Kris's Drabbles

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
KristenSK
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Kris's Drabbles

Post by KristenSK » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:39 pm

So, I'm crawling out from under my rock with a few little drabbly bits of fanfiction. A couple months ago, I joined Sage in a marathon re-watch of the entire series, and it shook a few ideas loose. Here's the first one, musing on how it was that the PastMaster knew how many years he'd been locked away not minutes after his release.

Time

The power to manipulate time was the greatest of magicks. To master it was to master death itself.

And, to achieve such mastery, one had to first learn to feel the flow of time, to sense each instant as it passed.

Instants had weight. And, death did not like to be denied.

But, the power was worth any price. And, there was always something to busy his mind. Something to blot out the steady press of time against his soul.

Until the Council found him. Until they captured, bound, and buried him.

In the darkness, he knew nothing but time.
4 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Re: Kris's Drabbles

Post by MoDaD » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:48 pm

You craft a great atmosphere in such a short amount of words.
KristenSK wrote:...one had to first learn to feel the flow of time, to sense each instant as it passed.
Well, he certainly got a lot of practice doing that locked-up underground. SinianThisCait
KristenSK wrote:So, I'm crawling out from under my rock with a few little drabbly bits of fanfiction.
Welcome to the fandom, newcomer! Are you a new fan of the show? RazTaunt
1 x

KristenSK
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by KristenSK » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 pm

You craft a great atmosphere in such a short amount of words.
Thank you! I've been playing with drabbles for a while, trying to get better at saying more with fewer words. Good to know it's working!
Welcome to the fandom, newcomer! Are you a new fan of the show?
*snork* No, just an old one who's been lured back. TboneSmile
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:26 pm

KristenSK wrote:No, just an old one who's been lured back.
SWAT Kats has quite the siren song, doesn't it?
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

KristenSK
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by KristenSK » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:53 pm

SWAT Kats has quite the siren song, doesn't it?
It so does.
2 x

KristenSK
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by KristenSK » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:59 am

And, another re-watch-inspired drabble, this one a bit more lighthearted.

Campaign

Ulysses Feral eyed the huge “Vote Manx!” banner plastered across the building opposite his office and wondered whether he was more disgusted or bemused. Eleven terms in office, and the idiot still hadn’t caught on.

Admittedly, Manx’s first few terms had been normal enough. Before the supervillains showed up with their eyes fixed on City Hall.

Things had changed since then. Smart politicians aimed for the city council or other positions out of the public eye. No one aimed for City Hall.

But, Manx didn’t seem to notice. He still campaigned every term as though he actually had an opponent.
4 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:29 pm

KristenSK wrote:And, another re-watch-inspired drabble, this one a bit more lighthearted.

Campaign

Ulysses Feral eyed the huge “Vote Manx!” banner plastered across the building opposite his office and wondered whether he was more disgusted or bemused. Eleven terms in office, and the idiot still hadn’t caught on.

Admittedly, Manx’s first few terms had been normal enough. Before the supervillains showed up with their eyes fixed on City Hall.

Things had changed since then. Smart politicians aimed for the city council or other positions out of the public eye. No one aimed for City Hall.

But, Manx didn’t seem to notice. He still campaigned every term as though he actually had an opponent.
Or maybe the supervillains are going after Callie, since they've realized that she's the one who really runs Megakat City...
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

KristenSK
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by KristenSK » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Or maybe the supervillains are going after Callie, since they've realized that she's the one who really runs Megakat City...
You'd think they'd realize that, but they always seem to want Manx too. At least for proof of conquest. Maybe because he's the public face the citizens are used to seeing delivering all the speeches.

And, I originally had a bit mentioning Callie, but it came out like a side comment and everything seemed to read better without it.
4 x

KristenSK
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by KristenSK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Since one of my other fandoms has a semi-official "This Series Day", I decided to declare the time in September when SK first aired my own "SWAT Kat Day" and try to at least kick out a drabble for the series every year around this time. Here's this year's attempt:

Discovery

There’s enough military salvage here to build our own jet. To get back in the air and back at Dark Kat. And, all the other criminal scum who rear their ugly heads in MegaKat City.

With his best friend’s brilliant, impossible scheme dancing in his head, Chance Furlong felt fired up for the first time in days. For the first time since Feral tossed them out of the Enforcers and into this trash pile.

“Then, let’s see what we have to work with,” he said, snatching the keys from Jake and turning toward what was apparently the salvage yard’s office. And, their new jobsite.

The two story block building had clearly once been a garage. It had also clearly seen better days. Paint and old wood were peeling. Metal fixtures were rusting. And, when he finally shouldered the jammed door open with brute force, the smell that greeted him was nothing but rot and horror.

Chance gagged and stumbled back.

Jake peered around him and took in the smell, the mold, and the narrow path that was the only access through mountains of takeout boxes and other trash.

“Did the guys that used to run this place live in here?”

“That or something died in here,” Chance growled, trying to breathe through his mouth. “What this place needs is gas and a match.”

“It’s not that bad,” said Jake. “Where’s that enthusiasm you had a minute ago?”

“It just died, along with my nose and my will to live.”

“That was fast.” Unperturbed, Jake threaded his way into the mess. “Hey, the old lift’s still here,” he said, peering through the filthy glass window of an office area to see the garage bay.

“Be still my heart.” As Jake started moving a stack of boxes that were blocking the door into the garage, Chance surveyed the space. Garage, office, and a breakroom area with a small kitchen, couch, and TV. All jammed full of garbage.

The tip of his tail twitched irritably. When were they going to find the time to build a jet with all the work this place needed?

A roach crawled over his shoe, and he kicked it off. The swing stubbed his foot up against something hard and heavy. Frowning, Chance looked down and nudged an over-filled box of ancient auto parts. It slid back to reveal a hatch made of dark, industrial steel rising an inch from the floor.

“Hey, Jake,” he called. “Found something weird.”

It took both of them and a makeshift pry bar scavenged from the scrap outside, but they got the hatch open. Darkness greeted them with only the first rung of a steel ladder built into the wall glinting in the weak light.

Jake pulled a flashlight out of his pocket.

“Let’s see what we’ve got,” he said, shining it into the cavern below.

“Probably a water-logged basement,” Chance groused.

The light revealed more rungs. “Huh.” Squatting, Jake stuck his head into the darkness. “No water. And, is that—?”

Sighing, Chance grabbed Jake’s belt as his friend leaned even farther, threatening to topple into the hole. “What’s got you so excited?”

Jake pulled his head out, grinning wide. “You remember the underground hangars they built during MegaWar III? The ones with the launch tunnels?”

“Of course!” If it involved aircraft, Chance had studied it. Including all of the weird, experimental tech to come out of the last MegaWar. His mind ground to a halt. “No way.”

Jake’s grin grew bigger. “I think I know where to put our new jet.”

Suddenly, the job ahead didn’t seem quite so insurmountable.

------------------

Notes: I went with MegaWar III as a WWII equivalent since the planes we see attributed to MegaWar II, as well as the Red Lynx's obvious parallel to the Red Baron, seemed more WWI.
3 x