Re: Writing Challenge Ideas

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by MoDaD » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:49 am

Referring back to what AkaneKitty suggested earlier this year, I'd like to open up a discussion regarding a writing challenge. I'd like to know what sort of criteria appeals to some of our very own writers here on the forums, and also input from readers on the types of short stories or scenarios they like to read about, anything from the cliche to the experimental (please keep the site rules in mind TboneLaughCait ). Things like story length, amount of time to write, etc. are probably important to work out.

My ultimate goal is to have something similar to the Art Challenge, but because writing is a different kind of investment, I think it's important to have a guaranteed participation prize for all who enter and in good faith meet whatever the challenge requirements are (i.e. all who enter get a SWAT Kats coin, with the "winner" getting that and something extra).

One thing I might suggest is that a minimum and maximum story length is determined: a sweet spot that's achievable for writers and accessible for readers.
7 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by AkaneKitty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Yay!

(I have Feral on the brain so I'm using him as a example)

First for basic rules, I'd suggest flash fiction length of around 500 words. I wouldn't hard limit that because sometimes things go over, but it's a good base point.

A thousand words may be too much at the start, so I'd save those types of challenges until after the challenges are established, and then have a warning about length even then.

Other mechanics: Follow forum rules and good attempts at grammar/spelling (sometimes things slip through and there are people here where English isn't their first language).

For fic ideas I like "what if?". A what if story I did about how would Feral react to finding out about Callie's communicator sparked a lot of discussion. It can be about something that never happened on the show or something that happened taken in a different direction (like what if Feral accepted the Metalikats offer?)

Others ideas: Day in the life about a typical day. Or maybe about what profession would you add to the show and how would the characters react? For me, I'd add a district attorney.

That's all I have for now. I'm excited!
3 x

SVMON94
Resident
Finland

Post by SVMON94 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:24 pm

That's a nice idea. My idea of rules would be things that have been already said here like having a max story length because it would probably be inconvinent if the judges had to read massive novels with 7+ chapters and a prologue TboneLaughCait And as for story themes i'd say it fits a writing challenge to give freedom with themes and characters. (Obeying the forum rules of course) I'd personally like to take part in a writing challenge just for fun and get myself used to writing before actually writing my super lengthy shipfic.
3 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Ty-Chou » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:04 pm

I agree that the challenge should focus on brevity. Perhaps not a specific word limit, but the story should be a one-shot without multiple chapters. Writing takes a great deal more time than drawing a picture at times and it doesn't really serve the challenge if the topic is something that entices the participant to bite off more than they can chew and run the risk of not finishing in time.

So when picking the topic, I'd say keep it to something that participants could write something short about, or even a single scene. That will ensure you get more participants able to finish in time.
2 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by EricoBard » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Here's my two cents:

Over 1,000 words, and under 10,000 words. You can do a lot in 10,000 words, but that'll force the more long-winded challengers (i.e....ME) to condense themselves, while forcing the shorter authors to reach outside of their comfort zone.

It should be a one-shot. You're right that any challenge shouldn't be a novel; what you're after is a snapshot moment. It should aim for a T rating: That means no outrageously gratuitous violence or christmas cake moments, but leaves the challengers enough wiggle room to not have to change how they'd normally write.

On a personal note, I'd love to see a challenge that DOESN'T use the five main characters (Jake, Chance, Felina, Callie, Feral) and forces the authors to dig deep into some of the tertiary assortment. This might inspire quite a lot of "Villain fics", but it's a livable consequence. Everybody writes about the main five. I'd like to see how the writing community here can hack it when you take away the most obvious toys.

Beyond those things, I'd say you don't want or need any further stipulations. This should give the ideal mix of difficulty and fun necessary.

What were you considering as a prize for this little contest? Personally, I'd love to have some cover art from Ty-Chou for "Foundation of Trust" and "Transitions", but there's also the matter of balancing the contest's prize to the effort put forth in reaching for it.

-------------------------

P.S: Who did you have in mind to do the judging, Modad? And what criteria or grading scale are you going to use? If it'd help, I'd be willing to step aside and be a judge for this...unless you were going to ask the other Mods to do it for you. In which case, I'm in it to win it. :)

-Erico
2 x

NeeKnight
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Great Britain

Post by NeeKnight » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:46 am

Honestly I would also like to see some varity other than straight narrative form. Some poems or maybe song parodies or maybe a script format for a comic or radio play. Writing can be many things so we should try to explore the over avenues it provides.
Maybe talour things to the challenge, like I don't know, a Commander's Log entry for Feral in the style of how we'd think Feral would write things in character. FeralStopSign Or a five minute segment of MadKat at an open mic night for a comedy club Ringtail was boo'd off the stage for so he would get his vengence in joke form. Madkatlaughing
3 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Spain

Post by Cait » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 am

NeeKnight wrote:Honestly I would also like to see some varity other than straight narrative form. Some poems or maybe song parodies or maybe a script format for a comic or radio play. Writing can be many things so we should try to explore the over avenues it provides.
Maybe talour things to the challenge, like I don't know, a Commander's Log entry for Feral in the style of how we'd think Feral would write things in character. FeralStopSign Or a five minute segment of MadKat at an open mic night for a comedy club Ringtail was boo'd off the stage for so he would get his vengence in joke form. Madkatlaughing
Really like those ideas! I also can see that comic thing very good if I or any other artist draw a small comic with empty bubbles. A challenge like that would be interesting (but also maybe too easy, as it would be just a small dialoge and the images will tell the rest...). Anyway, I see all your ideas very good for themes for the writing challenge.
2 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Felony » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 am

EricoBard wrote: What were you considering as a prize for this little contest? Personally, I'd love to have some cover art from Ty-Chou for "Foundation of Trust" and "Transitions", but there's also the matter of balancing the contest's prize to the effort put forth in reaching for it.
Well for a prize like that, Ty-Chou should be asked first if she wants to donate her time and skill. ;)
EricoBard wrote: P.S: Who did you have in mind to do the judging, Modad? And what criteria or grading scale are you going to use? If it'd help, I'd be willing to step aside and be a judge for this...unless you were going to ask the other Mods to do it for you. In which case, I'm in it to win it. :)
The forum would be the judges, just like for the art challenges. As MoDaD wants the format similar, I assume we members of MegakatCity.com would read the stories submitted, assess which best meets the challenge and then vote.
NeeKnight wrote: Honestly I would also like to see some varity other than straight narrative form. Some poems or maybe song parodies or maybe a script format for a comic or radio play. Writing can be many things so we should try to explore the over avenues it provides.
I like this idea a lot. Variety in the kinds of challenges can produce interesting results and challenge authors as it is outside their normal writing style.
4 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
United States of America

Post by Mikazo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:20 pm

NeeKnight wrote:Honestly I would also like to see some varity other than straight narrative form. Some poems or maybe song parodies or maybe a script format for a comic or radio play. Writing can be many things so we should try to explore the over avenues it provides.
Poems! That's a good idea. Here, let me contribute. Ahem.

MegaKat haiku
Feral is fighting bad guys
Kat's Eye News is live

Okay, what do I win? Anything?

...hello? :oops:
2 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
United States of America

Post by Felony » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:07 am

Mikazo wrote: Poems! That's a good idea. Here, let me contribute. Ahem.

MegaKat haiku
Feral is fighting bad guys
Kat's Eye News is live

Okay, what do I win? Anything?

...hello? :oops:

There would be minimum line counts for poetry and other stipulations so the challenge isn't super easy. RazEmbarrassed
0 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony