
What're you doin' sitting here in the dark like this...?

He flicks on the light. Jake flinches a little at the sudden brightness.

CHANCE
(jerking a thumb at the TV)
And why are you torturing yourself by listening to those jokers...?

Picking up the remote, he mutes, but doesn't turn off, the TV. He sets it aside and has a seat beside Jake on the couch, frowning.

JAKE
I still can't believe I hurt those people...

CHANCE
(sympathetic)
I feel bad, too. But it was an accident. We were in pursuit of a really dangerous criminal.

JAKE
(still moping)
But I'm the one who fired!

He sits up and points at himself, his face twisted into an expression of anger and sorrow. Chance's frown deepens.

CHANCE
It. Was. An. Accident.

Jake stands and walks over to the door but doesn't leave. He merely stands in the doorway.

CHANCE
(trying to help)
We've failed to save people before...

JAKE
That isn't the same thing and you know it. And it's happened before.

CHANCE
(disbelieving)
When...? We've never gotten anyone hurt or killed that we know of before...

JAKE
(insistent)
What about those two guys in Feral's tank?

Chance blinks. Jake walks back over.

JAKE
Remember? When Hard Drive was joyriding around the Puma-Dyne parking lot in that weirdo experimental Enforcer tank? The Behemoth?

CHANCE
Oh yeah, that thing.

JAKE
When we made Hard Drive lose control of it, he drove over Feral's tank. Feral leaped free, but now the guys driving the thing.

There's a hitch in his throat.

JAKE
It was technically our fault they got killed.

Chance sighs and rolls his eyes.

CHANCE
Indirectly.

Chance scowls and rises from the sofa.

JAKE
Chance, come on...

CHANCE
Look, Jake, those guys were Enforcers. They--

JAKE
(interrupting coldly)
Knew the risks? That is what you were gonna say, wasn't it?

Chance looks suddenly ashamed. Rubbing the back of his head.

JAKE
And anyway, "we" didn't get them get killed. I did. It was my Scrambler Missiles and I fired them. Just like I fired those two Octopus Missiles tonight. And missed.

Chance is fuming. He is angry because he hates seeing his friend getting like this and isn't sure what to say to make him feel better.

CHANCE
You've been listening to those two idiots too much.

He gestures at the TV, which is showing Ann's interview with the young couple again.

JAKE
Maybe they're right... at least about us being more of a menace than a help.

Chance's jaw drops. Before the argument can continue, something catches his attention. He turns to look at the TV. The screen is now glowing bright blue as a graphic reading "Kat's Eye News Flash" appears. Holding up a hand for silence, Chance grabs the remote and unmutes the TV. We hear the newscaster's voice.

NEWSCASTER
(V.O.) (on TV)
Attention, viewers! We've just received word about another armed robbery taking place at Katalytic Laboratories.

The screen changes to show a view of a high-tech research facility.

NEWSCASTER
(V.O.) (on TV)
This is apparently the work of the same intruders who earlier robbed Megakat Superconductors.

Chance is out of his seat in a flash, the remote clattering to the table. He rushes for the door.

CHANCE
Come on! We can argue about the ethics of being vigilantes later! Looks like we're gonna get another shot at this guy!

JAKE
(a little less enthusiastic)
I just hope I don't miss again...

CHANCE
(not really having heard)
Huh?

JAKE
Nothing, nothing...

He hurries after Chance.
Last edited by Kooshmeister on Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: Razor's Edge: Fan Script

Post by Kooshmeister » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:50 pm

EXT. KATALYTIC LABORATORIES - NIGHT

Enforcer cruisers and Peacekeeper tanks surround the building. We can see the Black Widow on the roof with its rear boarding ramp down.

INT. KATALYTIC LABORATORIES - HALLWAY

Push in on a blown-open reinforced metal door marked "Top Secret."

INT. KATALYTIC LABORATORIES - MAIN LAB

A high-tech facility, the center of which is a large device called the Mega-Katalytic Konverter. A group of kommando-kats, wielding tools, enters shot and begins advancing on the Konverter with the intent of dismantling it.

EXT. KATALYTIC LABORATORIES - NIGHT

As the Enforcer ground troops enter the building, a squadron of five choppers approaches. Feral and Felina are in the lead one.

FERAL
(grim)
Whoever you are, you're gonna pay for this.
(into his helmet mic)
All choppers, move in!

FELINA
(eager)
Roger! Let's nail 'im!

Feral manages a small grin with something akin to paternal pride.

As the Enforcers approach, the kommando-kats exit the stairwell door on the lab roof carrying several hastily thrown-together wooden crates containing the dismantled device. As laser fire peppers the roof, they scurry towards the waiting Black Widow.

Sitting up front in his fearsome command chair, surrounded by Creeplings, Dark Kat grins wickedly over his shoulder as his underlings get aboard with the stolen parts.

DARK KAT
With this Mega-Katalytic Konverter, I'll have all I need to destroy this putrid excuse for a city! From the ashes will rise Dark Kat City, my capitol of crime!
(to the lead kommando-kat)
You're sure you got every last component?

The lead kommando-kat nods.

DARK KAT
Excellent!

He turns around in the chair and begins flipping buttons. The boarding rises and slams shut after the last kommando-kat and the spider craft's VTOL engines power up. The vehicle begins to rise. He laughes evilly and the Creeplings chitter excitedly. The Enforcer choppers zoom after him. He flicks a switch. A big swivel gun emerges from the top of the Black Widow, pointing back at the pursuing helicopters. This weapon has two barrels, one over, one under. One of Dark Kat's clawed thumbs moves up to the top of the steering stick and presses the red button.

The gun fires twice. Pew! Pew! A red laser shoots out and hits two of the Enforcer choppers dead center. They explode, metal flying everywhere, and drop out of the sky to crash noisily offscreen far below.

Gritting his teeth, Feral signals with his hand and Felina pushes the control yoke forwards. Her and her uncle's chopper zoom off in pursuit of the Black Widow, followed by the remaining two. They fire, pelting the armored spider craft with the lasers. It doesn't seem to do anything except annoy Dark Kat, who selects and presses the off white button on the vehicle's control stick. The barrels on the gun rotate so that the bottom one is now on the top and it fires, not a laser, but a thick, sticky white gunk resembling a particularly runny spider web or perhaps an especially liquidy glue.

Blap, blap, blap! Three globs of this disgusting gunk fly at the approaching helicopters and ensnare their rotor blades. Try as they might, the blades can't turn, held fast. The copters drop. Fortunately, they're able to crashland on a rooftop with no damage beyond denting the underbelly and bending the rear wheel struts. We see the Enforcers - Feral and Felina in particular - emerge from their downed craft shaken but alive.

In the Black Widow, Dark Kat is especially pleased. His little viewscreen shows the crashed copters on the roof.

DARK KAT
So much for the Enforcers.

The Turbokat zooms into view on the screen.

DARK KAT
The SWAT Kats!

The Creeplings chitter anxiously.

DARK KAT
Don't worry, my Creeplings. If I'm right, then what I've put into motion since our last encounter with these pests will ensure that a certain Mr. Razor doesn't fire a single shot at us!

The Black Widow zooms along at top side with the Turbokat right behind it.

EXT. SKYSCRAPER - NIGHT

As before, the villain attempts to lose his pursuers by flying around a skyscraper, but T-Bone refuses to be shaken.

T-Bone closes the distance between them and the spider craft.

T-BONE
You won't get away from us this time, buddy!
(over his shoulder)
It's all yours, Razor! Take 'im down!

Razor frowns, still looking uncertain. He taps some buttons on his control panel and lines up a direct shot on the Black Widow through his target scope. His finger hovers over the firing button and... he hesitates! His frown deepens and he begins to sweat nervously a little bit. His hesitation doesn't go unnoticed.

