A Tail of Two Vipers

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

A Tail of Two Vipers

Post by Kooshmeister » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:08 am

"A Tail of Two Vipers"

LOGLINE: Dr. Viper is finally arrested, and yet a creature very much resembling him is rampaging throughout Megakat City. How can there be two Dr. Vipers?

© 2020 Kooshmeister

Written by:
Bill Hiers

DISCLAIMER: SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron is a trademark of Hanna-Barbara. This author does not own the rights to the show, its episodes, or any of its characters, and this script is not meant for monetary use. I did it just for the heck of it. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ACT I

EXT. THE DEAD FOREST - DAY

Push in on Dr. Viper's huge tree fortress towering above all the other twisted, dead trees in the center of the deadly swamp.

INT. SWAMP LAIR - LAB

As seen before, the interior of the tree's main hollow has been converted into a ramshackle laboratory. All is quiet until a hunched figure enters, emerging from the shadows of a passageway whose walls are lined with bulging, veiny eyes that follow the figure attentively, babbling to himself.

The silhouetted figure steps into the dim light and is revealed as none other than DR. VIPER. Oozing along behind him, red eyes aglow, is his trusty MUSHROOM MONSTER assistant.

VIPER
Those cursssed SWAT Katsss!

He slithers over to the centerpiece of the room, a large, crooked table supported by tree branch "hands" growing out of the earthen floor and gripping the edges, the top of which is littered with test tubes, beakers and flasks. There are also three potted plants: a cactus, a small palm and a sequoia sapling.

VIPER
They alwaysss thwart my plansss!

He picks up a flask of bubbling chemicals, smirking. Its tentacles twitching excitedly, the mushroom monster watches with interest.

VIPER
Sssoon, Megakat City will be mine! Yesss! My Megassswamp City! And thisss time, no one can ssstop me!

He pours the chemical into each of the pour pots and steps back, watching as the plants begin to twitch and then twist and grow. Using his prehensile tail, Viper grabs a jar with the handwritten label "Home Made," and pours the brown liquid inside into the pots as well. The three plants continue growing and twisting, with crunching noises. Mouths appear in them and they begin making hideous mewling sounds.

VIPER
Yessss! Sssoon those meddlesssome SWAT Kats will be taken care of, and Megakat City will fear the name of Dr. Viper... forever!

He cackles evilly, stepping back as the twisting and growing shadows of the mutating plants are cast over him. We pan over to a stoppered flask of a familiar-looking dark green liquid. Viper Mutagen.

EXT. CITY HALL - DAY

Establishing shot of Megakat City Hall. We hear the sound of someone snoring.

INT. CITY HALL - MANX'S OFFICE

MAYOR MANX is at his huge desk, half asleep. He awakens with a jump when his office door opens. CALLIE BRIGGS comes in, a stack of papers with her. These she dumps onto the Mayor's desk.

CALLIE
There are the forms you told me to go over.

MANX
Very good, Ms. Briggs.

Manx adjusts his pince-nez and looks them over. The phone rings and Callie answers it.

CALLIE
Hello?

VIPER
Hello, Ms. Brigggsss.

Callie's eyes widen.

CALLIE
Who is this?

She glances over at Manx, who is busying himself scrutinizing the paperwork and squinting, as though trying to understand what was written. At Callie's exclamation, he looks up, blinking.

VIPER
(over the phone)
I'm sssurprised you don't recognize me, my dear.

CALLIE
(low)
Viper!

Manx gulps.

MANX
D-Dr. Viper...?

Callie holds a hand out towards Manx indicating silence.

CALLIE
What do you want?

VIPER
I want the SWAT Katsss to meet me at the old tuna factory at noon today! Or elssse my latest creationsss will reduce this pitiful city to rubble! Ssstarting with City Hall!

There's a click and the line goes dead. Callie hangs up.

CALLIE
It's Dr. Viper, all right! And he's threatening to destroy Megakat City! He's at the old tuna factory!

Manx grabs the phone and hastily begins dialing.

MANX
Danger! Disaster! G-Godfrey! I m-must inform Commander Feral at once!

Callie slips from the office.

INT. CITY HALL - HALLWAY

In the hallway outside the Mayor's office, Callie takes out her communicator.

CALLIE
This is definitely a job for the SWAT Kats!

INT. SWAMP LAIR - DAY

Viper is using an old flip-style cell phone. With a grin, he flips it shut and sets it aside, turning to his faithful mushroom monster.

VIPER
Thossse foolsss will be pulverized by my Mega-Treesss!

The half kat, half mushroom creature growls with hideous glee. Both of them turn to the still rapidly growing trio of MEGA-TREES: the sequoia sapling has grown to adulthood and now sports four arms and a huge haping maw. It is fifteen feet tall and getting larger. Meanwhile, the cactus and palm tree are only slightly smaller at six feet and also still growing. They have three eyes epiece. They swell, bulge and undulate hideously.

VIPER
And now, my beautiful mutationsss, my Mega-Treesss, it'ssss time we got to work!

He beckons with a finger.

VIPER
Come! We musst go to the old tuna factory, if we're to keep our appointment with the SWAT Katsss!

Grabbing the flask of green liquid, he turns and walks down the stairs leading out of the hollow, the wriggling fungus creature at his heels. After a moment, the Mega-Trees follow, swelling in size with each step they take.

EXT. TUNA FACTORY - DAY

The TurboKat lands outside the factory. T-BONE and RAZOR. They stare for a moment at the creepy building. Even in daylight, it seems spooky. It sits by itself in a very bad part of town. Vines, both dead and living, grip the building like the tentacles of some sea monster. Most of the windows are boarded up. T-Bone stands with his hands on his hips, looking up at the huge building. Both he and Razor are wearing their Glovatrixes.

T-BONE
Creepy...

Razor extends his arm, checking his Glovatrix as he steps up beside his friend to appraise the structure.

RAZOR
Yeah. Just the sorta place that slimy snake would set up shop.

They walk towards the front entrance, T-Bone also giving his Glovatrix a once over.

T-BONE
I just wish we knew where his real hideout was. Then we could blow it to kingdom come and he wouldn't have anywhere else to slither back to. Somewhere in Megakat Swamp, I figure.

RAZOR
Well, after we catch him, maybe we can ask him.

They reach the front door. T-Bone makes a fist.

T-BONE
After we pound his face in!

As he reaches for the door, Razor lingers.

RAZOR
You know this is a trap, right...?

T-Bone grins.

T-BONE
(jovial)
Nobody ever said ol' snake-face would make things easy for us, did they?
(a little more serious)
Just stay on your toes.

They open the door and rush inside.

INT. TUNA FACTORY - FACTORY FLOOR

Apart from the skeleton of a conveyor belt - without the belt part - and a few scattered old crates, the factory interior is almost entirely empty. Gloomy light filters in through the mostly boarded up windows. Mustering their courage, the duo move cautiously across the wide open space.

T-BONE
Nothin' in here.

RAZOR
Viper's probably hiding.

From a second floor landing, a shadowy figure, Viper, watches them, eyes glowing. We can also see the glowing red eyes of his mushroom monster in the darkness behind him.

T-BONE
No, I mean, yeah, but... where's all the machinery...?

RAZOR
The company probably removed it when they closed up shop. You don't leave expensive stuff lying around for people to steal.

Viper continues watching them as his fungus creature slowly recedes away and through a doorway behind them. Viper lingers, gripping the railing, smirking down at the approaching vigilantes.

T-BONE
Who'd wanna steal bulky old factory equipment...?

RAZOR
You'd be surprised.

Finally, Viper turns and darts silently through the open door behind him. It reads "Offices" on the frosted glass window. The SWAT Kats now approach the stairs leading up.

T-BONE
So where is he?

RAZOR
Trap, remember? Viper's full of surprises.

T-BONE
Enough of this sneaking around crud!
(calling out)
Hey, Viper! Where are ya? Too scared to come out and face us man to mutant?

There's a thud from somewhere upstairs and then a shatter of glass. T-Bone points up at the second floor landing and the enclosed office area beyond.

T-BONE
It came from up there! In the old offices!

They race up the stairs.

INT. TUNA FACTORY - OFFICES

The SWAT Kats wind there way through a maze of cubicles and desk. Finally, they find a door marked "Manager." It's slightly open.

RAZOR
Well, now or never.

INT. TUNA FACTORY - MANAGER'S OFFICE

T-Bone kicks in the door. There's a big desk covered by plastic sheeting and a high-backed swivel chair sprung at the seams, currently turned away, although we can see Viper's tail sticking out the side and his hair over the top. The flask of green liquid we saw earlier is sitting on the desk. The SWAT Kats aim their Glovatrixes at him.