T-BONE
What are you waiting for?!

RAZOR
(pained)
What if he dives out of the way again? What if I miss?

T-BONE
You've got to stop blaming yourself!

Ahead, Dark Kat loops up and around and comes down directly behind the Turbokat.

DARK KAT
He who hesitates is lost!

He presses a button and two front guns emerge from the Black Widow and fire twin torrents of the glop-like webbing directly into the Turbokat's engines, clogging them up completely. The jet makes a muffled whining noise and then the nose begins dipping down as it starts losing thrust. In the cockpit, T-Bone fights with the controls.

T-BONE
The thrusters are clogged! We're losing power!

He gasped as he sees they're in an uncontrolled dive towards a roof.

EXT. BUILDING - NIGHT

An office building of modest size with a rooftop helipad. The helipad may as well be a bullseye because the out of control Turbokat is diving right towards it!

T-BONE
We're going down!

FADE OUT

END OF ACT I
1 x

Cody Furlong
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Cody Furlong » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:09 pm

Awesome rework so far! Keep up the amazing worrk!
2 x
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:35 pm

Great job so far, but I have to point out some typos and a missing word...
Kooshmeister wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:35 pm
Chaos Crystal
Kooshmeister wrote:
CHANCE
It. As. An. Accident.
Kooshmeister wrote:
JAKE
Remember? When Hard Drivr was joyriding around the Puma-Dyne parking lot in that weirdo experimental Enforcer tank?
Kooshmeister wrote:
JAKE
(interupting coldly)
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:43 am

Fixed! RazorHappyCait
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 pm

Thank you kindly!
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:46 pm

ACT II

EXT. BUILDING - NIGHT

We FADE IN on the Turbokat diving down towards the roof in a dramatic shot, trailing rivulets of the sticky webbing behind itself like disgusting tinsel or party streamers. In the cockpit, T-Bone is straining, pulling on the steering stick, gritting his teeth in desperation, eyes scrunched shut. Behind him, a wide-eyed Razor is bracing himself against the canopy frame for the impending impact.

RAZOR
Might I suggest--

T-BONE
(angry)
Not one word about ejecting!
(grimly resolved)
Either I pull us outta this dive or we're crashlanding on that roof!

Razor winces. T-Bone hasn't said it was his fault. Yet. But he doesn't need to.

T-BONE
(strained)
Come on, baby!

He presses some buttons and then pushes the throttle forwards as far as it'll go. The roof draws ever nearer.

T-BONE
Maximum thrusters!

That does the trick. The engines roar and manage to blow the webbing out. The sickly white goo sprays out every which way like boogers being sneezed from someone's nose. With that seen to, T-Bone jerks up harder on the stick and the Turbokat swoops up, narrowly avoiding colliding with the roof.

EXT. SKIES ABOVE MEGAKAT CITY - NIGHT

Both SWAT Kats breathe a huge sigh of relief.

T-BONE
(calmer but still angry)
All right, now where's--

The Black Widow is nowhere in sight.

T-BONE
Nuts! That flying spider pulled its disappearing act again!

Razor slumps his shoulders, looking down at his lap.

RAZOR
(softly, barely audible)
I'm sorry...

T-BONE
Huh?

RAZOR
(louder)
I said I'm sorry!

T-BONE
(really mad)
So am I!

Razor winces and sinks down in his seat a little more. T-Bone turns the jet around and begins flying them back home.

T-BONE
(more to himself than anything)
You were so worried about hurting someone else you almost got us killed!

Razor straightens a bit.

RAZOR
(defensive)
So...? What's wrong with being careful?

T-BONE
There's such a thing as being TOO careful! I...
(he trails off and scoffs)
We'll discuss it once we're back at the hangar. Where YOU'RE gonna help me clean that gunk outta the engines!

Razor sinks back down in his seat again, depressed.

INT. SWAT KATS' HIDEOUT - HANGAR

It's later. The jet sits in the hydraulic lift, which is currently lowered down into the launch area of the hideout. Standing on a stepladder, T-Bone is scrubbing vigorously at the engine intakes at the rear of the jet. A bucket of soapy water sits perched preaciously on the ladder's folding shelf. There's suds and bubbles everywhere. In addition, crumpled pages from the late edition of the Megakat Times lie scattered around on the floor amidst puddles of water. The big SWAT Kat is grunting and groaning as he really lays into the engines, trying to wash away the sticky spider web gunk. Although he's making progress, it's slow going. Razor is nowhere to be seen.

T-BONE
(grumbling)
Ech, and I thought the Ci-Kat-A puke was disgusting...

He pauses, lifting one hand. It drips in a mixture of soapy water and the runny white gunk. He shudders in disgust and resumes scrubbing.

T-BONE
(under his breath)
Why'd this guy have to pick a spider theme? Bugs, bugs, bugs! I hate bugs! Sticky, nasty...
(calls over his shoulder)
Razor! Get in here! I'm not scrubbing this sticky crud up all by myself!
(sighs)
Even though I think I got most of it out...

We hear an engine revving. Razor drives into view on the Cyclotron and stops. T-Bone stops working and turns to look at him, raising an eyebrow.

RAZOR
Then you won't be needing me for a while.

T-BONE
And where are you going?

RAZOR
I dunno. Out.

T-BONE
"Out?"

He tosses the sponge he's been using into the bucket with a plop and starts climbing down.

RAZOR
I need some fresh air. Time to think.

T-BONE
About what...?

RAZOR
What I'm gonna do with my life.

T-Bone, getting off the ladder, doesn't lik where this is going. Grabbing a rag, he begins wiping his hands.

T-BONE
(gently)
Look, Razor, I know I got angry before, but--

RAZOR
Maybe it's time this became a Radical Squadron of one.

T-Bone reels at this, standing there gawking while holding the rag.

RAZOR
First those two Enforcers... then that old couple... and now my gutless hesitation almost got both of us killed, too.

T-BONE
Razor, you can't quit! You--
(winces and sighs)
Look, we knew going into this it was always a risk that bystanders might get hurt. Or worse. And the same thing would've happened if we'd stayed in the Enforcers and by some miracle Feral had let us fly again. Accidents happen. I know they're awful but there's just sometimes nothing you can do about it.

RAZOR
It's one thing when it's a hypothetical. But when it actually happens...

T-Bone frowns, seeing his friend is really having an emotional crisis.

RAZOR
Those Enforcers were one thing. As bad at that was, this is worse. I didn't have to look at them on the news being carted out of a building I blew up. But with this poor old couple, the Clawvers... well, it's really bringing a lot of things home for me.

T-BONE
You think you're the only one who's ever screwed up? People miss.

RAZOR
Not me. Not "Sureshot" Clawson.

He drives the Cyclotron around, heading for the exit.

T-BONE
Hey, what happens if that spidery creep shows up again...?

RAZOR
You'll handle it better without me. I'm only putting you and innocent people in danger.

Revving the engine, he speeds off. T-Bone holds out one hand, still coated in the sticky webbing.

T-BONE
Razor, wait!

But Razor has already zoomed off.

T-BONE
Aw, crud. Man... this whole thing has really gotten him rattled.

He looks down at the newspaper and picks up the front page, showing an article about the building being destroyed, complete with a big black and white photo of the destroyed warehouse.

T-BONE
Hmm. Maybe if I can go down there and find something proving he isn't to blame, he'll come to his senses.

EXT. CITY HALL - NIGHT

Establishing shot of the clocktower against the night sky, the moon big in the background.

MANX
(V.O.)
This is a PR nightmare!

INT. CITY HALL - MANX'S OFFICE

Mayor Manx paces around restlessly. Observing him are Callie and D.A. Mills.