T-BONE
Okay, Viper, come quietly, or else--

A hideous growl issues forth from above them and before then can react, lumpy tentacles descend and encircle them, lifting them off their feet. It's Viper's mushroom monster, in semi-liquid form, clinging to the ceiling. As he restrains the two SWAT Kats, Viper turns in the chair, which creaks, fingers steepled.

VIPER
Ah, SWAT Katsss! Welcome to your doom! Or should I sssay... to the firssst day of the rest of your livesss!

As the vigilantes kick and struggle, Viper rises from the chair and comes around the side of the desk.

T-BONE
What're you waiting for, ugly? Just finish us off and be done with it!

VIPER
But that would be too easssy! After all the trouble you two have put me through over the yearsss, sinnce the beginning, in fact, I have a much... nassstier fate in mind for you two than mere death!
(cackles)
I'm going to transssform you! But firssst, I think it might be therapeutic for me to let my latessst creationsss knock you around for a bit while I watch.

RAZOR
(strained, choking)
Latest creations?

T-BONE
(strangled)
Y-Yeah, this spineless jelly bozo of yours is old news! Where's--

VIPER
Oh, you'll ssseee!

His face forming out of the amorphous blob, the fungus creature snarls and flings the two kats out the door they came through.

INT. TUNA FACTORY - OFFICES

T-Bone and Razor sail bodily across the room and smash through the frosted windows overlooking the factory floor.

With tandem screams, our heroes fall down to the first floor, landing against the cement floor hard. They groan and writhe, stunned and in pain. Dr. Viper appears above them on the second floor landing, gripping the railing.

RAZOR
(pained)
An arena... it's an arena...

VIPER
Very good... what wasss your name? Razor? Ah, yesss. But that won't matter sssoon. Once I bathe you in my improved version of the Viper Mutagen and turn you into my ssslaves! But firssst... some entertainment!

He snaps his fingers. The walls on either side burst open as the Mega-Trees enter. They're now even bigger than before. The seqouia, entering from the left, is fifty feet tall and barely fits inside even the high-ceiling main area of the old factory, and the palm tree and cactus, on the right, are twenty feet tall. The growl and snarl.

VIPER
Attack them, my Mega-Treesss! Attack!

Stepping forward, the sequoia reaches down to grab T-Bone, who rolls aside. The palm and cactus fire sharp projectiles - razor-edged fronds and spines, respectively - at Razor, who barely manages to get to his feet and run out of the way.

RAZOR
Come on, buddy, we need the Turbokat to deal with these three...!

They bolt for the exit. Viper grips the railing more tightly in anger.

VIPER
No! Ssstop them!

The Mega-Trees give chase. With great strides that make the entire building shake, the sequoia gets to the door and blocks their escape.

T-BONE
Crud!

RAZOR
We're gonna have to fight these guys with just our Glovatrixes! And I've got a plan!

He turns and runs back the way they came, towards the palm and cactus.

RAZOR
Come and get me, big boys!

He runs between the two and leaps up, firing missiles from his Glovatrix.

RAZOR
Flare Missiles deployed!

The Flare Missiles are like miniature versions of the Flashbulb Missiles, emitting bright burst of light. The two plant monsters each squeeze their three eyes shut, blinded, and reflexively fire their deadly projectiles, which sail past Razor's slender, airborne body, and hit each other. Both fly backwards and crash through the walls. The building shakes more as dust and debris begin falling from the ceiling. It's obvious that the old factory can't take much more punishment. Viper, growling, watches from upstairs. Behind him, his mushroom monster looks visibly distressed.

VIPER
N-Noooooo! My Mega-Treesss! My beautiful creationsss!

He whirls to his assistant.

VIPER
(indicating Razor)
Don't jussst stand there, you fool! Get him!

Turning into his liquid form, the fungus monster oozes down the stairs. Meanwhile, T-Bone is fighting against the giant sequoia.

T-BONE
Hey ugly!

The monster growls down at him.

T-BONE
Yeah, that’s right! I’m talkin’ ta you, bucko!

The sequoia gives an angry bellow and lifts one huge foot to stamp him flat. T-Bone dodges. One of the huge arms sweeps down. Smack! It just barely misses him. The building continues shaking and quaking, close to collapsing. Razor moves to aid his friend when suddenly the mushroom monster oozes up behind him and coalesces into his regular shape, lunging at the thin SWAT Kat, mouth wide open.