MANX
It's all over the news!

On his desk is the same copy of Megakat Times T-Bone had.

MANX
And that's just the late edition! Imagine what those muckracking journalists will do with this once they've had time to think up some REALLY good copy!

He gestures broadly with one hand, as though marking out an imaginary headline in the air.

MANX
"SWAT Kats Slaughter Senior Citizens!"

CALLIE
(dryly)
The Clawvers are still alive, Mr. Mayor.

Mills looks at her.

MILLS
I don't think it matters. The Mayor has tacitly endorsed the SWAT Kats on multiple occasions. They've caused massive property damage before... and then there was that incident involving the Behemoth and the two men in Commander Feral's tank--

CALLIE
(bristling)
I'm well aware of that, Mr. Mills. As tragic as that was, it was still mostly Hard Drive's fault. The SWAT Kats had no way of determining which way the Behemoth would go once he lost control of it.

MILLS
(conceding)
A fair point.
(he lifts a finger)
But now we have an incident where by accident or design the incident is unquestionably the SWAT Kats' fault. And, worse, we have two very photogenic faces. The Clawvers are upstanding citizens. A kindly old grandma and grandpa. And we've got witnesses.
(he sighs)
Even if the SWAT Kats aren't to blame... the optics on this is awful.

CALLIE
I realize that, Mills, but--

MANX
(interrupting)
I've heard enough! Mr. Mills, swear out a warrant for the SWAT Kats' arrest! Tell Commander Feral I want them in cuffs before morning!

Callie and the D.A. wince and recoil.

MILLS
(aghast)
Right now...? But, sir, what about the robberies?

CALLIE
The District Attorney is right! Whoever is piloting that spider vehicle is a much bigger threat than the SWAT Kats. No matter what Feral and those so-called eyewitnesses claim, at worst, what the SWAT Kats did was an accident.

MILLS
Exactly, Mr. Mayor. THIS maniac is robbing research labs left and right deliberately and shooting down the Enforcers. Surely he is a bigger priority.

Manx flops into his chair and sighs, looking thoroughly emotionally worn out.

MANX
Fine. After this villain is taken care of then.

Nodding, Mills leaves the room and Callie follows him.

INT. CITY HALL - HALLWAY

Callie and the D.A. walk down the hall.

CALLIE
Thanks. I appreciate what you did back there.

MILLS
I didn't do it for you. Or for the SWAT Kats. I did it for Megakat City. Better that the Mayor focuses on an actual threat and not two reckless vigilantes clumsily trying to make the world a better place.
(sighs)
I don't want to have to do it, Callie, but I will see to it Feral arrests the SWAT Kats if Manx orders me to.

CALLIE
But in the meantime, they've been granted a stay of execution, so to speak. I've got time to prove they're innocent.

MILLS
If I were you, I'd start with that warehouse and see if it really blew up due to their missiles. And take a good, hard look at these so-called eyewitnesses. If you ask me, they seem to have some kinda grudge against your heroes.

EXT. LARGE WAREHOUSE - NIGHT

A big warehouse sitting on the outskirts of town. It isn't run down. A sign on the locked gate reads "Private Property."

INT. LARGE WAREHOUSE - HANGAR AREA

Dark Kat watches as the kommando-kats assemble the Mega-Katalytic Konverter and install it in the Black Widow. They're making various modifications to the vehicle, so that it is as least twice as large as it was before. In particular, they appear to be reinforcing the tentacular limbs so that they can be used as actual legs to allow the vehicle to stand up and walk rather than fly.

DARK KAT
I’m almost ready to strike.

Reaching inside his robes, he takes out a communicator.

DARK KAT
(into the comm)
This is Dark Kat. Report, Castorp.

The face of the young male eyewitness from the crime scene appears on a tiny screen.

YOUNG MAN
Yes sir. Ilsa and I have been doing as you instructed. It wasn't easy on such short notice, but as soon as you called us we got down to the warehouse district and started selling the version of events you wanted.