RAZOR
Have a snape, slimeface!

Razor fires an explosive into the mushroom monster's mouth, which he swallows, closing his mouth. His eyes widen. After a moment, he explodes in a shower of green goo that splatters all over the walls and the floor. Cracks are beginning to spread from the holes in the walls where the Mega-Trees entered, and the factory's structural integrity continues to disintegrate. Viper backs away from the railing as the entire second floor begins quaking ominously around him. At the opposite end of the main factory floor, meanwhile, T-Bone takes aim up at the sequoia.

T-BONE
Launching Mini-Piranha Missiles!

Miniature versions of the Piranha Missile shoot forth and chomp their way into the sequoia. The tree roars in agony as it is eaten up from the inside out, giving an unearthly death scream as it explodes in a shadow of wood chips and sawdust.

T-BONE
Now that's what I call a termite infestation!

RAZOR
Now for Viper!

They turn to confront the evil biochemist, who is still on the second floor, only for the walls to buckle.

The flask on the desk wobbles. The floor tilts as the entire building begins leaning precariously to one side. The vessel containing the Viper Mutagen slides to the edge of the desk, by the window.

The place is totally collapsing. The entire second floor section caves inward and Dr. Viper falls down along with a ton of debris. He avoids being buried except for his tail, which gets caught under a big chunk of the upper walkway. He yowls in pain. The SWAT Kats rush over to him.

As the room collapses, the desk slides against the wall and the flask flies out the open window.

EXT. TUNA FACTORY - DAY

The flask falls down towards the ground and lands in the overgrown bushes growing along the side of the building.

The SWAT Kats find Viper lying on his stomach in front of the heap of rubble that used to be the upper office area. Like a lizard, his tail has detached and remains stuck under the heavy debris. Green ichor oozes from the stump. He groans, barely conscious.

RAZOR
This place is gonna cave in!

T-BONE
Tell me something I don't know?

Razor kneels beside the prone Dr. Viper.

RAZOR
What about him?

T-BONE
Grab him and let’s go! This place is crumbling faster than my grandma's cheesecake!

Razor grabs Viper by his coat collar and he and T-Bone drag him after them, his tail stump leaving a trail of ichor, while the room continues to disintegrate.

EXT. TUNA FACTORY - DAY

Once outside, they hit the dirt as the entire building collapses. A cloud of dust washes over them, obscuring everything.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Re: A Tail of Two Vipers

Post by Kooshmeister » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:09 am

ACT II

EXT. TUNA FACTORY - DAY

As it slowly clears, T-Bone groggily gets to his feet. Viper, still out cold, lies beside him. Razor is nowhere to be seen.

T-BONE
Razor? Razor, where are ya, buddy?

RAZOR
(O.S.)
Right here...

Moaning, Razor pushes aside a big hunk of metal and stands up.

T-BONE
(relieved)
What a ride that was...

RAZOR
(groggy sarcasm)
Can we do it again, Dad?

Kneeling, T-Bone checks Viper. The kat-snake scientist is still alive.

T-BONE
He's okay.

Standing, he grins.

T-BONE
Looks like his little trap backfired and we got him for a chance.

Smirking, he looks down at the unconscious Viper.

T-BONE
Finally, you're gonna see the inside of a cell, Doc!

RAZOR
Or a lunatic asylum!

T-BONE
Or whatever the Enforcers decide to do with 'im.

They hear approaching sirens. With Feral's distinct blue and white cruiser in the lead, a small fleet of Enforcer squad cars is speeding towards the destroyed factory.

T-BONE
Speaking of whom, here they come, late as usual...

The squad cats screech to a halt. COMMANDER FERAL and FELINA FERAL get out of the lead vehicle. The other cars disgorge ENFORCER COMMANDOS toting laser rifles.

FERAL
Looks like you SWAT Kats made your usual mess.

T-BONE
Ease up, Feral. We got you guys a present.

He turns and gestures at Dr. Viper on the ground who is slowly coming to.

FERAL
Viper!

He turns to his men.

FERAL
Cuff him before he wakes up!

Several commandos rush forward.

FERAL
Dr. Konway will want to examine him as soon as possible.