DARK KAT
Indeed. I've seen the two of you on the news. Just be careful not to oversell it, lest someone get suspicious of you.

YOUNG MAN
Yes sir. What are your further instructions for us?

Dark Kat ponders a moment, watching the assembly of the newer, bigger, badder Black Widow as his mental gears turn. Then he grins.

DARK KAT
Go to the hospital. Kill the old couple. Blame it on the SWAT Kats.

YOUNG MAN
As you command, Dark Kat.

He severs the communication and Dark Kat pockets it. Nearby, the kommando-kats have finished. With a clanking, whirring whine, the enormous spider vehicle rises up on its eight segmented mechanical legs.

DARK KAT
The time has come! Now, to find some power to complete the conversion of my Black Widow!

EXT. LARGE WAREHOUSE - NIGHT

A big corrugated metal door opens and the Black Widow emerges. Crossing the property, it nimbly steps over the fence and begins stomping towards Megakat City in the distance.
Last edited by Kooshmeister on Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:39 am

The destroyed warehouse is as we last saw it. A single Enforcer cruiser sits parked by the curb, its roof and fender lights flashing slowly. T-Bone stealthily sneaks across the street. Pausing by the cruiser, he peers inside. It's empty. There's no sign of the driver.

The battered chain link fence has been locked and Enforcer crime scene tape is everywhere. Giving the barbed wire along the top of the fence a wary look, T-Bone, whose hands are now finally cleaned of the spider gunk, brings up his Glovatrix. A miniature blowtorch is deployed and ignites, and he uses it to cut through the lock. It snaps apart and the chain rattles noisily to the ground. T-Bone flinches at the sound which is tremendous in the nighttime silence.

T-BONE
(under his breath)
The whole city probably heard that...

He crossed the parking lot, which is overgrown with weeds, and enters the ruined warehouse.

INT. ABANDONED WAREHOUSE

Taking out a flashlight, T-Bone shines it around.

T-BONE
There must be some clues here someplace.

Suddenly, a shadowy figure creeps up behind him and swings a huge pair of bolt cutters! He yelps and leaps aside, and the figure swings the cutters at him again. The flashlight is knocked aside and sent spinning away. With a kick, T-Bone knocks his attacker's bolt cutters out of their hand and tackles them. The two opponents roll around on the floor until they end up in the beam of the dropped flashlight and the big SWAT Kat gasps as he sees his opponent is... Callie!

T-BONE
(surprised)
Ms. Briggs! What're you doin' here?

CALLIE
Same thing as you, I suspect. Looking for clues.
(grim)
Mayor Manx is really considering coming down hard on you guys over this. I'd hoped to find something that would exonerate you and Razor. No such luck so far.

T-BONE
Well, we did both just get here.

A second flashlight beam flicks on and plays over them. Felina emerges from the shadows, flashlight in one hand, laser pistol in the other.

FELINA
That makes three of us.

CALLIE
Lieutenant Feral!

FELINA
(smirks)
My uncle assigned me to guard the crime scene. I was considering poking around in here myself when I heard a ruckus. I guess it was you two.

She holsters her gun.

T-BONE
Well, what're we waitin' for? Let's get to searchin'. Let's hope we can find something your Enforcer crime scene boys missed.

He grabs his flashlight and the three search around the wreck, but don't manage to find anything. T-Bone looks angry and disappointed.

T-BONE
Nothin'.

FELINA
Then I guess it really was an accident...

CALLIE
But what about those two people on the news?

T-Bone eyes her.

T-BONE
Those two creeps sayin' we did it in purpose? I've been thinkin' a lot about them.

CALLIE
Me too.

FELINA
So have I. Even my uncle seems to find them a little sketchy, but he's none too reluctantly swallowing their story.

Switching off his flashlight, T-Bone pockets it.

T-BONE
I wonder what their angle is.

FELINA
Well, if this really was an accident, then they're either just causing controversy to get their five minutes of fame... or they're deliberately trying to make you SWAT Kats look bad.

T-BONE
You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

CALLIE
If they're deliberately trying to ruin your reputation, then they're probably working for whoever is flying around in the creepy spider ship.

T-BONE
At any rate, we need to get this problem solved and fast. Razor's lost his edge.

The other two are in disbelief.

T-BONE
He ran off. He was talking about needing a big change in his life... I sure hope he doesn't mean he intends to quit.

The walkie-talkie on Felina's belt beeps. She answers it.

FELINA
(into the radio)
Lieutenant Feral.

FERAL
(through the radio)
Felina! Get your tail here immediately! That joker in the spider ship is back...

EXT. STREET - NIGHT

Feral stands on a street corner beside his parked cruiser, watching as the giant Black Widow walks by. The entire ground shakes. CITIZENS flee screaming in all directions.

FERAL
(into the radio)
...and his vehicle has doubled in size! He's headed for the Megakat Power Substation!

FELINA
(through the radio)
Roger!

INT. ABANDONED WAREHOUSE

Felina returns the walkie-talkie to her belt.

FELINA
Seems like our enemy is really doubling down on his destructive rampage!

CALLIE
He must've been using the items he stole from those labs to customize and improve his vehicle! Megakat City could be totally destroyed!

T-BONE
(jerks a thumb at himself)
Not if I've got anything to say about it!

He runs off.

T-Bone runs out of the building. Felina and Callie linger in the doorway.

CALLIE
(calling after)
What about Razor?

T-BONE
I'll just have to go into battle without 'im!
(to himself)
Much as I hate to!

Callie turns to Felina.

CALLIE
You go help your uncle, Lieutenant. I'll go look for Razor. Knowing him, I have a hunch about where he might be...

EXT. CITY STREET - NIGHT

Razor zooms along on the Cyclotron, pulling up to:

EXT. MEGAKAT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL - NIGHT

A large, very modern-looking hospital. Rather than go in through the front entrance, Razor drives around the side to the rear. Observing him from across the street are the young couple who are in league with Dark Kat. The young man looks at Razor through a pair of high-tech binoculars. These he lowers with a smirk as the thin SWAT Kat vanishes around the corner on the Cyclotron. He turns to the young woman.

YOUNG MAN
It's him.
(mockingly)
Probably comin' by to say how sorry he is.

YOUNG WOMAN
What do we do now?

YOUNG MAN
We have ourselves an unbeatable opportunity here, Ilsa. Forget the old farts. Razor's our new target.

He grins evilly.

YOUNG MAN
Dark Kat will pay us extra to get rid of him. Permanently.

They both laugh cruelly and the young woman reaches into her purse, taking out a laser pistol. She checks it, then returns it to her purse and then she and her boyfriend cross the street towards the front entrance.
1 x

NightSlayer2
Resident
Canada

Post by NightSlayer2 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:57 pm

This keeps getting even more interesting every time I read it. I’m surprised that Mills is sticking up for the SWAT Kats. I thought he hated them.

And yeah, I always thought that Manx and Callie should’ve appeared in that episode. I thought season 2 was mostly focused on Feral and Felina while season 1 focused more on Manx and Callie.

Is that elderly couple legit or no?
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:16 pm

The plot thickens... in ways that improve the story from the original version. It's great to see Callie take an active role in clearing the SWAT Kats, Mills is a good addition, and I think I know what's going to happen with Razor in the hospital (and I like it!). I'm wondering where his bouquet of flowers is, though. RazLaugh

*Speaking of which, I gave the episode an A when I reviewed it, but between the plot holes, the absence of key characters and its derivative nature, I'd probably downgrade it to an A- or B+. I still give it points for trying to deepen the SWAT Kats as characters (which is the main reason it impressed me when it was new), but it could have (and should have) gone further, as Koosh is doing,
1 x