The commandos cuff Viper and haul him to his feet, dragging him to a waiting cruiser.

T-BONE
And try keeping him locked up this time!

Feral growls and stomps off. Felina lingers to talk to the SWAT Kats.

FELINA
Good work, you two. A shame about the old tuna factory, though.

T-BONE
Eh, who cares? It was a dump anyway...

He kicks at a piece of rubble.

RAZOR
What do you think will happen to Viper? T-Bone and I were discussing whether he'd wind up in prison or the insane asylum.

Felina turns and watches Viper being put into a cruiser.

COMMANDO #1
Ech, he's gonna get his slime all over the backseat.

COMMANDO #2
Relax, the guys back at the motor pool will clean it up.

Felina turns back to the two SWAT Kats.

FELINA
To be honest, probably neither. At least not at first. The boys at our bio-tech lab will want to get their hands on him for study. Dr. Konway's been interested in him for a long time. To say nothing of the new administrator over at Megakat Biochemical Labs.

A station wagon pulls up behind the line of Enforcer squad cars. DR. BELLJAR gets out and stands holding the open door, watching Viper fidgeting in the backseat of the nearby cruiser. Then, slamming the door, he approaches as far as the Enforcers will alow and stands with his hands in his pockets. Finally, T-Bone yawns and stretches.

T-BONE
Welp, it's been a long day. Monsters killed, bad guy apprehended, and, as your uncle so eloquently put it, we destroyed our one building per day, so it's about time Razor and I got home.
(shouting over to Feral)
That is if His Highness will allow us to leave.

Feral just glowers at them. Felina chuckles.

RAZOR
Seeya later, Lieutenant. You too, Commander.

They hop back into the Turbokat and fly off.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:13 am

EXT. ENFORCER HEADQUARTERS - EVENING

Establishing shot of the building. Jets take off from the elevated runway.

FERAL
(O.S.)
Well, Konway, what have you got for me?

INT. ENFORCER HEADQUARTERS - BIO-TECH LAB

Feral stands with DR. KONWAY in the high-tech Enforcer laboratory. The Commander has just entered and is flanked by Felina and two commandos. Konway is his usual subdued self, standing with his hands casually stuffed into the pockets of his lab coat.

KONWAY
Not much yet, Commander.

He walks over to an enormous cage sitting in a shadowed area of the room. Feral and his entourage follow. The cage currently houses an extremely irritated-looking Dr. Viper, although he is mostly in silhouette, sitting in the furthest and darkest corner of the cage from the light. We can tell, however, that he is naked, having been relieved of his lab coat. His ear is tagged and he's wearing a collar with a tracking device on it. A green light shines on the device. We can also tell that Viper's tail is partially regrown. His eyes glow with suppressed fury in the darkness.

KONWAY
We've only just begun studying him. But as you can see...

He takes a doctor's pen light from his pocket and shines it into the cage, showing everyone the partially regrown tail in its narrow beam.

KONWAY
...his severed tail is already regrowing itself. His regenerative capabilities are quite remarkable.

FERAL
(bored)
Fascinating. And how about finding a means of curing him?

Konway flicks the flashlight off, sticking it back into his pocket.

KONWAY
Curing him?

FERAL
Turning him back to normal.

KONWAY
That's difficult to say. I'll need research the original Viper Mutagen formula. I called Megakat Biochemical Labs about getting ahold of Dr. Zyme's original notes, but they can't find them. In the meantime, I could study his biochemistry and genetic makeup, but the specimen is... most uncooperative.

FERAL
(grunts)
"Specimen."

KONWAY
A shame we couldn't get ahold of his original tail. I could study its genetic makeup without having to draw any blood from him.

Commander Feral leans closer to the cage and uses his baton to rattle the bars a bit, earning a hiss from the caged villain. Felina fidgets a bit. She isn't nervous. She just doesn't seem to think her uncle ought to be antagonizing the caged mutant.

FERAL
How do you like your new accommodations, Dr. Viper? Or should I say Dr. Purvis?

Another angry hiss. Eyes glowing more brightly, the figure in the shadows steps forward a bit.

VIPER
Dr. Purvisss is dead... only Dr. Viper livesss!

FERAL
Be that as it may, you're going to get turned back into him, at least if I have anything to say about it.

Viper tenses and recoils as if in horror, like a vampire shown the cross.

FERAL
Then you can stand trial for your crimes.

He turns to leave, pausing to throw back over his shoulder:

FERAL
Dr. Purvis!

Viper snarls and rushes forward into full view, gripping the bars and shaking them as Feral walks out with Felina and the two commandos. Konway sighs and signals to two LAB ASSISTANTS to come forward. One of them begins loading an air rifle with a tranquilizer dart.

VIPER
You can't keep me in here, Feral! I'll get out, and when I do, I'll--

The group leaves, slamming the door, cutting Viper's threat short as we see the lab assistant taking aim with the tranquilizer rifle. The door shuts just before we see him fire.

INT. ENFORCER HEADQUARTERS - LAB HALLWAY

The group walks down the hall. We hear the muted "Pew!" of the tranquilizer rifle.

FELINA
You shouldn't have antagonized him like that, Uncle.

FERAL
Why not? Don't tell me you're going soft on that mutated psychopath, Lieutenant.

FELINA
(sighs and shakes her head)
No. I'm just being pragmatic. He's dangerous and unstable. I get that you're angry at him but in my professional opinion it's unwise to keep tormenting him. I mean, he did just threaten you.

Feral stops and turns, pointing his baton at her. She stops, as do the two commandos behind her. Feral leans down to be eye to eye with his niece.

FERAL
Thank you for your concern, Lieutenant, but he isn't going anywhere. He won't escape to get revenge against me!

Although he remains bent over and face to face with Felina, he eyes the two commandos.

FERAL
Isn't that so, gentlemen?

The commandos swallow nervously and nod.

COMMANDO #3/COMMANDO #4
(at the same time)
Yes sir!

FERAL
(rising)
Good.

The Ferals continue on while the commandos remain in the hall to guard the lab door.

INT. ENFORCER HEADQUARTERS - ANOTHER HALLWAY

There's a "ding" and Feral and Felina get off the elevator, where they're met by an eager LIEUTENANT COMMANDER STEEL, who comes running up with some green goop in an evidence bag. A couple of commandos trot up behind him in perfect lock step.

FERAL
What in the world is that...?

STEEL
Our crime scene techs tell me it's some kind of amorphous slime from one of Dr. Viper's creatures.

FERAL
(momentarily confused)
Creatures?
(realizing)
Ah, yes. That big kat-mushroom friend of his. The one who sprung him the last time he was here.

STEEL
There's no danger of that, Commander. He got splattered everywhere by the SWAT Kats, apparently.

FELINA
With all due respect, Lieutenant Commander, that particular monster of Viper's has proven capable of reforming himself after being blown apart.

Steel scowls at his superior officer's niece.

FERAL
Lieutenant Feral is right, Steel. Viper's friend is exceptionally hard to kill. Was that all they found?

Steel frowns and looks at the bag. The contents slosh and gurgle.

STEEL
Uh... yes sir, I think so. At least, of the creature.

FERAL
Then we assume he isn't dead. Get that specimen up to the bio-tech lab and have extra guards put on Viper. I'd rather not have a repeat of the last time he managed to escape right out from under our noses. So Viper remains in Konway's lab until he's Purvis again. Is that clear?

STEEL
Yes sir! Right away, Commander!

He and the two commandos accompanying him scurry off. Feral and Felina continue on their way.

FERAL
How irritating that we didn't find Dr. Viper's original tail at the collapsed factory.

FELINA
Don't worry, Uncle. I'm sure it'll turn up.

Fade to:

INT. MEGAKAT BIOCHEMICAL LABS - MAIN LAB

Fade in on Dr. Viper's severed tail lying on a specimen tray on the main lab of Megakat Biochemical. We slowly pull back from it. Standing over it, now in a lab coat, is Dr. Belljar. With him is his assistant BRIAN. It's nighttime outside, and there's a storm. Rain beats against the glass of the huge windows.

BELLJAR
If the Enforcers find out we have this, we could get into a lot of trouble.

He leans both hands on the table and studies the tail. Using a pencil, he prods at it. The tail jerks into twisting life and curls around the pencil, snapping it in half. The two scientists jerk back in surprise.

BELLJAR
Fascinating. Even after this long detached from Dr. Viper's body, it retains involuntary muscle spasms.

He frowns at the snapped off end of the pencil he's holding and tosses it into a vessel of cleaning alcohol. The tail continues wriggling a bit, relinquishing its hold on its end of the broken apart pencil, and then slowly stops.

BRIAN
Where'd you get that thing, anyway?

BELLJAR
At the collapsed wreck of the old tuna factory. Along with that.

He points to the flask of Viper Mutagen.

BELLJAR
It was in the bushes.

He turns and walks over, followed by Brian.

INT. MEGAKAT BIOCHEMICAL LABS - HALLWAY

The two leave the room, stepping into the hallway where there is a (currently unoccupied) guard desk and bank of elevators.

BELLJAR
I haven't told the Enforcers about it yet because they're only interested in turning Viper back into Purvis. I want to find out what the flaw in the Viper Mutagen is so I can perfect it.

He sighs sadly.

BELLJAR
Newton Zyme was my friend and mentor. I'm determined to perfect his formula so it can benefit katkind.

He makes a fist.

BELLJAR
If only he hadn't destroyed his original notes...

He sighs again.

BELLJAR
Anyway, Brian, I'm going to go finish up in my office before I go home. You tidy up in the lab and put that... thing in cold storage.

He walks off. Brian lingers, then walks back into the lab.

Brian walks in and contemplates the severed tail, then the flask of mutagen.

BRIAN
(to himself)
What Dr. Belljar doesn't know is I've already been working on my own perfected version of the Viper Mutagen.

He goes and gets a second flask and removes the stopper. Getting a syringe, he draws some of the green liquid from the flask. Then he puts the flask away. The flask of mutagen Viper made and which Belljar found at the destroyed factory remains on the table.

BRIAN
I'm convinced the flaw wasn't in Dr. Zyme's original formula but in Purvis' genetic makeup. Perhaps injecting the perfected formula into Viper's severed tail will have the reverse effect? If I can turn this snake tail back into a normal kat tail... then I'll have solved all our problems at the same time!

Gently, he injects the tail with the mutagen.

BRIAN
We can rid Megakat City of Dr. Viper by returning Purvis to normal and fulfill Dr. Zyme's original dream at the same time!

Nothing happens. He frowns.

BRIAN
Well, it was worth a try...

The tail twitches again, startling him. He leaps back in fear, dropping the syringe. The tray clatters noisily to the floor. and the flask of Viper Mutagen recovered from the tuna factory is knocked off of the table by the upending tray. It smashes on the floor and spills all over the severed tail. Brian watches in wide-eye surprise and horror as a change begins happening in the tail. It twitches rapidly and begins swelling in size, and something begins to bud forth from the severed stump.

Terrified, Brian backs up. We see the eerie-looking shadow of the tail rise up on its tip, casting itself over the assistant as he presses himself back against the table. The budding form sprouting from the stump grows what are unmistakably arms and legs, and then a head with three longs spikes protruding from the top. There are hissing and growling noises. The thing keeps growing, the shadow swelling and swelling in size as Brian's bulging eyes follow it up and up, a scream hitching in its throat.

The shadow's head turns. It's looking at Brian. We then abruptly shift to the creature's point of view and it rushes at the hapless assistant with a roar.

INT. MEGAKAT BIOCHEMICAL LABS - HALLWAY

Dr. Belljar is halfway to his office down when he hears a fearsome, raspy roar, muffled by distance and the lab doors, followed by the sound of Brian's scream and smashing glass. He turns and runs back.

The lab door is swinging on its hinges. Timidly, Belljar enters and finds Brian lying on the floor. The entire place as been trashed. Kneeling, he checks Brian's pulse, then is startled by the sound of glass falling. Glancing up he looks at the window. It's been shattered. On the floor, Brian groans. Noticing the syringe, Belljar picks it up and examines it with dawning horror. Outside, the storm roars its fury and lightning arcs through the air.
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by marklungo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:44 pm

An all-new, not-a-novelization Koosh fanfic out of nowhere? It's a miracle! Looking forward to the rest of it.

As for now, I have to say that scientists keeping secrets, especially about the Viper mutagen, never turns out well in the SWAT Kats universe. When will they learn? Also, I'm surprised that Feral actually had a civil conversation with Steel.
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
United States of America

Post by Kooshmeister » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Eh, best of intentions and all that. But if SWAT Kats has taught me anything it's that no matter what you invent, someone will take it and use it for evil, or it'll otherwise go horribly wrong somehow. How kat society got as advanced as it did is beyond me. Unless supervillains are a recent thing.
1 x